Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Yeah, if nothing else starting A first is best for the whole 'wait, what?' feeling (hahaha, if only we could use telepathy... oh wait you were serious), as opposed to B, where aside from the future/present interludes it is much more casual (yeah, I go to a school for telepathy, what of it?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

THE GREAT ILLUSION: 09/12/2030, 08:10

♪ BGM: Quiet Days of Rokumei City

Male Student 1: Huh? Tenkawa, why are you with Toba -and- Ms. Sannomiya today?
Ah, nah, we just happened to get here at the same time.

Natsuhiko's grandiose answer prompted a chuckle and a whisper from Mashiro.

This is a blue branch with Salyu at 7.

You sure seem calm about it... We can't say anything unnecessary here.
Unnecessary?
...Like how we're living together.
Well, I guess it'll help the three of us get along if we make this our little secret~

Indeed, living together meant that it'd be best that they get along at least a little bit. However, Natsuhiko didn't think sharing a ''little'' secret was the best way to achieve that goal.

Sure, I guess it's best to leave it a secret between the three of us for the time being so we can avoid any misunderstandings.
Okay. Good, good. This is kinda exciting.
Mm.

Salyu nodded at Mashiro's words. Natsuhiko sighed a little as he made it to his desk.

♪ BGM: Achiever / Theme of Ena

We learned a lot of things we usually don't touch upon during regular classes, didn't we? So, what did you all learn? Care to start, hmm... Mr. Natsuhiko Tenkawa?
Huh?

A devilish smile formed on Ena's face when she saw Natsuhiko's surprise to hear his name called out so suddenly. It appeared to be payback for him spacing out yesterday.

(But you were so nice yesterday... you're so mean, Professor.) Y-yeah... like how about that 'link between the brain and BC' that the staff member mentioned?
Exactly. Research in the fields of BC and brain physiology are closely related.

Tips posted:

TIP: Brain physiology
Category: Contains fiction

French physician Jean Fernel introduced the term physiology as a field of biology focusing on the function of life processes. Brain physiology is a further specialization of that field focusing on the brain.

When you hit your head, why do you see sparks fly? When you hear the word zebra, why do you know it refers to a black animal with white stripes (or perhaps a white animal with black stripes)? How can a drawing seem to simultaneously depict a vase, but also two faces looking at each other? It is said that researching the brain's mechanisms at times like those can help for the improved diagnosis and treatment of brain diseases.

Antoine Courbet, the scientist who proposed the ''ESP synchronization hypothesis'' which related the discovery of BC, was also a brain physiologist.

Ena tapped on her own head as she spoke.

In short, BC is direct brain-to-brain communication. It incites stimuli in a third party's brain cells, causing the secretion of neurotransmitters.

Other students began to raise their voices at those words.

Male Student 1: Huh!? THAT'S how it works?
Oh, I'm sure we've gone over that in class. Well, you don't necessarily need to know the underlying principles in order to use BC, but there's no harm in learning, is there? In layman's terms... Telepathy stimulates the parts of the brain responsible for hearing to produce 'the same response as if it were actually hearing it'. Conversely, empathy works by catching thoughts that leak from other people's brains and interpreting them as spoken words.
So either way, they're both kinds of hallucinations? I mean, it does sound like actual sounds, but what really happens is that the information is directly conveyed to the brain, so...
True. But since it's the brain 'perceiving' the information, that might already make it a hallucination to begin with.
Huh? What do you mean?
Hmm, let's see... Do you all know what 'blind spots' are?

Tips posted:

TIP: Blind spot
Category: Nonfiction

A lacking portion of vision that exists in all vertebrates.

Structurally, the optic nerve goes through the layer of photoreceptor cells, and thus the place of optic nerve attachment impedes sight. However, the eye has a ''filling—in'' function that completes what's missing, thus the existence of blind spots aren't normally perceived unless actively sought. Less strictly speaking, the things you fail to see in daily life are sometimes also said to happen in a sort of ''blind spot''.

Even more figuratively speaking, descriptive tricks and twists in novels and other media are said to take advantage of the reader's psychological ''blind spots''.

Blind spots? I have heard of them, but...
Humans lack photoreceptors on the retina where the optic nerve passes through it. You actually 'don't see anything' there.
...? You mean there's a blank spot in the middle of our vision?

Natsuhiko couldn't quite follow what Ena was saying.

I guess it is a little hard to explain in words. So instead, I'll send you a figure so you can experience it firsthand.

Ena fiddled with the computer to send image data to the students' tablet PCs.

Okay, so close your right eye and use your left eye to look at the dot on the right.
...?

Natsuhiko looked at the dot as instructed.

And then slowly move your face closer to the screen. Once you're about 15 cm away, what happens...?
Ah!

Natsuhiko couldn't help but exclaim. The dot that he could've sworn was there had disappeared. The other students appeared to have the same reaction, and the classroom broke into a commotion.

Understand what happened, class? The black dot entered the left eye's 'dead spot'. The dead spot is a 'place where the eye cannot see', or in other words, an 'empty space'. Humans cannot see anything inside those dead spots.
I see...
But... that's kind of strange... How can we have a hole in our vision without normally being aware of it?
It is strange, isn't it? That's because the brain automatically fills in the gap.
It fills in the gap...?
Okay, next, I'll send you an image to demonstrate how that works.

And with that, Ena sent the students another image.

Same thing as last time. Close your right eye and use your left eye to look at the dot...

As instructed, Natsuhiko closed his right eye and brought his face closer to the image. And when he did--

Huh?

Natsuhiko was surprised once again. Now the broken line appeared to be smooth and continuous.

Interesting, isn't it? This is what I meant when I said the brain automatically fills the gap. Because of your blind spot, you can't see the part where the line is broken... But your brain functions automatically to fill in that gap. Furthermore, this is always happening. Even when you're just looking at your environment normally.
Haah~...

Natsuhiko finally realized.

(So the reason the line looked continuous was because that's how my brain filled in the gap, huh...)

In other words, the brain apparently assumed that ''the line wouldn't suddenly just break there; it's obviously continuous''. And in the same way, the brain is ''continuously'' or ''automatically'' filling in the dead spots--

(So that's why we're never consciously aware of our dead spots in everyday life.)
Understand, class? This is what I meant when I said that things the brain perceives are hallucinations to begin with. What lies before our eyes isn't exactly seen the way it actually is... Everything, without exception, is filtered by the brain before we perceive it. What we see isn't everything, and everything we see isn't necessarily real.
(So maybe everything she's saying is a hallucination as well...)

But it might've been a bit of a stretch to say that. Natsuhiko chuckled to himself.

So, do you now understand that when humans perceive their world, it has to be through their brain as a necessity? BC, as you all know, is communication directly influencing the brain. Theoretically, that influence isn't limited to the sense of hearing... Perhaps it's not limited to just telepathy and empathy, either. If visual-influencing telepathy exists, then perhaps taste-reading empathy could exist as well. Perhaps one can even convey the entire world one perceives to someone else. The possibilities of BC are endless. So keep training every day until you can open up a new path yourselves. Who knows? One day you may find a third ability beyond that of telepathy or empathy.

Ena springboarded off that note to begin the actual lesson. The connection between the brain and BC, the parts of the brain that perceive BC, the theoretical mechanisms-- She reached a good stopping point right as the bell rang...

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

PHANTOM: 09/12/2030, 10:05

♪ BGM: Foolishness

Mashiro started to talk as a way of actively ignoring the noise.

♪ BGM: Languid Hours of Rokumei City

Yeah, that's a first for parapsychology.
But it was kind of odd, wasn't it~? If it's all true, that means the world I see and the world you see could actually be completely different, doesn't it?
Hmm, does it?
Visual and auditory hallucinations are an obvious example of how 'different people perceive things differently', right? Some people see things others don't see, or hear things other people don't hear.
Yeah, that's true...

Visual and auditory hallucinations are a category of brain activity. So if those activities vary from person to person, then so too does perception. Eight billion people in the world have eight billion brains, each perceiving eight billion different worlds. Each of them perceives their own world as ''the'' world, but that world of theirs can perhaps at times become distorted.

(... That's kind of a scary thought.)

For some reason, Natsuhiko felt a chill.

So I guess in a certain sense, telepathy is a way to 'intentionally cause auditory hallucinations', then.
Well, there's a peculiarity to the way it sounds, so you can tell it's telepathy, though.
It'd be annoying if that weren't the case. You'd lose track of what's a real voice, what's an auditory hallucination, and what's telepathy.
If that were the case, though, would there be some concrete way of figuring out if something were a real voice or not?

Mashiro casually remarked-- and suddenly got a response from behind.

???: No, there wouldn't.
!?

♪ BGM: Individualist / Theme of Louise

Hmm, you can't think of a way either, Salyu?
I can't because it doesn't exist. It's just as difficult as attempting to differentiate a real voice from an auditory hallucination.
Huh, really?
The brain at times believes that hallucinations are real. What do you think happens then?

Salyu switched her glance from Mashiro to Natsuhiko.

Huh...? (What happens if you think that hallucinations are real?) What would happen...? I really don't know. Wouldn't a hallucination still be a hallucination, though? Wouldn't you feel fear if you heard or saw something out of the ordinary...?
No.

