Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Imperialist Dog posted:

It's now 12:30 and no lunch yet. Apparently wife and mother-in-law agreed that they would have stir-fried niangao (new year rice cakes) which takes ten minutes, but later said because wife wasn't "enthusiastic enough" she decided to do the usual 5 dishes Chinese meal, so she's still chopping vegetables. It has now been almost three hours since I initially tried taking the kids out.

Ok now it's almost 1pm, the food came out and we ate. As we finished and I got the kids' stuff ready like heavy winter coats ("But it's blazing sun out and the kids are going to run around the playground, we don't need it." "It's winter."), my wife reminded me that Kid 1 has not made a birthday card for the party this afternoon. So the whole morning when Kid 1 was playing around, doing math exercises etc while wife was watching Chinese comedy talk shows on the computer, it never occurred to her that we should do necessary things first and fun but unnecessary things second.

Truly I live in the most Chinese of households!

Did you know China has four seasons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sorry, this is China. The correct solution is Mistress.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
This woman is a computer programmer...

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
My legs are literally itching but if I go meet up Simplefish I will be "always leaving the kids for me (wife) to deal with". Last week, because I wanted to go to music practice on Thursday night after work, she sighed and said "You know, sometimes I really feel like a single mother." Yeah, a single mother who doesn't work, has a maid to feed the kids in the morning and pick them up from school , and has a husband who signs over most of his salary while she goes on Taobao ...

Anyway I finished lunch and took my stuff into the kitchen where grandmother is now washing the dishes. I tell her to go and eat, I'll wash the dishes. She says no, I should go eat more. I tell her I am done, and show my empty bowl. She says because I'm done, I should go rest. I have been doing nothing all drat day, obviously I need to rest more.

It's quarter after one. Nearly four hours have passed since I tried to get the kids to play outside.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Haier posted:

lol

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Imperialist Dog posted:

My legs are literally itching but if I go meet up Simplefish I will be "always leaving the kids for me (wife) to deal with". Last week, because I wanted to go to music practice on Thursday night after work, she sighed and said "You know, sometimes I really feel like a single mother." Yeah, a single mother who doesn't work, has a maid to feed the kids in the morning and pick them up from school , and has a husband who signs over most of his salary while she goes on Taobao ...

Anyway I finished lunch and took my stuff into the kitchen where grandmother is now washing the dishes. I tell her to go and eat, I'll wash the dishes. She says no, I should go eat more. I tell her I am done, and show my empty bowl. She says because I'm done, I should go rest. I have been doing nothing all drat day, obviously I need to rest more.

It's quarter after one. Nearly four hours have passed since I tried to get the kids to play outside.

REAL TALK:

Last night I was listening to Beyond the Darkness (Darkness Radio is no more, but they have a new show that's basically the same and still on their app, and it's still free and way better than C2C George Noory's wack show).
Anyway, the show was about Black-Eyed Children, and how they keep showing up and demanding to be let into people's homes or vehicles. They talked about how demons and other bad creatures have a system like this where they must first gain approval and then they will gently caress you up or feed off of your fear for their psychic something or other.

So now I am scared that these people on Tantan and Wechat might be succubi that are trying to gain access to my house and life. Since I am foreign, I might not be able to tell the difference between a local and a demon so easily, because the specific Human Chinese characteristics will be completely unknown to me and lost in translation because foreigners don't understand China. They might use their demonic powers to trap me and make me buy them a house and car, and threaten me with having a baby. All of my resources, time, and energy will be stolen away from me while under their spell, and I will convince myself this is what happiness is. It is an absolutely terrifying thought, and I wonder how many "women" I have met here are really just demons in disguise. The reptilians have obviously taken over this country at least 5000 years ago, to account for the cultural insanity here.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Haier posted:

REAL TALK:

Last night I was listening to Beyond the Darkness (Darkness Radio is no more, but they have a new show that's basically the same and still on their app, and it's still free and way better than C2C George Noory's wack show).
Anyway, the show was about Black-Eyed Children, and how they keep showing up and demanding to be let into people's homes or vehicles. They talked about how demons and other bad creatures have a system like this where they must first gain approval and then they will gently caress you up or feed off of your fear for their psychic something or other.

So now I am scared that these people on Tantan and Wechat might be succubi that are trying to gain access to my house and life. Since I am foreign, I might not be able to tell the difference between a local and a demon so easily, because the specific Human Chinese characteristics will be completely unknown to me and lost in translation because foreigners don't understand China. They might use their demonic powers to trap me and make me buy them a house and car, and threaten me with having a baby. All of my resources, time, and energy will be stolen away from me while under their spell, and I will convince myself this is what happiness is. It is an absolutely terrifying thought, and I wonder how many "women" I have met here are really just demons in disguise. The reptilians have obviously taken over this country at least 5000 years ago, to account for the cultural insanity here.

If I were you I'd be more worried about the It Follows creature, especially given that It walks around in the same general manner as everyone else over there.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Haier posted:

This makes me wonder how many programmers don't speak any English and only know IF, FOR, WHILE, etc. as logical operators

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
Just before we are about to go out, grandmother decides the children need to change clothes again! Doing this made Kid1 upset. So now wife and grandmother say "you see, he is tired, he should stay home and rest". I ignore them, put shoes on the crying child, drag both kids out.

Five seconds after seeing the playground they are running around happily.

