Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
John Wetton just got married, still fighting off cancer and sepsis. Best wishes to both of them, John's looking a bit rough. :/

https://twitter.com/arkangel2605/status/803988408855130113

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Wow, I would never have recognized him. :(

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
jesus, poor guy. i didn't know he was sick

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
what's everybody's favorite asia track? mine's rock and roll dream or holy war or alibis. drat good band
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3jqCh2lT-c

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

zh1 posted:

what's everybody's favorite asia track? mine's rock and roll dream or holy war or alibis. drat good band
It doesn't get any better than Sole Survivor, my man

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Early stuff, probably One Step Closer, later stuff, probably Parallel Worlds.

But that first record is basically impeccable.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

You framed an Asia poster?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I have the record with heat of the moment on it. Is that a good one? I don't think I've listened to it besides that song.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

BigFactory posted:

I have the record with heat of the moment on it. Is that a good one? I don't think I've listened to it besides that song.

Yeah, that's the first one. Heat of the Moment is super-representative of the rest of it. Like, don't expect a free-form journey to outer space, it's a record of four prog guys writing verse-chorus-verse pop tunes with occasionally overblown lyrics. But I love it anyway.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
Welp, Greg Lake passed away. :(

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

:(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPm6CheT6rs

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

hell of a year

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
poo poo, that's a bummer.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
RIP guy that Kanye sampled, making nerds everywhere extremely mad online.

But seriously, ELP were great and, while Lake era KC is actually nowhere near my favorite, he was their best singer. And his vocals on Schizoid Man are one of many reasons why it's one of my favorite songs ever--to say nothing of his fantastic bass playing.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

well on the positive side if you believe in ~Heaven~ the original members of Emerson Lake and Powell are all jamming out there now

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Earwicker posted:

well on the positive side if you believe in ~Heaven~ the original members of Emerson Lake and Powell are all jamming out there now

Carl Palmer's going to lock himself away for the next few weeks to see if he can sit out what's left of 2016.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoxHGxQw9ws

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

JAMOOOL posted:

everything about that album is all wrong and that's why I love it

SW's remix really brings it out because he made the choice to make it MORE chaotic and unlike most remasters he actually brought in new parts that were left out of the original

listening to the remastered "Happy Family" with the volume cranked is truly terrifying

Yeah, Lizard may be my favorite King Crimson album. I remember hating it when I first heard it but it grew on me quickly.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Henchman of Santa posted:

RIP guy that Kanye sampled, making nerds everywhere extremely mad online.

But seriously, ELP were great and, while Lake era KC is actually nowhere near my favorite, he was their best singer. And his vocals on Schizoid Man are one of many reasons why it's one of my favorite songs ever--to say nothing of his fantastic bass playing.

Came in here to see what you guys were saying about Greg Lake. What a lovely year it's been. I was hoping that maybe he'd do a reunion with KC at some point now that Fripp has finally gone nostalgic, but I guess that will never happen.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

TheChaosPath posted:

You framed an Asia poster?

It's funny because I have framed Roger Dean album cover posters (Yes, ABWH and Steve Howe) in my apartment and when that movie came out my friends immediately started making fun of me.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I didn't even realize that was supposed to be a reference, I just assumed I missed a post somewhere.

I've been bummed about Lake, of course. His solo side of Works v. 1 is possibly one of my favorite album sides ever, just this over-the-top orchestral pop with super-proggy lyrics. Oddly enough, there was a brief period where Wetton was out of Asia where Lake fronted them, tying the strings on the two previous conversation threads:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H65D4u6zIiY

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Allen Wren posted:

I didn't even realize that was supposed to be a reference, I just assumed I missed a post somewhere.

I've been bummed about Lake, of course. His solo side of Works v. 1 is possibly one of my favorite album sides ever, just this over-the-top orchestral pop with super-proggy lyrics. Oddly enough, there was a brief period where Wetton was out of Asia where Lake fronted them, tying the strings on the two previous conversation threads:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H65D4u6zIiY

I had just stumbled across this video the other day looking at old Greg Lake stuff and I was kind of taken aback by Downes' extremely ridiculous setup here, he's got what 8 keyboards all in a row, all of them facing away from the audience and the rest of the band so that he has to constantly run between them and also always be twisted around so he can see what everyone else is doing... why?

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Wasn't Emerson's keyboard setup completely ridiculous too? Or was that just the size of the drat thing?

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

X_Toad posted:

Wasn't Emerson's keyboard setup completely ridiculous too? Or was that just the size of the drat thing?