The air seemed to creak the moment Salyu cut in.

The moment the brain decides to believe it, the person hallucinating fully accepts it as the truth. Since the hallucination 'exists' to that person, they feel no fear nor doubt.
Even though it's a hallucination...?
Even though it's a hallucination.

A flustered Mashiro cut in after Salyu's firm assertion.

H-hey, Salyu... what's this all of a sudden?
Weren't you the one who started this conversation?

Salyu responded vaguely to Mashiro and continued.

An example-- In 1857, there was an inventor in the French commune of Wissembourg who was trying to create a telephone. It was said to be technically impossible at the time. But he still stepped up to the challenge. Twelve years and many hardships passed, and then the inventor finally succeeded-- or at least he thought he did.
The inventor -thought- he did...?
He gathered all the people for a grand unveiling of the telephone's debut. He installed a telephone in the house next door. The neighbor spoke to the inventor through the receiver and said 'Hello, can you hear me?' But at his own house, this is what the inventor heard through the receiver: 'Congratulations! You are a grand inventor!' --The telephone was completely inoperable.

That moment, a chill ran down Natsuhiko's spine.

...That's a spooky story.
In short, it's thought that the voice he heard through the receiver was a type of hallucination. Perhaps the inventor had gone mad. In the end, the inventor never once doubted that he had truly invented the telephone. In 1876, when Graham Bell received the patent on the telephone, the other inventor filed a lawsuit saying his invention had been stolen.

Tips posted:

TIP: Alexander Graham Bell

A scholar and inventor born in Scotland. He lived from 1847 to 1922. He is the inventor who applied for a patent on the telephone in February 1876 and obtained experimental success the next March. That said, Bell was merely the first to apply for a patent on the telephone. Beginning with American inventor Elisha Gray, whose patent application was turned in only slightly later, several people had invented telephones or similar devices before Bell did.

Italian inventor Antonio Meucci completed a telephone prototype in 1854 (though he lacked the capital to apply for a patent). In Germany, Johann Philipp Reis was said to have completed a telephone prototype in 1860.

No way... He was that deluded in his belief?

Natsuhiko was reminded of what Yuuri had told him about ''memories'' last night, but it felt like something was just a little different. But Salyu answered with a nod.

...The brain actively works to rationalize its perceptions and eliminate inconsistencies. This is just an obvious example of that. Depending on the circumstances, the brain will even distort reality. As far as the inventor was concerned, the hallucination was the truth and the real voice was the fabrication. No matter what those around him said, he never once doubted what he thought to be the truth, and so--

Mashiro raised her voice before Salyu could finish.

Salyu!

Natsuhiko gasped. Mashiro's voice was trembling.

Hey, Salyu, please stop... That story's kinda scary.
... ... I didn't mean to scare you.

Ah... no, I'm sorry. Please, forget it.
What's wrong, Mashiro? You don't like scary stories?
Uugh, yeah. I guess I'm not good with those sorts of stories?

Mashiro spoke with a wry smile as she held a finger up to her temple.

That was a pretty good horror story though, Salyu. But if you scare me too much like that, you're gonna make me cry, okay? If you tell stories like that again, I might have to tell on you to Dr. Tenkawa, you hear?
!

A blue branch with Mashiro at 7.

...Roger. I'll be careful.
P-please. For real.

With a pitiful look on her face, Mashiro glanced at Natsuhiko.

...Oh shut up. I'm okay with ghosts and stuff, but I'm terrible with psychological horror.
Well, that's good to know. So, ever heard of this story?
Huh... what story?
There was this experiment in America after World War II meant to test the limits of human madness--

Tips posted:

TIP: Eichmann Test

In 1960, war criminal Adolf Eichmann was finally captured for the crime of transporting Jewish people to extermination camps during World War II.

However, Eichmann's character as established in court was not that of a madman, but a simple factory foreman who loved his wife and worked hard every day. Exactly what had driven Eichmann to commit such cruel acts...? American psychologist Stanley Milgram strove to find the answer to that question in what is now known as the Eichmann test, or the Milgram experiment.

Milgram first used the pretext of a ''memory experiment'' to call for male test subjects whom he assigned the role of teacher or learner. Next, he put the teacher and the learner in separate rooms and had the teacher ask the learner questions through an intercom. The experimenter instructed the teacher to send stronger and stronger electric shocks to the learner for each incorrectly answered question. Whenever a teacher became hesitant, the experimenter firmly insisted they continue, and thus, for the most part, the teachers calmly ended up administering electric shocks at even fatal voltages...

Since loss of life wasn't a goal in the experiment, though, the test subjects assigned the role of learners were simply planted actors. There were no electric shocks, either. Even so, the results of the experiment were terrifying in their own right because they proved that people's consciousnesses are easily numbed and subjugated in the face of authority.

I-I haven't heard that story, but please stop! I've already got a bad feeling about this!
First, they attached electrodes to the experimental subject and locked them in a room--
I don't want to hear any more!
And then in another room, there was a button you could push to send them an electric shock--
LA LA LA! I CAN'T HEAR YOU!

Natsuhiko smirked to see Mashiro plugging her ears.

(Never knew she had such a weak spot... I guess there are some things you don't know about people even after you've been with them for so long.)

Salyu looked on in wonder at Natsuhiko and Mashiro's banter.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Today's BC conversation brought to you by The Lucifer Principle and the Two Truths Doctrine.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

THROW AWAY YOUR BOOKS, RALLY IN THE STREETS: 09/12/2030, 16:00

Lunch break ended and the afternoon classes swiftly came to a close...

Natsuhiko stretched and called out to the seat next to him.

All right, Mashiro, how about we head--

Salyu was staring directly at him.

...Ah, right, you coming with us, Salyu?
...Mm.

Natsuhiko felt an odd sense of tension and distance with her. There was something about her ominous story that bugged him too.

(It's kinda hard to talk to her... What do I do?)
What's wrong you two? Still feeling awkward around each other? Just try to act natural when you talk. Natural.
Nah... wait, Mashiro, what about you? How can you be so calm? Weren't you quivering in fear from Salyu's story earlier today?
What, still talking about that? You worry too much, Natsuhiko.
Or so you say...

It was not as if he could lower his guard with the flip of a switch. Far from it. It was only stronger today compared to yesterday.

Even if you tell us to talk naturally, it's not like we have any topics in common to talk about.
Good grief, that's so anti-social of you... Let's see... What can we do about that...

Mashiro fell silent to ponder for a second-- and then clapped her hands together.

Okay! Let's all go shopping today!
Huh? But didn't we just go shopping the day before yesterday?
That was grocery shopping. It doesn't count. Salyu, you've just moved in, so there's a bunch of stuff you need too, right?
No, not particularly--
Now-now-now-now, no need to hold back. I mean, it's just sooo boring to just go straight back home, isn't it? The weather's nice, too. Perfect shopping weather. So how about the three of us go shopping?
... I'll go if Natsuhiko goes.
Huh?

Natsuhiko jumped at the abrupt answer. Was Salyu perhaps trying to lower her guard around him too? If that were the case, it'd mean Natsuhiko was the only one being obstinate. Quite the awkward situation.

W-well, fine, then...
Okay, that settles it! Welp, here we go!

Salyu nodded expressionlessly. Natsuhiko nodded with a sigh.

(But still, how'd things turn out like this...?)

♪ BGM: Family and Friends

Salyu, is there anything you want?
Not in particular.

A blue branch with Salyu at 7.

Natsuhiko had that thought, but said nothing. He just followed silently wherever Mashiro took him.

Have you gotten everything you need for daily life?
The professor already bought me the essentials like a towel, a toothbrush, and underwear. That should be plenty.
Mmmgh, you live so simply...!

Natsuhiko was surprised to learn about that side of Salyu, but-- That's when he noticed something.

Wait a second... What about clothes?
Huh?
You were wearing your uniform even when you came to the house. Don't tell me those are the only clothes you have?
Is that a problem?
I knew it... We -are- talking about Mom here, so I guess she didn't even think about clothes for Salyu.

Which made her apathetic about other people's clothing as well.

Oh boy, that does sound like something the professor would do. In that case, let's go buy you some clothes, Salyu!
I have my uniform, so I'm good.
That's no good. You're a girl, after all! Besides, if you spend all day in your uniform, it's going to get wrinkly.
But... I actually don't have that much money on me.
Relax! Natsuhiko's picking up the tab.
Huh? I am!?

Natsuhiko was terrified to be suddenly volunteered. But that's when Mashiro whispered into his ear.

Why not, Natsuhiko? It's just for clothes. I'm sure the professor wouldn't mind, right?
Well, I guess...

The professor left Natsuhiko in charge of a credit card for times like these. That's what they used to buy groceries, but Natsuhiko still showed day-to—day moderation.

But still, Mashiro, usually you're the pennypincher... I guess rare things do happen, sometimes.
But look, it's just so pitiful to leave Salyu with only the clothes on her back. If you're that against it, I don't mind paying out of pocket. I'm fine either way, so what'll it be?

Now that Mashiro had gone that far, it was very difficult for Natsuhiko to decline.

