Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Powaqoatse posted:

There's a similar thing about oranges

Most germanic languages call them some variation on "chinese apples"
And Western Europe's term comes from the Sanskrit word naranj, a produce of Arabic traders first bringing them from India. Which is odd, because it's "portugal" in Arabic.

Apparently, naranj is used in Arabic specifically for 'a bitter orange', like the oranges they use in curacao and other liqueurs. Then the Portuguese showed up later with the first oranges that didn't taste like rear end, so common oranges are now named after them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lol i posted that map collection earlier in this thread but apparently dutch messed me up & made think that other germanic languages were all about the china apples (oh poo poo it actually is there soz)

also forgot the poland <-> pomerania connection there

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Powaqoatse posted:

that is amazing

im gonna assume that russian guy really lilked queen and really did not like elton john, like "i only listen to straight music" type of guy?

I believe so. I think there was one bit where he described how, when Queen and Elton John performed together at the Ballet for Life in Paris in 1997, you could see the "visible hatred" in the eyes of John Deacon, Brian May and Roger Taylor whenever they looked at Mr Dwight.

The entire screed used to be online as a PDF but I haven't been able to find it. The first Google result for the author's name (M. H. Ahundova) is a link to me mentioning it in another SA thread three years ago! :v:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Wheat Loaf posted:

I believe so. I think there was one bit where he described how, when Queen and Elton John performed together at the Ballet for Life in Paris in 1997, you could see the "visible hatred" in the eyes of John Deacon, Brian May and Roger Taylor whenever they looked at Mr Dwight.

The entire screed used to be online as a PDF but I haven't been able to find it. The first Google result for the author's name (M. H. Ahundova) is a link to me mentioning it in another SA thread three years ago! :v:

hahaha wow

so weird to even use a late 90s thing as proof of anything queen/elton john related. thats like saying yeah i know for a fact that idk the rolling stones are massively in debt (p sure i saw mick jagger look very meanly at the drummer guy who has all the money at a 2002 concert)

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Safety Biscuits posted:

Regarding Phantom Time/New Chronology, the idea that people were multiplying and distorting an accurate history isn't, actually, impossible (although yes these two are insane and stupid.) One historian has concluded that Khmer chronicles written circa 1800 describe the time after the fall of Angkor, about 1430-1580, but it's basically totally fictional. The historians felt they had to write something, but didn't have any traditions about this period and were imitating Thai culture.

Chinese civilization has existed, by official decree, for five thousand years.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Powaqoatse posted:

holy

when you said "didnt show the americas" i didnt realize that it actually has Asia < ocean > Europe, no continent in between

Longitude is hard.

Amerigo Vespucci came up with the first method to determine one’s longitude not long after that globe was made. It was an important development, and, in my opinion, a good enough reason to name two continents after him.

Before that, the best you could do was ”Cipangu is <x> days of sailing from Beiping”. You have to piece together a lot of accounts, with unreliable records of winds and currents. That leaves you vulnerable to overestimating the size of landmasses.

Or underestimating them, but a blank hemisphere simply will not do.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 17:51 on Jan 21, 2017

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

for some reason i thought the greeks figured out both longitudes & latitudes.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Powaqoatse posted:

ya but also there are full wood-ring chronologies of like 3 types of trees back to like 20k years ago that match up with p much any historical source so

i guess those systems just ignore it?

I think you're saying that modern technology shows that premodern lists of kings and deeds are wrong, which is, uh, no poo poo, Sherlock? I'm not sure how useful dendrochronology would be in Cambodia anyway, I think the book I read mentioned that most of the wood had rotted away over the centuries. As for the pseudohistorians, if they can't lie about it or distort it they say it's inaccurate.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Safety Biscuits posted:

I think you're saying that modern technology shows that premodern lists of kings and deeds are wrong, which is, uh, no poo poo, Sherlock? I'm not sure how useful dendrochronology would be in Cambodia anyway, I think the book I read mentioned that most of the wood had rotted away over the centuries. As for the pseudohistorians, if they can't lie about it or distort it they say it's inaccurate.

im not saying that at all

im saying those weird revised chronologies from russia have a shitload of problems to fix before they can even attempt to match up with archaeological records (one of which being the combined dendrochronology of northern/dry trees).

