Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

oldpainless posted:

The acid in Alien is like the laser cannon in Predator where it kills everyone but only slightly inconveniences Arnold

The Aliens acid only glances on Hicks' face a bit and still tears it up. The bulk got on his armored vest, which he quickly ripped off, but not quickly enough to get some on him. He survived by the small relative amount that got on him, and the bulk of the acidic action happening on his vest. Compare it to Drake, who got a direct blast to the face and it melted pretty much immediately.

The Predator's plasma caster hits Arnold's weapon, and he gets some injuries from the shrapnel/blast back from that, if I recall.

Darko fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Schwarzwald posted:

One of the weirdest things about the Predator franchise is this assumption that all Predators are honor focused game hunters.
It's understandable that the fact that some Predators hunt humans might be the most relevant trait to us, a game species, but how did we go from that to "all Predators are hunters, all of the time?"
It's a Star Wars/Star Trek extraterrestrial species trope - sentient aliens fit into archetypes, which can be applied to every member of the species. It's generally lazy and at least the Predator "expanded universe" has learned from this and found ways to make them somewhat less homogeneous. So while hunting is a big part of their culture, it's not the only thing they do (although we rarely get glimpses of what they do other than hunting) and even then they don't all agree on what makes a good "hunt".

Darko posted:

The Predator's plasma caster hits Arnold's weapon, and he gets some injuries from the shrapnel/blast back from that, if I recall.
Yeah, it hits his rifle. To the movie's credit, it does an effective job of dialing Arnold back and not making him look like an insane super-warrior like he is in, say, 'Commando', 'Total Recall', or 'The Running Man'. In a stand-up fight, the Predator slaps Arnold around without a problem and is generally much more physically imposing than even he is, and that's saying something. Even when he and his team are going to town on the rebel camp earlier in the movie, the rest of his team is generally portrayed as being as super-capable as he is. He only beats the Predator by outsmarting it at its own game, and even then it comes down to dumb luck.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Arnold is still unrealistic super powerful action movie Arnold in the first half:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDztrw_0N8M

Which makes his grounding and emasculation in the second half more effective.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah "these guys are basically superheros and the ultimate badasses" was the entire point of the first half to make them being completely out of their depth against the Predator be more effective. Even by the late 80s just casting Arnold alone meant you were going in expecting that for the entire flick.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Thank god for the recent Arnold convo cuz I get to post this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDxn0Xfqkgw

Arnold is tremendously underrated. Just look at how different his characters from Commando (cold dead eyes), Total Recall (just a prick), and Kindergarden Cop (hilarious) are.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I hope Arnold and Glover are back in the new Predator movie being made, the shout out to Arnold in the latest Predators where the IDF lady describes Predator 1 is an awesome throwback.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016
Okay, so if Shaw was the one who put the warning message telling people to stay away from the crashed Engineer ship in Prometheus, why is the Nostromo having to decrypt it in the first Alien? Why would you encrypt a message warning people they needed to stay the gently caress away?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Love Crime posted:

Okay, so if Shaw was the one who put the warning message telling people to stay away from the crashed Engineer ship in Prometheus, why is the Nostromo having to decrypt it in the first Alien? Why would you encrypt a message warning people they needed to stay the gently caress away?

The planet from Prometheus isn't the same planet as Alien.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016

wyoming posted:

The planet from Prometheus isn't the same planet as Alien.

So it's two different planets, two different crashed Engineer ships, two different warning messages? :psyduck:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Love Crime posted:

So it's two different planets, two different crashed Engineer ships, two different warning messages? :psyduck:

I love the incredulity of this post because it makes me picture a scene where a character is like "Wait, someone on some other planet with a different ship might also leave a warning some day, better not."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
What I'm taking away from this, is that is you want to keep people away from something dangerous, advertising that you have something dangerous is counterproductive.

Presumably there are hundreds, if not thousands, of Engineer ships on other planets that have yet to be discovered because they had the good sense to keep quiet.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016

Neo Rasa posted:

I love the incredulity of this post because it makes me picture a scene where a character is like "Wait, someone on some other planet with a different ship might also leave a warning some day, better not."

It's more the coincidences of Terrans (or whatever they're called in Alien world) , who had never met this secretive race (from what I remember) and having both encounters involving a crashed Engineer ship with two of the exact same warning messages of "stay away".

Also if the warning message in Alien wasn't Shaw's how did they know its language after decrypting it to realize it was a warning?

Will I ever get a girlfriend?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Love Crime posted:

Better than the engineers plan to leave maps to their secret weapons bases.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

its cool ridley will make another two films to link them and im sure it will all save the alien canon and fill in the narrative plot holes in the original four films too

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

It's Ridley Scott's response to the Die Hard films. How can the same poo poo happen to the same guy twice?! The cold unfeeling universe, that's how.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I hope Ridley does four more films covering the 200 years between Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection. Just cold sci-fi movies with Alien in the title that to satisfy nerd canon must have no Aliens in them at all at any point because Dan Hedaya said Ripley made them extinct after Alien 3.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

I hope Ridley does four more films covering the 200 years between Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection. Just cold sci-fi movies with Alien in the title that to satisfy nerd canon must have no Aliens in them at all at any point because Dan Hedaya said Ripley made them extinct after Alien 3.
I've argued for years that Perez's throwaway line in Resurrection can (and should!) be creatively interpreted, and there's more than enough evidence in Resurrection that the characters have knowledge of what Aliens are - knowledge that they couldn't have gotten from what was available in the first three movies alone.

