Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

PhazonLink posted:

So how many times in modern history has some form of political face punching happened? By modern I mean within the 1980s or so.

My list of top face punching is:

1) A nazi getting punched by an s&m fan.
2) Chowder getting punched by a union member.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XTiI1e-wVc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ron Jeremy posted:

Just a reminder that Andy graduated from Princeton with a degree in electrical engineering and doesnt believe in imaginary numbers
I've run into this problem with people (albeit not loving EEs :psyduck:) and agree with Gauss that it's entirely the fault of the notation.

Carl Friedrich Gauss posted:

That this subject [imaginary numbers] has hitherto been surrounded by mysterious obscurity, is to be attributed largely to an ill adapted notation. If, for example, +1, -1, and the square root of -1 had been called direct, inverse and lateral units, instead of positive, negative and imaginary (or even impossible), such an obscurity would have been out of the question.

Andy is an obtuse idiot, but words are important, and I can't help but think that calling them real and imaginary has muddied the waters around them.

When you can literally go to the eng. lab and see wires melt because you didn't account for the reactive current it takes a special type of stubbornness to not believe in them though.

Maybe he thinks that the power dissipated in a conductor by Joule heating is actually equal to I2.000001·R and I'm just not being open minded enough. :eng99:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I've been noticing a lot of
"I notice that the people who voted against Hate and Intolerance are acting pretty hateful and intolerant themselves lately :smuggo:"
Posts from the right wing crowd.

I'm just going to file that away with ":cry: why don't you tolerate our intolerance?" , because I can't see any point in trying to debate that argument with someone who lumps peaceful protest together with literal hate speech/crimes.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Ron Jeremy posted:

Just a reminder that Andy graduated from Princeton with a degree in electrical engineering and doesnt believe in imaginary numbers

I'm not sure what this means, or if it's a problem. Our number systems are largely constructed. I can see someone thinking of imaginary numbers as a useful abstraction that helps solve problems without believing that they exist in any objective sense.

Henker posted:

Found these on a friend of a friend's FB page:

My internet is not cooperating this morning, so just imagine I posted a picture of George W. Bush in his flight suit.

hamster_style
Nov 24, 2004
neenjah!
Got my first couple of idiot posts about the march. Both from the same person.

I'm too lazy to even touch the poop with this one.

"Yeah man! And why isn't there a white history month, or white entertainment television!? Isn't that... :smug: racist!?"

Also "Back then it was about "real equalities!" and therefore this "not a real protest". All of the replies are from, you guessed it, white men.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
The “resistance” styles itself as anti-fascist, but they are the fascists. They don’t like the outcome of the election, and now they want to seize power by force and intimidation. And everyone who contributes to this hysteria and uses the hyperbolic language of revolution is adding to the environment in which these groups take action.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Pretty sure Richard "'Peaceful' Ethnic Cleansing and Forced Sterilization" Spencer is the fascist. The literal, actual, no joke fascist. Like this ain't Cable Street 2 or whatever the gently caress, but Richard Spencer is the fascist in this scenario because that is literally his political ideology. He can bandy around 'peaceful' all he wants, dude wants to ethnically cleanse the US of non-whites and he quotes Nazi propaganda.

I don't think the legal system should condone this but there's not really a lot detestable about Richard Spencer, a dude who is pushing for slaughtering or sterilizing large swathes of the population on ethnic lines, getting punched in the face.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 22, 2017

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

TGLT posted:

Pretty sure Richard "'Peaceful' Ethnic Cleansing and Forced Sterilization" Spencer is the fascist. The literal, actual, no joke fascist. Like this ain't Cable Street 2 or whatever the gently caress, but Richard Spencer is the fascist in this scenario because that is literally his political ideology. He can bandy around 'peaceful' all he wants, dude wants to ethnically cleanse the US of non-whites and he quotes Nazi propaganda.

