Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Your Taint posted:

This is honestly the best comedy to come along in at least a decade. The jokes can be both subtle and in your face. It's witty, intelligent, and every single person on it is awesome.

Although it seems like an awful lot of time and manpower just to torture four people. It seems like Todd the firemonster (?) could easily torture the four of them by himself.

Why wouldn't the bad place be wasteful? It's incorporeal, that means that there's no corporeal resources to exhaust.

Revisiting some of the older episodes with this twist confirmed, it's cool to see how certain things have new meaning and significance. For example, Chidi complaining about how teaching Eleanor is consuming "his afterlife" when we know now that this isn't even meant to be his reward has more depth, and really drives home his need to embrace this challenge.

I'm also increasingly convinced that Michael, by trying to create a mock good place, opened up a sort of reverse pandora's box. I think that it's very much possible for those in charge of the bad place to let this thing that they've created get out of hand, and operate contrary to their desires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
There are so many little hints.

Eleanor's comment about how Chidi shouldn't need glasses is a perfect one.

Also, when Janet said that it would be literally (physically?) impossible for her to visit Jason when he went to the Bad Place, this raised a red flag for me: Bad Janet visits all the time. I'm wondering if Janet meant it would be impossible because Jason cannot go to the bad place, he's already there. She is literal that way.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Patrovsky posted:

"Can anyone access our search history, or is this an incognito browsing situation, like when you're stalking a hot mailman from your work computer."

Eleanor has had a thing for mailmen since day one.

I feel like that's going to be part of what makes her jump-start the same realization in season 2(please please let this get renewed). She knows she doesn't belong so why would she get the perfect soulmate? That, plus the note, hopefully kickstarts some suspicion that The Good Place is not what it seems.

So far this show has been masterful at not falling into the typical serial show trap of dragging stuff out so why would that be any different for season 2? I have no idea where they can go with it but I have full confidence it'll be as satisfying as the ending to this season was.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
I think the weirdest change is all the froyo shops have been replaced by pizza shops. I can't wait to see what other weird small things Michael has changed.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
But what kind of pizza?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pineapple.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

frgildan posted:

I think the weirdest change is all the froyo shops have been replaced by pizza shops. I can't wait to see what other weird small things Michael has changed.

The adorable sleepy otters holding hands where replaced by a vicious ape and a dangerous predator.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

There's so many weird, interesting things to unpack from resetting things that season two is going to be a blast. Is Chidi going to have a fake Fake Eleanor to drive him crazy but who also will be undermining him? Is Jason going to just be Jason? Will Tahani have a "soulmate" who she can't deal with in other ways? What's going to happen when Janet can't get through to her husband? What's going to happen when Eleanor inevitably winds up running to the Medium Place again and Mindy says, "Why'd you come back? Send your friends to the Bad Place, after all?"

I feel like the ending here opens up the metaphysics of the show again in a good way. It always bothered me that, "You get a point tally and then we decide where you get to go!" was this big thing that nobody knew about when it's an underlying assumption in pretty much every religion mankind has ever had. There's probably more to the Bad Place than just being stuck with hot pokers forever., too. Maybe the point totals don't stop with death (though we can't trust any point system that the Bad Place tells us).

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
Eleanor seemed to regain the memory of her death when she went to the medium place. I wonder if she makes a second trip will she remember the first go around at the good place?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

frgildan posted:

Eleanor seemed to regain the memory of her death when she went to the medium place. I wonder if she makes a second trip will she remember the first go around at the good place?

Huh, I didn't notice that. I think you're right. They did claim to have erased that embarrassing death from her memory.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Just watched the finale last night and it lived up to expectations. Hoping there's a season two.

I've read in many places online that people were saying that this pulled off the twist better than Westworld. It rings a little false for me because TV audiences are conditioned to search for the twist in hour long mystery dramas but not for half hour sitcoms (even if this was presented as a serial mystery show). Sure there were some twists during the season (Jason being a bad person namely), but those were more standard sitcom hijinx style twists than paradigm shifting ones. If there had been a huge community online going over every detail with a fine-tooth comb as they did for Westworld, I'll bet the theories that this was actually the bad place – that were theorized by some in the beginning – would have stuck around.

But now that we know what the game is, I think it'll be harder for Schur + co to pull off such a thing in the next season, if they decide to do one at all.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

Huh, I didn't notice that. I think you're right. They did claim to have erased that embarrassing death from her memory.

They probably did it so that they could introduce another Eleanor later, and pretend she had been at the site of her death (and therefore be able to justify why the "mixup" had happened).

Unless second Eleanor wasn't planned, given that the real Eleanor wasn't intended to confess.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

They probably did it so that they could introduce another Eleanor later, and pretend she had been at the site of her death (and therefore be able to justify why the "mixup" had happened).

