Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Final Quiggs update...he came home yesterday. Until we have a more permanent place for him, he's right next to his sister Daisy on her shelf. I can't wait to get his framed picture and an easel for his pawprint. I still have to put my letter to him in the box, but he's home...we've got our closure. Sounds weird, but I can still feel him hanging around in the garage.

Princess has warmed up to us quite nicely in a week. As soon as my alarm goes off in the morning, she's hopping up on the bed to lay on my chest for a few before I get up. Same with my wife. Todd and Lillie are hissing at her less now, and while she's still meowing a whole loving lot, her tail's always up and she's exploring, so I think she's just a vocal cat. It sucks that we had to lose Quiggs to get her, but I'm glad she's home with us now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
I don't mean to be mean or intrusive but... are you in a financial position to support another cat? From your previous posts it really sounded like you were at risk of being unable to pay your bills even without Quiggs' problems. I'd hate for either you or Princess to suffer if another emergency comes up.

Delayed Reaction
Mar 18, 2009

I am known as the Queen of Delayed Reactions for a reason, heh.
Edit: I went ahead and made a thread

Delayed Reaction fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jan 19, 2017

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

in_cahoots posted:

I don't mean to be mean or intrusive but... are you in a financial position to support another cat? From your previous posts it really sounded like you were at risk of being unable to pay your bills even without Quiggs' problems. I'd hate for either you or Princess to suffer if another emergency comes up.

We were supporting two cats just fine when Todd and Quiggs were healthy, and I feel awful for admitting it, but there was quite a bit of takeout money that could have gone to Quiggs; we've already decided that no matter what, the cats and guinea pigs come first in the future, even if it means forgoing our Chinese and Italian food.

It was our shortcomings, honestly. We should have said gently caress the takeout and had him seen, but we just kept procrastinating...not going to do it again.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
We got our 3 month old kitten neutered yesterday (Tuesday) and the vet said we should leave the e-collar on for a week. Unsurprisingly, he absolutely hates it and has a lot of trouble walking, eating, drinking, and using the litter box. I Googled whether he really needs it for a full week and got a full range of answers from "no, I never use an e collar for a neuter" to "yes and if you take it off even one day early he'll rip open the wound in seconds." Any advice?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Leave it on because some cats loving hate stitches and you cant tell til it's too late.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Yeah, the price of being wrong is pretty high. At least make him wear it a few days to give it a chance to heal some. If you take it off early keep a close eye on him to make sure he leaves the wound alone. If he pays it the least attention get that collar back on stat.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

D34THROW posted:

We were supporting two cats just fine when Todd and Quiggs were healthy, and I feel awful for admitting it, but there was quite a bit of takeout money that could have gone to Quiggs; we've already decided that no matter what, the cats and guinea pigs come first in the future, even if it means forgoing our Chinese and Italian food.

It was our shortcomings, honestly. We should have said gently caress the takeout and had him seen, but we just kept procrastinating...not going to do it again.

It might be worth considering pet insurance, then. I pay something around $25/month for my fatty 12-year-old and it's definitely nice to know that I won't be surprised by a huge bill as she ages. I locked in my rate when she was a kitten though - I'm not sure what the rates will be for a senior kitty.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

mancalamania posted:

We got our 3 month old kitten neutered yesterday (Tuesday) and the vet said we should leave the e-collar on for a week. Unsurprisingly, he absolutely hates it and has a lot of trouble walking, eating, drinking, and using the litter box. I Googled whether he really needs it for a full week and got a full range of answers from "no, I never use an e collar for a neuter" to "yes and if you take it off even one day early he'll rip open the wound in seconds." Any advice?

He'll figure it out. My cat recently had to wear an e-collar and she was a miserable lump for all of day 1, started moving around more on day 2, and was back to as normal as possible on day 3.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Thanks for the advice. He's definitely getting more used to the cone each day.

The vet told us to keep him from jumping / running around / playing for the week after surgery (something about blood pressure getting too high can open the wound?). This was easy the first two days where he mostly wanted to sleep, but today he was getting antsy and looking really bored. Is there any low-energy playtime activity we can help him with that won't hurt him?

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

We got our female cat spayed Wednesday, and they told us she'd only have to wear the Cone of Shame if we noticed she was licking at it a bunch, and just to keep her calm and away from our other cat for 7-10 days and to come back if it starts looking infected. She's been doing pretty well, and the vet's office said she was the most sweet, loving cat they've ever seen, especially since cats usually hate going to the vet.

No more babies for her! Hopefully that'll mean she quits spraying in the house and she can come be a lovebug on everyone whenever, and get to go outside when she wants. Still find it hilarious her little 4 and a half pound self can bully Gonzo out of his food dish, when he's more than twice her size.

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003
The last time I got some catnip from d8's :catdrugs: was right around when the retirement announcement came out, and we've finally gone through all of our stash. What is SA's recommendation for a potent replacement?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
My cat has recently (the past month or so) started eating a lot less food for some reason. She seems as healthy and energetic as ever, she just isn't gobbling the food down like a vacuum cleaner anymore. What can cause this?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

When my cat does that he's either getting bored of the food or has a hairball he's ready to throw up. Over a month though... hm. Keep an eye on her weight, and if that's not changing it should be okay. How old is she?

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
One of the two cats is now using the cat door! Hooray

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What broke their spirit?

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

What broke their spirit?

One of them decided knocking the door around was pretty fun. Then came though to do the same from the other side. She still plays with it for 20-30 seconds before coming in or out, which is fine.

The other is now staring intently at cat door. I'm hoping this goes somewhere.

