Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Genocyber posted:

The text in DQ8 is totally a bit blurry, at least on an XL. Also disappointed by the much barer interface. And it's downright criminal that they didn't use the bottom screen for dialogue and instead opted to take up half of the top screen with it.

Otherwise it's fine and I'm looking forward for the significant content changes. Just disappointed about some presentation stuff that keeps it from being the definitive version of the game.

Luckily the blurry text disappears for the most part as you progress. They start adding a black outline around most text that covers up the bad anti-aliasing that made the early text blurry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

In Training posted:

I think DQ7 had sound level options under Audio so you can play with the volumes of music/effects separately. Or in misremembering

DQ8 has them under Settings which is under Misc.

Also some thoughts from someone playing DQ8 for the first time: I like how the MC picks up pots/barrels before busting them on the ground.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Not everyone is able to shatter pots with their mind, unfortunately.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Awesome Welles posted:

IIRC the composer is a massive rear end in a top hat for a variety of reasons and there was some sort of contractual issue for the tracks to be reused outside of Japan.

But hopefully a hack will be out soon to get the music back in as someone said before.

God drat, I got laid off the first of the year and I didn't preorder this and I can't find my PS2 copy. Until I get a new job and a non-unemployment paycheck I'll have to live vicariously through this thread.

E: beaten

The hack already exists according to Neogaf. They're already playing it with the orchestral soundtrack.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=228736664&postcount=272

I don't know where to get it but everyone needs to do it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Is there a list of which abilities differ from the PS2 version, and how?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Bongo Bill posted:

Is there a list of which abilities differ from the PS2 version, and how?

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/160146-dragon-quest-viii-journey-of-the-cursed-king/74285610

Basically the big changes are Helm Splitter getting a small nerf and Twin Dragon Lash getting a massive one. Most everything else is unchanged or buffed, especially in the case of magic.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
I was going to skip this release when I noticed that it was going to be missing the orchestral soundtrack. I'm glad I got it still. The music doesn't sound as full, but the arrangements are nearly identical, so it's an alright compromise.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I haven't played 8 since release. Is the Creme KingSlime thing a brand new enemy? I finished the waterfall cave and was on my way back to town when I saw it. Figured "It's in the starting area no way it'll be THAT bad" and got Yangus murdered before I ran away.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I haven't played 8 since release. Is the Creme KingSlime thing a brand new enemy? I finished the waterfall cave and was on my way back to town when I saw it. Figured "It's in the starting area no way it'll be THAT bad" and got Yangus murdered before I ran away.

Yeah it's new to this version, and in fact you'll have to take a picture of it for a sidequest not too far from where you are.

ROFL Octopus fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 21, 2017

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

some guy on the bus posted:

The hack already exists according to Neogaf. They're already playing it with the orchestral soundtrack.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=228736664&postcount=272

I don't know where to get it but everyone needs to do it.

Yeah the proper way to play this game is buy a physical copy to support the series, then put that poo poo on the shelf and play the :filez: version with restored music.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/160146-dragon-quest-viii-journey-of-the-cursed-king/74285610

Basically the big changes are Helm Splitter getting a small nerf and Twin Dragon Lash getting a massive one. Most everything else is unchanged or buffed, especially in the case of magic.

A thing that's pointed out here is that, Jessica's capstone Knives ability has been buffed so hard that, under certain circumstances applicable to most/all of the post-game bosses, it's better than Twin Dragon Lash was. So that might change some decisions.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
This is a very good game. My first dq since one. Pleasantly surprised.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ROFL Octopus posted:

Yeah it's new to this version, and in fact you'll have to take a picture of it for a sidequest not too far from where you are.

That's gooreat. I liked his deslime so I'm glad to hear that I get to have a quest featuring it :v:

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

A thing that's pointed out here is that, Jessica's capstone Knives ability has been buffed so hard that, under certain circumstances applicable to most/all of the post-game bosses, it's better than Twin Dragon Lash was. So that might change some decisions.

Oh, hell yes. My terrible build decisions are vindicated. :getin:

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Aw what, the Hero doesn't go super saiyan when you go into Super High Tension anymore :(

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hivac posted:

Oh, hell yes. My terrible build decisions are vindicated. :getin:

Sudden Death is still weaker than the old Twin Dragon Lash, but you can still end up doing more damage than the equivalent (with Oomph applied in both cases) if you equip a sword that does effective damage against the right monster family.

On the other hand, I've now got somebody convincing me that Fisticuffs works great with Jessica because she's got so much MP and Thin Air does damage based on level, not Strength.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Sudden Death is still weaker than the old Twin Dragon Lash, but you can still end up doing more damage than the equivalent (with Oomph applied in both cases) if you equip a sword that does effective damage against the right monster family.

On the other hand, I've now got somebody convincing me that Fisticuffs works great with Jessica because she's got so much MP and Thin Air does damage based on level, not Strength.

that'd depend on how early she gets it, no? it was a pro early game choice for yangus because of how few points in fisticuffs it cost before but i dunno about now.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that'd depend on how early she gets it, no? it was a pro early game choice for yangus before but i dunno about now.

Jessica gets Thin Air at 68 skill points, which is quite a bit later than when Hero and Yangus get it (42).

