Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Lassitude posted:

Oh sweet. I am expecting stuff like "Peasant Bowmen (Fire Arrows)" but I'm glad they'll go beyond the rather sparse roster and make some genuinely new units.

Bowmen with fire arrows are probably a given. Grail Pilgrims were already featuring on a promo art IIRC. Knights Errant (think less experienced and more hotheaded low-tier heavy cav) and Questing Knights (heavy melee cav with great weapons instead of lances) are pretty obvious possibilities. Foot knights might be welcome to give the Brets at least one infantry unit that doesn't fold completely against heavy infantry. And they can probably throw in the older edition merrimaults becuase why not throw in the Robin Hood-expies? Also, Damsels are alost certainly going to get IIR Lore of Life/Beasts as an alternative to Lore of Heavens.

wiegieman posted:

Bring lots of cannons, it lets you skip the siege engine building. Actually, bring lots of cannons in general. Like 6, everywhere. And yes, garrisons do get bigger.

No kidding. my normal dorf stacks later in the campaign normally carted around 2-3 grudgethrowers and cannons each, plus some Quarrelers or Thunderers. Dorfs need their artillery superiority. And yeah, why bother with siege towers or rams? Just nuke a tower or two to create a blindspot for your army, then reduce the walls at leisure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
A Beettonian noble without a horse?! Are you mad?!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

VanSandman posted:

A Beettonian noble without a horse?! Are you mad?!

Virtue of Empathy

The Virtue of Montfort, the Knight is a champion of the peasants and thus may be fielded on foot. If he is not the army general, peasants within 12″ may use his leadership rather than the typical 6″.

Also, it seems Honga.net (it is a site that compiles stats of Total War units, used it for years) already has the Bretonnian lord skills, while we are on the subject. Probably there since launch given those guys have level ups. It will all probably get tweaked for launch, but should give an idea of what they will have.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Ravenfood posted:

Not really, no. On a strategic level, you'd still be completely fine. Underway march to their city and take it over, build walls to hold the ground, and just roll over them that way.

Wrong, if you don't remember how wretched it was back when the AI could attack + move or don't get why even the small +10% home-territory move mod is STILL immensely popular then I don't know what to tell you. It's a pain in the rear end when an AI stack is refusing to engage and not falling for underway/ambush, especially once you've got large territories like some of the central orklands. Factions with high speed across the board like Beastmen would be bloody wretched to deal with if that change you suggested came to be, let alone some of the stuff that goes down when playing Dwarfs. Not to mention that all-cav stacks would break the game in half if they suddenly got like ~40%+ extra move on the world map. Given that defending forces get one free disengage on the world map it'd be almost impossible to pin ANY faster stack down unless you started your turn right on top of them.

Luckily I guess this is all academic anyway since that move-based-on-army idea will never come to be so whatever.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Small units of foot knights that boost men-at-arms (like, aspiring champions size but less powerful directly and more about increasing stats for peasants) would be cool, but Bretonnia having real heavy infantry would be disappointing.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

They should just get aspiring champion-esque units that boost the leadership or whatever of nearby peasants instead of actually giving them real heavy infantry-- like literally a copy of Aspiring Champions would be good.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
The iron drakes that grombrindal start with are monstrously effective against the basic greenskin units you fight at the start of the campaign. They require a little finesse so you don't roast your own guys, but they can stop a charging unit dead in its tracks with a single gout of flame

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I just started a legendary empire run, and thinking it could make confederation easier I vandalized Marieburg. Turns out they can just poo poo out armies and they had 3 full stacks with only Marieburg city, while I could only afford 2 with the whole reikland. As I myself was repeatedly thoroughly thrashed by gangs of 4-5 vampire stacks I sicked my vassal at them, now my vassal is an unstoppable juggernaut owning most of the vampire lands and fields like 6-7 stacks of varying sizes, while also pestering all hostile stacks with a minor swarm of agents, all the while still loving loving me, their small poor master. :shepface:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I've never been able to maintain a vassal relationship that long, looks like Altdorf is gonna become Mariendorf soon?

