Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Well I didn't adjust for Jerry wanting his qb to have a huge playoff game instead of just running it fifty times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extendedsolo
Oct 14, 2005

Yes, this is going to hurt.

go go go go ROSCOE! posted:

The Patriots were also very lucky that Marlon McCree was an idiot, and lol at calling them the best team that year

But they were. Not on players alone no, but taking coaching into account they certainly were. Schottenheimer is what John Fox is now. An above average coach that sucks when it really matters. I mean there was a reason they fired him after that divisional game. I'm not saying the Patriots were clear cut the best team that year since the argument is that the Ravens were also better.

African AIDS cum posted:

Hmm not a "sports expert" but it seems like the best team would be able to win a single playoff game your thoughts?

*flips a coin*
*comes up tails*

TAILS IS ALWAYS BETTER!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Marty literally told marlon mcree to hold the ball like a loaf of bread.

extendedsolo
Oct 14, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

Marty literally told marlon mcree to hold the ball like a loaf of bread.

It wouldn't surprise me. "GUYS WE HAVE TO KEEP MY LEGACY AS A PLAYOFF CHOKER IN TACT! IF ANYONE GETS THE BALL IMMEDIATELY TURN IT OVER!"

It wasn't the first time he lost to a team with inferior talent, BUT IT WAS THE LAST!

extendedsolo fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 21, 2017

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Ten years ago, the real Super Bowl was played on this date.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1EBPLDBv5w&t=7536s

One of the best games ever, in my opinion.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Codependent Poster posted:

One of the best games ever, in my opinion.

Even rewatching this final Brady drive and knowing the outcome, I'm still sure he's going to go down and score a touchdown.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
2006 Pats had no receivers worth a poo poo, and the defense was worse than the previous years, and Corey Dillon was old and busted. They weren't the best team on paper by any stretch.

2006 Colts discovered how to play defense when they got Bob Sanders back late in the year, and their offense was loaded of course. They were real good. Peyton played like poo poo for stretches in those playoffs and the team was able to carry him through it for once.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 21, 2017

extendedsolo
Oct 14, 2005

sean10mm posted:

2006 Pats had no receivers worth a poo poo, and the defense was worse than the previous years, and Corey Dillon was old and busted. They weren't the best team on paper by any stretch.

uh, they had the 2nd fewest points allowed that season.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
You're right, my memory is defective.

I am 100% right about the rear end receivers though. :colbert:

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

extendedsolo posted:

lol

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Late to the discussion

But i want to add LeBron not only is the best basketball player, he also has extremely good opinions outside of it

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

extendedsolo posted:

Do they have a banner hanging in Foxboro about this

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CyberPingu posted:

Russel Wilson's entire success as a QB relies on the fact that its not intentional grounding if you are out of the pocket.

since i'm an idiot i'd like someone to explain why the rule is that way to me. is it just one of those let's make it easier on the qb rules. i've always hated the rule.

Athanatos posted:

Even rewatching this final Brady drive and knowing the outcome, I'm still sure he's going to go down and score a touchdown.

if his number 1 receiver wasn't reche caldwell i'm sure he does.

as with his second ring peyton was carried to greatness. 3 TDs/7 INTs in them playoffs.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 21, 2017

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Ostentatious posted:

Late to the discussion

But i want to add LeBron not only is the best basketball player, he also has extremely good opinions outside of it

He just doesn't tip.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Groovelord Neato posted:

since i'm an idiot i'd like someone to explain why the rule is that way to me. is it just one of those let's make it easier on the qb rules. i've always hated the rule.

Because QBs would get absolutely loving murdered outside of the pocket if they couldn't just throw the ball away. They'd be forced to either make a risky pass or get drilled by a closing defender because they're a runner at that point.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that'd be good tho.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

big money big clit posted:

Because QBs would get absolutely loving murdered outside of the pocket if they couldn't just throw the ball away. They'd be forced to either make a risky pass or get drilled by a closing defender because they're a runner at that point.

I don't see what the problem is here. Its BS that a qb can scramble for 7 seconds and then just launch the ball out of bounds to avoid a sack.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

CyberPingu posted:

I don't see what the problem is here. Its BS that a qb can scramble for 7 seconds and then just launch the ball out of bounds to avoid a sack.

It's actually bad when we have to watch playoff games between Brock osweiler and Matt McGloin and getting the precious few good QBs in the league constantly injured would not be good.

It's a lost down. Downs are very precious and losing one is a big deal.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 21, 2017

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
x-posting:

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/822898451793006593

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Don't get better colts pls.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

big money big clit posted:

It's actually bad when we have to watch playoff games between Brock osweiler and Matt McGloin and getting the precious few good QBs in the league constantly injured would not be good.

It's a lost down. Down's are very precious and losing one is a big deal.

Yeah an incompletion still isnt good, it's just less punishing to the offense than it used to be before the grounding rule.

Maybe the defense should contain the qb better?

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

extendedsolo posted:

I mean there was a reason they fired him after that divisional game.

A bad reason, from the same group of people who arrived at the conclusion that Norval Turner was a good HC.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

CyberPingu posted:

Russel Wilson's entire success as a QB relies on the fact that its not intentional grounding if you are out of the pocket.

Tom Brady's entire success as a QB relies on the fact that it's not intentional grounding if you are in the pocket and named Tom Brady.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Groovelord Neato posted:

if his number 1 receiver wasn't reche caldwell i'm sure he does.

