Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Speaking of LB's, was it just my PS4 or did other people get the occasional graphic glitches from Ignis's first limit break? Like texture breaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Speaking of LB's, was it just my PS4 or did other people get the occasional graphic glitches from Ignis's first limit break? Like texture breaking.

I get a bunch of white squares popping up when I start a number of techs.

Does anyone know how the Choco/Mog festival is going to work? I really hope it's not going to be a real-world-limited-time thing, because that seems pointless for a single-player game.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The weird texture/white squares thing seems to be some sort of memory leak type thing. It happens when you've had the game running for too long, try saving, quitting the game entirely and relaunching. First time it happened to me I thought about it and realized I hadn't actually quit the game in like 15 hours of play (putting the PS4 in rest mode doesn't count as quitting the game).

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Paracelsus posted:

hope it's not going to be a real-world-limited-time thing

Almost guaranteed honestly, it looks like they're running this like an FF11/FF14 event.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Almost guaranteed honestly, it looks like they're running this like an FF11/FF14 event.

I mean, carnivals don't last forever.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Noctis has time powers, however.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
don't sell anything not because it'll be used in the game but because it can probably make a kick rear end spell ingredient, unless it has misfire etc, then feel free to sell.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So i just beat the game and i have to say That certainly was an experience, Chapter 13 was kind of a slog but i was expecting that, everything past that though was pretty drat awesome. The music,the tone,the atmosphere of the hosed up world was great, even if you didn't get to do anything in it at all.Just kinda wish there was more a build up to this in the story instead of just kinda...getting there i guess? The final boss was kinda annoying with his warp strikes and a bit of tension was gone simply because 1 on 1 fighting in a game where you can go invincible on a whim for basically no cost kinda felt like cheating.

My only regret is that i wish i had picked a funnier picture.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SectumSempra posted:

don't sell anything not because it'll be used in the game but because it can probably make a kick rear end spell ingredient, unless it has misfire etc, then feel free to sell.

I'm at the point where I can farm Zu Beaks and I went back and sold pretty much every treasure because of this, it crafts Limit Break magic.

In case people don't know:

Take the Zu hunt in Rock of Ravatagh
Camp out at the summit right before the Zu
Kill it
Open the Map > Return to Entrance
Open the Map > Return to Camp

Zu is back, kill it again.

It either drops 3 Zu Beaks or zu meat, if you're 99 and using Bow+overwhelm it goes down in a minute or so. For me so far it drops 3 Zu Beaks the majority of the time and between the loading and running you can have 999 potency flare in less than an hour

Also, sell old accessories. Nobody is gonna use that +40 attack item and it just makes it harder to scroll through your menus. My favorite time to sell accessories is when I'm driving around in the car :v: would rather look at a BUY SELL menu for 2 minutes then sit through a 2 minute load screen

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I bought the skill that makes Link Strikes break damage limit, and holy poo poo ya'll. Waltzed through Crestholm menace without using a single healing item. I'm assuming Costlemark is significantly harder? I bought the skill that heals full hp when bringing an ally out of danger, anything else I will need? This one guy suggested getting three Wind-Up Lord Vexxos to make ultimate magic with but lmao I got one and it took a long time and gently caress that poo poo.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

bizarre deformity posted:

I bought the skill that makes Link Strikes break damage limit, and holy poo poo ya'll. Waltzed through Crestholm menace without using a single healing item. I'm assuming Costlemark is significantly harder? I bought the skill that heals full hp when bringing an ally out of danger, anything else I will need? This one guy suggested getting three Wind-Up Lord Vexxos to make ultimate magic with but lmao I got one and it took a long time and gently caress that poo poo.

You can't use items in Costlemark menace. If you enter Danger state, unless you have a Regroup lined up or the stars align and the AI actually revives you, it's a game over. The only ways to heal reduction in max HP are either resting at a campfire or casting a Healcast spell, and the companion AI is very bad at deciding when to do that (they'll only cast it at the end of a fight right before you reach a campfire). Many of the fights in there are really, really nasty, and will absolutely murder your max HP if you don't end them quickly, and the best way to do that is limit-broken magic. You might want to consider farming Zu Beaks if you're not going for the wind up Zexxos, but you'll need a ton of beaks.

