Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Got first in draft Friday following first at prerelease. This time my deck was basically:

At pre I drafted BGu with blue for Trophy Mage (got Aethersphere Harvestor in a deck) and one Rogue Refiner. This time I went UGb with black just for Yahenni; not pictured is a bunch of efficient green (un)commons and the fact that I got passed three (3!!) Rogue Refiners. Fun set, seems like the power level is a bit higher this block.

e: I can see Rogue Refiner seeing some play if there's an energy tempo deck in UG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

myDad posted:

Got first in draft Friday following first at prerelease. This time my deck was basically:

At pre I drafted BGu with blue for Trophy Mage (got Aethersphere Harvestor in a deck) and one Rogue Refiner. This time I went UGb with black just for Yahenni; not pictured is a bunch of efficient green (un)commons and the fact that I got passed three (3!!) Rogue Refiners. Fun set, seems like the power level is a bit higher this block.

e: I can see Rogue Refiner seeing some play if there's an energy tempo deck in UG

Rogue refiner is showing up in 4 color saheeli.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Sickening posted:

Rogue refiner is showing up in 4 color saheeli.

Lmao 4C in standard? I guess there's support through the land base, dorks, and Unbridled Growth (which was huge for letting me go 3 color)

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Sickening posted:

He ran some number of rishkar. Didn't see a tracker in the games I watched.

Thanks, it's a little off from the list that was shared with me a few days ago then. When does SCG normally post decklists?

edit: This was the list going around here locally

3 Rishkar, Peema Renegade
4 Winding Constrictor
3 Verdurous Gearhulk
4 Servant of the Conduit
4 Tireless Tracker
3 Fatal Push
3 Grasp of Darkness
4 Nissa, Voice of Zendikar
4 Blooming Marsh
4 Aether Hub
4 Hissing Quagmire
6 Swamp
5 Forest
1 Westvale Abbey
2 Aethersphere Harvester
4 Glint-Sleeve Siphoner
2 Walking Ballista

2 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
2 Ob Nixilis Reignited
2 Lost Legacy
2 Appetite for the Unnatural
3 Transgress the Mind
2 Plummet
1 Natural State
1 Aethersphere Harvester

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Splash green for fixing?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

myDad posted:

Lmao 4C in standard? I guess there's support through the land base, dorks, and Unbridled Growth (which was huge for letting me go 3 color)

Energy dorks and lands seem to make going 4 color a lot easier.

TwistedNails posted:

Thanks, it's a little off from the list that was shared with me a few days ago then. When does SCG normally post decklists?

Tomorrow. Decks in deck techs are posted right away where the other wait until its over.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I really want to draft some sort of stupid Ux energy control deck that curves Turtle into Aether Thief

im old rick bitch
Oct 19, 2004

How does it feel?
btw ross merriam is currently getting owned on jeopardy...welp im out

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

mirrorquiz posted:

btw ross merriam is currently getting owned on jeopardy...welp im out

what

im old rick bitch
Oct 19, 2004

How does it feel?
he's on jeopardy right now. already aired on the east coast i guess? p funny tho.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

mirrorquiz posted:

he's on jeopardy right now. already aired on the east coast i guess? p funny tho.

oh looks like that's from 6 months ago lol. was wondering since i didn't think theres new jeopardy eps on weekends

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mirrorquiz posted:

Yeah he got thrashed. Was a decent episode.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Aren't Saturdays reruns and isn't it like six hours after it airs anyway?

e: ok ya

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
i know we're not supposed to think the content sites that also sell product (cfb/scg/etc) are holy unbiased advocates of the game, but it just feels weird to see the last 19 consecutive "deck of the day" articles (dating back to Dec 28th) by Efro have all been for Frontier. like, how transparent and shameless can you be about hyping a fake format whose whose only value to anyone right now is in the form of retailers selling chase modern-unplayable mythics that are no longer standard legal.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

MiddleEastBeast posted:

i know we're not supposed to think the content sites that also sell product (cfb/scg/etc) are holy unbiased advocates of the game, but it just feels weird to see the last 19 consecutive "deck of the day" articles (dating back to Dec 28th) by Efro have all been for Frontier. like, how transparent and shameless can you be about hyping a fake format whose whose only value to anyone right now is in the form of retailers selling chase modern-unplayable mythics that are no longer standard legal.

well, outside the obvious need to shill, he is part of a group of pros that decided all together to tell the distributors they work for that they are not going to reveal their opinions on aether revolt standard because it gives away advantages. Writing bad articles and creating meh decklists for a format that is never going to exist is as safe as it comes. It also super easy considering most of them are almost a direct copy and paste of when the decks were in standard.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Can't wait for Frontier Masters 2018

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

myDad posted:

Can't wait for Frontier Masters 2018

finally some fetchland reprints!

we reprinted fetchlands, why isn't anyone happy?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I was thinking pretty much this exact same thing myself. It's pretty embarrassing.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I have to admit, I was pretty darkly amused by his deck of the day yesterday being monowhite humans

Recess Rapist
Jul 4, 2004
I no longer whack; I use a driptorch.

