Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

So as it turns out, Discord doesn't want to play nice with my VPN (Private Internet Access). So I can either lag like loving hell, or not use discord.

What do?

use mumble like sane people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griz
May 21, 2001

level 60 monk in main scenario roulette

what the gently caress

I put an enhanced arrow on them because that usually gets fun reactions, but then I looked at their buffs and they never had more than 1 stack of GL the entire time

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Holyshoot posted:

got a link to what the current relic items look like?

Here you are:

http://imgur.com/gallery/EpxNZ

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

You can use ninjutsu once per 20 seconds, so basically your priority with it is:

a) Keeping Futon up (which you have to do once every three ninjutsu from 45 through the 50s, and can keep up with a combo action thereafter)
b) Using Suiton whenever Trick Attack is up to increase raidwide damage
c) Putting down Doton for groups
d) Appropriate damage ninjutsu (katon for groups, raiton for single target)

I'm only a very casual ninja though so I'm sure people who play the class more will have more in-depth advice. Basically you want to be using ninjutsu the second it's up though, so you tap in those three mudras as fast as you can so as not to eat into your GCD.

Only thing to note here is that Doton needs to tic at least seven out of eight times on all targets for it to be more overall damage than Katon. Things dying too soon or moving out of the effect will cause you to lose dps. For this reason I find that Katon is almost always better for AOE.

e: hotbars in case you're interested

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 22, 2017

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

c) Putting down Doton for groups

Doton is generally a bad decision. Not always, but more often than not. It takes both a tank knowing not to drag poo poo out of it and the group dps being low enough where it ticks for 21 of it's 24 second duration on everything in the pull to outdo katon. Generally a lot of this isn't true. Especially considering in your AE opener you wouldn't start with Doton, your rotation would be shadewalker tank, death blossom, katon, death blossom, kassatsu, death blossom, doton. So you are going to be 6 seconds into the pull before doton even hits the field. You could start with doton and kassatsu the katon instead I suppose but even then everything in the pull still needs to live that 21 seconds before doton outdoes katon. This has generally not been the case in groups that I have been in.

More broadly, I tend to do double katon if my cooldowns are up at the start of a pull and drop a doton if they aren't and the other dps is a melee and also the healer is honest.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Truga posted:

See, that's what I've been saying. I don't fancy having to sign up for yet another goddamn thing.

Holyshoot posted:

got a link to what the current relic items look like?

http://imgur.com/gallery/EpxNZ

e:fb

Mrs.Nameko
Dec 16, 2015

Mushrooms are the internet of the forest!
:siren:GOON WEDDING:siren:

Just Sparkles and spamming holy everywhere!!! :sparkles:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Truga posted:

lmao okay gramps

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Discord is good though

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

The problem here rather clearly is using a full connection switching VPN instead of targeting FFXIVs route, not with Discord, which is cool and good

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
PIA *is* a full-connection-switching VPN. That's the problem.

Discord client doesn't have the ability to clearly define ports for forwarding, they insist on using uPnP.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 22, 2017

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Thanks buddy.

http://pastebin.com/fGwGHFP0

Some of the text is hosed up here but it will appear correctly if you copypaste it into the game.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
How hard is it to get a threat meter going and dps overlay? I did it back in February but it was sometimes buggy and a pain to setup. But I quit and that was the last time I logged in since returning today.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i don't know why you would need a threat meter but dps overlays are a no-no

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Holyshoot posted:

How hard is it to get a threat meter going and dps overlay? I did it back in February but it was sometimes buggy and a pain to setup. But I quit and that was the last time I logged in since returning today.

It's not hard, Advanced combat tracker and Rainbowmage's bars look nice

orange juche fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jan 22, 2017

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i don't know why you would need a threat meter but dps overlays are a no-no
threat meter is very useful for discerning whether you need to do a threat combo or not as a main tank job that doesn't usually spam their threat combo for DPS

or whether you shout at the WHM to use shroud or beg a ninja for some shadewalker, either way it's very useful

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

So is ninja basically FFXIV's equivalent to Dota's Invoker?

