Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Rocksicles posted:

Poor Tahani :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Haha jesus, I'm starting to realize just how well-tailored season 1 is for a re-watch.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

Haha jesus, I'm starting to realize just how well-tailored season 1 is for a re-watch.

It's pretty perfect for re-watch. I've been going through it today after having watched the finale and it takes on a totally different context knowing what we know now. Everything is perfectly tailored to make Chidi, Tahani, Jianyu, and Eleanor miserable.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
His name is Jason, jeez.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

His name is Jason, jeez.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
They're not the same kind of show, but I've been thinking about how WESTWORLD and THE GOOD PLACE handled their respective twists, and it's kind of amazing how amateurish WESTWORLD looked in comparison. There's one major twist that the show delivers, except everyone knew way in advance, and it takes one character delivering a lengthy monologue complete with flashbacks to tell you something that most people already knew. THE GOOD PLACE does it with one smile from Ted Danson.

I think it's because WESTWORLD is partly interested in telling a story and partly "Look how much we're teasing you, have you figured it all out yet?". It tries to play the audience, which only really works when the audience is fooled. Not when people figure out something by episode 3 that the show reveals in episode 10 with a limp "Ta Da!". THE GOOD PLACE relegates it to the background so when it comes, there isn't reams of people going "called it!". I think even the people who guessed it were still surprised when it actually happened, mainly because the show does a great job of sleight of hand.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I just started watching this show this week. Boy did I choose a good time. This is a fantastic show top to bottom. Such great casting, and it looks like its just going to get better from here.

While it's on hiatus: "I'll miss you, you sexy skyscraper"

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

In rewatching, the flirting with Tahani has also been pretty rampant since day one.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

I literally watched the entire show yesterday instead of doing something useful with my saturday and I don't regret it. It was so good. They managed to constantly go to new places in the concept, the plotting was propulsive (I swear every episode ended on a cliffhanger), the characters were all interesting and the comedy was really good as well. That they managed to pull this twist off is insane.

For next season (I hope it gets renewed) I'll be really interested to see where they take Michael's character. His evil turn was really well done but I got genuinely bummed out because I'd liked him so much previously. I kind of hope they keep some of his personality traits despite being a dick. Like he genuinely is a nerd for paperclips, just also an rear end in a top hat.

MVP has to go to D'Arcy Carden as Janet. It's amazing she was able to maintain the balance of being genuinely in love with Jason while always coming off as something distinctly alien.

Edit quote:

Patrovsky posted:

In rewatching, the flirting with Tahani has also been pretty rampant since day one.

https://twitter.com/nbcthegoodplace/status/822261589004795904

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope they pair off Eleanor and Tahani as soul mates next season, it'll be like the odd couple.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ha it just occurred to me that Real Eleanor convincing Eleanor she was in love with Chidi was yet another way to make them miserable.

I really gotta rewatch

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Watch Ted Danson's face when he tells Eleanor she's in the good place.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DrVenkman posted:

They're not the same kind of show, but I've been thinking about how WESTWORLD and THE GOOD PLACE handled their respective twists, and it's kind of amazing how amateurish WESTWORLD looked in comparison. There's one major twist that the show delivers, except everyone knew way in advance, and it takes one character delivering a lengthy monologue complete with flashbacks to tell you something that most people already knew. THE GOOD PLACE does it with one smile from Ted Danson.

I didn't want to be the first one to make that comparison so thanks for taking one for the team. :)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've seen that point made in a bunch of other places.

(and I agree)

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Rocksicles posted:

Watch Ted Danson's face when he tells Eleanor she's in the good place.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

precision posted:

I didn't want to be the first one to make that comparison so thanks for taking one for the team. :)

Come on. West world just had basically one of the best first seasons of any tv show, and so did the Good place. We don't have to compare them like that.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I think I was assuming that all Good Places, and by extension Bad Places, are roughly the same in population: a hundred or so people are present. In that context, this particular Bad Place would seem immensely inefficient, taking care of only four people.

But, maybe Bad Places only have a small number of people. There's no reason to think that there's a mirror universe Good Place where a hundred or so bad people are tortured for eternity, because the only Good Place we've ever seen is really a Bad Place, and everything we know about Good and Bad Places was told to us by a lying liar who lies.

So maybe Michael's bold new plan for a Bad Place--a fake Good Place--is handling the right number of people, and the inclusion of so many extras was done just to provide some recreation for the architects who otherwise spend all of eternity planning the eternity of bad people. Even if the population of 4 is too small, it could be a proof-of-concept project, something to be scaled up later.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The boss commented on a few occasions that all that work for 4 people seemed wasteful. This was just for fun

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Azhais posted:

The boss commented on a few occasions that all that work for 4 people seemed wasteful. This was just for fun

True. But maybe the waste wasn't so much about the number of people tortured, but the fact that instead of just designing a quick, efficient, and otherwise standard torture chamber, he was engineering an entire fake Good Place that required the participation of dozens of architects (or whatever they are). Regular Bad Places might only take a handful of demons to manage four people, or even just one.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

tarlibone posted:

True. But maybe the waste wasn't so much about the number of people tortured, but the fact that instead of just designing a quick, efficient, and otherwise standard torture chamber, he was engineering an entire fake Good Place that required the participation of dozens of architects (or whatever they are). Regular Bad Places might only take a handful of demons to manage four people, or even just one.