Gh... f-fine. I'll pay.
Okay, that settles it then! Explain the circumstances to the professor for me, okay?

And with that, Mashiro turned back to Salyu.

Salyu, your sponsor's given the go-ahead~ So pick out whatever clothes you like.
Huh...? ...Okay. If you two insist, then I shall have you make the purchase for me.

Her phrasing was odd, but for the time being, it looked like they had reached an agreement for the time being.

(That was a weak reaction...)

Perhaps clothing was of no importance to Salyu.

Awrighty, in that case, let's go to that clothing store over there.

Mashiro pointed to a nearby store.

One look inside, and sure enough, they had racks full of tasteful clothing.

I see. Okay, I'll be waiting outside, so you two can...
What are you talking about, Natsuhiko? Help us choose. We need to hear a boy's opinion too. Right, Salyu?
Please.
See, c'mon, you too, Natsuhiko!
Huh? Hold on, now...

Mashiro nearly dragged Natsuhiko and Salyu into the clothing store.

She had Salyu try on different outfits, as if she were playing dress up with a doll.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

ARMS: 09/12/2030, 17:20

This is one of those chapters where I'm really interested to see what you take away from it.

Salyu shyly looked away.

Wait, why did you have to change too? No, before that, when did you even buy that?
Why not? Picking out clothes for Salyu got me in the mood to dress up too, see? And naturally, I paid out of my own pocket. How's it look? How's it look?
...Mashiro, umm, I think you're cute too.
Oh? You flatter me~ Your big sis is super happy.

With Mashiro patting her on her head, Salyu looked just as cute as a typical girl her age.

(Looks like Mashiro's completely lowered her guard around Salyu, huh...)

But Natsuhiko still had some misgivings.

♪ BGM: Anxious Times of Rokumei City

He remembered seeing Salyu, the only one in the sea of onlookers who calmly looked at him instead of the accident--

(It's bizarre no matter how I think about it... Isn't it strange for her to look straight at me and me alone right after a big accident like that?)

She seemed like an outsider coming to disrupt his peaceful days, but perhaps there'd be a reason for that too if he looked back far enough. Besides, even if she did come to ''protect'' him, there shouldn't have been a reason to keep an eye on him from that far away.

(I want a logical explanation...)

Unless he had that explanation, he wouldn't be able to open his heart to Salyu. And so he made up his mind and asked her.

What is it?
There was an accident here the day before yesterday... You were here back then too, weren't you?
...What about it?
Huh? Wait, Salyu, you were there at the scene of the accident too? Ah, then that means you saw me panicking too--
Hold off for a second, Mashiro, there's something important I need to say.

Mashiro gulped and fell silent at Natsuhiko's subdued voice.

Ah... sorry, continue.
Thanks. So, Salyu... Back then you didn't give the accident a second look. Instead you looked my way, right?
Huh...?
All the other onlookers had their eyes on the accident, so why were you alone looking at me? It's been bugging me ever since. Can you tell me your reasons?

Salyu silently pondered-- and then she spoke with a sigh.

...It was just a coincidence that I happened to be at the scene of the accident.
A coincidence?
Yeah. That day, I was walking through the city that I'd soon be living in. And then that accident happened. It's rude to stare at accidents, so I just meant to pass through, but... That's when I heard a tremendous 'voice' and stopped in surprise.
--Oh.

The more he thought about it, the more that made sense. Even Natsuhiko himself was surprised at how he had used telepathy.

Then, in that case... were you looking for the source of that voice? That telepathy?
Yeah. I was looking around and we happened to make eye contact. You looked like the professor's son from how she described you, so I thought 'could that possibly be him'? It would be weird to go out of my way to ask you, so I gave up and left. That's all.

Salyu quickly explained herself in one breath.

Ohh, so that's all. I was wondering why you were acting so strange around Salyu... Is that what was on your mind, Natsuhiko?
Ah, well... yeah, I guess it did bother me.

Now that the mystery had been solved, the actual answer seemed to be quite trivial.

But still... I think anyone would be bothered if they were in my position. If someone got into an accident before your eyes and then gave you some bizarre warning, and to top it all off, an unfamiliar girl holding some kind of stuffed animal stared at you...

Natsuhiko glanced at Salyu's stuffed animal.

Stuffed Animal: Kyu, kyukyu...!

Said stuffed animal made a strange sound.

Geh, it squeaked!?
Ah, it did it again...

Natsuhiko remembered it had done so before.

(That thing has been bugging me too...) Say, what exactly is that stuffed animal? It seems to squeak from time to time...

Tips posted:

TIP: ARMS
Category: Fiction

Short for Atmosphere Reading Mascot System. A cutting-edge gadget in the form of a ferret-like stuffed animal that Miyoko Tenkawa prepared for Salyu.

By pointing the cameras installed in its eyes at the face of a target, its built-in CPU will quantitatively analyze that target's facial expression, voice, and gestures. It will then determine the target's emotion and emit a corresponding cry. Additionally, the interior of its body is equipped with a touch panel display and all sorts of input/output cables, allowing it to function as a high-level mobile PC that is also capable of accepting voice commands. Its power source is an experimental liquid solar battery, allowing it to withstand extended periods of outdoor use.

Arms?
'Atmosphere Reading Mascot System'
Hmm, so you mean it can pick up on moods and stuff?
Huh...? What's that supposed to mean?

The stuffed animal squeaked again at Natsuhiko's confusion.

Stuffed Animal: Kyuu...
Natsuhiko, this ARMS device just looked at you and made a confused squeak, right?
Y—yeah.
It analyzed your voice and facial expression and made the judgment that 'Natsuhiko is confused'. And so it said 'kyuu' to tell me that. In other words, it's an automatic response device that reads other people's emotions and reacts accordingly.
I see. So it's basically a high level pet robot, then.

Pet robots in general had gotten quite popular recently. Natsuhiko had heard that their functionalities had been advancing over the years, so he assumed that this was just one of those advancements.

But that sure sounds new. I've never even heard of an 'emotion reading' function, you know?
Is that even possible?
The emotions people have, the impressions they give, and their 'atmospheres' in their entirety have been a topic of research in computer science since the 20th Century. But it wasn't until very recently that those things could be quantified.
So this is a cutting edge device, then...
Sounds expensive~ I understand why you'd want to carry it around with you everywhere.
I don't particularly carry it because it's expensive. I carry it because I need it.
Because you need it?
...To be honest, I'm very poor at understanding the nuances of people's emotions and facial expressions. It's thanks to this thing that I can finally communicate properly with people.
Huh... really?
Is it because you lived in France? Is it hard to understand Japanese facial expressions?
--Yes. Something like that. That's why I was uneasy about adapting to a new life. But with ARMS, I think I can somehow manage.
...So that's how it was.

Natsuhiko felt as if he had seen a side of Salyu he had never seen before.

Here, we have another bad end lurking if we don't trust Salyu enough. Here, we need it at 4 or higher. Our Sense of 7 is more than enough to see us safely.

Natsuhiko felt like he finally understood a lot of things.

(Those were all signs of anxiety... that's why she acted that way.)

Natsuhiko suddenly found himself seeing Salyu in a different light. And at the same time, he felt slightly embarrassed. Now that he thought about it, not once since Salyu arrived did Natsuhiko treat her favorably. He just rejected her under the pretense that she was a girl he didn't really understand. Which was by no means a good attitude to take.

(What am I, a kid...?)

After chiding himself and pondering for a moment-- he timidly called out to Salyu.

Say, Salyu...
What is it?
Umm, well... I'm sorry. I'm sorry for always acting so hostile towards you.
Oh, that. It's okay. I don't mind at all. So there's no need for you to be concerned.
No, but still... it was really mean of me. I'm sorry.
...Mm.

It was still an awkward exchange as ever-- but it wasn't unpleasant at all. Something that had been lurking in the depths of Natsuhiko's heart had silently thawed away. And as if she had sensed that change in Natsuhiko, Mashiro smiled.

Hmm, that's great. We've cleared up all those misunderstandings. So now we can begin our friendship anew, right?
Hey... don't say stuff like that. You ruined the mood.
But still, I'm impressed, Natsuhiko. You actually apologized. You know, you have to say those things out loud or nobody will ever know, right?
...True. It helps if you say what's on your mind. There are some things that ARMS can't cover for, after all.
O-okay. I'll keep that in mind as we go forward.

He ended up phrasing that awkwardly due to his embarrassment. Mashiro smiled devilishly and then addressed Salyu.

By the way, Salyu? What's this doll's name?
Huh? Like I said, it's ARMS.
No, no, that's not what I meant... I mean, what's yours named specifically? I mean, you're supposed to give pets names, right? Like Fluffy or Spot. Something like that.
!? I never thought about that...
Then why don't you name it? It's more endearing to give it a name.
True, that does sound good. But... I can't think of a name. So I'll let you name it, Mashiro.
Huh!? M-me!? Are you sure? That's such an important responsibility, though.
But you were so quick to decide my nickname.
Now that's true. Besides, you're good at that sort of thing, aren't you Mashiro?
Y-you're right. Okay, I'll think of a name! Hmm... let's see... let's see... I know, how about 'Alice'?
Alice?
As in Wonderland?
No, not that Alice. The Alice that wrote the sci-fi novel Salyu was reading yesterday.
Yesterday? Oh, that one she had at school.