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Aw what, the Hero doesn't go super saiyan when you go into Super High Tension anymore :(

Excuse me what is this

Why did they nerf him?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I was all like "man, the first boss of DQ8 is ridiculously hard, I barely won!" and when I got back to town realized I had never bothered to buy any new armor or weapons :downs:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

How does DQ8 run on an older 3DS?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Hahaha holy poo poo, the cutscene where you get introduced to Angelo rules

ROFL Octopus posted:

Maybe look up a guide on good skill builds.

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/583527-dragon-quest-viii-journey-of-the-cursed-king/40808249

That's a guide that tells you new alchemy recipes for each story point. You can make some powerful stuff early on and imo it makes the game more fun.

Don't sell gold bars, orichalcum or slime crowns.

Other than that, just explore and have fun!
this link feels like cheating and i love it, thank you my man

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 21, 2017

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Excuse me what is this

Why did they nerf him?

It wasn't in the japanese version either time. It was something added to the original english version. Like voice acting.

Apparently they didn't feel like doing it again. Terrible people.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

Nihilarian posted:

How does DQ8 run on an older 3DS?

Fine, the only thing you get out of a New 3DS is nub stick camera controls.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Nub Stick Camera is pretty awesome though, gotta say.

Didn't know there would be no 3D, not that I really care.

Also not having any trouble with the text, and my eyes are bad.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I don't really care about the orchestrated music but this, this is hosed up

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Does the 3DS version of 8 have the same weird selling prices for certain items like higher end healing herbs?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Hivac posted:

Does the 3DS version of 8 have the same weird selling prices for certain items like higher end healing herbs?

Yeah. It's supposed to prevent you from abusing the now instant alchemy pot to make fucktons of money in a few minutes.

Of course, you can now make multiple things at a time, so you can still do it, it'll just take longer than a few minutes because you'll have to build up startup funds.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Supremezero posted:

Yeah. It's supposed to prevent you from abusing the now instant alchemy pot to make fucktons of money in a few minutes.

Of course, you can now make multiple things at a time, so you can still do it, it'll just take longer than a few minutes because you'll have to build up startup funds.

Whoops. Do the selling prices ever go back to normal?

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

ZZT the Fifth posted:

gently caress this port

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

some guy on the bus posted:

How can you not like Maribel or be wanting more story than 7 has?

Where are you in it?

8.5 hours in. At the village where animals are humans and vice versa. It's the least a dragon quest game has ever pulled me in.

Edit:
Rad, DQ 8 just arrived!

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jan 21, 2017

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

BadAstronaut posted:

8.5 hours in. At the village where animals are humans and vice versa. It's the least a dragon quest game has ever pulled me in.

Edit:
Rad, DQ 8 just arrived!

The town with the stone people did nothing for you?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The best DQ games (5 and 8) are the least reliant on party chat to give their characters actual personalities and interactions, which I think ended up being my biggest problem with 7. When the appeal is that everyone in the world's dialogue updates Trails style and you can have your characters react to nearly everything, it majorly sucks that instead of happening naturally you constantly have to jam the "what do you guys think" button.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Last Celebration posted:

The town with the stone people did nothing for you?

Not nothing, but this game on the whole isn;t hooking me.
Got 8 and played the first 15 minutes and think I am going to like this much more.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Len posted:

I'm at the sullied sanctum in dq7 what are the win abilities so I can just cruise through all these battles? Lightning seems to have stopped being useful

Thin air and scorch will get you through mobs easy. Knuckle sandwich and sword dance for bosses until you unlock champion and blade of ultimate power.

I suggest not using blade of ultimate power since it is ultra cheese and you'll have no challenge.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

precision posted:

I was all like "man, the first boss of DQ8 is ridiculously hard, I barely won!" and when I got back to town realized I had never bothered to buy any new armor or weapons :downs:

This is exactly how you're supposed to do it. You can't afford anything good right when you start. Most think you're supposed to grind at the beginning but no.

Now that you made it this far, I recommend not buying weapons and armor until the second town. You'll be able to get the awesome poo poo now since you didn't waste your money on the weakest weapons and armor.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

The best DQ games (5 and 8) are the least reliant on party chat to give their characters actual personalities and interactions, which I think ended up being my biggest problem with 7. When the appeal is that everyone in the world's dialogue updates Trails style and you can have your characters react to nearly everything, it majorly sucks that instead of happening naturally you constantly have to jam the "what do you guys think" button.

Eh, I don't feel like 5 is a whole lot better, if only because party chat adds so much to Parry and Mädchen and all the good characters get way better with it.

BadAstronaut posted:

Not nothing, but this game on the whole isn;t hooking me.
Got 8 and played the first 15 minutes and think I am going to like this much more.

8 is probably way better, but I do hope you come back to it someday; it's world is pretty singular and there were some callbacks that truly impressed me.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Am I misremembering or does 8 Hero's skill point gain loving suck now?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm stuck, pretty early. I'm trying to get into the Eastern Tower to find Jessica. I got her letter from her room, but I can't get in. What do I do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm stuck, pretty early. I'm trying to get into the Eastern Tower to find Jessica. I got her letter from her room, but I can't get in. What do I do?

Talk to Bangerz.