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I am so sick of people parroting this opinion. This is like adults complaining about teen novels. The format isn't for you. Stick to 93/94 or find something else to complain about.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Recess Rapist posted:

I am so sick of people parroting this opinion. This is like adults complaining about teen novels. The format isn't for you. Stick to 93/94 or find something else to complain about.

What thread did you think you were posting in?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Recess Rapist posted:

Why would anyone want to stick to another format that really doesn't exist?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Recess Rapist posted:

Frontier is objectively terrible as a format (currently, anyway) and it only exists because of retailers trying to sell leftover standard poo poo like Jace, Rhinos, etc. Those are facts. Sorry that you're sad about your new overhyped tiny leaders crap not being good, I guess?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Please do not disrespect the format. You may not care but others do.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Given that EFro hates Modern and Standard, I could buy him legitimately having gotten into Frontier. But I'm all but certain those 'deck of the day' articles are just how CFB is replacing Travis Woo's willingness to build a deck around whatever CFB had overstocked at the time.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Attorney at Funk posted:

Given that EFro hates Modern and Standard, I could buy him legitimately having gotten into Frontier. But I'm all but certain those 'deck of the day' articles are just how CFB is replacing Travis Woo's willingness to build a deck around whatever CFB had overstocked at the time.

I assume it's out of laziness. It lets him just check mtgtop8 once a week instead of keeping up on any format. Frontier is a good choice because it's really new so it's less noticeable when he's pulling stuff out of his rear end.

Any article efros written about a deck I understand, he misses the point completely. My favorite was his skred article where he said the gp winning deck sucked and thought it needed 4 copies of pyretic ritual and 4 copies of stormbreath dragon.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
TBF I've lost to Stormbreath in a Skred deck, off of the Monstrous trigger no less. It makes me want to play those RG Ponza decks that finish with it or Inferno Titan, but Blood Moons :negative:

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Stormbreath Dragon is great, but Skred is a slow burn

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

stormbreath is a respectable card in skred, pyretic ritual isn't

after all it's strictly worse than desperate ritual :v:

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I know everyone here hates frontier and all but it could be the fact that standard was a dead format until Aether revolt dropped, even more so after the bans, plus no really noteworthy things to write about since there hadn't been any magic events going on outside of a legacy GP, and that event's noteworthy deck had coverage by the winner of the tournament and deck builder.

I am sure come Monday the deck of the day will go back to standard. Gotta sell those overpriced brand new standard cards before the PT

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Dehtraen posted:

I know everyone here hates frontier and all but it could be the fact that standard was a dead format until Aether revolt dropped, even more so after the bans, plus no really noteworthy things to write about since there hadn't been any magic events going on outside of a legacy GP, and that event's noteworthy deck had coverage by the winner of the tournament and deck builder.

I am sure come Monday the deck of the day will go back to standard. Gotta sell those overpriced brand new standard cards before the PT

I mean, if they just wanted him to help them pump and dump some random poo poo, doing Commander Deck of the Days would have been less pathetic.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Efro puts like no effort into his articles. They're just random decks he finds on whatever site he trawls with barely any original content about them.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Angry Grimace posted:

Efro puts like no effort into his articles. They're just random decks he finds on whatever site he trawls with barely any original content about them.

Sounds like the deck of the day article on literally every site that has one, to be honest.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

What is the frontier meta like? Copy cat with delve draw spells?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it used to be the same meta as extended, i.e. "previous standard hits with some minor upgrades"

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Irony Be My Shield posted:

What is the frontier meta like? Copy cat with delve draw spells?

Just went to a Frontier event today. I was playing Atarka Red. Played against Mono-R Red, Jeskai Ascendancy, and GR Energy.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Recess Rapist posted:

lol, what the gently caress are you talking about, you unhinged weirdo

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

JerryLee posted:

I mean, if they just wanted him to help them pump and dump some random poo poo, doing Commander Deck of the Days would have been less pathetic.

Does CFB even do any commander specific content outside of "these are the cards from the new commander set that will be played in legacy"?

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

MiddleEastBeast posted:

lol, what the gently caress are you talking about, you unhinged weirdo

RR is loving unhinged for sure but there is a golden flake in his turdpost this time. Frontier is a format for those that have only recently joined and are priced out of many other formats. If this and frontier are good things overall are debate able but the fact that its a format for ppl that have post khans draft chaff is not.

I think the legit gripe here is that most of us have sold off our draft chaff from these sets making Frontier another format that we have to rebuy cards that we sold when they were not expensive. I think it's a problem of making formats that are more for the newer less franchised to the Grind players as opposed to people who have been playing the game for some reasonable length of time by now. this wouldn't be a big deal if Wizards was upfront about what the format was for and what it was supposed to do

PleasantDirge fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
All I know about Frontier is sell your dig through times. Either the format dies out, or it succeeds and WotC has to make a ban list.

• Locked thread