Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The Atari 8-bit series, besides the crippled 400, was actually pretty darn good for 70s/early 80s arcade ports to be honest - especially in comparison to the sort of experience you'd get on a 2600/Intellivision or the limited selection on the Colecovision. Even better when you include all the unofficial ports.

It helped a lot that it had a fairly large color palette and resolution for its time, and especially in comparison to like the C64 or Apple II.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It was on mine!

and yeah, some of Natsume's Power Rangers games share similarities with other games they made, like Endless Duel and Ninja Warriors.

Ivan Ooze is completely broken in that fighting game, by the way. Karai from TMNT is pretty ridiculous as well.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

d0s posted:

The arcade one developed by gazelle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EizPltEFypw

drat, Usagi has some sick moves. I don't remember her doing any of that in the anime.

Sounds like your invitation to more plug and play garbage "programmed" by AT Games.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. Dos posted:

I had the same issues early on. I think printing out the map and marking off dead ends with what item you'd need would probably help a lot. I stuck with it for a bit (you get high jump boots before bombs), and once you get an e-tank you become much less vulnerable. I'm not sure if I'm going to bother going back to it though. It's very difficult to tell where you should be going next or if you've completely explored a section.

Super Metroid does a nicer job of letting the player know they can't proceed down a branch early on, with Rogue Dawn it seems like you explore a dozen map tiles before being sure you're supposed to have the ice beam or something.

Can you point me to the right direction for the hi-jump boots (this is assuming I can get it with just missiles) using that map so I could at least try to work my way a bit further?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

univbee posted:

Apparently it might be a watch. I hope it has a reproduction of the Atari joystick.

I doubt it'd be something portable. If the main draw was going to be playing on the toilet you could already do that with the Jaguar.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Star Man posted:

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: the Fighting Edition is a pretty okay licensed IP game.

I remember liking this, though I only ever played it at a friend's house. I had the Genesis game, which was also a fighting game. It's probably not worth playing these days, but it was good enough to not disappoint me at the height of my Power Rangers obsession. Even then I knew the original SNES title was awful, though.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Genesis fighting game was by Banpresto, and is a-ok. Decent music, good variety of attacks, etc.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I doubt it'd be something portable. If the main draw was going to be playing on the toilet you could already do that with the Jaguar.

:golfclap:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Not sure if it was previously mentioned as it's old news, but Shovel Knight went through some interesting "for shits and giggles" tweaks for its "reverse" localization to Japanese (exclusive to Nintendo platforms at this time).

http://yachtclubgames.com/2016/07/japan-localization/

Playable in both Kanji (12x12 pixel font) and Kana (8x8 pixel font) modes, too.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Kthulhu5000 posted:

That black connector should be sync. I assume the connector block next to the BNC video connectors is some kind of audio breakout, which you might have to figure out how to adapt to a more common audio connector like headphone or RCA plugs if you want to hear audio.

From a few pages back, but these type of RCA adapters are on ebay really cheap (10 for $5 shipped from US seller) if anyone else needs to adapt wires from a phoenix connector (top, like Extron uses) to RCA. Or really just any wire to RCA.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

TeaJay posted:

Can you point me to the right direction for the hi-jump boots (this is assuming I can get it with just missiles) using that map so I could at least try to work my way a bit further?

It's in the underwater section. This shows the path leading up to it.

The lead hacker says version 1.20 is very close to release, and a lot of changes were made to make it more streamlined and less challenging:

quote:

Update 1.20 is getting close. I've been actively reworking the trouble spots in the level design. I've been listening carefully to all the feedback and weighing my original intentions against the experiences of actual players to see if the intended result was achieved.

Highlights:

Some trouble spots were brought to light in a few locations including the bug hive and the scrolling lava pit puzzle in the area adjacent to the final area. Those have been reworked to eliminate the confusion.

Other level design changes include removing some of the one way passages that drop you back a few screens and just make you have to work your way back. It created an unexpected maze like feel to certain areas and unintended confusion.

Some needlessly difficult spots have been toned down a bit including eliminating the long fall drop shafts in the final area. The final area has been looked over to improve playability.

Some platforms have been reworked where slopes at key jump locations were making jumping difficult. Other changes to improve navigating in tight spots have been made.

An alternate route to the Science Ship boss has been added. The original route remains and is now more of a shortcut. The new route is more intuitive. The Science Ship is going to be fully mapped now as well.

