Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
If you use a ton of mods and have the non-DRM version of the game, I'd suggest copying out all of the mods and the game to a folder outside of steam once your game is in a state you like. Doing so will prevent mods updating and the game updating from breaking your 100 mod game. This was important for me because I liked to mod the mods, and mod updates would wipe out those mod mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devdisigdu
Mar 23, 2016

The shadows lengthen
In Carcosa.

Donkringel posted:

What is the best way to deal with Star vampires. Usually I have to sacrifice a pawn to see the drat things, then it charges my firing line.
My tactic for Star vampires is this:

Since the warning tells you where the star vampire spawned in, you can select it like any enemy despite it being invisible using the normal drag box selection. This lets you track where it is once it starts moving. Turrets and colonists shooting at it will also indicate it's position, even though it is invisible/invulnerable until it reveals itself.

Get your speediest colonist to sit in an open door and play the pause/unpause game when the Star Vampire gets close. Once it gets within a cell or two of it's target it will turn visible and attack. This is when you retreat behind the door and use your other colonists/turrets to flank it.

Time it well and your bait won't get hurt, and the Star vampire is battered by snipers and charge rifles.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Garfu posted:

If you use a ton of mods and have the non-DRM version of the game, I'd suggest copying out all of the mods and the game to a folder outside of steam once your game is in a state you like. Doing so will prevent mods updating and the game updating from breaking your 100 mod game. This was important for me because I liked to mod the mods, and mod updates would wipe out those mod mods.

You don't even need a different version for this anymore. As of A16, the Steam version is effectively non-DRM as it still allows you to run it when the Steam API fails to connect/validate.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I don't use the Cthulhu mods because I'm not really interested in injecting Lovecraft into my space opera, but everything I've heard about them has been good.

Completely fair! I can totally understand that it's not a tone everyone will want, or always want if they do like it.

Mzbundifund posted:

Could you give a few sentence starter's guide for these? I'm not sure what I should be doing or when I should be attempting it. I did an unmodified crashlanded start scenario on Randy Intense, and nothing seems different apart from the fact that all my characters have this "cult-mindedness" meter in their needs & mood screen. Do I need to crack open the ancient danger or something to get the mod content started? I've only played for like 2 game days so far.

As Carcer said, you're waiting on a big ol' honkin' monolith or spooky tree to appear; this will occur within about five in-game days. Once it does, a colonist will randomly go off and scribble notes at it, creating a Grimoire, at which point you can build a special research altar thing in the Misc menu, I believe, and start researching stuff. You'll be able to build a worship altar soon, and hold sermons/make offerings/etc. until your chosen god deigns to look your way and possible, with the right sacrifices, give you considerable boons. Cult Mindedness basically shows whether the pawn is willing to join the cult, tolerate it, or oppose it. There may be other effects but I'm not familiar enough to say yet.

Donkringel posted:

What is the best way to deal with Star vampires. Usually I have to sacrifice a pawn to see the drat things, then it charges my firing line.

At first Star Vampires made me poo poo bricks but then I discovered something when one wandered in from map's edge rather than spawning in the middle of my base. I sent everyone out to the perimeter defenses and had a sacrificial useless pawn hanging around like a donut, but everyone started firing when it got into range. They're invisible at first to players, but I think pawns can still see and shoot them as usual, so when you get a message arm your defenses as usual and you may be okay, but it'll hinge on spawn location especially. They're incredibly dangerous, but can be brought down with relative ease if you can get a good firing line on them. e2; though Devdisigdu a couple of posts up says they're invulnerable while invisible, which may well be true.

e; are there any mods that change timescale? I'd really like longer days and nights.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 21, 2017

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Carcer posted:

Eventually a big, red, scary tree will appear and one of your colonists will go to it and write an arcane book, which you can use to build a research bench that gives you access to cult stuff like altars and cult attire and such. You can then build a temple and designate how often your pawns worship the various gods you can discover through research. Once you've worshiped enough or sacrificed enough food and animals you'll be able to sacrifice pawns to use spells. For Cthulhu, the first god I discovered, there's a spell to cause ship pieces to rain down on the map and another that replaces one of your pawns appendages (Including eyes) with various tentacle themed limbs that give a significant boost to related stats.

