Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
Looks like Asrock is coming out with a micro-STX system that includes a MXM port for external graphics.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11052/asrock-shows-deskmini-gtxrx-using-microstx-motherboard-with-mxm-support

This should be a nice candidate for a full coverage waterblock covering both the CPU and video card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Krailor posted:

Looks like Asrock is coming out with a micro-STX system that includes a MXM port for external graphics.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11052/asrock-shows-deskmini-gtxrx-using-microstx-motherboard-with-mxm-support

This should be a nice candidate for a full coverage waterblock covering both the CPU and video card.

This should heave been a thing years ago so we could maybe have affordable MXM cards today.

The best value MXM I can find is $1015 bucks for a GTX 1070, sheesh: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NVIDIA-GTX-1070-N17E-G2-8GB-DDR5-MXM-3-0-Module-150W-For-Clevo-P870DM-/112144267554

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Cheapest MXM card worth a gently caress is a Kepler 860m at $350

:yikes:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if the GPU and CPU sit at roughly the same height. It'd be badass if someone made a low profile cooling fan (or a Thermaltake Engine) with a vapor chamber that could lay across both of them at the same time.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The mini itx board that I was going to use for poo poo Box just loving fried, and the PSU died as well. I checked the voltage on the wall socket and it was 145V. :argh: I knew I should have bought a line conditioner.

All the other parts made it out okay :unsmith: if it wasn't a Seasonic everything would have evaporated

I'm not going to shelf the idea of an xbone-sized PC with an actual GPU but it'll have to wait until I have the scratch to make a mini itx Zen fun box

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
hello. i posted earlier in the thread. i have been doing some more browsing and i am stuck between these cases

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/zmgPxr/silverstone-case-sstrvz02b
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/VH2rxr/fractal-design-case-fdcadefnanosbkw
and finally something like http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-q17/

i really really like the first one but im afraid it'll be a tough one for my first build (afraid of cooling issues). lian-li looks cool but they're stuff seems obscure / unknown on pcpartspicker so i am afraid of quality issues or lack of community resources / support.

the nano s seems like a "safe" option although the portability would be reduced and it wouldnt fit into my little tower space in my desk.

help (tell me that the silverstone wont be that bad to build in and/or suggest me a similarly sized/quality case that will be more accommodating to a newb builder)

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Lian Li makes some really decent stuff.

Also, someone get this.

http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-y6/

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Moey posted:

Lian Li makes some really decent stuff.

Also, someone get this.

http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-y6/

It doesn't float, Linus already tested it. No go for no float

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I got the CPU and motherboard for my 250D, and, despite my cable management skills being ABSOLUTE rear end, I love this little thing. :allears:

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Don't be afraid of the Raven. Just make sure that you have an SFX PSU and a low profile cooler and you'll be fine. I have the same case and it's great.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

SamDabbers posted:

The Rosewill Line-M is the smallest mATX case I've found, and it's under $50. The gaudy blue 120mm fan is entirely optional :haw:

I just rebuilt my mATX system with a Line M.

Previous system was a i7-3770 with a stock cooler and a GTX 1070 all stuffed into an original Silverstone SG02. Everything fit fine, but my prime95 temps on the stock cooler topped out at 90C, and the video card was getting to 70C.

I looked at small form factor CPU coolers that would fit the SG02, then realized that a $33 Rosewill Line M paired with a $20 Cryorig M9i would give me better airflow, would cool the CPU better, be cheaper, and take up only 4 inches of extra space in my home theatre cabinet than just dropping $50 on a Noctua or something.

Finished the rebuild yesterday without a hitch. CPU idles in the low 30s now, maxes at 69C with a 4.3 ghz overclock, and the temps in case are all around better. It’s quieter than the SG02 was too.

Line M is a solid, cheap case. I would totally buy again. Hope you have small hands though!

bobfather fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jan 21, 2017

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Pff if you want a micro tax case get a Moneual Sonamu G100 :D

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Lian-Li was the king of PC cases a bunch of years ago until Fractal came along and dethroned them.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

bobfather posted:

Line M is a solid, cheap case. I would totally buy again. Hope you have small hands though!