New hidden features have been added. Additional shortcuts and alternate routes have been added. I was impressed by some of the exploits I saw in some of the YouTube videos I watched so I accommodated them in a few spots. It's possible to break the sequence of item acquisition. I'm interested to see who can figure out how to do it first :)

Snarfblam is working on making the starting health always 99 rather than 30. Also all heal stations will replenish missiles as well. :thumbsup:

Lots of other improvements that will be listed in the change log!

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I was able to find buyers for most of my games (working on consoles still), and I made this thing in my spare time

I got this dendy console from a secret santa and shoved an rpi3 in there. Genesis controllers work on the front (it was originally genesis shaped famiclone controllers), power switch works, reset and the OLED in the cartridge will work soonish.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

TeaJay posted:

I believe it was in the water area you can get to. There's a passage that I thought you needed bombs for, but you just shoot a block from a lower part of the screen. Other than that I already forget everything, whoops

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I don't have a PS4, but I've had occasion to browse through that section of the PS store recently and I'd forgotten about/missed how many cool games HAMSTER has put out under the Arcade Archives banner. Gradius II, Bubble Bobble, and the arcade version of Super Dodge Ball with the weird size discrepancy between team captains and the rest of the players were all surprises to me. I miss the days of all those 20+ game retro collections coming out, and these are quite a bit more money per game, but if the emulating job is less slapdash then some of these are definitely still worth it. Anyone taken the plunge?

Also they're apparently continuing this banner on the Switch, and Waku Waku 7 is coming.

Arcade games on Wii Virtual Console was such a disappointment, I feel like this is going much better.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I was able to find buyers for most of my games (working on consoles still), and I made this thing in my spare time

I got this dendy console from a secret santa and shoved an rpi3 in there. Genesis controllers work on the front (it was originally genesis shaped famiclone controllers), power switch works, reset and the OLED in the cartridge will work soonish.

How did you do the power? Wired up to send a signal through the gpio pins to trigger a script to safe-shutdown the pi? I think that's how I'll do it for my NES retropie thing, that seems to be a common way people do it

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Discount Viscount posted:

I don't have a PS4, but I've had occasion to browse through that section of the PS store recently and I'd forgotten about/missed how many cool games HAMSTER has put out under the Arcade Archives banner. Gradius II, Bubble Bobble, and the arcade version of Super Dodge Ball with the weird size discrepancy between team captains and the rest of the players were all surprises to me. I miss the days of all those 20+ game retro collections coming out, and these are quite a bit more money per game, but if the emulating job is less slapdash then some of these are definitely still worth it. Anyone taken the plunge?

Also they're apparently continuing this banner on the Switch, and Waku Waku 7 is coming.

Arcade games on Wii Virtual Console was such a disappointment, I feel like this is going much better.

I play Terra Cresta all the goddamn time. Seems correct and legit. My only issue is the online high score table takes like 15 minutes to update. And that the game is a right dickhead. Like you can't much memorize patterns because most ships have 2-4 different possibilities based on your location or just the whims of fate. It's a good game but it's MEAN. And I think it is up there with Bloodborne as the game I play the most on it. Even though I have a pile of games. It's kind of the reason I haven't bought more of the titles. That and most of the big hitters I already have in a collection already and gently caress paying 7 bucks for games I already own. For ones I do not however it is a different story.

CMON GIVE ME DATA EAST ROBOCOP. AND THE KONAMI ALIENS GAME. All the Alien arcade games really but that one and GI Joe by Konami are like forgotten classics. I'd love the Cinematronics vector coin ops too. The ps4 Atari vector games look so goddamnned good.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Giant Bomb has a number of lengthy videos showcasing the Arcade Archives games, starting from before they escaped Japan. The gameplay skill showcased isn't exactly top of the heap, of course, but it should give you an idea of the feature set and emulation in these releases.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
Their trophies lists are incredibly anemic and few of the games even have skill based trophies - like most of them have bullshit like "you turned on the options menu" as a trophy.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Trophies don't matter, just putting that out there.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
You're right! Disregard my post.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Consolized Game Gear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSfDRy9oX8A

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Trophies are the only reason to play games. Do people actually play games cause they're "fun"?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

What the...

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Code Jockey posted:

How did you do the power? Wired up to send a signal through the gpio pins to trigger a script to safe-shutdown the pi? I think that's how I'll do it for my NES retropie thing, that seems to be a common way people do it

I bought a circuit from mausberry circuits that handles both startup and shutdown. It is plugged into gpio and put inline with the power

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

BisterdDave posted:

Trophies are the only reason to play games. Do people actually play games cause they're "fun"?