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Ibblebibble posted:

So is ninja basically FFXIV's equivalent to Dota's Invoker?
what no invoker has four buttons, ninja has 41

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

What the gently caress is this poo poo?
The shift, ctrl and alt keys on your keyboard aren't just there for decoration.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I want to be able to do 4* crafts so it's time to do 2 extra melds in all my IW crafting gear and weep at the gaping crater that used to be my wallet.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Discord client doesn't have the ability to clearly define ports for forwarding, they insist on using uPnP.

:cripes:

At least now I know why discord voice mostly won't work for me.

vvvv: upnp is a steaming pile of poo poo that needs to die in the dumpster fire it was born in hth

Truga fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jan 22, 2017

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

oh no, using zero-config features in the year 2017, what a travesty

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
OK what class has the least amount of buttons to push?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

ManSedan posted:

OK what class has the least amount of buttons to push?

Black mage.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Finally finished downloading and I've made a char on Cactuar (no real reason why I picked that, a whim and no great desire to play on the main packed server). If someone feels like putting a valid recruit code in the appropriate thread I'll use it. The one I found had expired.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

A little bit more to this here actually. Because Fuma Shuriken will never clip a GCD and Raiton might, it's more like this:

Katon for groups, Fuma for single target with a Slashing Debuff, Raiton for single without a debuff OR with Foe Requiem.
Always Kassatsu (refresh Mudra timer and garuntees a crit on that Mudra) Raiton for single target.

It depends on your SkS and latency, but the following should still hold for most people.

"DNT guide posted:

Another way of looking at my rules is to remember them as a priority system (#1 is highest priority):
1.If Hypercharge is up, use Shuriken.
2.If Foe Requiem is up, use Raiton.
3.If Enhanced Arrow is up, use Shuriken.
4.If Kassatsu is up, use Raiton. (Note that #1 & #3 override this rule)
5.Default: Use Shuriken.

If you're unsure, the spreadsheet is helpful, although it doesn't give exact results.

e: Also yeah there should be a rule about using Raiton when slashing isn't up somewhere in there. Apparently he forgot to check that situation.

VHGS fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 22, 2017

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Caeks posted:

any Ninja players comment on how Ninja plays in the late game?

Just got the Ninja job and I need to wrap my hand around mudra or whatever it's called. I understand the concept about using combinations to cast different things - but how do you figure it into rotations?

I was a long time WoW player and one of the things I'm finding is that rotations for DPS classes in FFXIV are much longer than the average DPS spec in WoW.

Edit: Are there also any add-ons comparable to WoW? Or is the only way to mod your hud via the built in hud options/layout manager? Some ui pics of your characters and setups at end game would be awesome to look over.

In addition to everything that's already been said, keep in mind that things in FFXIV snapshot. So once you land your Trick Attack and/or pop all your cooldowns, refresh your DoTs. They will continue doing increased damage even if they last longer than the buff/debuff.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mymla posted:

Getting upset over keybinds is the weirdest thing MMO players do, even considering the incesty RP'ers. If it works for the player, it's fine, even if it's the world's worst set of binds to you.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I wish I could use the ctrl and alt keys for my keybinds, but I don't like moving off of wasd. I can't reach ctrl and alt that way, so I make due.

~ is the real hotkey secret that no one uses.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Slight reach down on pinky for ctrl, tuck thumb under hand for alt?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

shift, alt, and ctrl modifiers are kind of painful for me to use with any regularity. I'd much rather use the function keys and the center of the keyboard, which are also there for more than decoration. Sorry if that upsets you I guess.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Mymla posted:

Also, why would you assign poisons to mouse buttons? There's maybe a handful of fights in the entire game where you might want to change poison on the fly to switch between stun and silence, and even then you don't need quick access. I woulda thought you'd want to put a macro'd Shukuchi or Goad there or something. (Since you can bind it to target whatever you're hovering the cursor over.)