My friend is moving his mATX build from a SilverStone Raven RV01(113.887 liters) to the Line-M(27.04 liters) that just arrived today. We were going with an Antec P50(32 liters), but it is still relatively big for its size. He wants easier transportation of the case so he can LAN and demo his Vive to other people. He didn't have the money to spend on a mITX motherboard and a case, so we just decided to downsize the case. We're putting a comically large Galax 980 To HOF in the case, it's barely going to fit. We also ordered some spring loaded handles from MNPC, recessed ones were a little too much effort for the build.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

Lian-Li was the king of PC cases a bunch of years ago until Fractal came along and dethroned them.
I got a case, and it's impossible to find replacements for minor parts, which is absurd given the premium branding and pricing.

They look lovely and are easy to use, though, but other companies appear to have caught up with them anyway.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Josh Sniffen of NFC gave me the tracking number for the NFC S4 Mini case he shipped out to me.

He also posted a casual comparison of a bunch of different low profile CPU fans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuUGfql2BmM

The shocking bit is that the Thermaltake Engine 27 is louder, hotter, and more expensive than a copper Zalman cooler.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

How does the Rosewill line M compared to the Silverstone Sugo sg10?

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...
I haven't worked on or looked inside a Line M so I can't really speak to that, but it does look like it's a bit bigger than an SG10. I have an SG10 and love it, highly recommend it but it is a bit finicky to build in the SG10. It is one of those cases where a lot of things just barely fit, and the layout is kinda weird. Line M looks to me like it is probably a bit easier to build, much more standard layout inside, at the expense of not being quite as compact.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Gonkish posted:

I got the CPU and motherboard for my 250D, and, despite my cable management skills being ABSOLUTE rear end, I love this little thing. :allears:

I'm of the complete opposite, I have a 250D and l liked the design but I positively despise the build quality of it and the H100i.

-The toolless 2.5" brackets scratches SSDs easily because it uses sharp pins instead of rounded nubs like a sane human.
-The outer panels and the chassis also scratches easily too as the physical alignment is ever-so-off slightly.
-One of the screwholes on H100i broke just after one cycle of screwing/unscrewing . Something which has never happened for my Hyper 212+ despite mounting/dismounting for a dozen times.

I ordered a Node 804 after 2.5 years of this enduring lovely case, besides I want an option for mATX anyway.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Josh Sniffen of NFC gave me the tracking number for the NFC S4 Mini case he shipped out to me.

He also posted a casual comparison of a bunch of different low profile CPU fans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuUGfql2BmM

The shocking bit is that the Thermaltake Engine 27 is louder, hotter, and more expensive than a copper Zalman cooler.
The more expensive part isn't that shocking if you've followed that thing for a while :v:

Probably relevant to note that the Engine 27 is only rated for use with up to 70W vs 120W for that Zalman, while using a 6700K (91W) for his testing (...while overlaying 85W in the video, and listing the 65W 6700 in the description :confused:).

Found this interesting post on it:
https://hardforum.com/threads/thermaltake-engine-27-preliminary-testing.1920457/
Similar performance in that guy's rig to the Cryorig C7 at load, while better at idle. And either had a defect or he messed it up a little on install:

quote:

Update:
So I started to notice a rather high pitched whining coming from the Engine 27 after a day or so of use (even over the Dell R610 server) and decided to do some further testing in a sound isolated room (as best I could). I determined that due to the design of the cooler they have to balance the "fan" as you balance a car tire, by placing small counter-weights along the fins to adjust the center-mass point. I believe during my installation I moved said clip as I fat-fingered it into place. Since I ordered it through Amazon I was able to easily exchange it and the new cooler has NO whine, and oddly does not have a counter-balance clip either.
As far as cooling goes, this has performed as well (if not better than) the C7 I previously was using.
On the subject of sizing, easiest way I can describe it is to take a standard intel cooler, rip the fan off and then shave ~5mm of height off the top.

TL;DR:
There was a whine, I returned it to Amazon and the new one has no whine (whine caused by imbalance due to fat-fingered install); BE EXTRA CAREFUL DURING INSTALL.

japtor fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 22, 2017

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Palladium posted:

I'm of the complete opposite, I have a 250D and l liked the design but I positively despise the build quality of it and the H100i.

-The toolless 2.5" brackets scratches SSDs easily because it uses sharp pins instead of rounded nubs like a sane human.
-The outer panels and the chassis also scratches easily too as the physical alignment is ever-so-off slightly.
-One of the screwholes on H100i broke just after one cycle of screwing/unscrewing . Something which has never happened for my Hyper 212+ despite mounting/dismounting for a dozen times.