Ooo, what game is this? Never heard of it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

BisterdDave posted:

Personally I play games because of it fulfills my sado-masochist fetish.

Oh yeah, LJN, punish me harder!

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

The NA selection was piddly, sure, but I had Ghosts N Goblins and it seemed perfectly fine (minus the inherent input lag).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man I ordered my SD2SNES from GamerSection on the 13th and I haven't heard a peep out of them. They're literally 45 minutes away so it's obvious they haven't shipped anything yet. Going to call them tomorrow and if they haven't shipped I'm going to get it somewhere else. Any firsthand recommendations for other stores listed on the official dealer list? I picked gamersection because they were a local Canadian dealer but that seemed too good to be true so I'll be picking one up from Trumpland, I guess.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

If they're 45 minutes away why not just drive there?

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Impressed that they actually managed to make it bigger.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I picked up the Shooting Legends boxset off of PCE Works and than sent me Dungeon Master - Theron's Quest in a cardboard sleeve along with it. I don't know what I was expecting, but I had no idea Legend of Grimrock was basically just a remake of Dungeon Master. It has the same combat system, the same item system, the same "look for secrets" dungeon design, etc., so it's pretty dang good and the PCE dungeon master has some really nice music.

The boxset is good too, really high quality release overall. All of the games seem to take a while to load, but I'm not sure if that's all the audio and voicework or a sideffect of the new pressing.

One thing that worries me is the lack of PCE Works branding on things aside from the disc and manual; when it's open you can tell it's not a "legit" release, but shrinkwrapped it'd be pretty hard to tell it apart from the genuine article. Watch what you're buying if you see new or unopened stuff that also happens to be in their catalog.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 22, 2017

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

falz posted:

If they're 45 minutes away why not just drive there?

I don't think they're a real storefront.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Man I ordered my SD2SNES from GamerSection on the 13th and I haven't heard a peep out of them. They're literally 45 minutes away so it's obvious they haven't shipped anything yet. Going to call them tomorrow and if they haven't shipped I'm going to get it somewhere else. Any firsthand recommendations for other stores listed on the official dealer list? I picked gamersection because they were a local Canadian dealer but that seemed too good to be true so I'll be picking one up from Trumpland, I guess.

I got mine from retro gate but it took almost a month since I got it during their black Friday sale. On their site, I think it normally takes about 2 weeks. I know someone who ordered from Stone Age Gamer and got theirs within a week or two.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ok thanks, I guess I'll call them and maybe give them another week or so since it seems I might be in for a bit of a wait either way. Terrible customer communication though.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Martytoof posted:

I don't think they're a real storefront.

Still, I'd imagine that's easier than them shipping. Of course assuming they communicate w you beforehand.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Charles Get-Out posted:

I picked up the Shooting Legends boxset off of PCE Works and than sent me Dungeon Master - Theron's Quest in a cardboard sleeve along with it. I don't know what I was expecting, but I had no idea Legend of Grimrock was basically just a remake of Dungeon Master. It has the same combat system, the same item system, the same "look for secrets" dungeon design, etc., so it's pretty dang good and the PCE dungeon master has some really nice music.

The boxset is good too, really high quality release overall. All of the games seem to take a while to load, but I'm not sure if that's all the audio and voicework or a sideffect of the new pressing.

One thing that worries me is the lack of PCE Works branding on things aside from the disc and manual; when it's open you can tell it's not a "legit" release, but shrinkwrapped it'd be pretty hard to tell it apart from the genuine article. Watch what you're buying if you see new or unopened stuff that also happens to be in their catalog.
I think some resellers are taking advantage of this. There are a lot of PCEWorks games selling on eBay for double their retail price even though they're currently in stock at PCEWorks.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

falz posted:

Still, I'd imagine that's easier than them shipping. Of course assuming they communicate w you beforehand.

Yeah, it's worth a shot. I'll call them tomorrow, assuming the number on their site actually works :q:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Is there any differences between flat and round CRT TVs? I was at my local Goodwills and I suddenly decided I wanted a CRT

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Is there any differences between flat and round CRT TVs? I was at my local Goodwills and I suddenly decided I wanted a CRT

None that are relevant to retro gaming, though some people insist on using really rounded ones because that's the only ones they had as kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Aren't the flat ones usually stretched out at the edges a bit? Or did late 90s technology overcome that.

• Locked thread