This happens EVERY drat TIME I try to use my weekend day time to get the kids out to enjoy outdoor activities.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Hey Haier,

Remember when you said you were going to try and get banned from SA after New Years and also leave China? I think both of those things would be smart decisions and good for healthy.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Hey Haier,

Remember when you said you were going to try and get banned from SA after New Years and also leave China? I think both of those things would be smart decisions and good for healthy.
Illuminati cuck spotted. I just got redpilled on the Chinese reptilian agenda and now people are calling for a ban. loving shills.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Haier, you've lost it dude.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Please raise your kids right

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Children are the future

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Imperialist Dog posted:

Just before we are about to go out, grandmother decides the children need to change clothes again! Doing this made Kid1 upset. So now wife and grandmother say "you see, he is tired, he should stay home and rest". I ignore them, put shoes on the crying child, drag both kids out.

Five seconds after seeing the playground they are running around happily.

This happens EVERY drat TIME I try to use my weekend day time to get the kids out to enjoy outdoor activities.

Could you have not married into a non-crazy family?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

Could you have not married into a non-crazy family?

Fatwife or FOB Asian: these are your goon options sir

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Sheep-Goats posted:

can i pick the fat asian?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

big time bisexual posted:

Yes of course

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
It's Spring Festival and I haven't seen one "800 million people stranded and waiting for trains that are 10,000 hours late" photos and I am extremely disappointed.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I had a pretty serious relationship with a really nice chinese lady but I realized that as nice as she was and as much as we got along there was just way too much cultural baggage and that I'm not just marrying her, I'm marrying into her family and it would be expected for them to move in with us one day or something, plus all the deeply ingrained and unquestionable superstition and "we chinese" poo poo . Nope. She made it clear she wanted to uphold all her conservative chinese values and traditions and a lot of outright lovely falsehoods that could not be questioned because "we chinese believe..." and there was no room for logic or discussion.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

\
To be honest, when you marry and have kids you are going to encounter a lot of stuff about your partner that you did not realise was there.

So I'm finally out on the playground now. Everyone is hiding in the shade, and the little kids are running around wearing long sleeve sweaters and jackets. The mothers are following them around wiping the sweat from the backs of their necks. I have the kids' winter coats in my backpack, because I knew that the first thing my wife would say when I tried to take them out without jackets was as to their location. I want to go back upstairs and grab my wide brimmed hat and change into shorts, but my wife says she's too busy. We're about 100m away from the lobby of our tower block. I could take the kids and go back but it was such a goddamn effort to get them out.

Across the road, this woman has been hiding from the sun since we got here ...

http://i.imgur.com/MYnoO55.jpg

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

They usually have the hottest girls in China. It's pretty hilarious to see some woman who's an easy "9" or better meet her hubby in the lobby of an upscale Chinese mall, as they (9 time out of ten) are the typical "shapeless, doughy guy with a buzzcut".

There was a sextape that made the rounds on the Chinese internet a few years back, and all of the netizens were super salty because the guy was your typical "official's son" with his trophy wife. It was basically him laying on his back smoking a cigarette while his wife does all the work while wearing a less-than-genuine smile.

:nws: Ideal catch for an ambitious Chinese gal (warning: cigarette lighter) :nws:

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
remember when this winner had his sextape leaked a few years ago?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Looks like one of those things in the baths in Spirited Away.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I'd say it oozed out.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Sheep-Goats posted:

Russian bride is also on the tab, but I'm quite sure that's the nuclear option in terms of crazy and unhinged.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Imperialist Dog posted:

constant repeated bitching

totally not selling the hk thing, dude

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

\
It's just because the mainland mother in law is down. She's a dear, really, but the whole household transforms to Chinar Lite when they're down.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Imperialist Dog posted:

It's just because the mainland mother in law is down. She's a dear, really, but the whole household transforms to Chinar Lite when they're down.

you are for real like so whipped despite your hairy arms and impressive mustache

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

\
Did you not figure out the compensation lol

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

no

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Haier posted:

REAL TALK:

I got home once from a night of drinking and freaked the gently caress out because I thought the Chinese police had replaced my door handle with a different one that looked almost the same, and had been in my apartment going through my poo poo or something.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

\
Haier are you OK?

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

quote:

China loves the sense of order and control. One party rule. No gray areas. A managed economy. Censorship. Subservience. Through this prism, the United States will never make sense. Our cultural system is based on independence, opportunity, private ownership, free markets, and limited government. China is measured, while America is like the Wild West of boom or bust. Therefore, Yin Hao should buy a plane ticket and travel to the US if he wishes to understand America. Similarly, Americans would benefit by visiting China (as China is vast, multi-cultural, and very different from the US).

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Source your quotes

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Imperialist Dog posted:

Haier are you OK?

Haier seems fine what am i missing

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

JaucheCharly posted:

Source your quotes

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.83a47598959a

Comments section, of course.

Did you know America is not diverse?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

kimcicle posted:

Bike sharing with Chinese characteristics:

You would expect there to be some ingrained sense of etiquette and collective responsibility as a result of the high urban densities they've had for centuries, but time and time again you see this sort of short-sighted selfishness.

Is it a result of the Cultural Revolution, Great Leap Forward and communism in general completely destroying civil society and eroding social capital? Seems like the other Chinas are a lot better in this regard.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

You would expect there to be some ingrained sense of etiquette and collective responsibility as a result of the high urban densities they've had for centuries, but time and time again you see this sort of short-sighted selfishness.

Is it a result of the Cultural Revolution, Great Leap Forward and communism in general completely destroying civil society and eroding social capital? Seems like the other Chinas are a lot better in this regard.

Umm this happens in the unnamed country too you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
the lack of communal ethos in modern mainland china is staggering and before i am called a racist please read "a sociology of modern china" by jean-louis rocca, tia

(if you don't have time to read the entire thing just check out chapter 4, "a society of individuals in a time of reform")

• Locked thread