Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Is she bleeding from her right eye?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

The most I have seen it vary in literally everything is from skeleton to flesh stretched on bones.

I think even in D&D a lich looks like they did when they were alive upon becoming a lich, but the fleshy parts of their body require upkeep and they don't actually need them. Since the kind of person who goes for the walking corpse method of immortality doesn't usually care how they look as long as they have massive arcane power, they usually tend to just not perform the upkeep and let it rot.

so wiz is a lich who cares about her appearance basically

Hawke
May 1, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

Is she bleeding from her right eye?

I think that's just her hair.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Slime posted:

so wiz is a lich who cares about her appearance basically

Which makes a lot of sense given her backstory (that I doubt the anime will cover since she's a side character even throughout the novels.) Basically she got stuck with the choice of becoming a lich or dying young.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 21, 2017

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
why is this show so drat good?

Just watched the second episode of season 2, and I could not stop laughing

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

this unrealistic depiction of liches is really taking me out of the show

get your poo poo together konosuba writing team

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Jeez guys she has very pale skin.

Pale skin = dead

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

but so do vampires and all the posters here

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

Vampires are typically undead monsters, and commonly shares overlaps with magic powers.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

And we are all dead inside

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

El Burbo posted:

And we are all dead inside

:unsmith:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Just started watching this.

A show based on D&D fantasy should not be this funny or good.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Furnaceface posted:

Let me tell you about a show called The Slayers which was literally based on a D&D campaign....

Konosuba really is to me a modern take on the same ideas in a lot of ways.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
By the way, the Megumin prequel novel got a manga adaptation, and there's a scanlation up on Batoto. Now I know where Chomusuke came from!

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/kono-subarashii-sekai-ni-bakuen-wo-r18962

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Furnaceface posted:

Just started watching this.

It gets even better.

Also, is that prequel manga good enough for me to read?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

It gets even better.

Also, is that prequel manga good enough for me to read?

The translation feels a bit awkward at times but overall it's quite good.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Sweet. Thanks.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Tarezax posted:

By the way, the Megumin prequel novel got a manga adaptation, and there's a scanlation up on Batoto. Now I know where Chomusuke came from!

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/kono-subarashii-sekai-ni-bakuen-wo-r18962

Oh my god, Megumin's reason for becoming an arch wizard...

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The prequel manga is funny, if a bit skeevy in the ways KonoSuba usually is (a panty shot of an outright child character is really unnecessary), but something towards the end of the last chapter has me a bit confused and I'm not sure if it's the translation or the manga itself: Early on, it's established that Crimson Demons graduate after learning Advanced Magic. In the last chapter, meanwhile, Yunyun learns Intermediate Magic (not having enough points for Advanced Magic yet) out of desperation, then Megumin learns Explosion, stuff gets blown up, they're saved, etc.

But the narration after that has Megumin say that the town doesn't know they know magic yet, then both graduate a few days later. How's that work? To me it seems like it's saying that they demonstrated that they learned magic and were allowed to graduate, but, while I could see Megumin being allowed through despite not having Advanced Magic because she learned something even more advanced, Yunyun picked up something lesser, and also used skill points she was saving up, putting her further from Advanced Magic. Something seems a bit off; either they let her slide, didn't verify that she was actually using Advanced Magic, or I'm missing something. Or it's a mistake I guess, I don't know. Or they didn't actually need Advanced Magic, just any magic, and Yunyun was aiming for it arbitrarily, maybe? The first chapter makes it seem like that's specifically what they need.

Anyone know what's up here? I suppose it's not a major detail, but it's bothering me a bit.

BurningDance
Apr 27, 2010
The Crimson Demons operate on the rule of cool. Megumin was probably cool enough to the teachers to be able to graduate.

Yunyun is a weirdo though. They probably just didn't want to deal with her any longer.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Glancing at the first chapter of the prequel LN, the manga is probably just shortening how it's described so it might read slightly differently depending on how you interpret the phrasing. Mastering ANY magic is effectively graduation. It's just that, Crimson Demons being Crimson Demons, they generally just want to learn Advanced magic and thus hold off on spending skill points until then. Kind of going hand-in-hand with not really being considered a wizard within the clan until you do master Advanced magic, generally (exceptions obviously exist).