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
I don't know if it's still like this but it used to be that every time someone declares war on you, your vassal has the choice whether they want to back you up or break away so watch out for that. There's no popup saying that's what happened but they'll suddenly stop being your vassals.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Carcer posted:

The iron drakes that grombrindal start with are monstrously effective against the basic greenskin units you fight at the start of the campaign. They require a little finesse so you don't roast your own guys, but they can stop a charging unit dead in its tracks with a single gout of flame

They are especially effective at clearing enemies off city walls, or blasting enemies clumped up in gates. I've found that the flamethrowers have a bit of arc to them, so the trick is to position them juuust at maximum range.

Note that the RoR version is basically this with armor piercing :supaburn: making them highly effective against clumped up units in general. I guess the Trollhammer Torpedo variants are basically like an infantry counterpart to cannons.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Trollhammers are for killing monstrous infantry like, well, trolls. And crypt horrors, tree kin, etc.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
They can brutalize characters if the stars align and you get a clear shot at one.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Thought I heard something. Must've just been the wind.

Before and after.

245 kills in one wind of death. Decided not to take raise dead because it's too good and took wind of death instead but it might be even better, but I guess most players don't put all their infantry neatly in one row like that.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Trujillo posted:

Thought I heard something. Must've just been the wind.

Before and after.

245 kills in one wind of death. Decided not to take raise dead because it's too good and took wind of death instead but it might be even better, but I guess most players don't put all their infantry neatly in one row like that.

warhammer.jpeg

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Is there a way to change snow maps to grasslands or something? Tired of meeting chaos for great, epic battles on garbage eye-hurting snow maps in every campaign

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I've never really tried a VC campaign, so I started one. What's with Templehof running around with 4 half stacks on turn 3? How do you deal with the sheer number of troops when you don't have much better than skeletons?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

NeurosisHead posted:

I've never really tried a VC campaign, so I started one. What's with Templehof running around with 4 half stacks on turn 3? How do you deal with the sheer number of troops when you don't have much better than skeletons?

I've never seen Templehof with that sort of power that quickly....But...

By having a much better lord that can destroy their leader in a minute, crumbling their army.

Which LL did you pick?

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

NeurosisHead posted:

With the right moves you can take Castle Templehof on the first turn and have Sylvania united in ~6-7 turns even as Kemmler on legendary so any starting lord can do it. On the first turn, raise dead in your own land and take them all, raise up a second general and start recruiting. March your main army on the templehof stack, use your elite troops to pick it apart and use overcast nehek to keep your army healthy for the next fight. After you beat the first stack it'll retreat to a spot that puts it in range of the Templehof garrison. Raise dead in the templehof region and you should have almost a full stack now on the first turn. Attack the stack that retreated and when the battle starts the templehof garrison will try to run to the retreated stack. Pick them off while they're running and use any vanguard deployment units you have to kill what's left of the retreated stack. Win that battle and you'll have just enough range to walk into castle templehof on the first turn.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 20, 2017

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
How do you take Castle Templehof when it has quite a strong garrison, including multiple units of graveguard protecting it on turn 1? Vlads strong but at level 1 or 2 he's going to get pulled down eventually.

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

I've done it T1 - you can swamp the grave guards with raise dead units and let the blood knights go to work on cycle charges - vlad himself can tank a ton as well. The important thing is to fight the garrison in the field when it helps the Templehof army, not against the walls of the city.

edit: he also starts with vargheists iirc which also help a lot

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Carcer posted:

How do you take Castle Templehof when it has quite a strong garrison, including multiple units of graveguard protecting it on turn 1? Vlads strong but at level 1 or 2 he's going to get pulled down eventually.
Does the difficulty affect garrison size & makeup or something? Because on hard Castle Templehof's garrison is not much more then a bunch of skeleton spearmen.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Carcer posted:

I have never seen Templehof with a garrison of graveguard, are you using any mods?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
:psyduck: I think I'm going insane. I'm sure I fought grave guard while taking templehof on about turn 3 in my latest game but I've just started a new campaign to check and its got a lovely garrison.