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I know you can play Europa Universalis with randomized New World but is there a mod for a Columbus World which removes Americas and shortens the distance between Europe and Asia?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Powaqoatse posted:

im not saying that at all

im saying those weird revised chronologies from russia have a shitload of problems to fix before they can even attempt to match up with archaeological records (one of which being the combined dendrochronology of northern/dry trees).

They don't, though, because they're not history at all, just propaganda. Being accurate and verifiable would defeat the object of the exercise! :v:

E: I think you read my first post as "makes u think" where it was actually "Some people accidentally made up some history in the way Fomenko thinks early modern Europeans did, what a weird coincidence & historical fun fact".

Safety Biscuits has a new favorite as of 18:05 on Jan 21, 2017

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Powaqoatse posted:

for some reason i thought the greeks figured out both longitudes & latitudes.

They very well may have worked out the idea, but actually finding precise longitude at sea was basically impossible before marine chronometers.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Safety Biscuits posted:

They don't, though, because they're not history at all, just propaganda. Being accurate and verifiable would defeat the object of the exercise! :v:

E: I think you read my first post as "makes u think" where it was actually "Some people accidentally made up some history in the way Fomenko thinks early modern Europeans did, what a weird coincidence & historical fun fact".

haha poo poo yea sorry we're on the same page now

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

hogmartin posted:

They very well may have worked out the idea, but actually finding precise longitude at sea was basically impossible before marine chronometers.

yeah just the idea. there's the whole requirement of precise time keeping on top of that

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“There are minor problems with the conventional chronology, Q.E.D. Hadrian and Catherine that Great were the same guy” is the sort of argument that creationists and climate change deniers use.

It’s not enough to show minor problems with the conventional account. You also have to demonstrate that yours is at least as good in all other areas.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Powaqoatse posted:

haha poo poo yea sorry we're on the same page now

:hfive: No worries man, we're cool.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Chinese civilization has existed, by official decree, for five thousand years.

China and Korea are constantly trying to one-up each other over who has the oldest (and therefore best) civilisation. There's an insane Korean conspiracy theory saying Korea conquered half the world 9000 years ago, based mainly on the fact that some random place names around the world sound vaguely like the made-up names in a Korean fairy tale.

From the A/T history thread:

Grand Fromage posted:

All the colored areas are places that crazy Koreans claim were part of the ancient Korean empire, which was founded in 7197 BCE and ruled much of the world until 3898 BCE. Conveniently, this is all before writing was invented (by Koreans). The reasoning is based on an ancient book of fairy tales and legends, the Samguk Yusa. This is not to be confused with the Samguk Sagi, which is more or less a historical work.

The crazy people look at various names and spelling errors in the Samguk Yusa and then look for a civilization whose name vaguely resembles those names, and claims that therefore those were Korean territories. For example, there is a place in the Samguk Yusa called Sumiliguk (guk means country). Sumili sounds kind of like Sumer if you're Korean, therefore Sumer was a Korean nation. All those colored areas are places that sound like something mentioned in the Samguk Yusa.

For Somerset, they're calling it Wessex and say Wessex sounds like Usanguk (the Korean says Wessex -> Wesan -> Usan as its explanation), which was one of those things mentioned in the legends. Madagascar = Madaguk, Egypt is Korean because the Sphinx looks kind of like one of those guardian statues that are in front of temples over here, Inca sounds like Ingaguk. They also believe Native Americans were Koreans who migrated over. The big Turkey et al group is called West Goguryeo; Goguryeo was an actual real Korean kingdom several thousand years after this time.

There is absolutely no evidence offered for any of this other than the names sound kind of similar to things mentioned in a fairy tale that also explains how the first Koreans hatched from eggs left by god on Baekdusan. Everything else is built on this foundation of nothing.

Sweevo has a new favorite as of 19:05 on Jan 21, 2017

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sweevo posted:

China and Korea are constantly trying to one-up each other over who has the oldest (and therefore best) civilisation. There's an insane Korean conspiracy theory saying Korea conquered half the world 9000 years ago, based mainly on the fact that some random place names around the world sound vaguely like the made-up names in a Korean fairy tale.

poo poo, marduk is mesopotamian tho. that definitely means that korea is the same as iraq

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Powaqoatse posted:

whats that lil foot tho

is that my new zeland righ thre?