I don't think the system should condone this, but there's not really a lot despicable in a dude who is preaching for slaughtering or sterilizing large swathes of the population on ethnic lines getting punched in the face.
Richard Spencer and his nazi ilk have perpetrated violence for years. If he were a quadriplegic and physically incapable of so much as spitting on someone he would still be guilty of violence by his words and actions.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

It's slightly worrying that the main response to "white supremacist gets punched while getting a TV interview" is the "gets punched" and not "white supremacist gets TV interview"

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

ozmunkeh posted:

The “resistance” styles itself as anti-fascist, but they are the fascists. They don’t like the outcome of the election, and now they want to seize power by force and intimidation. And everyone who contributes to this hysteria and uses the hyperbolic language of revolution is adding to the environment in which these groups take action.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

RadiRoot fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 22, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Not really, she's talking about her future child, who will have rights. (Ideally.)

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Radirot posted:

A big part of the march was abortion rights so defending the rights of unborn children seems paradoxical?

To halfwits maybe.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!
I was digging through some Ayn Rand quotes to counter some crazy forwards before giving up on knocking sense into people who idolize her.

http://www.salon.com/2015/10/14/libertarian_superstar_ayn_rand_defended_genocide_of_savage_native_americans/

And this one seemed very familiar.

quote:

“Racism didn’t exist in this country until the liberals brought it up,” Rand maintained. And those who defend “racist” affirmative action, she insisted, “are the ones who are institutionalizing racism today.”

Racism didn't exist in the united states until liberals created it in 1974.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

pastor of muppets posted:

Shared by a former co-worker from a public page:

Saw this one too.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

Dejawesp posted:

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

I've seen that one but I can't figure out what the artist means.

Either that "It's better not to discuss racial issues because that causes problems" or "Everything seems fine on the surface until you get people talking about it"

Or I'm wrong about both.

Have some condensed fuel for the months to come:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Dejawesp posted:

Either that "It's better not to discuss racial issues because that causes problems" or "Everything seems fine on the surface until you get people talking about it"

Or I'm wrong about both.

Lol, I thought this didnt happen anymore

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Dejawesp posted:

Or I'm wrong about both.

Kelly is the Onion's cartoonist, it's a satire of lovely political cartoons.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Dejawesp posted:

Or I'm wrong about both.

Kelly's a persona like Stephen Colbert. Ward Sutton, the actual artist, draws those cartoons for the Onion as parody.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Tarezax posted:

Kelly is the Onion's cartoonist, it's a satire of lovely political cartoons.

I've seen some of his work but people link it ironically and at face value all over the place.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Dejawesp posted:

I was digging through some Ayn Rand quotes to counter some crazy forwards before giving up on knocking sense into people who idolize her.

http://www.salon.com/2015/10/14/libertarian_superstar_ayn_rand_defended_genocide_of_savage_native_americans/

And this one seemed very familiar.

Now share the Rand quote about how American Indians had no right to the land because they wouldn't use it as well as white people.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Dejawesp posted:

Thank you

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

I'll be honest. As a non-american I don't know much about Colbert.

He had a show that went on TV here some decade ago. I watched it and it had him commenting on the 2008 financial crisis. The narration went like this:

Colbert: Due to the financial crisis Six flags was forced to cut down to three flags

I changed the channel and never watched the show again after that. I heard he's a cool guy though.

Jurgan posted:

Now share the Rand quote about how American Indians had no right to the land because they wouldn't use it as well as white people.

I was going to but as I read more it just got worse and worse and turns out she was a pretty bad person.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

Dejawesp posted:

I was going to but as I read more it just got worse and worse and turns out she was a pretty bad person.
I like the one about how she came to this country and didn't take nothing from nobody, no handouts nosiree.

While all of her cousins were like "uh, you stayed with us in our house and you were kind of a bitch but we helped you anyway."

Oh then there was the part where she got cancer and enrolled in Medicare.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Defenestration posted:

I like the one about how she came to this country and didn't take nothing from nobody, no handouts nosiree.