Then again I'm also a strong advocate of the idea that "continuity" and "canon" aren't synonyms, and that "official canon" isn't anywhere near as important as some fans seem to think it is.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

If the leaked ending of Alien: Covenant is correct and an egg (or more?) is snuck onto the colony ship with hundreds/thousands of colonists in stasis, it's going to be interesting to see if Ridley actually puts together a sequel where we literally see a huge black swarm of the things somewhere after the entire ship is presumably infected.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

alf_pogs posted:

its cool ridley will make another two films to link them and im sure it will all save the alien canon and fill in the narrative plot holes in the original four films too

I hope the continuity end sup being a mobius ring as drawn by Giger, a completely insane and senseless shape that drives those who try to understand it insane.

While normal people just enjoy the movies and don't give a poo poo about continuity.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I think that after Covenant James Cameron gets to have a shot and if they both gently caress up we declare the series dead forever.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Biomute posted:

I think that after Covenant James Cameron gets to have a shot and if they both gently caress up we declare the series dead forever.
Cameron is busy until the end of time with another four Avatar movies. Four. I don't get it; the first movie is 8 years old now and I can't fathom that many people actually care about the "franchise" (if you can call a single movie that).

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

david_a posted:

Cameron is busy until the end of time with another four Avatar movies. Four. I don't get it; the first movie is 8 years old now and I can't fathom that many people actually care about the "franchise" (if you can call a single movie that).

Cameron is like George Lucas, he makes what he wants to make.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

david_a posted:

Franchises are the poo poo right now. Marvel, DC, Star Wars, and now Alien and Avatar. Everything is going to be franchises.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Schwarzwald posted:

One of the weirdest things about the Predator franchise is this assumption that all Predators are honor focused game hunters.
It's understandable that the fact that some Predators hunt humans might be the most relevant trait to us, a game species, but how did we go from that to "all Predators are hunters, all of the time?"

In one of the Alien Vs Predators book series the female Predators run the society and just have the male Predators do the hunts just to get them out of the way. So the only Predators people see are REALLY into the hunt.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The books also give a very strong impression that like 99% of Predators humans have ever interacted with are the Predator equivalent of the cast of Duck Dynasty.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Actually the Predators that shot everyone with flying discs are just international space athletes.

SirDrone fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 23, 2017

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

david_a posted:

He's also busy revamping Terminator when the series rights relapse: http://www.contactmusic.com/james-cameron/news/james-cameron-terminator-rights-sequel_5544308

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Turning invisible seems a pretty unfair way to hunt if you ask me.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

oldpainless posted:

LOL. It's just an advanced take on Camo, man. It's unfair to sit in camo in the woods or in your jeep or poo poo with a high powered scope laser rifle to blow the head off a deer that has no clue what the gently caress but the only benefit is a quick death.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
They aren't called Hunting Blinds because they're easily spotted by wild animals

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

WELP

https://twitter.com/NeillBlomkamp/status/822685837418635264

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
No biggie, clears the way for Ridley to make more Alien movies until the end of time.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

GOOD.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

But my sad revisionist fan fiction dreams!! Alien franchise some how becoming a heavy handed south african accented metaphor that racism and or capitalism is bad.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

oldpainless posted:

It upends the idea that swole American superbros will plow through dinky Central American guerillas with their Superior Firepower and Technology, though.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'm pretty okay with this.
Having said that, I really liked some of the speculative concept art he'd come up with. The decaying Derelict in a massive lab was sweet, and the tech'd-up harnessed Aliens were pretty neat.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Gatts posted:

LOL. It's just an advanced take on Camo, man. It's unfair to sit in camo in the woods or in your jeep or poo poo with a high powered scope laser rifle to blow the head off a deer that has no clue what the gently caress but the only benefit is a quick death.

No one shoots deer in the head dummy

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Baronjutter posted:

But my sad revisionist fan fiction dreams!! Alien franchise some how becoming a heavy handed south african accented metaphor that racism and or capitalism is bad.

Yeah imagine Alien becoming a heavy handed methaphor that racism and capitalism is bad!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I'm always going to be a little said that he made Avatar instead of the Battle Angel Alita movie. Not just because Battle Angel was influenced by Terminator and Cameron was in turn influenced by Battle Angel (his TV series Dark Angel is basically a low budget "we could only afford to film in the near future" take on Battle Angel, even a lot of its establishing shots are taken from the comics), but because the setting of Battle Angel itself.

Like in Battle Angel basically from anywhere in the city it's set in you can see the massive space station/tower all the rich people live in along with various massive struts and cables and things that support it and connect it to earth. A big part of the comic is a roller derby/deathmatch sport with massively high loops characters rocket/jump all over and around while smashing each others' brains in. You can tell the 3D and CG technology he was making for Avatar was at first like tailor made to make a Battle Angel movie look amazing at first, and Battle Angel has plenty of visuals inherent not just to the scenery but to how its more nutso robots transform and move and stuff that a 3D movie of it could look legit stunning. I do wish Cameron would take all his mega-money he has now and just be like gently caress it I'm dropping $300 million on an R rated movie about cyborgs bloodily ripping each other apart with lighthearted adventures and noir-ish investigation stuff on the side and everyone's favorite instrument is a keytar. Maybe if he does do a new Terminator movie...

But I know that would never happen I remember even a few years before Avatar came out he was talking about how in his sick 3D CG Battle Angel movie they would have blue "robot fluid" instead of blood and human skin and stuff so that it could be PG-13. :(

Now it's being directed by Robert Rodriguez which could go either way depending on what story they go with but cast they have so far is pretty sick if this movie is actually really getting made now.

SirDrone posted:

Actually the Predators that shot everyone with flying discs are just international space athletes.

:aaa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAVf_jsBqJk

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

DeimosRising posted:

No one shoots deer in the head dummy

Oh yeah...the whole wall mount thing...whoops