Now that she mentioned it, Mashiro did appear to have known about the book Salyu was reading yesterday.

But Mashiro, that's wrong. That book was written by James--
Heheheh, sorry, that's wrong. That was a pen name. The author's real name was Alice.
...I didn't know that. You're so knowledgeable, Mashiro.
So, what do you think? It is a sci-fi kinda item, and it sounds cute, doesn't it?

Here, we have a yellow branch with Mashiro at 7 that hides the entrance to her second friendship scene.

As Salyu spoke, she gently stroked her ARMS device, now known as Alice, on the head.

I think it's good too. It sounds cute. Good job, Mashiro.
Don't praise me just for thinking of a name like that~ You're embarrassing me.

Before Natsuhiko had noticed, the somewhat serious mood had been completely cleared away.

But you did good. It looks like she likes it, too.
Ah shucks, to be honest, I wasn't too sure of it~ I'm used to giving people nicknames, but it's been a long time since I named a pet.
A pet? Did you have any pets, Mashiro?
We did in the past, remember? You, me, and Yuuri too.
Oh... are you talking about 'Sirius'?
Yeah. Really brings you back, huh.

And with that, Natsuhiko recalled a distant memory.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
So Salyu has a sort of specialized support "animal" to compensate for her poor social skills. I wonder if the condition is related to autism, or if it's related to how she was brought up. Though I suppose the story probably won't get into that.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

So Salyu has a sort of specialized support "animal" to compensate for her poor social skills. I wonder if the condition is related to autism, or if it's related to how she was brought up. Though I suppose the story probably won't get into that.

While I don't feel comfortable saying such a condition doesn't exist, my desire to try and fit everything together leads me to believe her difficulties are caused by something on the order of 'had her powerful and unconscious empathy skills she'd been using her whole life sealed away'. Also, drat it Ena, your hallucination talk has just confirmed something I was already paranoid about. Also also, we find out about 'Sirius', who was probably actually a dog. Will Watase show his face?

EDIT: Alice doesn't disprove the Magical Girl Salyu theory! I'll believ in it with all my heart!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

OddHaberdasher posted:

While I don't feel comfortable saying such a condition doesn't exist, my desire to try and fit everything together leads me to believe her difficulties are caused by something on the order of 'had her powerful and unconscious empathy skills she'd been using her whole life sealed away'.

Yeah that's what I'm expecting too.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
This does go to explain some of the ridiculous levels of distrust she was having After the explosion. Not all of it, I'm still leery about her, but I'm beginning to consider the crazy idea that she may have been misguided, rather than idiotic/psychotic.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

The book Mashiro is talking about is Up The Walls Of The World, about psychic mind-swaps and a military lab studying telepathy.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Explosions posted:

The book Mashiro is talking about is Up The Walls Of The World, about psychic mind-swaps and a military lab studying telepathy.

Huh. Never knew that.

Is the in-shop scene physically impossible to get on a first playthrough, or did it need max Favor?

OddHaberdasher posted:

Also, drat it Ena, your hallucination talk has just confirmed something I was already paranoid about.

By the way, what exactly did you mean here?

Cyouni fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 20, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Haifisch posted:

What I'm getting from this is that either Salyu can read minds, or her stuffed animal is some sort of intention/emotion detector.
Hey, I was right!

OddHaberdasher posted:

This does go to explain some of the ridiculous levels of distrust she was having After the explosion. Not all of it, I'm still leery about her, but I'm beginning to consider the crazy idea that she may have been misguided, rather than idiotic/psychotic.
Come to think of it, we didn't see that doll at all in After, did we? That plus Watase's sketchiness would explain a lot.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Cyouni posted:

By the way, what exactly did you mean here?

I meant that now we have to worry about hallucinations on top of everything else. I'm really enjoying piecing things together, but I personally dislike it when I have to wonder if some of those pieces are illusionary.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
But the greatest hallucination was... everything we knew! Our entire life! We were all woodland animals all along! ...poo poo, nobody's going to buy games at this rate.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Cyouni posted:

Is the in-shop scene physically impossible to get on a first playthrough, or did it need max Favor?

I assume the in-shop scene is Salyu's friendship scene for the chapter. It's totally possible to get, it just requires perfect Favor management.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

TheMcD posted:

I assume the in-shop scene is Salyu's friendship scene for the chapter. It's totally possible to get, it just requires perfect Favor management.

That would indeed explain it. On the plus side, it's not connected to any of the other ones so you don't really need it to collect the other friendship scenes.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

HIS NAME WAS SIRIUS

♪ BGM: Words of Healing

One day, Natsuhiko went to the park with snacks in hand.

(I hope Mashiro's not there... If she is, I'm sure we'll just get into another fight again.)

He had a bag of biscuits for his snack that day. If Mashiro were there. he thought he'd go show it off.

!!

Natsuhiko couldn't believe what he saw.

Stray Dog: Grr...

The dog growled and stared at Mashiro.

Ah... n-noo... Wh-what do you want...!? Go away...!
Stray Dog: Woof! Raw!
S-somebody... save me...

Mashiro tearfully pleaded. But there was nobody else around. Noticing that nobody else could save her, Natsuhiko rushed down--

!?

And forced his way between Mashiro and the stray dog.

Hey, puppy! Don't bully Mashiro!
Stray Dog: Bow!?
N-Natsuhiko!?

The words spilling out of Natsuhiko's mouth surprised the dog, Mashiro, and even Natsuhiko himself.

Natsuhiko, why...?
(Uhh, I dunno?)

Thinking on his feet, he declared.

She's my... uh, yeah, my rival! So I won't let anybody else have their way with Mashiro but me!

That was Natsuhiko paraphrasing the lines of one of the superhero TV shows he was obsessed with at the time. Despite the plagiarism, the assertiveness of the line was enough to overpower the stray dog.

Stray Dog: Grr...

As Natsuhiko stared the dog down, Mashiro whispered behind him.

N-Natsuhiko, don't tell me you came to my rescue...?
I didn't do it for you. I did it out of my heroic obligation.
Trying to act tough is cool and all... b-but what do you plan on doing...?
Heh heh heh. I planned ahead!

Natsuhiko slowly took a biscuit out of the bag in his pocket and tossed it to the dog.

Stray Dog: Oooogh~...

The dog whined and proceeded to devour the biscuit. He ate so heartily that he paid no attention to the kids.

O-okay, here's our chance! Let's get him while he's distracted!
W-wait, Natsuhiko!

The dog finished the biscuit in the blink of an eye-- And then let out a friendly whine.

Stray Dog: *whine* *whine*
Huh? He suddenly got all quiet...
M-maybe he was just hungry...?
Oh, that's kind of anticlimactic.

Natsuhiko's shoulders sank as the dog approached him.

Stray Dog: *whine*...
What, you want another biscuit?
Stray Dog: Bark!
Tch, fine... I'll give you my share too. Here, eat up.

Natsuhiko ripped up the biscuit bag and poured it onto the ground.

(I guess it's better this way so we don't have to fight... a hero's kindness, I guess.)

Without revealing how relieved he felt, Natsuhiko spoke to Mashiro.

Look, it's okay now, Mashiro.

But when he turned to look at Mashiro--

Hmm?
Waaahhh~! I was so scared!

She suddenly started crying.

Wah! Hey, don't cry!
Waaaahhh~~!

No matter how much Natsuhiko tried to calm her down, Mashiro kept crying. The dog just kept eating the biscuits beside them. And then-- about five minutes later. Mashiro finally stopped crying.

...*sniff* *sniff*...
Hey, you okay now?
Y-yeah...

Mashiro looked bashfully at Natsuhiko as she said this.

Uh... umm...
Hmm?
Um... well, th...

Mashiro mumbled her words.

...What? If you have something to say, then just say it already.

Right as Natsuhiko lost his patience--

Stray Dog: Woof!

The stray dog leapt at Natsuhiko. And then the dog started licking his face.

Ughughh! What!? What are you trying to pull!?
...Maybe giving him that biscuit tamed him?
I see... a-anyway, stop licking my face! That tickles!
Stray Dog: Woo~...

Natsuhiko firmly spoke and the dog obeyed. Perhaps he was a smarter dog than he appeared.

...Still, you look like you've got promise. Want to be my friend?
Hahah, what an obedient guy.

Natsuhiko happily patted the dog on the head. Mashiro spoke gently.

He's so cute~
No, he's cool. Not cute. Cute is weak.
Well, I don't care either way. More importantly, he's a stray, isn't he?
Well, I guess he is. He doesn't have a collar after all.
Then why don't we keep him?
No, I can't keep a dog at my place. My Mom's got allergies.
I see. My Dad hates animals too. Hmm...

Mashiro thought for a while before clapping her hands together.

Then why don't we keep him in this park? We can feed him here.
Ah, I think we can do that! Let's do it!

Natsuhiko approved of Mashiro's plan. It seemed like a pretty good idea.