While all of her cousins were like "uh, you stayed with us in our house and you were kind of a bitch but we helped you anyway."

Oh then there was the part where she got cancer and enrolled in Medicare.

But we lose HP Lovecraft half a century too early because he couldn't afford health care.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Dejawesp posted:

She was also madly in love with an actual serial killer. No matter how awful you think Rand is, the rabbit hole always goes deeper.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Dejawesp posted:

I'll be honest. As a non-american I don't know much about Colbert.

He had a show that went on TV here some decade ago. I watched it and it had him commenting on the 2008 financial crisis. The narration went like this:

Colbert: Due to the financial crisis Six flags was forced to cut down to three flags

I changed the channel and never watched the show again after that. I heard he's a cool guy though.

...Did you not get the joke? Because of budget cuts they had to have fewer flags. This is humorous due to the patent absurdity in treating a corporate logo as a significant part of their budget expenditures. In reality they maintained the same amount of flags they'd always had.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jurgan posted:

She was also madly in love with an actual serial killer.
He embodied the character of the Objectivist Ubermench because of his disregard for the arbitrary moral constructs of society like "don't murder children."

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Doomsayer posted:

...Did you not get the joke? Because of budget cuts they had to had fewer flags. This is humorous due to the patent absurdity in treating a corporate logo as a significant part of their budget expenditures. In reality they maintained the same amount of flags they'd always had.

Yeah but that was just one of them and the list of jokes in that spirit was very long.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Dejawesp posted:

Yeah but that was just one of them and the list of jokes in that spirit was very long.

I mean it was a daily show, not every punchline's gonna be comedy gold :colbert:

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Dejawesp posted:

But we lose HP Lovecraft half a century too early because he couldn't afford health care.

Yeah, but HP Lovercraft was a huge racist so I'm ok with that.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Rick_Hunter posted:

Wasn't he so racist that his friends (and this is at the turn of the 20th century) are actually on record as saying "dude, you're being really racist, tone it down a bit."? In that light, "huge racist" seems like an understatement.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Keeshhound posted:

Wasn't he so racist that his friends (and this is at the turn of the 20th century) are actually on record as saying "dude, you're being really racist, tone it down a bit."? In that light, "huge racist" seems like an understatement.

Yeah, seems like racism was the eldritch horror that he prayed to the most.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Rick_Hunter posted:

He was! and if someone tried to quote him as a moral authority then I would call the gently caress out of them.

He was even racist against Norwegian immigrants so clearly he meant business.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Jurgan posted:

I'm not sure what this means, or if it's a problem. Our number systems are largely constructed. I can see someone thinking of imaginary numbers as a useful abstraction that helps solve problems without believing that they exist in any objective sense.

Gender works the same way.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Keeshhound posted:

It wasn't just his friends, it was also his wife. She was constantly embarrassed by how he acted whenever a black person showed up (which in Baltimore was fairly common).

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

This is why we can't have nice things. I was perfectly happy living in a world where Lovecraft was just an average racist for his time. Instead of some sort of proactive super racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Idiot Fuckhead Who is a Man, a Tea Party supporter and a Racist (NO NOT REALLY, I HAVE BLACK FRIENDS) posted:

For those whom don't know little bit of family history.
Lucy Stone one of the only two stones in the encyclopedia Britannica...(whom I'm a descendant of) leader of women's rights who taught Susan B. Anthony everything she knew and married a Blackwell.
I'm all for equality (as in we all meet on the level and all are equal as a species we all die and end up in the same place) so when I see these protests the day after the inauguration mind you the president took the weekend off will start on Monday and he hasn't even done anything yet...These protests are waaaaaaaaay ahead of when they should be which should 2-3 weeks after or if you want to be really smart after the first 100 days

He's also posting macros about how the military should kill protestors and other loving fascist poo poo.