Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
When you have free time on your lunch break at work, you think up weird ideas like cataloging your ASL scenarios by a homemade complexity rating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

T-Bone posted:

Falling Sky ended up with an Aeudi win after the Romans funded them a little too well, allowing them to push my Arverni westwards. This was compounded by my strategy of falling west with my first march (an attempt to juice up my rallies), but with the Aeudi so well funded I wasn't able to hold on to my starting areas. I was about to raze/take the Aeudi homelands with a huge Vercingetorix led attack when the Winter card came, but alas. It's probably not worth going too far West unless you already have a huge amount of forces on the board or a lot of money as the Arverni don't have the resources to rally in that many areas, especially if the Romans give the Aedui a +2 funded trade.

They want to try Liberty or Death next (I was trying to push them towards Fire in the Lake or ADP but oh well) -- do the French and Indian factions really have nothing to do in the main scenario?

I've played Falling Sky four times, and every time featured a player who had never played the game as the Arverni. I think that despite their large army, they are almost as hard to play as the Aedui, and the mistake is in playing them as one would the Romans or the Belgae. I don't think you made a mistake in taking the west, the Arverni should be dominating there or at least be competitive. I think the Arverni should be Devastating and Raiding as much as they can, since they can Rally in Devastated areas when Vercengetorix is there and anyone (especially the Arverni) can still Raid other opponents in Devastation.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Just finished a Falling Sky solitaire run as Aedui. Fun game -- I ended with +1 to win, with Arverni at -2, Belgics at -4, and the Romans way behind. That's because the Romans decided to get all their dudes killed in a couple shootouts in Belgica, and the Senate was understandably pissed off.

That was just before the second-to-last winter, and Rome-bot couldn't do anything much after that. I ended up spamming Raid and Suborn which worked out pretty well though. Convictolitavis wasn't even in the deck; it would have been really nice to Suborn in 2 regions.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

When you have free time on your lunch break at work, you think up weird ideas like cataloging your ASL scenarios by a homemade complexity rating.

2185 is that Gold Beach one, right?

(Hahaha, we both know that would blow up the index)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Jobbo_Fett posted:

2185 is that Gold Beach one, right?

(Hahaha, we both know that would blow up the index)

Heh, I just plugged in Gold Beach...

Turns: 11.00
Map size (number of hexes): 7920
Size index (turns * hexes): 87120
Squads: 236.5
Guns: 12
AFVs: 44

Complexity score is [size index * (squads + (guns * 4) + (AFVs * 10))] divided by 1000

...63,118.44 :geno:

edit-- that one scenario is going to throw off my whole scale

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 17, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

Heh, I just plugged in Gold Beach...

Turns: 11.00
Map size (number of hexes): 7920
Size index (turns * hexes): 87120
Squads: 236.5
Guns: 12
AFVs: 44

Complexity score is [size index * (squads + (guns * 4) + (AFVs * 10))] divided by 1000

...63,118.44 :geno:

edit-- that one scenario is going to throw off my whole scale

Hahahaha, my brilliant plan has worked!

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Just finished a Falling Sky solitaire run as Aedui. Fun game -- I ended with +1 to win, with Arverni at -2, Belgics at -4, and the Romans way behind. That's because the Romans decided to get all their dudes killed in a couple shootouts in Belgica, and the Senate was understandably pissed off.

That was just before the second-to-last winter, and Rome-bot couldn't do anything much after that. I ended up spamming Raid and Suborn which worked out pretty well though. Convictolitavis wasn't even in the deck; it would have been really nice to Suborn in 2 regions.

I'm surprised by this, because as I recall, Romebot will almost always avoid battle if there's any chance of losing legions.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

homullus posted:

I've played Falling Sky four times, and every time featured a player who had never played the game as the Arverni. I think that despite their large army, they are almost as hard to play as the Aedui, and the mistake is in playing them as one would the Romans or the Belgae. I don't think you made a mistake in taking the west, the Arverni should be dominating there or at least be competitive. I think the Arverni should be Devastating and Raiding as much as they can, since they can Rally in Devastated areas when Vercengetorix is there and anyone (especially the Arverni) can still Raid other opponents in Devastation.