What do we name him?
Hmm? Let's see... Let's see... I know! How does 'Sirius' sound!?
Sirius?
It's the name of the dog constellation, I think. And it's also the name of our city's rescue squad.
The rescue squad, huh... that's cool. Okey dokey, from now on, your name's Sirius!
Sirius: Woof!

The dog heartily replied as if he liked the name too.

Good for you, Sirius.
Sirius: Woof!

Mashiro smiled at the happy Sirius. As he saw her smile, Natsuhiko remembered the question that had been bugging him.

By the way, Mashiro, were you trying to say something earlier?
Huh? No... nothing.
What? You weirdo.
Whaddaya mean, weirdo? Stupid.
Hmph.
Hmph.

They turned away from each other in a huff. But starting that day-- Natsuhiko and Mashiro's mutual feuding gradually came to an end.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

ARMS: 09/12/2030, 17:20 - PART 2

Now that he thought about it, he had gotten along with Mashiro ever since that time. They didn't get along at first, but it was an animal that brought them together back then as well.

(It's almost like the situation now.)

This time, Alice let out a gentle squeak.

Alice: Kyuu kyuu!
Ah, Alice squeaked again.
I've never heard that squeak before... Natsuhiko, what are you thinking now?
I was just feeling a little nostalgic.

Natsuhiko answered Salyu with a smile.

Now then... we've still got time. What do you want to do?
There's nothing more I need to buy.

Natsuhiko thought they should go home in that case, but Mashiro spoke up as if something had crossed her mind.

Huh? But I thought we already stocked the refrigerator?
Ah, no, I mean, yesterday we only had a plain dinner with the food we had on hand. So I was thinking I should be a little more extravagant tonight as a sort of welcome party for Salyu.

Now that he thought about it, they didn't have any sort of welcome party. But he was unsure if it was really appropriate to throw one now.

...So, um, can I choose what I want to eat?
Of course. So, what would you like, Salyu?
Bifteck!
Pffft!

Natsuhiko was caught off guard at Salyu's vigorous response.

You sure know what you want, huh. But still, calling beefsteak 'bifuteki' is such old-fashioned Japanese...
You're so ignorant, Natsuhiko. Bifuteki comes from the French 'le bifteck'. It means 'a cut of meat'. It's not an abbreviation of beefsteak.
What? I never knew that.
Ahahah, anyway, you want to eat beef, right?
Yes. So much. Hurry Mashiro, let's go now.
Ah, hold on. Wait for me~

Mashiro and Salyu ran off. Their exchange was so peaceful, Natsuhiko couldn't help but smile.

(I guess this is nice...)

He chased after them as he mused to himself. Natsuhiko felt just the slightest bit of euphoria in this moment.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, we've got some serious flashback variety here. As opposed to Mr. Amnesia who could barely remember the morning.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Great, now I have to stop reading this LP so I don't get depressed over whatever tragic fate befalls the poor doggy.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

CirclMastr posted:

Great, now I have to stop reading this LP so I don't get depressed over whatever tragic fate befalls the poor doggy.

I know that feel, I can stand the death of pretty much any character in an action or horror media (even the token kid, circumstances of death depending) but bring in even the most vicious dog and their death will bring a tear to my eye. If this game showed us an entire orphanage sacrificed to the cruel ways of science I wouldn't bat an eye, but the dog, the drat dog!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

PASSIONATE MEAL: 09/12/2030, 18:10

They then passed through the entryway together.

Yuuri welcomed them in.

I'm back, Yuuri.
And I'm back too~!
... I'm back.

Even Salyu timidly replied too. Mashiro smiled in relief before speaking up.

Awwrighty, let's get to making dinner, then. Today we're having a luxurious menu, you know~?
Ah, should I help?
It's okay, it's okay. I'll be fine on my own. Actually, I want to show you just how serious I can get... The kitchen's gonna be a battlefield. There's no room for amateurs to drag me down.
...! O-okay, then. Good luck...
Heheh, just sit tight and wait.

And with that, Mashiro went into the kitchen. And after an hour of patient waiting-- Mashiro soon lined the table with a smorgasbord of food.

♪ BGM: Helper / Theme of Mashiro

Okay, thanks for waiting! French bread with beef liver pate, shrimp en cocotte, salade nicoise, as well as Vichyssoise soup. And for the main dish: Chaliapin-Style Bifteck!
W-whoaaah~!!

Natsuhiko couldn't contain his shout of joy. There were five delicious dishes laid out, each with their own unique appearances.

...Magnificent.
Wow, Mashiron. You made all this in such a short amount of time?
Wow, that's just too good to be true. What are you...?
That's all thanks to daily training and an industrial grade pressure cooker. But we can talk later, let's just eat already!
Roger. Natsuhiko, hurry.
Oh, sure.

Natsuhiko and Yuuri came to the dinner table upon Mashiro and Salyu's urging.

Now then, let's celebrate our meeting with Salyu! Thanks for the food!
Thanks for the food!

And with their joyous shout, they began their meal.

...Delicious!

He couldn't help but let a voice of admiration seep out of his lips. The deep taste of the pate and the sweet scent of the bread entwined in a medley of flavor. Natsuhiko couldn't detect the characteristic odor of the liver at all.

Mmm~... The cocotte's delicious too~! It melts in your mouth.
Mm, the salad's delicious too...
Heheheh, looks like you guys like it. But what I'm most proud of has to be the main dish.

This recipe was apparently devised so that a certain opera singer could savor the beef to the fullest.

Tips posted:

TIP: Feodor Ivanovich Chaliapin

A popular Russian opera singer in the early 20th century.

His deep, powerful voice and extraordinary talent gained him praise and renown as the most well-known opera singer of the 20th century. Though he was born in a poor family, he taught himself music until he was good enough to earn roles in an opera company. It is said that his first genuine voice lesson was not until he was age 19. Afterwards, he performed in the Bolshoi Theatre in Moscow, the Teatro alla Scale in Milan, the Metropolitan Opera House in New York, and other venues. His fame slowly grew and eventually he became a huge sensation.

In 1936, two years before his death, he came to Japan for a performance. During his stay at the Imperial Hotel, he suffered a toothache and requested a tender steak be prepared. Agreeing to the request, head chef at the time, Fukuo Tsutsui created a tender steak by marinating a well-pounded cut of beef in finely chopped onion. Chaliapin is said to have enjoyed the dish immensely.

The hotel named the dish Chaliapin steak, which went down in history as a Japanese-specific steak. Derivative items include Chaliapin sauce, a steak sauce made with onions and garlic; Chaliapin hamburg steak, made with said sauce; and Chaliapin pie, made with meat tenderized with onion.

It's definitely delicious! Please, feel free to try!
Let's see...

They each put some of the bifteck into their mouths--

!
!!
!!!

And their eyes widened. The moment they ate a bite, they felt the savory taste of the mellow meat. By appearances, it was a simple dish consisting only of cooked beef topped with minced onions. However, the meat was unbelievably tender, allowing a knife to cut through it like butter. And yet the tenderness came at no cost to the beef's taste whatsoever. With each bite, its meat juices would flow out, spreading savory flavor throughout the entire mouth.

...Mashiron. It's too delicious. I'm gonna cry.
Yeah. This could be the best thing you've ever made.
Ohoho, just call me Maestro.

Mashiro puffed her chest out in pride. Salyu fell silent and ate up her bifteck in the blink of an eye.

Huh, you already done eating, Salyu?
I guess Salyu's got a bigger appetite than you'd expect, huh.

Salyu timidly called out to Mashiro.

...Um, Mashiro?
Hmm? What is it?
Is there... more of this?
Y-you sure can eat, Salyu! One serving was plenty of food already.
I did make another helping of beef since I thought Natsuhiko would want more, but...
...!

Salyu glanced at Natsuhiko with pleading eyes.

--Mashiro, give that beef to Salyu for me.
You sure?
Well, of course. I'm not hesitant at all seeing Salyu eat like that.
...Thank you.
Awrighty! Here it comes! Hold on a sec!

Mashiro gleefully headed to the kitchen. Salyu ate her second helping of beef more slowly, making sure to savor each bite. And eventually, she finished eating that helping as well--

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

OUR FAVORITE THINGS: 09/12/2030, 20:00

♪ BGM: Peacemaker / Theme of Yuuri

Ahh... that was delicious...
Mm~... My tummy's so full...
...I saw the vastness of space.

Even Salyu spoke incomprehensibly as her eyes drooped.

That's great~ I made a lot of dishes I've never made before, so I was a little worried. 'I learned by imitation, but it turned out great!'

Mashiro tensed her voice as she spoke, causing Salyu to tilt her head in confusion.

Mashiro, sometimes you seem to change the way you talk... Was that supposed to be a male voice?
Ugh, you called me out so calmly. That's kinda embarrassing, you know...?

Natsuhiko thought that if it really were that embarrassing, she should've just not said it at all. Regardless, he joined in the conversation.

Ah, don't mind that. Mashiro just has this habit of quoting lines from manga and anime.
Man, I'm so ashamed. But I can't help it because I love that stuff.
What about you, Salyu? I've heard that manga and anime are popular in France.
True. So what about you, Salyu?
Huh?
Do you have any interest in manga or anime?