Unless second Eleanor wasn't planned, given that the real Eleanor wasn't intended to confess.

I suspect Real Eleanor was a reaction to fake Eleanor going off script and wasn't at all planned. Michael panicked. On the subject of her remembering her death, Bell really sells it at the end because you can see that she realized something when she woke up. I'm assuming it's that Real Eleanor was nowhere in her memory.

Also, Eleanor telling Michael he's basic just before he wipes their memories was a pretty great way for her to go out.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

frgildan posted:

What indicated that to you? The flashback doesn't necessarily mean that they remember it, does it?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Technically it's the moment of death her memories were wiped for, not the moments immediately preceding that one

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
There are so many great moments where the dialogue opens up on a second rewatch. When Chidi mentions how Eleanor citing Kant "might be the happiest moment of my life." Eleanor says, "no offense dude, but if that's true, that's a real bummer of a life." On a first reading, this is just a tossed off amusing comment, but on another level, she's inadvertently stumbling upon a deeper truth about the life he lived.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
What a loving amazing twist. I was enjoying this as a 'low stakes' comedy, but FUUUUCK, when Michael laughed my jaw dropped.

I really wish I put this in my Top 10 now :-| At least there's 2017's one.

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.
I haven't posted in this thread, but I just have to say that this is easily one of my favourite shows to come out last year. I was perfectly content to wallow in Kristen Bell being adorable, Ted Danson doddering about in a manner not unlike his role in Bored to Death and the hilarious dialogue but they actually managed to craft an intricate world/mythos (I guess?) and then pull the rug out from under me.

If there is no second season, we are all in the bad place.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

I like it's obvious it's hell when even their lovely devil office neutron coffee got a weird taste to gently caress it.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

cant cook creole bream posted:

The adorable sleepy otters holding hands where replaced by a vicious ape and a dangerous predator.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Eleanor you really suck

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Time to rewatch the entire series and see all the extended eps

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Eleanor you really suck

This 45 second stretch of the episode is so giffable, I love it.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Higgy posted:

Ted Danson deserves All of the Awards for this. :allears:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is there really any question that this will be renewed? I could have sworn it already had been.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

precision posted:

Is there really any question that this will be renewed? I could have sworn it already had been.

According to TVGrimreaper, who has a really good track record, it will but it hasn't been yet. They might be saving it for upfronts.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

precision posted:

Ken Tremendous has said the network told him to start planning for a second season, but hasn't officially renewed the show yet.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I got spoiled from Couch Chat but I still wasn't fully expecting it, and definitely wasn't expecting Michael to be in on it. That was amazing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

AbsolutelySane posted:

I suspect Real Eleanor was a reaction to fake Eleanor going off script and wasn't at all planned. Michael panicked. On the subject of her remembering her death, Bell really sells it at the end because you can see that she realized something when she woke up. I'm assuming it's that Real Eleanor was nowhere in her memory.

I think they probably had Real Eleanor somewhere on the 14 million point plan, presumably to stir up shirt when things started settling. Perhaps they weren't planning on using her in the first few months, though.

Another thought occurred to me. If they figure it out again, they have to pretend that they haven't otherwise it's back to the lightning that tears your flesh off and the like.

Oh, and I bet there's a fake "Tahini's sister" in the new neighborhood set up just because it would make her miserable.

Higgy posted:

I suspect that was improvised mainly because it's so absurdly petty that I couldn't see them scripting it in.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I love the pot-breaking scene, it's the perfect expression of frustrated, low effort, 'look at what you make me do' pettiness.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
This ending is so brilliant. It isn't so much just "its been hell all along!" but that Micheal's idea of hell is a situational comedy.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
As he said, he watched all ten seasons of Friends.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Mulva posted:

As he said, he watched all ten seasons of Friends.

oh my god it was research

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Snooze Cruise posted:

oh my god it was research

Things Micheal learned from American sitcoms that he implemented in his Bad Place neighborhood:

-Some people are meant to be together, but they will emotionally destroy each other by dating other people for seasons years before they actually hook up
-Lies always escalate
-People don't really change, and if they do it's undone by the next episode

There's definitely more but I can't think of it at the moment

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
That finale was forking amazing.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

The back cover of Celebrity Baby Plastic Surgery Disasters was an ad for a Dennis Feinstein fragrance.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

PCjr sidecar posted:

The back cover of Celebrity Baby Plastic Surgery Disasters was an ad for a Dennis Feinstein fragrance.

That's amazing, nice catch. I would love to see Ron Swanson in his Bad Place. I imagine it would be him as the head of a government agency and only had vegetarian options available to him.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anyone got Tahani's magazine cover?

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Sorry, not the best screencap off of Hulu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Poor Tahani :(

• Locked thread