Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Ray Perez is a terrific magic player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

PleasantDirge posted:

RR is loving unhinged for sure but there is a golden flake in his turdpost this time. Frontier is a format for those that have only recently joined and are priced out of many other formats. If this and frontier are good things overall are debate able but the fact that its a format for ppl that have post khans draft chaff is not.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/frontier#paper

The paper prices for a format that is not even sanctioned yet is pretty :lol:. I laugh every time someone brings up the "priced out" line. What do you think happens when hell freezes over and it becomes sanctioned?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Ray Perez is a terrific magic player.

Also a person who plays competitive magic at a high level and manages to be a pleasant person to play against.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Dykman was one of the local guys from here in MI running that GB list, cool seeing him do so well. Great player

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I want to start messing around with modern, but I am super unfamiliar with the format. Is there a good place to go to learn about the decks (not just deck lists) that shape the format?

Aranan fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 22, 2017

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Aranan posted:

I have never been a huge fan of standard--even when it was Type II I avoided it because I don't like how fast the sets rotate. I want to start messing around with modern, but I am super unfamiliar with the format. Is there a good place to go to learn about the decks (not just deck lists) that shape the format?

I just started playing again last year and built my first modern deck a few weeks ago. The best places to look are the mtggoldfish meta game or mtgtop8 lists for modern, learn the cards and watch a lot of streams or youtube videos on the decks matchups. I'm still clueless on a lot of the modern cards but watching games seems to be the best way to learn the meta decks.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Aranan posted:

I have never been a huge fan of standard--even when it was Type II I avoided it because I don't like how fast the sets rotate. I want to start messing around with modern, but I am super unfamiliar with the format. Is there a good place to go to learn about the decks (not just deck lists) that shape the format?

This article is a pretty reasonable place to start.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Aranan posted:

The format just underwent a major change. You're gonna have to wait a few weeks and look at winning decklists of bigger events.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 22, 2017

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Thanks, guys. I knew about mtggoldfish which is a great list resource, and some of their oddball brewed Modern decks look amusing.

Any recommendations for good modern streamers or YouTube vids?

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Aranan posted:

Thanks, guys. I knew about mtggoldfish which is a great list resource, and some of their oddball brewed Modern decks look amusing.

Any recommendations for good modern streamers or YouTube vids?

Todd Stevens does a good stream and plays a ton of modern.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TwistedNails posted:

Todd Stevens does a good stream and plays a ton of modern.

He plays bad modern decks though.

Jesus Christ. Stop putting Jim Davis on Camera.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 22, 2017

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

mcmagic posted:

He plays bad modern decks though.

You can still learn a lot watching his stream because most of the people he plays are playing good decks. Bad decks are fun, non-tier 1 modern is fun.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Jesus Christ. Stop putting Jim Davis on Camera.

The king of getting away with slow play.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

The king of getting away with slow play.

he needed that 20 seconds to stretch after looking at his GY.

oryx
Nov 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Jesus christ Jim Davis is excruciating to watch.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

oryx posted:

Jesus christ Jim Davis is excruciating to watch.

Slow play, sick topdecks.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Sickening posted:

Slow play, sick topdecks.

My favorite part of Jim Davis is how when he is running out of time and he has to win suddenly he plays a lot more fast, isn't making random "whoops I played two lands" mistakes.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Sickening posted:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/frontier#paper

The paper prices for a format that is not even sanctioned yet is pretty :lol:. I laugh every time someone brings up the "priced out" line. What do you think happens when hell freezes over and it becomes sanctioned?

Yeah but that's not the discussion, the discussion is about people who are not grognards who kept all/most of the khans and forward cards they opened because they didn't already have drawers and closets filled with cards and if frontier is good for them. Unless frontier does a complete 180 from every other format that's ever existed prices on cards will go up but you know who doesn't ever care about that? People that already own the cards. I mean I care that magic is super expensive to play but I'm in the minority.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

PleasantDirge posted:

Yeah but that's not the discussion, the discussion is about people who are not grognards who kept all/most of the khans and forward cards they opened because they didn't already have drawers and closets filled with cards and if frontier is good for them. Unless frontier does a complete 180 from every other format that's ever existed prices on cards will go up but you know who doesn't ever care about that? People that already own the cards. I mean I care that magic is super expensive to play but I'm in the minority.

I think you over estimate how much of the magic population owns all the cards in frontier or even still has the cards for a single deck.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Hey, Jim Davis might be an infuriatingly and illegally slow player, but at least he's also an rear end in a top hat.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Attorney at Funk posted:

Hey, Jim Davis might be an infuriatingly and illegally slow player, but at least he's also an rear end in a top hat.