Yeah I could see spreading out to raid with full commands + huge rallies in Vercengetorix dominated areas with limited command on 2nd eligibility working well.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

CaptainRightful posted:

I'm surprised by this, because as I recall, Romebot will almost always avoid battle if there's any chance of losing legions.

Rome lost big in 2 successive battles with Ambiorix. The first was really my fault, because Rome ran out of resources that would have let it strike first or build a fort for their position in Belgica. The second I think the Rome-bot overestimated its chances because the Belgics had the Balearic Slingers that let them double losses on one battle, and the Belgics struck first again.

T-Bone posted:

Yeah I could see spreading out to raid with full commands + huge rallies in Vercengetorix dominated areas with limited command on 2nd eligibility working well.

You can also be really annoying with Devastate while you're at it. It doesn't see that much in solitaire but the potential for loving with human opponents is huge.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 17, 2017

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I would absolutely love to play a game of Falling Sky against actual human opponents and am deeply envious of you.

I've also seen Rome-bot accidentally suicide it's troops against an opponent, but only when they have more than six legions on the board because the bot does some stupid stuff when that happens. I'm just wondering how you kept the Belgians from winning as the Aedui because there really isn't much you can do against them.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Ithle01 posted:

I would absolutely love to play a game of Falling Sky against actual human opponents and am deeply envious of you.

I've also seen Rome-bot accidentally suicide it's troops against an opponent, but only when they have more than six legions on the board because the bot does some stupid stuff when that happens. I'm just wondering how you kept the Belgians from winning as the Aedui because there really isn't much you can do against them.

The Belgibot seems really eager to rally more warbands to its doomstack, but only reluctantly sends warbands out of Belgica. I suborned all the Belgic tribes outside of their home region, and near the end I sent a few guys in to contest control of one region while I sent a few warbands to distract their doomstack. Belgium ended with 7 allies + 5 control, I believe.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Ithle01 posted:

The one time I beat all the bots as Aedui, I had to infiltrate the entire West including Britannia, which I managed to grab late in the game while the Belgae were tangling with Rome in the East. The final score was -1 to -2 to -2 to -3.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Plus the Aedui getting Convictolitavis is like the hockey goon getting his dominant arm untangled from his jersey in a fight.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Pulled the trigger on Yanks and Reluctant Enemies II from my sooper sekrit source (might be Cool Corn's secret source I don't remember)

I'm kinda wanting to try out RE with the dad and see if he likes it, then maybe set up a bigger OCS as a "let's do a few turns a weekend" kind of thing.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Reluctant enemies II? :crossarms:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tekopo posted:

Reluctant enemies II? :crossarms:

I think its an OCS thing.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

lol I mean Reluctant Enemies... had Guderian's Blitzkrieg II and Tunisia II on the brain as I was considering those, as well.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I think its an OCS thing.
I don't know if this is :thejoke:, but there isn't a Reluctant Enemies II, just Reluctant Enemies.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Yeah, just a brain fart on my end

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
OCS is real fuckin' good

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I got C3i 30, with the new flowcharts for ADP bots. Will post a trip report when I get around to playing solitaire.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
I've promised myself no more OCS until I actually get Tunisia II or TBL played.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

tomdidiot posted:

I've promised myself no more OCS until I actually get Tunisia II or TBL played.

TBL is insanely good, even though it's not OCS. It streamlines some of the annoying things about OCS and I can't wait for Baptism By Fire, the BCS game about Kasserine.

Edit whoops I was thinking TLB not TBL

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
I mean, TBL is very unlike other OCS games in that it's a campaign in a ridiculously short timeframe. It's also probably the one where the historical result is really really hard to pul off because the French player is not Gamelin and not a massive idiot.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm trying to design a wargame based around Sun Tzu's writing and literally every avenue leads to Napoleon's Triumph. 2,000 years ago this general was actually describing the best game no one has copied.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

al-azad posted:

I'm trying to design a wargame based around Sun Tzu's writing and literally every avenue leads to Napoleon's Triumph. 2,000 years ago this general was actually describing the best game no one has copied.