Steyliff menace is longer (100 floors instead of 60), but a lot more manageable.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I already did Steyliff, Costlemark is pretty much the last thing I need to do in the game (before Tuesday)

EDIT: what does leveling up Regroup do?

bobmcdynamite
Sep 6, 2011

bizarre deformity posted:

Healcasts, zwill crossblades, golden tail soup, and glitching Aranea into the group made it fairly easy for me. Just don't forget to put on the safety bit when the elder coeurls pop up.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Sometimes I'd hit 9999 with royal shield. Idk why damage caps are even in games

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Sometimes I'd hit 9999 with royal shield. Idk why damage caps are even in games

I'd bet in the case of FF it's just legacy poo poo at this point.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I was really struggling with a group of Coeurls the other day, the fight was taking ages and every now and then I'd check how much HP they had left and they always seemed to be back up to the full 35000 HP. Do they heal themselves regularly or something like that? I couldn't really tell what was happening as the fight was in a forest so I couldn't see what was happening.

I doubt they'll be a problem next time I fight them since I used Expericast to go from level 40 to 80, I was quite impressed with how well that worked and how simple it was.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I have over a hundred loving hours in this game and I only just now found out you can hold square to counter attacks. I thought you had to tap it with precise timing. :suicide:

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Marmaduke! posted:

I was really struggling with a group of Coeurls the other day, the fight was taking ages and every now and then I'd check how much HP they had left and they always seemed to be back up to the full 35000 HP. Do they heal themselves regularly or something like that? I couldn't really tell what was happening as the fight was in a forest so I couldn't see what was happening.

I doubt they'll be a problem next time I fight them since I used Expericast to go from level 40 to 80, I was quite impressed with how well that worked and how simple it was.

They run to the edge of the battle and rest up. If you try to hit them with melee they will insta-kill you. I found this out when I ran into a dead end and got jumped by like 6 of them. I had trouble just escaping because you have to run by the resting ones, which would then insta-kill you for breathing the same air. I hate coeurls and I am glad I got my whisker from an easier fight earlier on. It was just 2 coeurls probably in the same forested area.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

CodfishCartographer posted:

I have over a hundred loving hours in this game and I only just now found out you can hold square to counter attacks. I thought you had to tap it with precise timing. :suicide:

I'm only 30ish hours or so in but thanks for this!

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

I beat the game and did not know this. damnit.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

The second control option makes it easier to hold L1 to block while attacking. I wonder if that's people's issues with the combat in this.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

:cripes:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Now it makes sense why so many people said they had difficulty with the regular Tonberry group encounters.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Guarding and parrying was one of the first things I had learned when I was installing this game and playing around with the small demo arena. Still needed someone to point it out to me. After that I recognized all of the prompts of "Hold this button" instead of just pressing it.

Still ended up going through the tutorial anyway.

And about Tonberries, I just instinctually run the gently caress away from them.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

InfinityComplex posted:

And about Tonberries, I just instinctually run the gently caress away from them.

That's what I would do. Run, let the boyfriends take care of them, throw magic. Sometimes warp strike to finish one off and get AP. I never had trouble with them despite not knowing the hold (not tap) to parry.

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

So I'm currently in Chapter 5 (just started) and I'm trying to get back to Hammerhead to finish some side quests I forgot but have a few problems.

1. I don't have the Regalia (I'm assuming it returns soon)
2. I can't get past all these road blocks, so I can't even ride a chocobo back to Hammerhead?

Am I missing some kind of teleporting thing or something? It's kind of frustrating not being able to travel back to places I've been or is this only a temporary blockade?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Cloud the Cat posted:

So I'm currently in Chapter 5 (just started) and I'm trying to get back to Hammerhead to finish some side quests I forgot but have a few problems.