What he do now?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Is Abzan Company better or worse in the post ban meta? I loved goldfishing the deck but never had the balls to take it to a tournament, so I barely understand the matchups.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ShaneB posted:

Is Abzan Company better or worse in the post ban meta? I loved goldfishing the deck but never had the balls to take it to a tournament, so I barely understand the matchups.

It should be slightly better with the meta slowing down slightly and graveyard hate being a little less. Ton of cranial extractions in sideboards these days so that might not be a good.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I have everything for frontier but lili and kalitas.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

uninverted posted:

This article is a pretty reasonable place to start.

Thank you for this article because I didn't realize Enduring Ideal decks were a thing. I've been building the wrong kind of enchantment prison deck...

E: Form of the Dragon AND Suppression Field? Be still my heart.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 22, 2017

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Attorney at Funk posted:

What now?

Edit: I'm pretty sure Kevin Jones left Team MGG. Their website just says "new roster" and he's not listed on their Twitter. I made their old website and I have no idea what's going on with the new one. I know the owners wanted to turn it into some kind of pay-for-coaching thing with screen sharing and video chat. I didn't think to ask the owners about it when I saw them at the release event.

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 22, 2017

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

C-Euro posted:

Thank you for this article because I didn't realize Enduring Ideal decks were a thing. I've been building the wrong kind of enchantment prison deck...

Yeah I might have to at least try it out myself

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

What now?

Edit: I'm pretty sure Kevin Jones left Team MGG. Their website just says "new roster" and he's not listed on their Twitter. I made their old website and I have no idea what's going on with the new one. I know the owners wanted to turn it into some kind of pay-for-coaching thing with screen sharing and video chat. I didn't think to ask the owners about it when I saw them at the release event.

Good, that team was cancer and he didn't fit in personality wise with those turds.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sickening posted:

It should be slightly better with the meta slowing down slightly and graveyard hate being a little less. Ton of cranial extractions in sideboards these days so that might not be a good.

I'm pretty sure he'd be ecstatic if someone bright that in against him. And given how much people love bringing in Lobotomize effects against decks that there's no reason to ever bring them in, it seems like a good choice.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

I'm pretty sure he'd be ecstatic if someone bright that in against him. And given how much people love bringing in Lobotomize effects against decks that there's no reason to ever bring them in, it seems like a good choice.

Abzan company does has a pretty decent value gameplan, but the combo is a reason to play the deck. Decks with instant speed, 0 cmc options to remove the combo while its attempting to combo off aren't helping the deck thrive. It doesn't even suffer card disadvantage like it normally would when using extraction. Not saying its the most optimal, but it doesn't help.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 22, 2017

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I like thing where whenever Jim is about to die he acts real confused about what is happening to see if he can get his opponent to misplay.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Surgical Extraction is a poorly designed card imo (ban all phyrexian mana)

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Wow that last on-camera match was great.

No Cat Lady in top 8? Is that right?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

sit on my Facebook posted:

Wow that last on-camera match was great.

No Cat Lady in top 8? Is that right?

Why was that aggro deck playing so many basic islands? I think we only saw rebuke. What's the rest of the blue for?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Yeah I was kinda wondering about some of his choices too, I only caught the last half of the match. Honestly though a blue splash for Rebuke and some sideboard cards seems totally reasonable and really low opportunity cost so I wouldn't be surprised if that was about all there was to it.

P.S. I totally told you guys that Cat Lady wasn't oppressive.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Why was that aggro deck playing so many basic islands? I think we only saw rebuke. What's the rest of the blue for?

I think he had spell quellers

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Iron cheerios went undefeated at a 60 man IQ this weekend. Deck might actually be good. Retract is now almost 10 bucks.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

sit on my Facebook posted:

Yeah I was kinda wondering about some of his choices too, I only caught the last half of the match. Honestly though a blue splash for Rebuke and some sideboard cards seems totally reasonable and really low opportunity cost so I wouldn't be surprised if that was about all there was to it.

P.S. I totally told you guys that Cat Lady wasn't oppressive.

The Pros haven't got to it yet.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

mcmagic posted:

The Pros haven't got to it yet.

Yeah I went back and forth on posting that because I'm quite sure the deck has room to grow and almost certainly under-performed its potential today but I think the fact that it landed ZERO copies in the top 8 definitely suggests that it's not some unbeatable boogeyman.

sit on my Facebook fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Sickening posted:

Iron cheerios went undefeated at a 60 man IQ this weekend. Deck might actually be good. Retract is now almost 10 bucks.

Lmao I bought some last week because of Sram I'm on a roll

e: Do you have the list or tournament location?

• Locked thread