They asked even though it didn't look likely. Salyu thought for a second before answering.

I haven't watched or read either, but... I do read novels.
Ah, that's right. You were even reading a book in the classroom, right? What kinds of novels do you like?
Sci—fi.
Sigh fidelity?
Science fiction. I particularly like the ones from the last century.
Huh... didn't think you were into that kinda thing.
Ah, I've read some of those too~ Just the juvenile-ish ones, though.
Like the ones by 'Alice'?
Yeah, she's just about the only author I can talk about.

Mashiro grinned, and after a short second or two, Salyu smiled back.

...You say interesting things.
Hmm? What's that supposed to mean?
It's fun to talk about things you like with other people who like the same thing. Right, Salyu?
...Yeah.
Mmgh, I feel a little left out...

Natsuhiko smiled despite his complaint.

Oh right, Yuuri, are there any sci-fi novels you'd recommend?
Hmm, I don't read that much sci-fi, but... there is one book that I've read several times.
What's that~?
It was a story about 'telepaths' written before the Grand Communicator Discovery.
Oh, I know about that one too.
Me too!

It was a novel written more than half a century ago that still somewhat managed to predict today's society after the appearance of Communicators. Its foresight and detail gave it a second wind in popularity such that almost all kids in Natsuhiko's generation had read it at least once.

Did you know about it, Salyu? It's a Japanese sci-fi novel--

Salyu nodded when Mashiro told her the title.

Of course I know that one. The last chapter was very beautiful.
Speaking of the last chapter, it had a famous quote, didn't it? '-- Lord in heaven, why did you create us telepaths?'

After Yuuri quoted the book in a theatrical tone of voice, Mashiro eventually smiled and took over from where she left off.

'Was it meant as a test for humans and for telepaths, to see if we could reach an understanding?'

And after a short pause, Salyu contributed.

'If that is the case, O Lord...'

And finally, Natsuhiko concluded--

'Then we have failed you.'

And as they took turns reciting such sad lines-- they all smiled at each other.

Hahah... Looks like we finally found a topic we all have in common, huh?
We really got into it, huh. It all just seemed to click.
...We managed to get a reaction out of that.
I guess unlike the quote, we 'succeeded' in understanding each other, huh?

Even Yuuri and Salyu seemed to share in the harmonious conversation. Mashiro sighed in relief to see that. Mashiro seemed like she was trying to mediate Salyu's relationship with not just Natsuhiko, but with Yuuri too. Natsuhiko also tried to help a bit.

Yuuri really likes books. I'm sure she's got tons of recommendations for you if you want to try something besides sci-fi... so what do you think?
Mm, sounds interesting.
Then I'll choose a recommendation and lend it to you, okay?
In that case, since we're doing recommendations and all, maybe I should try a sci-fl novel? What do you recommend?
I don't know if you'd find them interesting, but--

Salyu listed several of her favorite authors and titles.

Okay, I'll try to read some of that. You read some too, Natsuhiko!
Huh? Why me too?
Think of it as a way to understand Salyu. If you know what someone likes, you'll know what's on their minds.
Is that a quote?
Nah, that's just my mantra. I've got several recommendations too, so I'll bring those over to this house for now.
So if I finish those, I'll understand what's on your mind, Mashiro?
Of course, of course. Like my favorite anime, 'Beyond*BEYOND'--

Salyu listened intently to Mashiro's otaku talk. Yuuri smiled as she listened in.

(... That's good. Looks like things are going along swimmingly.)

--He was expecting conflict, but instead, he got a friendly atmosphere filling the room. It looked like his worries about Yuuri's emotional scars were unnecessary, just like Mashiro said. In stark contrast to yesterday, today felt quite comfortable. It was the strange euphoric feeling he had felt earlier when they were coming home from shopping, but--

(... Ah...)

That's when Natsuhiko finally realized the true form of that feeling. Buying ingredients, going home, sharing a delicious dinner, and having a fun conversation afterwards. Those were all things a ''family'' did. Those were things the Tenkawa household had lost long ago, when his father had passed away and his mother became too busy to leave work. Natsuhiko felt like those things had returned. Perhaps all they needed was the addition of a younger child like Salyu.

(... Hahah.)

If you looked at the bigger picture, it almost looked like they were playing house. But Natsuhiko began to feel comfortable with that nonetheless.

(I'm so selfish, aren't I...)

Natsuhiko smiled bitterly at his own change in mentality as he joined in on the conversation.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

AT THE END OF AN UNEVENTFUL DAY: 09/12/2030, 22:00

And before they realized it, it was already past 10 PM. Yuuri started to doze off. Natsuhiko hesitated before speaking.

...Mashiro, it's about time for you to head home, don't you think?
Huh? Oh... would you look at the time. Uugh~ I want to talk just a little more, though...
But your parents will worry, won't they?
Besides, we can see each other again tomorrow.

A blue branch with Mashiro at 7.

Okay, well, I guess I'll head home for today, then. Okay, Natsuhiko, Salyu, Yuuri. See you tomorrow.
Later, Mashiron~
Yeah.

Huh? You're the one asking this time? ...Well, okay, I guess.

Mashiro agreed to Natsuhiko's suggestion.

Mashiro, thanks for everything today.
Huuuhh? What's with the formalities?
Ah, well... you helped me and Salyu open up to each other, right?
I guess, though I might've just been meddlesome.
But it was a good call to throw a welcome party. Eating delicious food together really helped to soften the mood.
Food has a mysterious power. At times, one even stronger than BC when it comes to bringing people together... I guess.

Tips posted:

TIP: BeyoBEYO/Episode 2 Commentary
Category: Fiction

''Love has a mysterious power. At times, one even stronger than psychic power.''

Kirara's close friend, Miko, begins to develop a small crush on Mamoru, the ace of the track and field club. When Kirara finds out, she decides that the easiest solution is to use psychokinesis to bring them physically closer together. Thus, Kirara transforms into Beyond Comni... but soon realizes she's too young to even understand exactly what love is. Not everything can be solved with psychic powers. Only medical treatment can heal someone's wounds. Only sincere feelings can move someone's heart. Yeti warns Kirara about this fact, but perhaps she's too young to even understand that...?

--Psychic Girl Beyond*BEYOND
Official Guidebook

As they all gathered around the table for Mashiro's home cooking, Natsuhiko felt a little less distant to Salyu.

''Food has a mysterious power. At times, one even stronger than BC when it comes to bringing people together.''

In the same way that Beyond Comni's psychic powers can't solve everything, neither can BC. Just take a look at Mashiro. Even though she has BC, her feelings still don't quite reach Natsuhiko...

Mashiro grinned in embarrassment, prompting Natsuhiko to strain a laugh.

Either way, I'm sure the man who marries you would be blessed. He'd get to eat food like this every day.
What's that? A hackneyed pickup line? That's so not your thing, so please cut it out.
Nah, it's not a pickup line. You just kinda made me want to say that today.
You're so on the fence... Well, if you're going to praise my cooking, I'll accept that.

Mashiro easily sidestepped Natsuhiko's banter. It's because he knew she would do that that Natsuhiko could joke like that.

(... Either way, a future like that's just unimaginable, huh.) Well, anyway, thanks. I need to thank you properly before long too.
Yeah, I'll look forward to it. Well, see you tomorrow, then.
Yeah, see you tomorrow.

And with their exchange of farewells, Natsuhiko went back inside.

Yuuri was asleep on the sofa.

Okay, Natsuhiko. I have my daily routine, so I'm going back to my room.
That reminds me, you said that yesterday too. What kind of daily routine? Studies?
Strength training.
Huh!? Strength... huh? ...That's another one of your hobbies?
More of a habit than a hobby. I haven't missed a single day in years. I need to do it every day or I get restless.
I-I see...

Salyu's personality was one surprise after another.

So you're trained in both literary and military arts, huh...? That's amazing.
It's not that big of a deal. Bye.

Salyu hurriedly started to leave the living room. But she stopped in front of the door to the hallway and whispered.

Huh? What's this all of a sudden?
I'm not good at it, so I'm not sure about this, but... It looked to me like everyone had fun today. Did you have fun, Natsuhiko?

...No. I had a lot of fun too.
...!
If only we could keep on having days like this...
What are you saying? Of course we will.
...Okay. I'll look forward to that.

That's all Salyu said before she left the living room. Natsuhiko just stared blankly at the closed door.

...'Did you have fun'...?

Natsuhiko was surprised at how bluntly Salyu asked about emotions.

(Could this girl... actually be a lot more honest than she lets on...?)

Natsuhiko still didn't quite understand Salyu. But his interest in her gradually grew and grew. He kept his guard up around her yesterday, but right now he felt he wanted to get along with her even more.

(I wonder if we can get along...? I wonder if things will work out? Well, I guess Mashiro is trying to bring us together and all.)

They had different cultures and personalities, so it seemed like a difficult task. But he felt that if they could clear away the walls they built up in their hearts, they could somehow manage to get along.

...Yeah, I had fun too.

As Natsuhiko sighed, he heard a voice from behind him.

Whaaat's going on...?

Natsuhiko turned back to see a sleepy-eyed Yuuri looking back at him.