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

excuse me

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

The prequel manga is funny, if a bit skeevy in the ways KonoSuba usually is (a panty shot of an outright child character is really unnecessary),

Yeah, I don't mind the typical fanservice (even if I don't really care for it) in the show but things like "It's a medieval setting so Megumin is an adult at 14 :pedo:" is something I could do without.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Cuntellectual posted:

Yeah, I don't mind the typical fanservice (even if I don't really care for it) in the show but things like "It's a medieval setting so Megumin is an adult at 14 :pedo:" is something I could do without.

I think it may be more along the lines of they're graduating after what would be their 8th year of schooling, which would be the second year of middle school. AKA, chuuni.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, the scene I was referring to was a flashback within the flashback, the (second) time we see Megumin learn that she wants to master Explosions. So, that being seven years before something already happening a year in the past (relative to the beginning of the series), when Megumin starts the series at like thirteen or fourteen (according to what people said in an earlier discussion), means that she was like five or six years old there. Which, by any standards, should be pretty bad.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

this anime owns as heck. thanks for reading, and namaste

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

She's just so drat eager

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

She's just so drat eager

That's pretty much her other defining character quirk.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

That is the eagerness of a PC who knows fall damage is capped.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I dunno, its a pretty out of character moment for Darkness.

After all, she hit something she meant to.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
When the payout is being launched up into the air by an explosion on top of a aerodynamically dubious platform you bet she is going to hit it.

Missing is only fun when it leads to painful humiliation after all. :v:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

drat this flew past my radar and I never got to watch it but I'm loving it now that Ive watched the first few episodes of s1.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

It's not the Darkness is incapable of hitting things (in the lns she gets the final blow on the Dullahan, don't remember if she does in the anime), just that she can only hit stationary targets, and even then only sometimes.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
It's interesting that both Darkness and Megumin are only screw-ups because of their own hang-ups and the self-imposed limitations in their 'character builds', in that Darkness refuses to actually take sword-training skills (because it's no fun if you have to hold back to be defeated and humiliated), and Megumin refuses to take things that are not explosion magic.

Meanwhile Aqua just has awful luck and intelligence and there is apparently nothing in the game world that can fix those, and they're not even increasing as she levels up.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Megumin doesent have a problem finding a party technically. She is useless in a low level party like in the main town. But an experienced party would be willing to carry her because they usually hunt large bounties, they can deal with the small fry on the way there and then have Megumin nuke the big guy. Darkness on the other hand is borderline useless. Anything with half a brain will just walk around her and attack the party behind her since she barely has any offencive potential to punish ignoring her. She hits like a truck but cant hit anything that can move. When Darkness was with Chris they just had Chris cast bind on things and then Darkness smacked them to death. Of course this isnt ideal for Darkness who wants to take hits and protect people. She basically gets bored and depressed by being useful. Though she is a noble so she is an adventurer to just enact her masochistic dreams. She could just stop and go back to doing things nobles do. But thats why both Megumin and Darkness are in Kazumas party, they get to act the way they want instead of what is actually effective.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jan 25, 2017

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Crasical posted:

It's interesting that both Darkness and Megumin are only screw-ups because of their own hang-ups and the self-imposed limitations in their 'character builds', in that Darkness refuses to actually take sword-training skills (because it's no fun if you have to hold back to be defeated and humiliated), and Megumin refuses to take things that are not explosion magic.

Meanwhile Aqua just has awful luck and intelligence and there is apparently nothing in the game world that can fix those, and they're not even increasing as she levels up.

Just like D&D :yayclod:
You can make a gimmicky character do some amazing things if you stick to their theme, but there's no helping a good character if the player is a complete idiot :downs:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
This plotline with the Baron would be kinda dark, if only it wasn't Darkness.

e: this Von Karma wannabe prosecutor is no replacement for her, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Poor Aqua. Even when she's MVP, she still manages to cause issues.