Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

White Coke posted:

I just want to see some co-op.
The co-op is local only and I have no friends :( at least no friends who can Gungeon.

White Coke posted:

Got this game recently because of the LP and the first time I died was because I misjudged the distance across a pit and fell to my death. In a secret room no less.

And is it possible for enemies you fight in the past to be jammed?

I don't think so, that'd be awful rude. I'm pretty sure that when you enter the past it sort of wipes out your status effects, you always have three hearts, your starting passive, two blanks, and that's it.

The Supply Drop should be adding pasts for ~secret characters~ which could be neat! I'm interested to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

FAT BATMAN posted:

All these challenges are really bad, except the overcursed one. But since your chances of running into any opportunity to curse yourself appear to be random, how about we see a run where you just don't get hit by any bosses? I don't like all these suggestions for challenges that would limit his ability to show off all the items in the game, which I find fascinating.

Actually, once you kill the past with a character there's a guaranteed option to get high curse on any future runs with that character, so it's not as random as it could be.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Just popping in to lend my support and mention I loving love the music in this game and I keep thinking "yeeeeeaaaaah enter the gungeeeeon" at work.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
I think a curse run would be most interesting to watch

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 1 minute!

senrath posted:

Actually, once you kill the past with a character there's a guaranteed option to get high curse on any future runs with that character, so it's not as random as it could be.

One is enough? I found it after I killed all the pasts, but didn't try it in the meantime. Also I don't mean just using that, I mean using that and then pushing the curse higher. :v:

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
For gee whiz, i plan on doing a normal "full run", and also doing a cursed run. If I happen to hit 10 curse over the course of the cursed run, well...I'll try and deal with it! I've done one successful cursed run but I've had a lot of failures so it's totally an option. Never done it with 10, but I'll take it as it comes. I will also consider "overcursed" as a challenge run and probably fail, but I'm liking the use a gun until it runs out of ammo. It'll be good!

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Is an "all-secret areas" run possible? The first one obviously needs 2 keys, not sure about the rest of course.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Bellmaker posted:

Is an "all-secret areas" run possible? The first one obviously needs 2 keys, not sure about the rest of course.

It's totally possible! The second secret area is reliant on reaching the first secret area. I will probably try and show it off in the next video, and probably fail because it's actually really hard to reach the second secret area for various reasons.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 1 minute!

dscruffy1 posted:

It's totally possible! The second secret area is reliant on reaching the first secret area. I will probably try and show it off in the next video, and probably fail because it's actually really hard to reach the second secret area for various reasons.

At least you are good at the game, I only made it there because I lucked out and got really good dungeon layout after many runs.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

dscruffy1 posted:

The co-op is local only and I have no friends :( at least no friends who can Gungeon.

Oh, I didn't mean co-op with another person. Where'd the challenge in that be?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

How feasible would a 'no Dodge Roll' challenge be? Outside of Dragun, that is.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I really like the challenge mentioned on the last page. When you find a new gun, you need to use it exclusively until it runs out of ammo or you find another weapon.

If you find ammo you can use it on whatever you want, and there are no restrictions for using other guns after you've depleted the ammo of your most recent find

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

That and the shop gun run sound like fun challenges. Maybe the "no chest left behind" where you have to open every chest no matter what like someone mentioned.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 1 minute!

Samuel Clemens posted:

How feasible would a 'no Dodge Roll' challenge be? Outside of Dragun, that is.

At some points you literally cannot progress without dodge roll, pillars have a pattern you cannot evade and some rooms you cannot clear out without dodge rolling over pits, so...

No dodge roll outside of bosses or unless neccessary might be possible though, I did something very similar today (there is an item that drops from your inventory if you dodge roll and I was afraid Id leave it behind otherwise).

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Xarn posted:

One is enough? I found it after I killed all the pasts, but didn't try it in the meantime. Also I don't mean just using that, I mean using that and then pushing the curse higher. :v:

As far as I'm aware it starts appearing for any character you have killed the past for, yeah. You don't have to kill all of them to start using it. And yeah, I'm aware of what you want him to show off, it's just that it's pretty likely you'll come across at least one other curse up on a run (any curse past that doesn't really make things any more interesting).

Xarn posted:

At some points you literally cannot progress without dodge roll

Speaking of, does anyone know if the Gunsling King can still give a "don't dodge roll" challenge on one of those rooms?

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
"Use your most recent gun until it runs out of ammo" runs into the trap of stuff like having the pitchfork equipped when running into a fire enemy. Same for poison vs. unpoisonable. Should there be an exception made in those circumstances, or should he have to run the gun dry to use another one? If the latter, certain guns just become liabilities when they wouldn't otherwise be.

E: For that matter, what about bosses? Would he be obliged to empty out a t-shirt cannon against a boss before he can properly try to kill it?

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 23, 2017

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Felinoid posted:

"Use your most recent gun until it runs out of ammo" runs into the trap of stuff like having the pitchfork equipped when running into a fire enemy. Same for poison vs. unpoisonable. Should there be an exception made in those circumstances, or should he have to run the gun dry to use another one? If the latter, certain guns just become liabilities when they wouldn't otherwise be.

E: For that matter, what about bosses? Would be be obliged to empty out a t-shirt cannon against a boss before he can properly try to kill it?

