Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Apoplexy posted:

Offense is aim.

I got no hits with that either, only flanking aim bonus stats from enemy units.

EDIT: nvm Apparently LW doesn't mod your base soldier aim.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jan 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Caros posted:

Less cool was the mission I just finished where there were zero enemy pods between me and the extraction on a VIP extract mission. No concealment at all, I simply walked to the extraction point over the course of five turns. Advent is getting loving lazy.

Edit: So that is an interesting glitch. My squad leader was gravely injured at the end of the mission despite no shots being fired. Must have tripped coming off the skyranger or something.

They talked about base personnel maybe being faceless. What if extraction targets can be, as well?

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Ornamented Death posted:

Definitely not worth doing a mission unless you can infiltrate to 100% at least. I just finished one to rescue four civilians and it was a fuckin' slog.

Yes and no. Some mission types are completely doable if your squad if prepped and you are willing to go in hot. Had a relay destruction mission on a REALLY short timer pop up earlier(i.e.: 11hrs.). Reward was for a scientist so I took the chance. Sent out 2 grenadiers, 2 technicals, 2 assaults, a ranger, and a gunner. Cratered half a church taking out the roaming Muton patrol and got the drop on the 5 pods(20ish) Advent/Mechs guarding the warehouse with the relay. 2 rockets, 4 flamers, and and obscene amount of grenades did the trick for the rest. Sidenote: grenades may not be cover destroyers as much anymore but rockets and some well placed flames do the job even better. Even with the rear end in a top hat reinforcement pod dropping in the cemetery behind my left flank I still pulled it off with a turn to spare. By far the most intense X2 experience I've had to date.

The trick I've found is to scout the objective then make the call. Don't forget you can call for extract at any time. Start the ambush and pop the evac smoke right away if you think you might need it. If you don't have control of the situation in the 3-5ish turns it takes for evac to get there just dust off and live to fight another day.

Most rescue or jailbreak missions are pretty reliant on infiltration though. Generally any mission involving babysitting isn't going to end well if it gets crazy.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
holy poo poo what are these codex things and why are there three of them with a heavy turret

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Because you jammed a loving virtual spike into the head of an ADVENT officer, that's why.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Apoplexy posted:

Because you jammed a loving virtual spike into the head of an ADVENT officer, that's why.

Can I apologize and make them go away. Everyone on the ship was pressuring me to do it and I succumb easily to peer pressure

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
That final mission holy poo poo. I thought it was going to end like the original Wasteland with a mad dash for the door. Almost 30 years later and I still remember that.

And the teaser at the end. :shepspends:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Since my last LW2 gripe got a reply that told me exactly how to fix it, here's my next one:

When a dude finishes GTS or AWC training (or whatever), I don't really care about looking at that particular dude, but I really want to go to the GTS/AWC to set up another load of training. Is there a button that makes that happen, or do I have to go the long way every time?

e:

Jabor fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jan 21, 2017

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
You probably need to be at 100+ infiltration for the vip extract/hostage rescue missions because those are already very difficult and if something goes wrong you risk losing your whole squad being unable to get to the extraction zone, but on other mission types I think you can take a risk of 60-100% infiltrations if you have a decent squad, especially the untimed ones.

I'm liking LW2 balance a lot more (though I still think timers are too harsh) after getting a better sense of what to expect out of the infiltration mechanic and skipping missions appropriately.

Although the original long war really started to show its flaws in the horrible endgame slog so we probably won't be able to accurately judge the mod for a while.

Looking forward to the upcoming advent trump mods for xcom 2

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
On the topic of infiltration, I solid-snaked a VIP rescue at ~80% infiltration progress with a single shinobi. Tense as hell, but I figured it was worth it because a) it was my first scientist mission, b) it had a ridiculously short infiltration timer, so there was no chance of doing it legit, and c) even if I gently caress it up I'm only out a squaddie.

Well, I didn't totally solid-snake it, I positioned the VIP within one dash of the extraction and then got spotted on the alien turn and dashed for the evac. If any of the pods had overwatched or actually shot on their reveal it could have been bad, but none of them did and we got away clean.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Accurate.

Also holy poo poo sticking a silencer on a left-tree sniper with this mod is so dumb and broken and I love it. Especially when my sniper's first AWC perk was Shadowstrike or whatever it's called (+50 aim and crit chance in concealment). :getin: Popped like 5 heads before concealment broke.

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jan 21, 2017

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Also supply raids are terrifying. But fun!

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
LW2 is amazing. If you're having a hard time and/or you think a design decision is dumb, you need to RTFM before deciding it's the game's fault. LW2 is far less masochistic than LW1 if you understand the new mechanics.

Also there is no shame at all in playing at Rookie difficulty. That's what I'm doing and I'm having a great time. It's the right level of challenge to help understand the changed systems.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
After pulling off a successful rear guard action with troops dropping in every other turn, then doing a whole mission sneaking, this is the real MOD. This is how xcom2 should've been.

The strategy layer could be a little less micro manage-y though. Flipping Intel back and forth to get good missions is not a good mechanic.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Haha, gain 59 supplies for the month, lose 54 supplies for the month for unknown reasons.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I kinda dig what they're going for in LW2, though I think they could serve to lighten up the mission timers for loud missions.

CrimsonWolf
Aug 4, 2007

Is there a commanders choice option for LW2? I really like o keep my high aim low move guys from becoming assaults or shinobis, and my speedsters who can not shoot strait from becoming snipers.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Ornamented Death posted:

Haha, gain 59 supplies for the month, lose 54 supplies for the month for unknown reasons.