The monster moog
https://youtu.be/NpgS9prNZT4

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

X_Toad posted:

But Downes rig is consistently facing away from the audience, which just seems... rude? And this is coming from someone who defended Fripp when he was deilluminated onstage in 2003

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Noise Machine posted:

But Downes rig is consistently facing away from the audience, which just seems... rude?

also weird to be facing away from his bandmates, it's just a really bizarre configuration

Emeron's Moog setup is just large but his actual stage setup is pretty normal for a keyboardist using that many keyboards. that Asia set is the only time I've seen them lined up along the top of the stage like that, like they're out for a garage sale or something

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

this is so great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vFw1b-oI4w

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I think the thing with Downes' setup there is pure stagecraft - he wants the audience to SEE all these crazy keyboards he's got and to see him running between all of them, and for the audience to go "oh, that sound is that synth," or "oh, hey, there's the minimoog," etc.

Also, that may or may not have been his normal touring configuration, this was a TV event, broadcast by satellite to the US and UK.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 13, 2016

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Allen Wren posted:

I've been bummed about Lake, of course. His solo side of Works v. 1 is possibly one of my favorite album sides ever, just this over-the-top orchestral pop with super-proggy lyrics.

I love ELP but man, this is absolutely the first time I've ever heard this take

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
John Wetton looking a bit better, RF posted a pic of them smiling at camera on FB... so hopefully he's improved.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is inducting Yes and ELO.

The lineup going in for Yes is from Union, which means no Peter Banks. Which sucks, as Banks was so instrumental to helping them get off the ground. Time and a Word has become one of my favorite Yes albums (though Banks hated the orchestra).

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Asked in Recommendation Thread but thought I'd ask here as well if that's okay: can anyone recommend me any 1970s style progressive-ish rock on the more jazz/funk/fusion/R&B end of the spectrum?

I am thinking along the lines of Brian Auger & the Trinity or Ginger Baker's Air Force.

Pretty much anything by Brand X.

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
New Pain of Salvation just got released and is really good. I've been turned off from them since BE but the new album slays. It has a lot of their old Remedy Lane-era complexity and heaviness but with more raw grit. Much better than the Road Salt albums which I listened to once and forgot about. I guess Daniel had a near-death experience with a flesh eating bacteria so it's a concept album related to that experience. Have a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_qZpLgvdOI

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Hawklad posted:

New Pain of Salvation just got released and is really good. I've been turned off from them since BE but the new album slays. It has a lot of their old Remedy Lane-era complexity and heaviness but with more raw grit. Much better than the Road Salt albums which I listened to once and forgot about. I guess Daniel had a near-death experience with a flesh eating bacteria so it's a concept album related to that experience. Have a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_qZpLgvdOI

It's definitely an improvement on the forgettable Road Salt albums, and a big one on Scarsick (not my Perfect Element pt II, Daniel!)
A bit more chuggy than I expect from PoS. I loved the guitar and piano riffs on the first 4 albums, the keys are almost invisible on this one when combined with the rest of the band which leaves the production feeling quite stark especially when there's such little melodically going on with the guitars most of the time. There's some BEish reverby piano and classical instrument bits, which are pretty ok.

There aresome good PoS rhythms in there, though, which I guess is a trademark. Not a fan of the new second vocalist (Ragnar I think?) but overall it's the best Pain of Salvation since BE (not a high bar, granted) and worth a listen.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I actually enjoyed both Road Salts and Scarsick, while everything before BE is kind of a forgettable blur of dodgy rhythms to me. Not sure what to expect from this album reading the thread. Reasons sounds reasonably good, and I'll definitely give the rest a listen soon.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
The new PoS is a nice blend of their old and new stuff. But its emotional content is easily on par with anything from their entire catalog. If anything it's even more effective because its themes are things that everybody has to deal with.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I always assumed that pain of salvation was bad Christian rock like Spock's beard only with dream theater as a major influence instead of genesis or whatever.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

BigFactory posted:

I always assumed that pain of salvation was bad Christian rock like Spock's beard only with dream theater as a major influence instead of genesis or whatever.

They do have religious or rather spiritual themes in their music, but as far as I know Gildenlöw is not religious himself. And I don't think they are very similar to DT.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
The only album by Pain of Salvation I've been able to get into has been Remedy Lane, but I REALLY like it. Be is okay and I don't mind the philosophy 101 lyrics because I expect that shenanigans with prog, but I think it could've been half as long.

BigFactory posted:

Nah, just an unusually Christian sounding band name. I think Europeans aren't as immediately repulsed by religiousy words because they've generally never had the US's (and to a lesser extent UK's?) weird evangelical Christian youth group/music/film culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Paladinus posted:

They do have religious or rather spiritual themes in their music, but as far as I know Gildenlöw is not religious himself. And I don't think they are very similar to DT.

I think they don't have a high opinion about organized religion in general, Mrs. Modern Mother Mary being an example.
The first album, Entropia, is the closest they get to DTs style, but the rest is less... show-offy.