I'd think that switching to a different gun for those enemies--and only those enemies, not any others in the room with them is an acceptable exception.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Just wait for someone to port over the random weapon switch mode from Dark Souls. :v:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Incidentally, I feel that I need to show Enter the Gungeon's extremely adorable and awesome launch trailer. The grenade gundead jumping on the grenade still makes me chuckle. :allears:

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Samuel Clemens posted:

Just wait for someone to port over the random weapon switch mode from Dark Souls. :v:

*cough*

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

ManlyGrunting posted:

Incidentally, I feel that I need to show Enter the Gungeon's extremely adorable and awesome launch trailer. The grenade gundead jumping on the grenade still makes me chuckle. :allears:
Man, I can even tell that the convict is a lady in that one

I honestly thought that the in game one was kept deliberately ambiguous but apparently its just me being bad at grokking the style

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Alright, I hate to admit it, but after playing a bit longer I actually like this game and think it's good. Maybe the drop rate has been adjusted upward from when it first launched? And I think the beta content helps.

Just got my first victory against the dragun after who-knows-how-many deaths, probably at least 40-50. Granted, I sort of got carried by (don't know if these have show up yet, I'm not caught up on the videos)the BFG and the betrayer's gun.

So, thanks scruffy. You made me enjoy this game after... however long it's been since it was released of not.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Trick Question posted:

Alright, I hate to admit it, but after playing a bit longer I actually like this game and think it's good. Maybe the drop rate has been adjusted upward from when it first launched? And I think the beta content helps.

Just got my first victory against the dragun after who-knows-how-many deaths, probably at least 40-50. Granted, I sort of got carried by (don't know if these have show up yet, I'm not caught up on the videos)the BFG and the betrayer's gun.

So, thanks scruffy. You made me enjoy this game after... however long it's been since it was released of not.

So, when you clear a room, there is a percentage chance for a reward. This reward chance starts equal to 1% + Coolness - Curse, and goes up every time you clear a room without getting a reward, and resets back down to the minimum every time you get your reward. You can get pretty much any pickup this way - health, ammo, a key, extra casings, even hegemony credits.

There is a second percentage chance for a reward after every room, however, that is a chance for an ammo drop, independent of the first reward. It's possible to get a normal reward and an ammo drop from a single room, or even two ammo drops from the same room. However, on release, the game checked the player's currently equipped weapon when the room was cleared - if the player was equipped with a weapon that had infinite ammo, the special ammo-only reward chance was set to 0%, meaning that if the player had their starter weapon equipped when the last enemy in the room died, they would never even get the chance at a secondary roll for ammo.

This behavior is no longer in the game, and is the single most important change since release, as it means you aren't punished for switching to your starter pistol to finish rooms off and save ammo.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
You know, if you need some challenges for a future video, I'm sure you'll get a few from trying to do some of the achievements. Because there certainly are some odd ones.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
So I picked this game up today after giving up on it last summer.

I still can't get past the fourth chamber... :negative:

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Oh poo poo! Everyone get hype as gently caress cause the Supply Drop is actually coming out Thursday!

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

So I picked this game up today after giving up on it last summer.

Chalk me up as another player who started playing this again thanks to this LP, went from never having cleared the third chamber to finally killing the High Dragun.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

How about a speed run? Or something in between, such as: if you find the boss door, you have to go fight it immediately and then leave the level without backtracking or exploring any further.

Dominicius
Dec 3, 2011
Here is my challenge is this: Every time you pick up an item you must pause the game, open the Ammonomicron and read its description out loud. The same goes for beating bosses and the first time you kill an enemy belonging to one type.

Yea I know it's not a real challenge but seeing you completely ignoring the Ammonomicron makes me sad.

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015
I just started watching and I am learning new stuff already. Like how you can check for secret rooms or the shop not dropping keys if you already collected one.

I just transitioned back to playing with keyboard after trying to do it with the controller for a while. The controller does allow for much smoother evading/dodging but the aiming is not as reliable, especially with my steam controller.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Dominicius posted:

Here is my challenge is this: Every time you pick up an item you must pause the game, open the Ammonomicron and read its description out loud. The same goes for beating bosses and the first time you kill an enemy belonging to one type.

Yea I know it's not a real challenge but seeing you completely ignoring the Ammonomicron makes me sad.

This appeals to me for some strange reason.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

Tendronai posted:

Chalk me up as another player who started playing this again thanks to this LP, went from never having cleared the third chamber to finally killing the High Dragun.

:argh:

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Tendronai posted:

Same here. Took about 90 deaths but I managed to clear all 4 pasts. Sheesh

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Dominicius posted:

I've been meaning to put all the stuff I unlock in the second post!

I've just been busy. I'll think up something. Or get around to it.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

If people are thinking about playing along, Enter the Gungeon is currently 50% off at the Humble store

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
I dunno if it's been mentioned, but if you look close, you can tell when a wall hides a secret without shooting it. A secret wall is just a little bluer than its fellows.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

Lazy Bear posted:

I dunno if it's been mentioned, but if you look close, you can tell when a wall hides a secret without shooting it. A secret wall is just a little bluer than its fellows.

Lmao if your testosteron is so low you can see this colour difference.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Buller posted:

Lmao if your testosteron is so low you can see this colour difference.

???

??!?!??!!???!????

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Samovar posted:

???

??!?!??!!???!????

Females have better color discrimination, especially in the blue ranges.

I personally blame the bloodshot eyes of males. The red is tinting the vision, making blues harder to see.

No, I did not make this post just to snipe the word "bloodshot" into the thread.

I'll see myself out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I've never heard that. Is there a paper that discusses that?

• Locked thread