It's Faceless in your midst. Station a soldier with your largest supply-gathering operations.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Mandatory Assembly posted:

LW2 is amazing. If you're having a hard time and/or you think a design decision is dumb, you need to RTFM before deciding it's the game's fault. LW2 is far less masochistic than LW1 if you understand the new mechanics.

Also there is no shame at all in playing at Rookie difficulty. That's what I'm doing and I'm having a great time. It's the right level of challenge to help understand the changed systems.

Doesn't babby mode give you four extra turns for all timed missions?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Holy poo poo, the stuttering and FPS with Long War! The stuttering was like maybe twice as bad as vanilla on the tactical layer, but lol I'm getting 12 fps on the strategic layer. I can't play like this, it is real unfortunate that they never fixed the issues X-Com2 has with some hardware combos.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

CrimsonWolf posted:

Is there a commanders choice option for LW2? I really like o keep my high aim low move guys from becoming assaults or shinobis, and my speedsters who can not shoot strait from becoming snipers.

not yet, I imagine these kind of meta mods for LW2 will start pouring in in the next few weeks

Dongattack posted:

Holy poo poo, the stuttering and FPS with Long War! The stuttering was like maybe twice as bad as vanilla on the tactical layer, but lol I'm getting 12 fps on the strategic layer. I can't play like this, it is real unfortunate that they never fixed the issues X-Com2 has with some hardware combos.

This is one of my gripes as well - performance seems poor in the tactical game. I'm also getting giant loving maps though.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Anyone know of a mod to reduce wound times that works?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I like the game, but i'm legitimately confused as to why you'd ever do a mission with less than 100% infiltration. I just tried it and every pod had six enemies in it, with four pods on top of eachother.

Maybe for when I have more explosives?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

If you didn't dig LW 1 I'd say still give this one a shot. I couldn't stand it either but the mechanics in this one seems way fairer.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

TescoBag posted:

Anyone know of a mod to reduce wound times that works?

Yeah. Go into the LW2's XcomGameData.ini and find the entries that are for wound length. I turned mind down drastically, as well as made it so that there isn't this retarded enormous range for each wound sort. You're telling me someone can come out of a coma in the same time someone else can get over a scrape? Touche.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

CrimsonWolf posted:

No but they probably got rid of it since you can do this with the GTS.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

dogstile posted:

I like the game, but i'm legitimately confused as to why you'd ever do a mission with less than 100% infiltration. I just tried it and every pod had six enemies in it, with four pods on top of eachother.

If the objectives had just 'secure the area' you could pull it off by killing everything under the sun and calling it a day (as well as swimming in corpses and guns mods and all that poo poo). But AFAIK secure doesn't really exist outside of the remade starter mission.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
how bad is not doing the retaliation missions in LW2? I just had one pop up and I had nothing but scraps because both my squads were out doing poo poo. I decided to round up 5 guy and promptly got my rear end handed to me.

Is it intended to keep a squad ready at all times for those?

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Gyshall posted:

not yet, I imagine these kind of meta mods for LW2 will start pouring in in the next few weeks

This is one of my gripes as well - performance seems poor in the tactical game. I'm also getting giant loving maps though.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=688405905

There is one. Works with LW2.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Just make sure to pick classes you supposed to be able to pick, unless you feel like cheating.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

dogstile posted:

Don't forget that the intel>infil boost is retroactive. Worst case you can use it right before you start to push your infil score over the edge. That said, don't even bother depending on the mission. If you just have to hack a terminal or blow something up you can usually smash your way thru a few walls, saturate the area with smoke/fire/flashbangs and evac before they even know what hit them.

LW2 really does require a different mindset. You don't NEED to win every fight or kill every alien. Even if you can wipe the floor with them you are potentially tying up assets you could use elsewhere.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

"Not Created Equal and Hidden Potential cause some problems with stats"

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Is there a problem with rescuing captured soldiers in LW2? I'm on a jailbreak mission that said my previously captured guy would be there along with another VIP. I found the VIP, but my soldier is nowhere in the main ADVENT building. Also the mission objectives acknowledge i have an 'optional' objective to find my soldier, but its showing up in red? Could they be in another building than where the other VIP was? Has anyone else successfully rescued a captured soldier?

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Apoplexy posted:

It's Faceless in your midst. Station a soldier with your largest supply-gathering operations.

Also, if your adviser gets wounded during the mole hunt, you need to appoint a new one because they immediately get sent back the Avenger for healing. Found that out the hard way.

Cars remain my favorite weapons for dealing with large groups of Advent and Aliens.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
How functional is LW2? Should I wait for the first patch or just dive in?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I've had absolutely zero problems so far and I've been playing LW2 pretty much non-stop since the hour it came out.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

The Bramble posted:

Is there a problem with rescuing captured soldiers in LW2? I'm on a jailbreak mission that said my previously captured guy would be there along with another VIP. I found the VIP, but my soldier is nowhere in the main ADVENT building. Also the mission objectives acknowledge i have an 'optional' objective to find my soldier, but its showing up in red? Could they be in another building than where the other VIP was? Has anyone else successfully rescued a captured soldier?

I've noticed this as well on both rescue missions I've attempted. An additional human unit seems to show in the jail, but disappears as soon as you open the doors.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Apoplexy posted:

I've had absolutely zero problems so far and I've been playing LW2 pretty much non-stop since the hour it came out.

Thank you.

Should I get rid of all other mods, or are there still some QoL of UI mods that are good to go with LW2?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Here's a neat touch: I just received intel about supplies and it's the location where XCOM bought down the alien battleship in Gangplank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The Bramble posted:

In the videos linked earlier, rescuing the recruit was bugged. You could open the door but they would never activate for you to control them. I guess it's probably still bugged since he was playing the RC.