Oh, Yuuri, did I wake you up?
No, it's okay~... I could catch a cold if I slept here anyway...
True. It's best to sleep in your own room.
Okay~...

Yuuri tottered to her feet and started to stagger towards her room. ...Or rather she started heading to an empty wall instead of the door.

Ah, Yuuri, are you still half-asleep?
Muu~??
Don't muu me. Your room's this way.

A blue branch with Yuuri at 8.

Don't guu me. Wake up... ah.

Without responding, Yuuri fell onto Natsuhiko for support.

Good grief. Again...?

This was a common occurrence.

And each time this happened, Natsuhiko would carry Yuuri like a princess.

Mm~... I'm floating~...
Geez. I'd hardly call it floating.

Yuuri continued talking in her sleep as they left the living room. They went through the hall towards Yuuri's room.

C'mon, Yuuri. Here's your room.
Zzz, zzz...

No matter how much he called out to her, she wouldn't get up at all.

(Wait a sec, I'm probably spoiling her too much...)

A yellow branch with Yuuri at 8. This one hides the entrance to Yuuri's second friendship scene.

Natsuhiko hesitated for a moment before opening the door to Yuuri's room.

Natsuhiko carried Yuuri to her bed and laid her down.

Here, sleep somewhere warm.

As Natsuhiko spoke, Yuuri wrapped herself up on her futon and spoke.

Hikori~n... before you go to sleep, read me a bedtime story~...
Huh? A bedtime story? Are you a kid?
It should be fine every now and then, right...?

Yuuri spoke like a child wanting to be pampered.

(What's going on? She's really acting like a child today.)

Natsuhiko answered, a little confused.

Okay. What should I read?
I'll let you choose, Hikorin~

Natsuhiko chose a suitable-looking picture book off the bookshelf.

...Hmm, mmhmm. Okay, let's begin then.
Yay! *clap* *clap*

Natsuhiko opened the book and started reading the dedication.

--All grown-ups were once children-- although few of them remember it.

--As he read, Natsuhiko soon noticed something. Long ago, Yuuri had badgered him to read this very same book.

(When was that...?)

Eventually, the door to Natsuhiko's memories opened. It was a memory from nearly 10 years ago-- About a month after he had met Yuuri.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

TheMcD posted:

AN UNEVENTFUL DAY

Yeeeeeep, this is going to go swimmingly.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

WHAT IS ESSENTIAL

♪ BGM: Words of Healing

And he saw Yuuri all by herself again. She was sitting on the grass, reading a book.

Huh, Yuuri? All by yourself again?
Ah, yeah...

Yuuri was shy and perhaps hadn't made any friends besides Natsuhiko. It was already past 5. Mashiro and the other kids were probably already going home.

You're out this late, Yuuri? I didn't know you were such a bad girl.
Hmm... yeah. I'm a bad girl.

Yuuri smiled wryly as she admitted to her crime.

Well, since we're both here, why don't we play together?
Ah, sure! Let's play! Let's play!
What do you want to do? It's a little boring to play tag with just the two of us...
Then how about we read a book together?
Huh? But books are boring...
But this one has a very good story, you know?

Yuuri spoke gently, yet it didn't seem like she'd take no for an answer. Natsuhiko reluctantly agreed.

Fine... let's read together, then.
Yeah! Okay, you get the prince's part, Natsuhiko!
Huh? Part?
I'll play this person's part, so we both get to read lines! Doesn't that sound like fun?
That kinda makes it seem like a play... Okay, let's do that.

Natsuhiko's interest was piqued just a little bit as they began to play in accordance with Yuuri's suggestion.

--All grown-ups were once children-- although few of them remember it.

--It was a somewhat fantastical story, like a picture book. Natsuhiko seldom read books, but thanks to the mysterious plot and charming characters, he was quite drawn into the story. Time just passed them by as they continued reading, absorbed in their book.

They read their characters' lines with the help of the illumination from the street posts.

'-- The stars are beautiful...'

Natsuhiko responded to Yuuri's line with his character's line.

'The stars are beautiful, because of a flower that cannot be seen. All the stars are a-bloom with flowers... What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.'
'...'
'...Tonight, it will be a year... My star, then, can be found right above the place where I came to the Earth, a year ago...'
'Yes, I know...'

Yuuri read that far before suddenly sinking into silence.

Huh, Yuuri?

When Natsuhiko called her name, Yuuri's head jumped up in surprise. And then she looked at Natsuhiko and continued.

'...It's time to say goodbye, isn't it?'

Natsuhiko nodded at the line. He got completely into character and answered.

'...Time soothes all sorrows. You will always be my friend. You will want to laugh with me. And you will sometimes open your window... and your friends will be properly astonished to see you laughing as you look up at the sky!'
'What are you trying to say?'
'Where I live, everything is so small that I cannot show you where my star is to be found. But remember, what is essential is invisible to the eye.'
'...'
'In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing, when you look at the sky at night. My star will just be one of the stars, for you-- And so you will love to watch all the stars in the heavens... they will all be your friends.'
'... Yes, I know...'

Yuuri smiled sadly as she recited her line. Her smile was more ephemeral than the light of all the stars twinkling in the sky. --And thus the story came to a close. Natsuhiko and Yuuri closed the book and smiled at each other.

Man, that sure was interesting!
Yeah, we read all the way to the end!
But thanks to that, it's so dark outside now. I bet my Mom's gonna be angry at me.
...True. We better head home soon.

Yuuri spoke softly.

Should I walk you home, Yuuri?
N-no, I can walk home by myself.
Okay. Let's split here then, I guess.

Natsuhiko grinned as he spoke.

...Time soothes all sorrows. You will always be my friend.
?
When you want to laugh with me, open your window and come to the park. Nah, just teasin'.

Yuuri softly laughed at Natsuhiko's joke.

Thank you, Natsuhiko. Let's play again sometime.
Yeah!

--And with that exchange of words, the two of them parted ways. Natsuhiko looked back just once to see Yuuri's back fade into the twilight--

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

AT THE END OF AN UNEVENTFUL DAY: 09/12/2030, 22:00 - PART 2

(I see... so this is the book from back then, huh?)

He read this book many times back then, but he hadn't read it ever since he grew up. As he basked in nostalgia, he happened to look at Yuuri-- And before he had realized it, she had closed her eyes.

...Oh, asleep already?

With a wry smile on his face, Natsuhiko reshelved the book.

(... I wonder if Yuuri remembers what happened back then?)

Natsuhiko looked at her sleeping face as he wondered that.

Even as he looked at her in such a defenseless state, he harbored not a single improper thought. Natsuhiko was unable to see Yuuri as a mature-bodied woman. Even though he was a healthy high school boy, he had never felt any lust at all towards Yuuri.

(What I do feel... is a desire to protect her, I guess.)

And not just because they were raised almost like family. Perhaps it was because of the accident nine years ago. Or perhaps it was because of her personality. He didn't understand, but he didn't mind. And that was why they were able to live together without any problems whatsoever.

...Good night, Yuuri.

Natsuhiko whispered to Yuuri almost in the same way one would whisper to a sister. Obviously, there was no guarantee that these days would never end.

(Things have been changing since Salyu came... Our current way of living might change little by little too.)

Perhaps one day, Yuuri would finally be able to leave this house. Perhaps Mashiro would get a boyfriend and stop visiting, too. But change doesn't have to be immediate. As long as these days were to continue, Natsuhiko wanted to keep spending time like this.

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

A voice echoed forth in the dark room.

--Huh?

♪ BGM: Close to the Truth

Everything changes. These days won't continue forever. The nature of change is that by the time you notice it, it's already progressed considerably. That was the case even today. Your sentiment towards Salyu changed considerably in the span of one day, didn't it?

She spoke clearly and firmly-- as if her half-asleep mumbling had been an act. Natsuhiko felt a hint of fear to see Yuuri like that.

H-hey, Yuuri... What's been going on with you lately?
What do you mean?
I mean, you usually don't say things like that.

--And she'd said things like that every day these past few days.

(Are her ''symptoms'' getting worse...?)

But when she was with Salyu, Yuuri seemed like she was having fun. Natsuhlko had essentially no idea of what her mental state was like.

...What do you mean these days won't continue? Does something give you that impression?
No, nothing gives me that impression... it's just that it's only natural.

Yuuri hung her head as she spoke.

...And there are other things you will lose along with your peace. Which is exactly why you should treasure what you've got. Because they should be able to guide you, Hikorin...

With each quiet word Yuuri spoke, doubt rose and rose in Natsuhiko's heart.

Yuuri... what in the world do you...?

As Natsuhiko voiced that question, Yuuri merely pointed to his wristwatch silently.

The dial was cracked and it was stopped on 9/16 at 6:19.

(Again!? When did this watch break?)

Today should be September 12. So why was it stopped at September 16?

(No, wait... Is today really September 12...!?)

The moment Natsuhiko made that realization--

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Cyouni posted:

That would indeed explain it. On the plus side, it's not connected to any of the other ones so you don't really need it to collect the other friendship scenes.

As far as I know, you have to get all the friendship scenes in order, so since we missed her second scene we're done with her until the route is over and TheMcD goes back to get them.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

ALL OF THEM - SEPTEMBER 16: 09/16/2030, 06:49

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

(Where am I!?)