Mister Adequate posted:

As Carcer said, you're waiting on a big ol' honkin' monolith or spooky tree to appear; this will occur within about five in-game days. Once it does, a colonist will randomly go off and scribble notes at it, creating a Grimoire, at which point you can build a special research altar thing in the Misc menu, I believe, and start researching stuff. You'll be able to build a worship altar soon, and hold sermons/make offerings/etc. until your chosen god deigns to look your way and possible, with the right sacrifices, give you considerable boons. Cult Mindedness basically shows whether the pawn is willing to join the cult, tolerate it, or oppose it. There may be other effects but I'm not familiar enough to say yet.

Thanks. I got a spooky obelisk instead of a tree, but everything is cooking along just fine. I haven't been visited by either of the new factions, and it's been almost a game year, but that could just be Randy. Am I supposed to be doing this with the HP Lovecraft storyteller? That just sounded like 500 raids in a row, and I've gotten other events from the cthulhu mod (dark young spawn, etc). I picked Nyarlythotep. One of the sacrifice rewards is Forbidden Knowledge, which just gives you a giant research boost. I sacrificed 3 people in one day and finished the Groud-Penetrating Scanner research in almost a second.

The sacrifice side effects also blighted all my crops and rotted all my food, so I had to send a desperation caravan to the next tile over to hunt for food. Seems appropriate!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Space pickles incoming :unsmith:

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
In an attempt to get a better doctor, I decided to have my 10/20 doctor install a bionic eye on my 13/20 doctor.

She cut his head off.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Theres a mod for less arbitrary (read bullshit) medical failures. I wouldn't want to do anything complicated like install bionics without it.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Teikanmi posted:

In an attempt to get a better doctor, I decided to have my 10/20 doctor install a bionic eye on my 13/20 doctor.

She cut his head off.

Sounds like they wanted to be the best doctor around.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Carcer posted:

Theres a mod for less arbitrary (read bullshit) medical failures. I wouldn't want to do anything complicated like install bionics without it.

Link?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

UrbicaMortis posted:

Well yeah I mean, you would only have the best doctor do all the important stuff right? Well if you chop off the head of the best doctor you're now the best doctor

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE!

drat a highlander mod would rock. You get 1 colonist and gain skills by chopping off the heads of other pawns.

E: Or hell, no need for restricting to 1 colonist. Fed up with the conundrum of "I can't tame animals cause no one has animals 4, they can't get animals 4 cause they can't tame animals"? Have them chop off the head of some invader with animals skill.

Leal fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jan 21, 2017

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=29098.0

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Currently installing the Cthulhu packs. I'd looked them over at first, assuming they were your typical "LOLSOCREEPY" crap...but everyone here seems to love them.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
If anyone is experience late game lag and is feeling adventurous, I've created a WorldPawn Garbage Collector which will probably significantly improve performance and probably won't gently caress up your game. I'd like to hear how it works for other people; I only have one older A16 save to try it with.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

UrbicaMortis posted:

Yeah, professional jealousy is real.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Devorum posted:

Currently installing the Cthulhu packs. I'd looked them over at first, assuming they were your typical "LOLSOCREEPY" crap...but everyone here seems to love them.

Yeah it's 2017 and Lovecraft stuff has been copied so many times by so many people it's not remotely scary anymore. I really just wanted some new systems to play around with and overlay onto this game, because comprehending new systems is the #1 thing I enjoy in my Video Game.

My only chef got his heart broken when his marriage proposal got rejected, so I had nyarlathotep turn him into a psychopath and now it doesn't bother him anymore.

Zhentar posted:

If anyone is experience late game lag and is feeling adventurous, I've created a WorldPawn Garbage Collector which will probably significantly improve performance and probably won't gently caress up your game. I'd like to hear how it works for other people; I only have one older A16 save to try it with.

What exactly does this do?