In fairness, being immortal has got to be pretty boring. I imagine the temptation to spice up your eternal torture routine must be pretty strong, even if the results are dreadfully inefficient.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LionArcher posted:

Come on. West world just had basically one of the best first seasons of any tv show, and so did the Good place. We don't have to compare them like that.

We don't have to do anything, but it's fun.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is Westworld really going to be known as one of the. best first seasons of all time a few years from now? I hope not.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Yeah it definitely was not.

This show, on the other hand, is certainly a contender for the title.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Just because there is a Good Place and a Bad Place doesn't mean that they're not both run by the same company. Remember, a lot of human assumptions about the afterlife are wrong, according to that one stoner.

Lots of places for this show to go.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Just because there is a Good Place and a Bad Place doesn't mean that they're not both run by the same company. Remember, a lot of human assumptions about the afterlife are wrong, according to that one stoner.
...who was a prop created by Michael.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We don't know yet what is and isn't true about what Michael said (although I'm assuming the real Good Place doesn't have fro-yo) and won't for a while. But I really hope the stoner kid thing is real.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
That's what I love, we literally have no idea because we're relying on unreliable narrators for what the rules of the afterlife even are.

As long as we get more scenes like this, I'll be happy:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
.....yeah I'ma rewatch this season very soon

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

pwn posted:

...who was a prop created by Michael.

... maybe was a prop created by Michael. What if that kid was right about the Good Place/Bad Place schema?

Why tell a lie when the truth will do and is less effort?

We don't know the full picture for sure yet. It could go either way.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm not a huge fan of Westworld (it was good, and pretty, and kind of interesting, but I didn't love it) but it doesn't seem super fair to me make the comparison we're making. Westworld had viewers buzzing about its mystery and asking questions from the beginning. Sure, it teased that and encouraged it but that's the sort of show it was so people were on the watch all along. Part of what made the Good Place's finale twist so good is that it was genuinely shocking because for the most part we weren't looking for it. Most of us had just accepted that this was the Good Place and the scenario presented was the real one. So when Eleanor comes out with that theory and Michael confirms its its a real "WHAT THE gently caress?!" moment.

Good Place did a great job with it because its one of those twists that (a) you didn't see coming, (b) you weren't looking for, and (c) makes complete sense the more you think about it and go back over the season. But that poo poo is hard to do if people are looking for it like with Westworld. Everyone's looking for a twist so there's no way to surprise them, they've been guessing at it all season so the odds are some people got the right answer and its been discussed, and if you laid enough foreshadowing and groundwork to make it all make sense in retrospect than you're just giving more clues for people to guess it ahead of time and not be surprised.

So like, now we're all thinking about it and S2 is going to be filled with people analyzing poo poo and speculating about poo poo and trying to figure out what the next big twist is. That's going to make it way harder for The Good Place to shock us, but its the deal Westworld was dealing with from the start.

FoxTerrier posted:

In fairness, being immortal has got to be pretty boring. I imagine the temptation to spice up your eternal torture routine must be pretty strong, even if the results are dreadfully inefficient.

That seemed to be the gist of the pitch.

Sean: I don't know, this seems really wasteful.
Michael: But this is so boring! Come on!
Sean: Ok, whatever.

Plus, there's no real indication that "inefficient" and "wasteful" actually means anything in the afterlife. Like, I don't think we got some clue that they're all on some budget by some supreme being or have a finite number of resources. I kind of like to imagine that the Michael/Sean give and take about "wastefulness" is really just that the "demons" are all nitpicky, cynical, middle management assholes. Sean lets Michael do this because "whatever" and if he fails he'll punish him because "whatever." Its all Hell.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

STAC Goat posted:

Plus, there's no real indication that "inefficient" and "wasteful" actually means anything in the afterlife. Like, I don't think we got some clue that they're all on some budget by some supreme being or have a finite number of resources. I kind of like to imagine that the Michael/Sean give and take about "wastefulness" is really just that the "demons" are all nitpicky, cynical, middle management assholes. Sean lets Michael do this because "whatever" and if he fails he'll punish him because "whatever." Its all Hell.

The assumption I'm going with is that Micheal and the others feed off some kind of soul-based emotional energy and The Good Place, The Medium Place and The Bad Place are metaphysical power plants.

But making predictions about this show is pointless at this stage :v:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Gluten Freeman posted:

Yeah it definitely was not.

This show, on the other hand, is certainly a contender for the title.

Yeah for sure. Every new scripted television drama is now "one of the best shows ever." They are being way too overvalued.
Which is kinda a shame because like scripted comedy is what is really actually killing it right now, like I would say Review would be another contender for best first season. But since its a comedy people just treat it in a different way.