Thats italy.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Phyzzle posted:

And Western Europe's term comes from the Sanskrit word naranj, a produce of Arabic traders first bringing them from India. Which is odd, because it's "portugal" in Arabic.

Apparently, naranj is used in Arabic specifically for 'a bitter orange', like the oranges they use in curacao and other liqueurs. Then the Portuguese showed up later with the first oranges that didn't taste like rear end, so common oranges are now named after them.

If it looks somewhat like an orange but tastes bitter, it's a grapefruit.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When the first expansion to Age of Empires II came out, the game designers wanted to include Texas as one of the new "real world" maps you could use because that's where they were based. However, all of the other real world maps had descriptions in the selection menu which mentioned some famous medieval or Renaissance military event which took place there, which they didn't have for Texas. Their solution was to invent one, so the description for the Texas map said "Relive the classic Mayan and Korean skirmish over the Lone Star state!" and for years I was convinced it was something that really happened. :D

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Wheat Loaf posted:

When the first expansion to Age of Empires II came out, the game designers wanted to include Texas as one of the new "real world" maps you could use because that's where they were based. However, all of the other real world maps had descriptions in the selection menu which mentioned some famous medieval or Renaissance military event which took place there, which they didn't have for Texas. Their solution was to invent one, so the description for the Texas map said "Relive the classic Mayan and Korean skirmish over the Lone Star state!" and for years I was convinced it was something that really happened. :D

An often overlooked subject in Texas History classes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

funmanguy posted:

An often overlooked subject in Texas History classes.

Did all books have that little blurb across the top in the 60s and 70s or just greasy-looking mass market paperbacks?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Speaking of languages, Mbabaram is an extinct Australian aboriginal language. During 20th century study of the language, Robert Dixon asked what the word for "dog" is in Mbabaram.

It's "dog."

There's no evidence that the tribes who spoke Mbabaram had any connection with Europeans beforehand. By complete coincidence, they had independently chosen the exact same word as another language.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Powaqoatse posted:

lol i posted that map collection earlier in this thread but apparently dutch messed me up & made think that other germanic languages were all about the china apples (oh poo poo it actually is there soz)

also forgot the poland <-> pomerania connection there

Polish etymology comes from pomo + arancia, so again, apples

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Sweevo posted:

Bitch please

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

canis minor posted:

Polish etymology comes from pomo + arancia, so again, apples

We also got that word in German (Pomeranze), except that it only refers to the bitter orange. The orange is “Orange“ too (except in the moon language of the northerners where it's “Apfelsine“)

fake edit: and I'm not sure about that but I'm pretty sure I only know “Pomeranze“ from written sources, so maybe it's more of a northern thing too, perhaps even in connection to Slavic influence? Etymology is complicated and I love it

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Wouldn't there be like absurd amounts of materials left over from some huge ancient hyper war?

I love the concept of continent spanning empires but goddamn come on guys it just didn't happen like that

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Safety Biscuits posted:

Regarding Phantom Time/New Chronology, the idea that people were multiplying and distorting an accurate history isn't, actually, impossible (although yes these two are insane and stupid.) One historian has concluded that Khmer chronicles written circa 1800 describe the time after the fall of Angkor, about 1430-1580, but it's basically totally fictional. The historians felt they had to write something, but didn't have any traditions about this period and were imitating Thai culture.

There's also the case of Pope John XX - to wit, there wasn't one, even though there's a Pope John XXI. Basically, medieval records listed Pope John XIV twice, listing both the period he was in power and the period of his reign he spent imprisoned by one of his rivals. A few centuries later, people got confused, thought the second listing was referring to another Pope John, and so Pope John XXI skipped XX to 'correct' the numbering.

There's also the case of would-be Pope Stephen II, who died three days after being elected, before he could be officially consecrated. It's thus an issue of debate as to whether he should be counted as a Pope, and there's still a lack of consensus over the numbering of later Stephens.

It's pretty easy for little errors to take root in official histories over time, especially in eras with poor or inconsistent records.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_John_(numbering)

The most surprising thing about this is that they went fourteen Pope Johns before an antipope hosed everything up.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I think it's been mentioned before in the thread, but the ordinals (those numbers that designate the order of monarchs with the same name) of Swedish monarchs are messed up since they follow a fabricated historical record. The current king is Carl XVI, but there's only been ten Carls on the throne.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

verbal enema posted:

Wouldn't there be like absurd amounts of materials left over from some huge ancient hyper war?