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Mzbundifund posted:

What exactly does this do?
Looking at the code it seems like RimWorld keeps track of every met or possibly even unmet-but-generated-anyway pawn ever, leading to lots of "garbage" pawn data being stored as time goes on, potentially slowing down the game. The mod seems to analyze which of these pawns actually have any kind of meaningful relation to your colony (was a prisoner once, was kidnapped, is family, is bonded animal, was ever on your map, etc.) and deletes the ones that don't meet those criteria.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Mzbundifund posted:

Thanks. I got a spooky obelisk instead of a tree, but everything is cooking along just fine. I haven't been visited by either of the new factions, and it's been almost a game year, but that could just be Randy. Am I supposed to be doing this with the HP Lovecraft storyteller? That just sounded like 500 raids in a row, and I've gotten other events from the cthulhu mod (dark young spawn, etc). I picked Nyarlythotep. One of the sacrifice rewards is Forbidden Knowledge, which just gives you a giant research boost. I sacrificed 3 people in one day and finished the Groud-Penetrating Scanner research in almost a second.

The sacrifice side effects also blighted all my crops and rotted all my food, so I had to send a desperation caravan to the next tile over to hunt for food. Seems appropriate!

I used Randy and as far as I know, got events as usual; the Lovecraft Storyteller probably changes frequencies and stuff but idk if it even can force include/exclude certain events. Just taste, I think.

Devorum posted:

Lovecraft is pretty overdone (or more accurately, yeah, plays into LOLSOCREEPY too often and misses what made the original stuff actually scary), but the mods are good less because of subject matter and more because they're just damned well made. The monster sprites are nice and fit in the game's style well enough, the cult systems are fleshed out and make sense, the gameplay is genuinely improved by giving you more to do with prisoners, like sacrificing them so you can Gain Forbidden Knowledge but the side-effect is that Shubby blots out the sun with an eclipse, and it's actually pretty awesome having a temple to unknowable horrors somewhere, with spooky altars and a priest who wears cool robes and a badass goat hood or whatever.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

SirViver posted:

Looking at the code it seems like RimWorld keeps track of every met or possibly even unmet-but-generated-anyway pawn ever, leading to lots of "garbage" pawn data being stored as time goes on, potentially slowing down the game. The mod seems to analyze which of these pawns actually have any kind of meaningful relation to your colony (was a prisoner once, was kidnapped, is family, is bonded animal, was ever on your map, etc.) and deletes the ones that don't meet those criteria.

Core RimWorld does try to keep the list of worldpawns in check, but it doesn't do a great job of it. The "WorldPawns" that are preserved get updated every tick just like pawns on screen do, so that when you shoot your colonist's lover and the flee off map bleeding badly, they still bleed to death some time later and your pawn still gets sad. As the list builds up, WorldPawns easily make up 50% or more of the execution time of each tick (or if you've abandoned all maps and are traveling on the world map, 90%+).

The standard logic considers things like having relatives sufficient reason to keep pawns around, so if two pointless raiders are related to each other, they get kept around for no other reason than that they are related to each other. I created a garbage collector to handle cycles like that, so that relatives of pawns we care about get kept, but nobodies don't get kept around for meaningless reasons.

edit: I've just uploaded a new version that is much, much faster and deletes more worldpawns.

Zhentar fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 22, 2017

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
ah yes, heat wave + solar flare. everybody bakes in the heat but none of your coolers work :|

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Dusters and cowboys hats for all :clint:

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Anyone's mods stuck in a download loop through steam?

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

botany posted:

ah yes, heat wave + solar flare. everybody bakes in the heat but none of your coolers work :|

Don't underestimate passive coolers, they exist purely just for that breed of BS.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Thefluffy posted:

Don't underestimate passive coolers, they exist purely just for that breed of BS.

This was at the very start of the game. Which actually is a good question: what do people usually research first? I kind of want to get microelectronics, brewing and devilstrand up as soon as possible but I have no idea if that's a good idea.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
So what are the major modifications to the game?

Cthulu and medieval times?

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

Donkringel posted:

Anyone's mods stuck in a download loop through steam?

Yeah that happened to me too, same problem a few other people up the thread reported. I fixed it by subscribing to another mod and yelling at the screen "FINE THEN MORE MODS BETTER loving FIX IT."

You probably won't need that last part.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

TipsyMcStagger posted:

So what are the major modifications to the game?

Cthulu and medieval times?

There are an awful lot of mods that do a variety of things. Honestly I'd just poke around on Steam and the official forums and grab what seems interesting.

botany posted:

This was at the very start of the game. Which actually is a good question: what do people usually research first? I kind of want to get microelectronics, brewing and devilstrand up as soon as possible but I have no idea if that's a good idea.