(C-calm down...! This is no time to space out! Why would Salyu kick down some rescue squad members!?)

Natsuhiko was horribly confused. But the answer to his question lied in what he had just been seeing.

(No, hold on...! Salyu's working to protect us. I should be able to trust her. In that case, the fact that Salyu kicked these guys down means-!?)

He then realized exactly who those people were.

♪ BGM: Pose the Question to this World

Huh!?
They're the ones who attacked us at that abandoned factory last night!
!

Rescue Worker 2: ...You'd have been better off not noticing that...!
...!
Rescue Worker 2: We should've put you through a little more pain back then... It was a mistake to show you mercy. This time, we're gonna shut you up for sure.

And with that, the man lunged towards the kids. But then Salyu stepped forward ever so slightly,

HA!!

Rescue Worker 2: Tch!!

The man shoulder rolled safely back to his feet and lunged at Salyu once more. As she readied to counter him, Salyu shouted.

Natsuhiko! Mashiro! Run!
Salyu!?
I'll get rid of him! The other one's fainted, so I can manage one-on-one combat!
Then let me help--!
No, Natsuhiko, you guys will only drag me down! I can't deal with a hostage situation if they get you!
!!
You guys go find an exit! If you find one, contact me through telepathy!
--...gh.

Hesitation wormed its way into Natsuhiko's mind. But Mashiro grabbed him by the arm and said,

Natsuhiko! Let's just do what Salyu says! We'd only get in her way!
Hikorin, Salyu will be okay by herself!

Mashiro and Yuuri were right. Natsuhiko shouted to shake off his frustration.

Salyu, it's a promise! We -will- get out of here-- together! We'll find an exit and wait for you, okay!?

And then he turned back and ran off with Mashiro and Yuuri.

In accordance with Mashiro's proposal, they headed through the passageway.

♪ BGM: Close to the Truth

(In any case, why did I remember the past again...!?)

Just a moment ago, he was recalling a detailed account of the events of September 12.

(Why does this keep happening...?)

There was something clearly strange about it. Was he really just recalling his memories? Suddenly, he remembered the words Salyu had said that day.

Depending on the circumstances, the brain will even distort reality.

--Natsuhiko was taken aback as he remembered those words.

(Don't tell me what I saw was another type of hallucination!?)

Just a few days ago, Natsuhiko was enjoying peaceful days with those around him. But now they were running for their lives. It was no exaggeration to say Natsuhiko regretted that fact. He probably wanted to return to those peaceful days. So perhaps he had run away into his memories as a means of escaping from reality?

(Would my brain just automatically do that on its own...?)

But even if that were the case, it wouldn't change reality at all. Natsuhiko glanced at his watch.

Every time his recollections would end, he'd catch sight of his watch. As if it were trying to pull him back to reality.

(... Is it my brain commanding me to face reality? Is the command to face reality conflicting with the instinct to run away from it?)

He had to face reality or they would almost surely die.

(No... I get the feeling that wouldn't be the end of it... Ever since I started recalling these memories, they always end in--)

Look, an emergency staircase!
!! Wait, I'll go check if it's safe first!

And with that, Natsuhiko entered the stairwell.

But as soon as he started to go up those stairs, he heard a sound from up above.

♪ BGM: Looming Crisis

Ah!

We can tell that this is Kazami, partly because of her voice, and partly because of the red armband. As a reminder, we have enough information to work out who's wearing which suit, and the colors on the armbands go as follows: Black is Watase, red is Kazami, green is Jun, yellow is Dojima, and blue is Hiyama.

When he looked up, he saw someone in a protection suit.

Another one of them?
(Crap, if he gets to Salyu--!)

Natsuhiko suddenly raised his voice.

Hey, you! Over here, over here!
...!?

The figure hesitated for a second before rushing towards the kids. The kids turned around and rushed down the stairs. They ran down all the way to the second basement floor and flew out of the stairwell.

The staircase leading to the surface was already enemy territory. They felt a presence chasing after them.

What now, Natsuhiko? Where can we run!?
The broadcast said there are staircases outside of Area 2 that are still okay! So let's head to Area 3! We should be able to escape from there!
B-but which way is Area 3!?
This way! I'll lead you!

Natsuhiko and Mashiro followed Yuuri towards Area 3.

The segment connecting the first and second basement levels was okay, but the segment leading up from there to the surface level had been blown up.

Dammit, here too!?
Natsuhiko, over there! We haven't looked at the stairs over there yet!
Yeah!

They started running again after Mashiro shouted. And thus they headed to the last staircase in Area 3.

(Please be safe...!)

Natsuhiko prayed as they opened the door to the stairwell.

Thank goodness, now we're in the clear--

Right as Mashiro rejoiced,

A blast of flames surged up before their very eyes.

Aaah!
Watch out, you two!

Natsuhiko covered the girls as they hid in the corner of the stairwell. They felt a wave of heat blazing over their heads.

The girls answered him with trembling voices.

I-I'm okay, but...
The staircase...!

♪ BGM: Abyss

As he turned to look, Natsuhiko saw the wreckage of the staircase following the explosion. Now they couldn't even go up to the 1st basement level from here. --And then, a broadcast rang out for the nth time that day.

All personnel in the facility, please evacuate immediately!
Area 5...!?

Natsuhiko groaned. They had left Salyu in Area 2. Running to Area 5 would put quite a distance between them.

Wh-what do we do? Should we head to Area 5?
No, in that case, I'd rather--

Before Natsuhiko could finish, Yuuri raised her voice.

!?
What is your duty!? There's something you need to do first, remember!?

Unlike her usual self, Yuuri was dead serious.

That's...
I thought I told you back on that day too. Hikorin, the people you should look out for are--

Yuuri's words out out at that moment. In the sudden silence, the sole sound of a ticking watch rang out.

(... Back on that day, huh. On that day when things got awkward between us all...)

Natsuhiko already knew... exactly what time and date his watch would display.

Well, the intrigue continues to grow. And thus, we reach the end of the chapter for September 12th, and will be moving on to our flashback of September 13th. But before that...

VOTING

So, another day in the books. We've learned a lot about Salyu, Mashiro continues to be the team mom, and Yuuri continues to be very mysterious. Now, it's time to update our Senses once more. We seem to have fallen off the tracks for Salyu's friendship scenes, but continue to be on track for Mashiro and Yuuri. One bad end lurks in the chapter for September 13th.

With that in mind, pick between Top, High, Middle, Low or Bottom for Natsuhiko, Yuuri, Mashiro and Salyu.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

TheMcD posted:

VOTING

So, another day in the books. We've learned a lot about Salyu, Mashiro continues to be the team mom, and Yuuri continues to be very mysterious. Now, it's time to update our Senses once more. We seem to have fallen off the tracks for Salyu's friendship scenes, but continue to be on track for Mashiro and Yuuri. One bad end lurks in the chapter for September 13th.

With that in mind, pick between Top, High, Middle, Low or Bottom for Natsuhiko, Yuuri, Mashiro and Salyu.

Since we're off the Salyu train and we've already passed a bad end for low Salyu favor, I think Mashiru/Yuuri-Top, Natsuhiko/Salyu-High is a good choice.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Mashiro - Top
Yuuri - High
Salyu - High
Natsuhiko - High

We've gotten to know Salyu a bit better, and she seems to just be borderline autistic and possibly raised in a very weird way, but not actively an untrustworthy person. Rather, having the inexplicable super waif-fu abilities, she seems like someone worth trusting. Still, since Natsuhiko hasn't known her long, it wouldn't make sense for him to 100% trust her.
Also, Yuuri's been acting hella weird. That alone would logically make Natsuhiko a bit wary, even given how long he's known her.
but, Mashiro is the best. there is absolutely no reason to ever not 100% trust Mashiro. :colbert:
and bad things tend to happen when the main character's level is set at Top, so obviously we can't do that.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Spatula City posted:

Mashiro - Top
Yuuri - High
Salyu - High
Natsuhiko - High

I vote this as well.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Mashiro - Top
Salyu - High
Yuuri - Neutral
Natsuhiko - Neutral

Always trust Mashiron.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Everyone bottom

They are all time-traveling ghost hallucinations and I don't like them.

Successful Student
Jan 29, 2009
Everyone bottom because this route hasn't had nearly enough hilarious demises.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
I like everyone now, and am glad that Natsuhiko does not get into any :japan: situations with Yuuri.

Send everyone to the top now, why not?

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Mashiro - Top
Salyu - High
Yuuri - High
Natsuhiko - Neutral

I'm tempted to vote bottom for Yuuri (since she said we could distrust her if we wanted to :v: ) but I want the friendship scenes more.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The Little Prince is a hosed-up book to like as a kid.

Don't get bit by snakes, kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Yuuri specifically said not to trust her at the same time that she was explaining that we needed to trust Salyu to avoid that BS game over.

Mashiro - Top
Salyu - Top
Natsuhiko - Middle Because He Seems Like A Bit Of A Weiner
Yuuri - Bottom

This game is getting some mileage out of that staircase picture yo.

• Locked thread