Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Atomizer posted:

"Stock gun" is the operative phrase there. Stock tanks are usually terrible. The Lago isn't even particularly poor for a tier 4 (when elite.) It was playable, although I'm debating keeping it since there are other 4s (like the TDs) that are probably better at that tier.

The next tank, however, will test your patience; it has about a 6-second reload time on a 3" gun, leading to DPM that is almost as bad as the T24. Don't get me wrong, it has other advantages, but the RoF stands out, especially since I did a credit retrain on the crew so they aren't even 100% yet.

Yeah, it was just jarring how bad it was. At first I was like "how is my gun already broken, I haven't been shot at yet."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Reminder to everyone, the UDES is unbelievably fantastic.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Meanwhile, the Ikv 65 Alt II is terrible. By far the worst DPM for a tier 6 TD. Even worse than the ARL V39 with the top 90 mm.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Aced the Skorp finally.

http://wotreplays.com/site/3274896#lakeville-axetrain-rheinmetall_skorpion_g

It's deeply satisfying to send those 500 alpha gently caress you rounds sailing into people and make boatloads of silver doing it.

Edit:

And this game looked promising but the team had a bad case of the stupids.

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 21, 2017

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Reminder to everyone, the UDES is unbelievably fantastic.

But it's not, its incredible inflexible, it can't react to anything, it can't be offensive at all. Siege mode is crippling.

But it might be a boost to a red tomato who camps in the back ends of the map the whole game, since it is invisible and has a good gun.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Listen up oval office as I'll only say this once. Wrong.

You're just wrong.

You're the wrongest person that ever lived.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Holy christ, those two CDCs were retarded.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Listen up oval office as I'll only say this once. Wrong.

You're just wrong.

You're the wrongest person that ever lived.

Just saying, I proberbly play the UDES better then you,

And that said, its a very terrible tank.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

hey you know what's a good tank?

the comet

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

McGavin posted:

100 times this. As for why I was banned, it turns out that the damage from driving your tank onto a teammate counts as team damage.

I honestly didn't think that was a thing. I get rammed all the damned time by my own team just leaving the start. Not to mention the assholes that like to sideswipe and run others off into rocks and poo poo

Steelion posted:

Jesus christ either I've suddenly turned into the worst player, or I've been getting cosmically shafted for the past week. 6 for 22, according to Noobmeter, with only slightly worse stats than normal (and in lower tier tanks).

Eh, I'm no awesome dude in this, but even I've seen a decline in win ratios as of late mainly because for as poo poo as I am my teams leave a flank to be defended by me alone or one other guy, run off and get slaughtered, and then those of us left get overwhelmed. I dunno if this is just a cycle or if I'm being placed in teams where everyone wants OMG HIT POINTS! Keep in mind these are tier 7 and 8 battles.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 21, 2017

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

SocketWrench posted:

I honestly didn't think that was a thing. I get rammed all the damned time by my own team just leaving the start. Not to mention the assholes that like to sideswipe and run others off into rocks and poo poo

Look, that bridge when I'm in a heavy tank is the only thing that makes Erlenburg fun.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
PzIV part 2

Queue: PzIV, PzIII Ausf. A, PzIII Ausf. B through D, SR tanks

Available for request:

:911:
T2E1 Light Tank
M3A1
Combat Car M1
Howitzer Motor Carriage T-18

:britain:
A1E1 Independent
Infantry Tank Mk.I

:ussr:
LTP
T-37 with ShKAS
ZIK-20
T-12 and T-24
HTZ-16
Wartime modifications of the T-37 and T-38
SG-122
76 mm gun mod of the Matilda
Tank destroyers on the T-30 and T-40 chassis
45 mm M-42 gun
Soviet tractor tanks
02SS Aerosan
SU-76 prototype
LPP-25 NEW

:sweden:
L-10 and L-30
Strv m/40
Strv m/42
Landsverk prototypes 1943-1951
EMIL and KRV
Strv 103 NEW

:poland:
Trials of the TKS and C2P in the USSR
37 mm anti-tank gun

:japan:
SR tanks

:france:
Renault NC
Renault D1
Renault R35
Renault D2
Renault R40
Char B1 bis
Char B1 ter
25 mm Hotchkiss gun

:godwin:
PzI Ausf. B
PzI Ausf. C
PzII Ausf. a though b
PzII Ausf. c through C
PzII trials in the USSR NEW
Pak 97/38
Pz.Sfl.IVb
7.5 cm Pak 41
Hummel
s.FH. 18

:eurovision:
LT vz 35
CKD TNH and LTP (Tanque 39)

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Descar posted:

But it's not, its incredible inflexible, it can't react to anything, it can't be offensive at all. Siege mode is crippling.

But it might be a boost to a red tomato who camps in the back ends of the map the whole game, since it is invisible and has a good gun.

Well the new meta is CHAI sniping, soooo..... :shrug:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

... new?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The comet is pretty good at sniping.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

So is the SU-122-44.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Atomizer posted:

So is the SU-122-44.

Has it changed much since 9.4/5 directly or in the meta?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

The Patriot and Liberte premium tanks are pretty huge issues for the 122-44.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Grinding the German TD line, can someone sum up the play differences between the Jpanther II and the Ferdinand? Much obliged.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

VelociBacon posted:

Grinding the German TD line, can someone sum up the play differences between the Jpanther II and the Ferdinand? Much obliged.