Microelectrics for trading, then to penoxycycline to help with diseases, then probably gun turrets. After that, whatever seems pressing, and I'll try to get to electric smelting fairly quickly so I can smelt slag, but the importance of that will depend on how much convenient steel is on the map.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tristesse posted:

Yeah that happened to me too, same problem a few other people up the thread reported. I fixed it by subscribing to another mod and yelling at the screen "FINE THEN MORE MODS BETTER loving FIX IT."

You probably won't need that last part.

You can also fix it by restarting Steam. I highly recommend Mod List Backup so you can immediately get your old mod list back.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Is there a mod that will make my colonists permanently stop trying to waste medicine on dying chickens? I have so many chickens and during every raid a few get shot and I don't care but my colonists keep trying to use my precious medicine on chickens.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Spaseman posted:

Is there a mod that will make my colonists permanently stop trying to waste medicine on dying chickens? I have so many chickens and during every raid a few get shot and I don't care but my colonists keep trying to use my precious medicine on chickens.

You're looking for Zorba's Step Away from the Medicine mod. It lets you set default medical levels for colonists, pets, prisoners, allys, etc.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=26623.msg269337#msg269337

Edit: Actually, everything Zorba does is fantastic QoL improvements. Just get all of his mods.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
/\ One thing I do find annoying about his mods though is that he puts these "funny" mini-fanfiction stories in front of the actual description of what his mod does, making the Steam Workshop preview/hover blurb absolutely useless <:mad:>

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Alright, so far I've been happy to muddle my way through learning this game, and deciding which mods I neec, but now I a tally have a few questions: Does the crafting hysteresis mod require you to do anything or does it just passively change the ai for production bills?

And the colony manager mod, how does it work? Do I need a pawn actively using a manager desk to have anything happen? What's the point?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

SirViver posted:

/\ One thing I do find annoying about his mods though is that he puts these "funny" mini-fanfiction stories in front of the actual description of what his mod does, making the Steam Workshop preview/hover blurb absolutely useless <:mad:>

Yeah I skipped over pretty much all of their stuff because mousing over the mods gives me 5 sentences to the start of some wacky story that makes my eyes glaze over. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't

First sentence

Second sentence

Third

Etc

So even if you do go to the mod page you still have to scroll through his entire story to finally see what the drat mod does.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I bought this last night. Is it generally best to learn the game without any mods first, or are there some necessary QOL types mods I should pick up?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the game is perfectly functional and enjoyable without mods, so i wouldn't worry about them until you've identified what pisses you off (something WILL piss you off)

after you've played your first game or two you're invariably going to want Prepare Carefully, but until you've played your first game or two you won't know what's super important to prepare carefully for. for your first game or two, just make sure you have one pawn with 8+ medicine and 8+ growing. after you play your first game you'll have a better idea of what you want, and you can use Prepare Carefully to get what you want more easily

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Zhentar posted:

:words: about how Rimworld handles pawns.

Ugh, yeah, this is bad. I get that Tynan wants to keep those raiders that ran off months ago, but tracking and updating them constantly is way overdoing it. They certainly don't need to remain in active memory forever.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
So uhhhh what does it mean if a piece of armor has more than 100% protection? :eyepop: http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/92722829592626267/490B72755C3CF4CB5320BB364AF5B95B32E4305C/

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Leal posted:

Well yeah I mean, you would only have the best doctor do all the important stuff right? Well if you chop off the head of the best doctor you're now the best doctor

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE!

drat a highlander mod would rock. You get 1 colonist and gain skills by chopping off the heads of other pawns.

E: Or hell, no need for restricting to 1 colonist. Fed up with the conundrum of "I can't tame animals cause no one has animals 4, they can't get animals 4 cause they can't tame animals"? Have them chop off the head of some invader with animals skill.

Starts with an legendary plasteel sword and a kilt

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
so.

plague, huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

The first 50% of protection reduces damage taken from each hit. Each percentage point between 51% and 100% adds a 1% chance to deflect, eliminating all damage taken. So "100%" protection armor offers a 50% chance of taking 0 damage from a hit, and the hits you do take will do 50% damage. Past 100%, each percentage point adds 0.25% damage reduction and 0.25% deflection chance. So a 102% protection armor has a 50.5% chance of deflection and 50.5% damage reduction.