I ordered a Node 804 after 2.5 years of this enduring lovely case, besides I want an option for mATX anyway.

The only problem I ended up with with the 250D was that the pins on one side of the 2.5" brackets actually popped right out as I flexed the thing to try to fit the other side in. No warning, no apparent mishandling on my part... they just went flying and I think I picked them up with the sweeper afterwards. Really loving weird.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Gonkish posted:

The only problem I ended up with with the 250D was that the pins on one side of the 2.5" brackets actually popped right out as I flexed the thing to try to fit the other side in. No warning, no apparent mishandling on my part... they just went flying and I think I picked them up with the sweeper afterwards. Really loving weird.

That happened to me twice, another reason to hate lousy toolless designs.

Funny thing is after working briefly inside HP office PCs I feel their drive mounting solutions are leagues better than any enthusiast cases I have touched so far.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Can I please get some more eyes on this parts list? Only thing I'm nervous about is whether this is the best z270 motherboard and if I could jam a better cooler in the node 202.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/z0d14c/saved/cYK23C

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

an skeleton posted:

Can I please get some more eyes on this parts list? Only thing I'm nervous about is whether this is the best z270 motherboard and if I could jam a better cooler in the node 202.

Personally I'm waiting for the Asus mitx board but the MSI is slick too.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Photex posted:

Personally I'm waiting for the Asus mitx board but the MSI is slick too.

What will I get from the ASUS board that I don't get from this one?

also, should I be getting an m.2 SSD?

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

an skeleton posted:

Asus has extra m.2 slot, MSI has usb 3.1 and extra system fan header. Asus has m.2 on top of the board, which will help with cooling.

m.2 SSD's are sick. mine lets me slampick Hanzo every time, and loads my poo poo up super fast. I only regret getting a 950 pro before the 960 came out. Also having such a small OS drive is great for SFF builds, especially if you have some NAS.

Salted_Pork fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jan 22, 2017

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

an skeleton posted:

That was one thing I almost added to my reply in the other thread. If that mobo has a PCIe m.2 slot you could get a smallish blisteringly fast m.2 SSD for your OS and games and a larger slower (than the 850, at least) SATA SSD for your other files.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Salted_Pork posted:

Asus has extra m.2 slot, MSI has usb 3.1 and extra system fan header. Asus has m.2 on top of the board, which will help with cooling.

m.2 SSD's are sick. mine lets me slampick Hanzo every time, and loads my poo poo up super fast. I only regret getting a 950 pro before the 960 came out. Also having such a small OS drive is great for SFF builds, especially if you have some NAS.

hmm I really dont want to wait for the Asus. When you say "will help with cooling", how much help are we talking about here? As in should I be afraid of my m.2 SSD roasting on the MSI?

how did you know im building this PC exclusively to slampick hanzo

Grundulum posted:

That was one thing I almost added to my reply in the other thread. If that mobo has a PCIe m.2 slot you could get a smallish blisteringly fast m.2 SSD for your OS and games and a larger slower (than the 850, at least) SATA SSD for your other files.

To answer your question in the other thread -- I'm a software engineer so I can/will probably find some use for the hyperthreading (I also want to VR at some point, and I think hyperthreading would help with that)? Thanks for the input!

edit: updated build with m.2 ssd https://pcpartpicker.com/user/z0d14c/saved/cYK23C

an skeleton fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jan 22, 2017

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

an skeleton posted:

To answer your question in the other thread -- I'm a software engineer so I can/will probably find some use for the hyperthreading (I also want to VR at some point, and I think hyperthreading would help with that)? Thanks for the input!

My understanding is that hyperthreading helps with VRMs, since you're simulating a bunch of CPUs, but not so much with VR, which should be largely GPU-limited. Even with a GTX1070.

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

an skeleton posted:

hmm I really dont want to wait for the Asus. When you say "will help with cooling", how much help are we talking about here? As in should I be afraid of my m.2 SSD roasting on the MSI?

My 950pro has been fine so far (i think, speccy doesn't show me temps for it, but it hasn't died), and its nestled under my z170n-wifi mobo, just above my psu. Samsung says its health is good whatever that means. I would feel much better if it had a heat sink, but I would pick 2 fan headers over that, which would allow me to run pwm and dc fans.

an skeleton posted:

how did you know im building this PC exclusively to slampick hanzo

you can build computers for other things?