What I am hoping for in season 2 is for them to almost take a Truman Show esque approach. Where we still stick with the main four, but we start seeing the behind the scenes of them running the Good Place and coming up with plans to make their lives miserable. Which we kinda got with the flashback that show the couple coming up with their swinging idea. It would be fun to just see angel/demon things brainstorm dumb ways to make their lives suck and implement them.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Westworld wasn't even the best tv show Vader on Westworld.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Snooze Cruise posted:

Yeah for sure. Every new scripted television drama is now "one of the best shows ever." They are being way too overvalued.
Which is kinda a shame because like scripted comedy is what is really actually killing it right now, like I would say Review would be another contender for best first season. But since its a comedy people just treat it in a different way.

What I am hoping for in season 2 is for them to almost take a Truman Show esque approach. Where we still stick with the main four, but we start seeing the behind the scenes of them running the Good Place and coming up with plans to make their lives miserable. Which we kinda got with the flashback that show the couple coming up with their swinging idea. It would be fun to just see angel/demon things brainstorm dumb ways to make their lives suck and implement them.

dear lord yes. Now that we know it's all a show, we can see behind the scenes. The one big flaw of The Good Place to this point, which now I realize was obviously by design, was that it didn't have much of a set of recurring side characters. If the show explores the inner workings of Michael's "Good Place 2.0", it would be cool to see some of his confederates at work. Maybe bring Adam Scott back, as well? I am a bit curious what Michael's new plan is. It still has to involve the four inadvertently torturing each other. but now they're not immediately pushed together? What's his play?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

STAC Goat posted:

I'm not a huge fan of Westworld (it was good, and pretty, and kind of interesting, but I didn't love it) but it doesn't seem super fair to me make the comparison we're making. Westworld had viewers buzzing about its mystery and asking questions from the beginning. Sure, it teased that and encouraged it but that's the sort of show it was so people were on the watch all along. Part of what made the Good Place's finale twist so good is that it was genuinely shocking because for the most part we weren't looking for it. Most of us had just accepted that this was the Good Place and the scenario presented was the real one. So when Eleanor comes out with that theory and Michael confirms its its a real "WHAT THE gently caress?!" moment.

Good Place did a great job with it because its one of those twists that (a) you didn't see coming, (b) you weren't looking for, and (c) makes complete sense the more you think about it and go back over the season. But that poo poo is hard to do if people are looking for it like with Westworld. Everyone's looking for a twist so there's no way to surprise them, they've been guessing at it all season so the odds are some people got the right answer and its been discussed, and if you laid enough foreshadowing and groundwork to make it all make sense in retrospect than you're just giving more clues for people to guess it ahead of time and not be surprised.

So like, now we're all thinking about it and S2 is going to be filled with people analyzing poo poo and speculating about poo poo and trying to figure out what the next big twist is. That's going to make it way harder for The Good Place to shock us, but its the deal Westworld was dealing with from the start.

This is all absolutely true, and part of what made the twist so effective -- you don't expect that kind of twist in a sitcom, even a high-concept one like The Good Place, whereas Westworld was explicitly marketed as and presented as one of those mystery box shows, so people scoured it for clues immediately. Next season of The Good Place is going to be very, very interesting! I wonder how long they'll stick with the "reboot" versions of all the characters -- I imagine it won't be long purely because this first season had such a brisk pace.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm curious about how much of any of it was true. Didn't Michael show Eleanor hanging out in refugee shelters this time around? Was everything about them made up entirely?

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Azhais posted:

I'm curious about how much of any of it was true. Didn't Michael show Eleanor hanging out in refugee shelters this time around? Was everything about them made up entirely?

He showed her that the first time too. It looks like he's running the same game on Eleanor he just swapped the mailman for Chidi.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Spatula City posted:

dear lord yes. Now that we know it's all a show, we can see behind the scenes. The one big flaw of The Good Place to this point, which now I realize was obviously by design, was that it didn't have much of a set of recurring side characters. If the show explores the inner workings of Michael's "Good Place 2.0", it would be cool to see some of his confederates at work. Maybe bring Adam Scott back, as well? I am a bit curious what Michael's new plan is. It still has to involve the four inadvertently torturing each other. but now they're not immediately pushed together? What's his play?

I mean they have the perfect opportunity to take it in that direction too with new characters like the mailman coming into play.

Trevor is now a really interesting character because we have no idea what his deal is. Does he actually have some sort of leadership position? Or is he just some lowly demon dude who enjoys acting which is why he showed up when he did and in that video.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

STAC Goat posted:

Westworld had viewers buzzing about its mystery and asking questions from the beginning.

...and this show didn't? :confused:

I was wondering about the mysteries and "rules" and possible twists from jump street, and I'm pretty sure lots of others were too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't think that many people were actively questioning the premise, is what he means. It definitely didn't dominate discussion in any way like how the WW thread became unbearable. Like someone mentioned, most of us (including me) just accepted that it was the Good Place and that Michael was telling the truth from the go and never wavered until the twist was revealed.

• Locked thread