I love the concept of continent spanning empires but goddamn come on guys it just didn't happen like that

The hyper war timeline is a joke building on that infamous image :ssh:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

System Metternich posted:

I'm the incredibly mega super well defined y axis

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The Forgotten History of the Finno-Korean Hyperwar
By Han Myung-soo

Chapter 1: A History in Perspective

History as it is taught today covers what are believed to be the most
influential and world-changing events that have ever taken place. The
French Revolution, the Second world war, the independence of the United
States; various great wars, social policies, and catastrophes that have
molded each and every society that we live in today.

But there is one war that is not taught about in schools. Two great empires
that have been forever lost due to the passage of time, human meddling,
and simple bad luck. This book hopes to cover, catalog, and detail
every facet of the greatest conflict to have ever taken place on our planet;
the Finno-Korean Hyper War.

The hyper war fought between the Finnish and Hwan empires brought about change
that readers very often find difficult to believe. It is easy for us to think
of the annihilation of a people when we are taught of the holocaust, or of the
more successful battles between the Spanish Conquistadors and the Aztec empire.
The difference between the Hwans and the Aztecs, though, is that we still remember
the Aztecs. During and after the fall of the Hwan-guk, the Finnish empire set its
sights on the complete destruction of any and all policies, relics, and other
evidence that the Hwan empire had even existed at all. The bloodthirst of Hernando
Cortez pales miserably in the face of the destruction campaign wrought by the use
of the Finnish Empire's ultimate weapons of destruction.

What the reader must understand is that the level at which the Finno-Korean hyper war
changed and shaped the present day is unimaginably great. We are still discovering
various elements of today's society that were left as mere imprints from the existence
of the great empires and their various allies and enemies. Everything from governments to
mere social interaction comes from our forefathers of a forgotten time. Would you
believe that modern Finnish social etiquette is nothing more than the result of an
extremely powerful biological weapon used against their ancestors by the Hwans? Most
fall into doubt and suspicion long before they begin to believe the truth.

So I hope you, the reader, are able to adequately let go of your perception and beliefs
of the modern world, in order to fully understand these greatest of empires. I hope you,
the reader, are among those who fail to accept the reality of this war due to
preconceived notions of history and its evolution. I hope you are ready to learn of the
greatest war to ever shape our every way of life.

Chapter 2

Carbon dioxide has a new favorite as of 10:56 on Jan 22, 2017

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

System Metternich posted:

No I get that it's just I'm confused that people do think there were these immense empires well OK I'm not but damnit Korea you did not

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Carbon dioxide posted:

By Han Myung-soo

The difference between the Hwans and the Aztecs, though, is that we still remember
the Aztecs. During and after the fall of the Hwan-guk, the Finnish empire set its
evidence that the Hwan empire had even existed at all. The bloodthirst of Hernando
Cortez pales miserably in the face of the destruction campaign wrought by the use

What the reader must understand is that the level at which the Finno-Korean hyper war
changed and shaped the present day is unimaginably great. We are still discovering
various elements of today's society that were left as mere imprints from the existence
of the great empires and their various allies and enemies. Everything from governments to
mere social interaction comes from our forefathers of a forgotten time. Would you
believe that modern Finnish social etiquette is nothing more than the result of an
extremely powerful biological weapon used against their ancestors by the Hwans? Most

So I hope you, the reader, are able to adequately let go of your perception and beliefs
of the modern world, in order to fully understand these greatest of empires. I hope you,
preconceived notions of history and its evolution. I hope you are ready to learn of the

Chapter 2

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

By Han Myung-soo

Chapter 2

I would read that book. Also, the War on Autism is obviously not going too well :v:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

These mentions of the Pope sent me on a Wikipedia spiral. It's now almost five am and I'm going to bed having watched a lot of clips of The Young Pope.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

These mentions of the Pope sent me on a Wikipedia spiral. It's now almost five am and I'm going to bed having watched a lot of clips of The Young Pope.

In the 17th century the highwayman Dick Dudley bought a merkin and sold it to the pope claiming it a piece of St Peter’s beard. Dudley was paid 100 ducats for the merkin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
I like the implication that we all know what a "hyper war" even is.