Yup

quote:

as with his second ring peyton was carried to greatness. 3 TDs/7 INTs in them playoffs.

Peyton carried poo poo rear end Colts teams his entire career into the playoffs, someone might as well carry him to a ring or 2. Seems fair.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Finger Prince posted:

Tom Brady's entire success as a QB relies on the fact that it's not intentional grounding if you are in the pocket and named Tom Brady.

they lost a super bowl due to it so uh

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Two or three years late on this, Irsay.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

go go go go ROSCOE! posted:

The Patriots were also very lucky that Marlon McCree was an idiot, and lol at calling them the best team that year

The shame of that is that Marty told a DB that if he got his hands on the ball, just fall down and hang onto it. The problem is that it was Drayton Florence he said that to and not McCree, who *might* be the dumbest motherfucker to ever wear a Charger uniform.

Also, gently caress Cam's playcalling in that game in general.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Marlon mcree was that safety who while developmentally slow had that year in carolina where he forced a gajillion fumbles and turned that into a good deal with the chargers right?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

gently caress

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Russel Wilson is a system QB who wouldn't be nearly as successful without Tom Cable

Consider me loving triggered.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Looks like Burnett, Adams, Allison should be good to go tomorrow. Jordy still up in the air but seems a little bit more promising than earlier in the week.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

whiteyfats posted:

DO Y'ALL WANT A HAM for mod.

The burnt steak one, not the other one.

Rap is a shitposting maestro and there's no way he'd even accept the position.

extendedsolo
Oct 14, 2005

DNS posted:

A bad reason, from the same group of people who arrived at the conclusion that Norval Turner was a good HC.

a lateral move at best though

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Hot Diggity! posted:

Looks like Burnett, Adams, Allison should be good to go tomorrow. Jordy still up in the air but seems a little bit more promising than earlier in the week.

They signed a WR off the practice squad. One of the three WRs isn't playing, and my money is on Jordy.

Sounds like Burnett, Adams and Allison will all be much less than 100% if they do go. Works for me.

extendedsolo
Oct 14, 2005

Hot Diggity! posted:

Max McCaffrey added to the roster. Maximum white guy grinder that replaces Jeff Janis in the heart of packer fans.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

extendedsolo posted:

But they were. Not on players alone no, but taking coaching into account they certainly were. Schottenheimer is what John Fox is now. An above average coach that sucks when it really matters. I mean there was a reason they fired him after that divisional game. I'm not saying the Patriots were clear cut the best team that year since the argument is that the Ravens were also better.

*flips a coin*
*comes up tails*

TAILS IS ALWAYS BETTER!

That's every coach except Bellichek, and will be until he's dethroned by the next Walsh, Noll, Lombardi or whoever Truly great coaches are even more rare than great quarterbacks

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

extendedsolo posted:

The problem with saying "I mean there was a reason they fired him after that divisional game" is that you're assuming Dean Spanos is competent, which I can assure you that he is not. He's an incompetent man child who was too much of a wimpy putz to step in between AJ and Marty and tell them to work their poo poo out; instead he let it fester and - because he's an imbecile - he fired the coach who turned the team from an absolute shitshow into something vaguely respectable for once. Instead he let his schmuck of a GM run the team into the ground - repeating exactly what happened when he chose Bobby Beathard over Ross in the mid 90's.

There's a reason why the Chargers are the joke of the NFL, while teams like the Patriots, Steelers and Packers have scores of rings: they make the right choices with their HCs and commit to them without any discord between GM and coach. (obviously in the Pats' case, they are one and the same - but there's a reason why you never hear any discontent between say, Tomlin and management going in Pittsburgh)

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

That's every coach except Bellichek, and will be until he's dethroned by the next Walsh, Noll, Lombardi or whoever Truly great coaches are even more rare than great quarterbacks

That statement's still an insult to Marty, who was twice the coach John Fox is. 1 losing season in 21 years, yeah that's the same as the guy who gave up in Carolina and is muddling through until he's fired in Chicago.

Like most coaches who have been around a while you can argue that Fox is a better playoff coach, but that's the beginning and end of everything in favor of Fox.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Grittybeard posted:

That statement's still an insult to Marty, who was twice the coach John Fox is. 1 losing season in 21 years, yeah that's the same as the guy who gave up in Carolina and is muddling through until he's fired in Chicago.

Like most coaches who have been around a while you can argue that Fox is a better playoff coach, but that's the beginning and end of everything in favor of Fox.

What I said wasn't intended to insult Marty, jsyk. Just stating that there always seems to be that one coach who is just better than any of his peers. And there never really seems to be more than one of them at a time. Like, even in the 70s that had Shula, Landry, Madden and Noll -- Noll always outcoached them when it really mattered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

What I said wasn't intended to insult Marty, jsyk.

Sorry I didn't mean you and I agree with your point, I meant what the other guy said.

Marty was a flat out excellent coach who fell apart in the playoffs, better than .600 winning percentage, 6th all time in wins and is going to stay there for a while (Andy Reid will catch him in 3-5 years, no one else coaching now is close other than Belichick who already passed him). Glancing through the list the only other current coach that's been around a while that could get there might be Tomlin, and he'll have to coach a looong time to do so.

John Fox is...not the same guy.

• Locked thread