Neither are nearly as rewarding an experience as the st emil

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Azhais posted:

Neither are nearly as rewarding an experience as the st emil

You monster.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
The Emil is sort of like the SU-100Y, in that it's a comically oversized gun crammed into a clumsy, unarmored hull. The 100Y is faster, a tier lower, a premium, and has enough shells to last a game, plus the gold rounds actually do even more damage.
The Emil gets gun depression.

The Emil is not a good tank.

e: I guess the Emil gets better gun handling, but it's a tier higher so I'm not sure that's as much of a plus as it could be.

Steelion fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 22, 2017

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Steelion posted:

The Emil is sort of like the SU-100Y, in that it's a comically oversized gun crammed into a clumsy, unarmored hull.

But at least you need to grind 50k xp before you can use the comically oversized gun

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Tier 7 is the worst balanced tier after tier 4, but tier 7 lasts much longer.

Tier 10 has some real outliers too but it's more consistent.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

Neither have armor. The JP2 is actually just armorless now, the Ferdinand's got such a large number of weakspots and they're so thin that even if a pubbie shoots at you randomly they're likely to find somewhere they'll pen merely by accident. Basically do you want speed? JP2. Do you want to be able to aim the gun at an angle and at least have the HP to trade away? Ferd.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
As I understand it though all high level Ferdinand drivers are loving lunatics who can take their tank into assault gun mode and just slam people in the dick repeatedly.

At least I saw that happen once. It was amazing.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Redeye Flight posted:

As I understand it though all high level Ferdinand drivers are loving lunatics who can take their tank into assault gun mode and just slam people in the dick repeatedly.

that'd how I'd play it, gotta hold left click

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

No, but I was being facetious, with regards to the Comet and other tanks that goons can't agree on. :shobon:

VelociBacon posted:

I just posted about both tanks around a week ago:

Atomizer posted:

I actually have both (because of course I do); I got the JP2 first because that was the better of the two, then before I started the grind they buffed the Ferdi and I got that because why not? :rolleyes: I ended up finishing the grind to the JT on the Ferdi, which was surprisingly playable. It's been a while since I played the JP2, but I think the Ferdi's more than competitive in terms of being stronger defensively as a tradeoff to the JP2's maneuverability advantage, and the Ferdi's better depression and traverse are valuable as well. When I got penned frontally in the Ferdi, it was generally either in the lower glacis or just straight through the front with 200+ pen shells; most people didn't know about or bother with the shoulders. The Ferdi's armor, while not being particularly effective against tier 8s, is strong against lower tiers, and to be honest that makes it a pretty balanced vehicle; it should match up competitively against its own tier while being able to stand up against weaker vehicles.

The Ferdi isn't as slow as it seems, and is actually noticeably more maneuverable than the T28. Those two TDs actually were fairly similar grinds, being somewhat sluggish assault guns with good armor and cannons, but I definitely preferred the Ferdi. I sold the T28, and am considering selling the Ferdi & JP2 while keeping the Rhoomba, because of course the latter gets the same gun with bullshit camo and a turret in addition to slightly better DPM! :stare: I should probably play the now-elite JP2 a bit more just to reacquaint myself with it, and I just might keep the Ferdi after all. I also have the ISU, and while it has the biggest, fuckoffest gun on a tier 8 TD, to be honest the German 128 is a better tradeoff of alpha/RoF and accuracy, being able to gently caress poo poo up more reliably than the Soviet gun.

As far as a recommendation for a tier 8 TD to grind? The Ferdi is totally worth it. I struggle to be able to recommend the JP2, because while it's slightly more mobile it's less able to use positions it attains due to the reduced gun traverse/depression, and the Ferdi is as equally good as a sniper while being a much better assault gun (which is the recommended mode of play.) The T28 was just boring, and those hatches on the top are infuriating, especially as they transfer to the T95 (realistically the same vehicle of course) where mouthbreathing pubbies can snapshot them with regularity.

Basically, they have the same gun stats but the JP2 trades HP, armor, depression, traverse, etc., for slightly more mobility.

I have no regrets about playing through the Ferdi after getting both.

Redeye Flight posted:

Ah, so you watched my last battle! :black101:

http://wotreplays.eu/site/3254967?secret=32096e0ac00a7665211f2e49e576c542

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Huh, all the wehraboos were right all along, this game has a totally unrealistic implementation of nazi tanks. Your Ferdinand went 2.4 kilometers without breaking down.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Hellsau posted:

Huh, all the wehraboos were right all along, this game has a totally unrealistic implementation of nazi tanks. Your Ferdinand went 2.4 kilometers without breaking down.

That's only if you don't count the driver dying twice. :ssh:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Finally aced the Leo. Dunno what the actual threshold was, but it turns out 1,6k base xp was enough. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oabV619Exg

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

First M, stoked.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Fine bought the ferdi again, ill give it a try for the third time, free xp to the top gun to hopefully make it more enjoyable.

Holy poo poo the top gun is amazing, I have been a fool.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 22, 2017

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

you'd have to look far and wide to find someone praising 10,5-armed Ferdis so yeah, that might help

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
It would probably be easier to make a list of tanks that aren't completely garbage with the stock gun.

Then again the fact that I can't think of any might make that difficult.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Steelion posted:

It would probably be easier to make a list of tanks that aren't completely garbage with the stock gun.

Then again the fact that I can't think of any might make that difficult.

Chinese IS-2 only one that comes to mind.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The T-10 wasn't awful stock

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Obj 430-II

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Jap heavies have pretty serviceable stock guns up to tier 7 I found.

EDIT: I mean the actual heavies, not the low tier abortions

Nordick fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

VelociBacon posted:

Don't bother with either