...can I post that in the NT bgg forums? That is an amazing statement.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

silvergoose posted:

...can I post that in the NT bgg forums? That is an amazing statement.

Sure. And I'm being serious too, The Art of War is written like a wargame manual and my mental visualization is a Simmons game.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

al-azad posted:

Sure. And I'm being serious too, The Art of War is written like a wargame manual and my mental visualization is a Simmons game.

I could tell, that's what made the comment so incredible.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

al-azad posted:

I'd love to see a mix of Guns of Gettysburg's variability with NT's relative simplicity.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

You guys make me really really want to try Napoleon's Triumph, but it's way too pricey to buy just to try. It makes me want to do something crazy like cut up a whole bunch of wooden sticks and spray paint them...

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Panzeh posted:

I'd love to see a mix of Guns of Gettysburg's variability with NT's relative simplicity.

GoG is actually what got my gears turning. I was playing the battle of Sekigahara in Kessen, this big cluster gently caress of a battle that the game treats like a soap opera. You had lords watching from the hills to see who had a chance of winning, guys who could've swung the whole battle if they didn't show up late, and dudes just miles away getting swept up in their own battles. GoG's system of reinforcements/rumors was totally meant for that. And nobody has copied these games but I'll let you know you have my $100 if you do it right.

CommonShore posted:

You guys make me really really want to try Napoleon's Triumph, but it's way too pricey to buy just to try. It makes me want to do something crazy like cut up a whole bunch of wooden sticks and spray paint them...

I'm not as deep into it but Guns of Gettysburg has a lot of the spirit but with a smaller army and you have an extra dose of randomness in the form of tokens that can be expelled to perform better. It's not as pure, and just a little less accessible because of it, but it's also half the price.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 21, 2017

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Finally decided to sit down and learn my way through Comancheria: first thoughts is that it's a very technical game and I actually think that knowing Navajo Wars is a detriment since so many of the fundemental mechanisms have changed. Overall though, I like it: the way you handle warbands and rancherias is better than the way families were handled, but there are a lot more step by step instructions that you have to go through. I also like how the game is a much more aggressive game, and you start off as new comers and expand out instead of being pretty much established in the region like the Navajo were. Can't wait to give a proper go at it.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Tekopo posted:

I also like how the game is a much more aggressive game, and you start off as new comers and expand out instead of being pretty much established in the region like the Navajo were.

I read somewhere that "Comanche" was the name given to the newly formed group by other tribes and that it meant "the people who always want to fight us".

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Ute gave them that name because for a century or so the Nermernuh were the only regional tribe with horses. I can't imagine how much it sucked living in flat plains and being unable to do anything about these guys who move five times faster than you.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I got C3i 30, with the new flowcharts for ADP bots. Will post a trip report when I get around to playing solitaire.

Played the long scenario (6 campaigns) as the Warlords, which is supported by the new charts. I won by the skin of my teeth, but I think I screwed up enough rules that it doesn't matter too much. The updated charts are easier to run and seem to make better decisions most of the time, though Govt sure likes to Patrol ineffectively. I played most of this game in one sitting and feel kind of dead now, but I am looking forward to seeing if Govt is fun to play or a bust like ARVN.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

...though Govt sure likes to Patrol ineffectively.
Oh, so it's true to life, then. Bravo.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Picking up Guderian's Blitzkrieg II for $25 yessssss

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

COOL CORN posted:

Picking up Guderian's Blitzkrieg II for $25 yessssss

wtf
where from?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

tomdidiot posted:

wtf
where from?

Second hand from a guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Played Comancheria for real this time and I lost after losing 3 2 strength bands due to two disease cards in a row :(

The game is really good and I have to agree that it is a better game system than Navajo Wars.