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

Honestly I thought I remembered grave guards too but I'm probably just a fool

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

I don't think there are any special garrisons at all other than each factions capital.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Thinking about it its probably the AI upgrading to a lvl 2 city and then building the garrison building. I'm not sure how the AI interacts with growth, but assuming the AI even respects building timers then there's a window of 4 turns before the garrison hulks out.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Carcer posted:

Thinking about it its probably the AI upgrading to a lvl 2 city and then building the garrison building. I'm not sure how the AI interacts with growth, but assuming the AI even respects building timers then there's a window of 4 turns before the garrison hulks out.

Yeah, you'd have to wait until turn 3 or 4 for them to have the garrison building. Usually with the turn 1 (or turn 2) strategy you aren't really fighting anything in a siege since the basic garrison should get dragged into a field battle and deplete itself beforehand. Whatever exists would be near-dead by the time you do siege, though you probably don't want to auto just to fully avoid tower damage--you can manually keep things out of the line of fire but auto will not.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

NeurosisHead posted:

You use Vlaaad, Vlaaad the Daaad!

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Fighting vampire counts as vampire counts is all about dueling and killing the enemy lord. It doesn't matter in the slightest if you lose thousands of zombies or skeletons. Swamp your enemies in an ocean of the dead while Vlad rips their pathetic lords apart limb from limb.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

I've got like 1500 hours in this game but never played a VC Campaign past turn 100. poo poo gets boring really really fast

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Zudgemud posted:

You use Vlaaad, Vlaaad the Daaad!

Yeah, I had started with one of the Wizard legendary lords, which was terrible.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

NeurosisHead posted:

Yeah, I had started with one of the Wizard legendary lords, which was terrible.

Ghorst rules immensely but isn't the blender on wheels mannfred and vlad both are. And Kemmler is more of a legendary hero.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

I don't think there are any special garrisons at all other than each factions capital.

No there are some, Tileas capital boasts something silly like 6 mortars when its fully upgraded, in addition to a full garrison of course.

But to be fair theres not many of them. Besides Tilea i can't really think of that many, maybe Kislev as well.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Is there a mod that lets me start my dwarf campaign in a more interesting location than the default one? I'm so sick of fighting nothing but orcs for half the game.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I was going to say "Kraka Drak DLC can't come fast enough" but then I realized fighting Norsca for 100 turns isn't much of an improvement

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I forgot how vital the +movement in own territory mod is, my stunties chasing chaos all over the badlands :negative:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Periphery posted:

Is there a mod that lets me start my dwarf campaign in a more interesting location than the default one? I'm so sick of fighting nothing but orcs for half the game.

Kainser posted:

I was going to say "Kraka Drak DLC can't come fast enough" but then I realized fighting Norsca for 100 turns isn't much of an improvement

The Karak Drak mod is pretty cool, though you will want to use the Conquer Anywhere mod or you're having a real hard time expanding anywhere.

Clan Angrund kind of, but you start with a pressing grudge sending you over the Badlands, so kind of doesn't count.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Me and a friend of mine are playing a co-op with me playing Wurrzag and my friend playing Grimgor on Very Hard. My friend even managed to lose Black Crag and at one point I was down to just Ekrund but now we have pretty much stabilised and the dwarves are hosed. It's a pretty cool co-op setting, I like it when you play the same race + can help each other really easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE

Is your bigger problem the battles themselves, or the non-battle campaign management?

Because if it's the battles, I've found that it can be super useful to watch a short battle tutorial video or two. I also started my first game (also my first Total War game) as dwarves, and was baffled at how the greenskins were running circles around me. I watched a couple videos of experienced people using them in battle, and had a few "oh my god, I was doing [X] completely wrong, that's why I suck so much" moments.

Also, it can't be stressed enough that it's important to have a couple hero characters who can Block Army, so that you can hunt army stacks down without them just marching away and leading you on a wild chase- especially as the slow-rear end dwarves.

Another thing that really changed my life was the realization that after a city has reached its maximum size, you can, and should, demolish the farms and/or other population growth tiles, and replace them with something else, like walls, since you don't need that growth anymore.

• Locked thread