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

an skeleton posted:

If want to get a better cooler and overclock a bit, you should get a fatter case. Silverstone's RVZ-01, ML-07, and FTZ-01 allow CPU coolers up to 83 mm, which opens up some good options, like the Cryorig C1 or the Raijintek Pallas. Some people say that you can get pretty great cooling by getting the Pallas, then popping off the slim 140mm fan it comes with and putting on something beefier, like a 140mm Noctua.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

an skeleton posted:

I ended up grabbing that motherboard because the sole reason I was building a new system was because my stepfather needed a new computer for his home office, so I convinced him to buy my old one, and thus I was on a shorter timeframe and wanted to get my new box together ASAP. It's not a bad board by any means. My only lingering complaint is that the two fan headers are both located back by the I/O ports which can make cable routing odd, but ultimately that's not make or break. It's a very solid board for building and for use, otherwise. I've currently got my 7600K overclocked to 5.1GHz (and I'm going to keep going up to see how far I can push it), so overclocking seems to be solid.

Do be aware that it has an integrated LGB strip down the right side of the motherboard (on the underside) which can only be disabled through the use of MSI's "Gaming App" software, which, in my experience, isn't intrusive or frustrating; I mention it because opinions vary on that stuff, and I am not a huge RGB fan so I just turned them off. If you like RGB, though, they're actually pretty bright and have that crazy color range and some interesting effects (like strobing and such).

If you really want what I would consider the BEST z270 itx board, I'd wait for ASUS's Strix Z270I, because it has comparable features to the MSI board, but includes things like a second M.2 slot (one on the underside of the board, and another on the top in a combination PCH/M.2 heatsink thing), etc. Plus, I have never had an ASUS motherboard that steered me wrong, they're generally solid as gently caress.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Any recommendations for the smallest possible NAS case? 2+ drive bays, no video card required and smaller form factor PSU's could be used. I've been looking around and the fractal node series seem too big for the purpose, ideally I'd like to have it on a shelf above my desk.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

abigserve posted:

Any recommendations for the smallest possible NAS case? 2+ drive bays, no video card required and smaller form factor PSU's could be used. I've been looking around and the fractal node series seem too big for the purpose, ideally I'd like to have it on a shelf above my desk.
If the node 304 is too big for you just about every other thing with 2 3.5" drive bays is too big because you gain a couple inches of any direction per inch that you cut from the 304. I'd suggest a multi-bay port multiplied eSATA enclosure connected to a raid controller at that point.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

alternatively, get a used 1u server and some blower fans

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Is it me or is the ASRock Z270 looking like a better motherboard than their Gaming branded version this time around?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157742

The Z270 has an M.2 slot on the front, 6 USB 3.0, 2 USB 2.0, two Intel NICs, Intel Wireless card (!)

The Gaming version is down the 2 USB 2.0 ports, down a NIC, M.2 on the back (have to take apart your case if you ever need to switch it out), it has a more premium audio board (but I use digital audio over my HDMI or Xbox conroller anyway) and it has Thunderbolt 3...

I think I'd make more use of the USB ports and dual NIC on the non-Gaming than I would use the Thunderbolt 3 on the gaming version.

Speaking of Thunderbolt 3, where the gently caress are the optical cables for it? They have them for Thunderbolt 2 but TB3 Optical didn't even show up for CES.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

i'm curious does AMD/ATI do Mini ITX versions of their cards?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

AIBs? depends on the card's TDP, anything below 200w can get a 6 inch version, with some ill-advised exceptions anything below 50w can get a half-height version

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Photex posted:

i'm curious does AMD/ATI do Mini ITX versions of their cards?

The Sapphire Nitro cards are fairly short, though they're more like eight inches rather than something like six. My RX480 fits in the 250D with room to spare, even though the plugs are oriented backwards rather than towards the top of the card. Of course, they're not blowers so they might not be ideal for more cramped cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Gonkish posted:

The Sapphire Nitro cards are fairly short, though they're more like eight inches rather than something like six. My RX480 fits in the 250D with room to spare, even though the plugs are oriented backwards rather than towards the top of the card. Of course, they're not blowers so they might not be ideal for more cramped cases.

I have my 30cm GTX 1070 in the 250D, but I have to bend the top PCIE cables pretty hard to fit.