Your layout is not exactly what I would choose and is therefore wrong and inferior good sir! Harumph!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
This is why I just click most of my skills with my mouse.

This game is amazing because there isn't one play style that is necessarily better. Whatever is most comfortable for you is what you should do. Some people play their keyboards like a piano and never touch their mice. Some idiots like my click 99% of things while frantically swinging the camera around to keep my apm up like some pro starcraft player. I have one friend that has some insane amount of keys on their mouse (like 10-15 with an entire numberpad on the side) who can play the game one handed. You can even fully play with a controller and not be limited in any real way.

All that matters in this game is that you never use macros to trigger a GCD (except shadowflare with a target macro) and you hit your buttons in the right order for your class. How you want to do it is entirely up to you and in whatever way is most comfortable.

Here are my dragoon hotbars

I only ever hit 1-6 on the bottom row and have both ctrl and alt mapped to the second bar although i never hit more than 1-3 for that one. I click every other button with my mouse. This game is amazing flexible because it allows people to play well enough to clear any content with any playstyle. I was floortanking one of our wipes on A8S here a couple of weeks ago while we were attempting to farm it gear. That fight is so much fun but it is the longest dumbest loving fight. If you roll in with full 270 it's pretty easy to skip one of the intermissions, though.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 22, 2017

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is why I just click most of my skills with my mouse.

I've pretty much gotten into the habit of doing that with Bard. Leveled it as an alt class and couldn't really find keyspread that felt right for me, and unlike NIN there are a lot less points in the Bard rotation where you have to worry about clipping GCDs. (Accept with Empyrial shot weirdness. God that skill is just weird.)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Also, why would you assign poisons to mouse buttons?

I put all my stances on my side mouse buttons. I try to keep common abilities in the same place across jobs, for example, all of my ranged weaponskills like shield lob or tomahawk are bound to 8.

Honestly a lot of it has no real logic beyond muscle memory.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

I've pretty much gotten into the habit of doing that with Bard. Leveled it as an alt class and couldn't really find keyspread that felt right for me, and unlike NIN there are a lot less points in the Bard rotation where you have to worry about clipping GCDs. (Accept with Empyrial shot weirdness. God that skill is just weird.)

I blame diablo. I don't really play a lot of video games anymore. Had three consoles and dozens of games stolen in 2003 and just never really gave a gently caress to buy anymore. I always had a computer and almost always had some version of diablo and that game was always just click till you can't click anymore. I haven't kept up with diablo III since well before the expansion, though.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

I put all my stances on my side mouse buttons. I try to keep common abilities in the same place across jobs, for example, all of my ranged weaponskills like shield lob or tomahawk are bound to 8.

You know, it just struck me how weird the NIN stances are. I mean the poisons are almost exactly the same except for a very marginal change to a couple of abilities. Thinking about it if they wanted to expand the breadth of NIN abilities without actually adding more buttons, Square could do a lot worse than just making Poisons affect more skills in various ways.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

This is the main driver behind my hotkey layouts too. Main 2 combos go 321 and 345 on all 3 tank classes, for example. :v:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

You know, it just struck me how weird the NIN stances are. I mean the poisons are almost exactly the same except for a very marginal change to a couple of abilities. Thinking about it if they wanted to expand the breadth of NIN abilities without actually adding more buttons, Square could do a lot worse than just making Poisons affect more skills in various ways.

Alternatively they could just get rid of them because they add nothing to the play of the class beyond "do I need to stun or silence" (or rather "do I need to not build up stun or silence immunity").

I also think that stun and silence abilities shouldn't do damage, but that's another discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
brutal swing is a cool ability so I am glad it does damage and stuns and I can't really think of a relevant encounter where you're not safe CC'ing on cooldown

• Locked thread