2. I can't get past all these road blocks, so I can't even ride a chocobo back to Hammerhead?

Am I missing some kind of teleporting thing or something? It's kind of frustrating not being able to travel back to places I've been or is this only a temporary blockade?

The blockade is a chapter 5 only thing.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

it's temporary. just do the main quest for now.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

InfinityComplex posted:

Guarding and parrying was one of the first things I had learned when I was installing this game and playing around with the small demo arena. Still needed someone to point it out to me. After that I recognized all of the prompts of "Hold this button" instead of just pressing it.

Still ended up going through the tutorial anyway.

Yeah the press vs hold button prompt could have definitely been made clearer

Cloud the Cat posted:

Yeah just go til you get your car again, then you can finish all that crap

Hoffadoff
Sep 27, 2008

I Wanna Rock Your Body
(till the break of dawn)
So gently caress the pitioss dungeon and gently caress this game. I made it all the way to the end of that stupid loving dungeon and fell in the last room and now it starts me off back at the beginning with no loving short cuts back to where I was.

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

Thanks all!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Is it confirmed anywhere that (ending spoiler) the bros and Noctis are all killed at the end? My wife thinks they were just knocked out by Ardyn, but I think they are dead

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

Is it confirmed anywhere that (ending spoiler) the bros and Noctis are all killed at the end? My wife thinks they were just knocked out by Ardyn, but I think they are dead

The bros are left ambiguous. Noctis is dead as hell.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

SalTheBard posted:

Uh, isn't there a literal scene afterwards that Ardyn boss battle of them talking to each other? Now whether they die on that last stand, who knows but Ardyn didn't kill them.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Tae posted:

Uh, isn't there a literal scene afterwards that Ardyn boss battle of them talking to each other? Now whether they die on that last stand, who knows but Ardyn didn't kill them.

about that end scene
That scene of the boyfriends around the campfire, from what I got, is before they went to confront Ardyn in Crown City. It was to cement the feels by showing that Noct wanted to say something to the boyfriends about how amazing they have been. Kind of a last hurrah. And now that I think about it, the scene where they banish him from the crystal makes more sense if they are all dead. They showed pretty much everyone that had died during the game and the boyfriends were there too. Which now makes me even more sad.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

SalTheBard posted:

I think they were just knocked out by Ardyn

It's sad enough this way!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Since it's a Jesus metaphor they're all fine.

Yeah, Noctis and everyone died, but the magic crystal covenant or whatever meant that things are fixed afterwards through the magic power of crystals and friendship.

Because literally everyone else has been demonized outside of the people living In Lestallum, a smallish town with electricity and the means to repel the airborne contaminants.

Otherwise things are hosed and it doesn't matter if Noctis fixed anything or not. But they have a happy afterlife.

It's an open ended miracle thing, like the original ending to FF VII before Advent Children spelled it out.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 23, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

cancerianmoth posted:

about that end scene
That scene of the boyfriends around the campfire, from what I got, is before they went to confront Ardyn in Crown City. It was to cement the feels by showing that Noct wanted to say something to the boyfriends about how amazing they have been. Kind of a last hurrah. And now that I think about it, the scene where they banish him from the crystal makes more sense if they are all dead. They showed pretty much everyone that had died during the game and the boyfriends were there too. Which now makes me even more sad.

No, I'm talking about the scene where the 3 guys have a last stand against Iron Giants while Noctis goes up and Knights of the Round himself

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Didn't any of you do the tutorial? It took like five minutes and explained blocking and how the color of your damage denotes weak/resist. Pretty invaluable information right there.

Ya'll knew that you could put the game on Wait Mode and scan enemies for their weaknesses with R1, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Some Squenix person said on record that they left the very ending unresolved on purpose. Whatever you wanted to happen is what happened.

The sun rising on the empty chairs where the four bros last camped seems like a pretty clear symbol that they're all dead though.

• Locked thread