The terrible thing is I'm traveling next week, so they're staying at a boarding place. I'm pretty sure they'll both forget about it completely in the four days they're away.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So my cat luna has been a bit under the weather with the sniffles, nothing major just sneezing here and there, its cleared up but she's acting massively disoriented for some reason, she knows me, knows where the litter box is and such, just find it odd she's acting like this.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Today is the first day we've let the new kittens roam the house. We have our dog at a friends place for the day so they can explore without being harassed by a curious dog.

We plan on bringing the dog home later today and seeing how they all react. Any meet and greets we've done thus far have been positive. Kittens always are purring, dog will even lick them a few times. The dog will even do the dog Play move when she puts her but in the air and face down and that's usually where we've stopped the interaction.

My question is: If the interactions go great today do you recommend we still lock up the kittens into the spare bedroom for the night? Should they have a few more outings before they get free roam?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Synthbuttrange posted:

When my cat does that he's either getting bored of the food or has a hairball he's ready to throw up. Over a month though... hm. Keep an eye on her weight, and if that's not changing it should be okay. How old is she?

She was originally a stray, so I don't know her exact age, but at least 10-12 years.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

m.hache posted:

Today is the first day we've let the new kittens roam the house. We have our dog at a friends place for the day so they can explore without being harassed by a curious dog.

We plan on bringing the dog home later today and seeing how they all react. Any meet and greets we've done thus far have been positive. Kittens always are purring, dog will even lick them a few times. The dog will even do the dog Play move when she puts her but in the air and face down and that's usually where we've stopped the interaction.

My question is: If the interactions go great today do you recommend we still lock up the kittens into the spare bedroom for the night? Should they have a few more outings before they get free roam?

How big are the kittens compared to the dog? In any case, if it were me I'd allow only supervised contact until I'd seen them be okay for hours at a time with no intervention from me. Like if you're taking the kittens away every time it looks like your dog wants to play with them then you don't know what happens if you don't take the kittens away, and it makes more sense to let that play out while you're there than to just leave them overnight.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

taiyoko posted:

No more babies for her! Hopefully that'll mean she quits spraying in the house

wait, girl cats can spray?

gyrf
Aug 14, 2010
For those who recently had their cat spayed/neutered and are using an e-collar, I just wanted to suggest checking out the Comfy Cone by All Four Paws. (Amazon link, but I think you can find it at Petco or PetSmart now.)

It's flexible foam with a nylon fabric cover. We picked one up for our dog when he had a sore on his tail that he wouldn't stop licking, and he was much more comfortable with the Comfy Cone than with the hard plastic e-collar from the vet.

scrammysaur
Dec 27, 2013

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Mister Adequate posted:

wait, girl cats can spray?

I've had female cats at least act like they're spraying. Not sure if anything's actually coming out.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

She actually got my arm once. I was sitting on the floor petting her and I guess she decided I needed to be a mobile tomcat beacon or something.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

scrammysaur posted:

I've had female cats at least act like they're spraying. Not sure if anything's actually coming out.

They certainly can spray. Our older, territorially established cat was not happy when we got a new cat, and eventually took to marking outside. And she was spayed.

yoloer420 posted:

One of them decided knocking the door around was pretty fun. Then came though to do the same from the other side. She still plays with it for 20-30 seconds before coming in or out, which is fine.
The aforementioned new cat didn't really seem to like our cat door. She certainly didn't like to push it open with her head. Instead, she'd open it with a forepaw, then shove her head in the gap she'd made and push though.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Well, you learn something every day :psyduck:

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I have a question about spraying, actually. Neither of my cats (neutered male/spayed female) ever did this in any of the apartments we lived in, but while we're staying with my husband's parents they've both decided they need to mark all the furniture, and it's going to cause a row in the house if i can't get it under control. It isn't just pissing, it's backing the rear end up and marking specific places. I know outdoor cats do this to mark territory but I don't know how to discourage it now when it has NEVER been a problem before and the only time either of them peed outside the box was when they were very ill. (They are not ill.)

Other cats lived here once upon a time but not for a few years. So I don't know if they're finding old scent spots or what. I've tried Nature's Miracle as best I can but when a cat backs up underneath a recliner's footrest and just lets it go it's... really hard to make sure you got everything. :(

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They could be stressed out from being in a new situation. Have you got any feliway?

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Does anyone have experience with cats with acid reflux? Our kitty Pedro was diagnosed a week ago and has been much improved with a round of antacids. He still occasionally retches/regurgitates though and I'm wondering if we should change his food. We have him on good quality dry in the mornings (applaws) and a pouch of gourmet wet food in the evening. We don't free feed as he's a greedy bugger who'd get fat!

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I know I posted a pic of them on the last page, but I have a better one now of my two girls, who have seriously turned into best friends in the last month. They both look a bit grumpy because I woke them up taking pictures, and Sardine is a bit alarmed because I am using both my hands as I approach her and some desperate hatred of being picked up makes her distrust 2-handed gestures from people near her - makes taking pics difficult unless she is VERY sleepy... But I still think they look so cute together! :3:

They now both look and act like real sisters - it is just too cute. They look quite different when standing up but like this they seem kinda the same size, and there's something nice about the differences in fur - Sardine's a Mackerel Tabby with typical cat fur for a shorthair tabby, while Jackie is a Classic Tabby with especially soft fur that's got a warmer, almost yellowish/orange tint to it and a crazy-smooth coat. Anyway, even with the grumpy faces I love seeing them together like this. Took a lot of effort to get here.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's
Thinking way ahead...

In a few months, my girlfriend and I will be gone for a week, and someone will need to take care of our cat. We're juggling a few options.

The first is that her parents are willing to take care of the cat, but they already have a cat and a dog, and they free feed their pets whereas our cat has a bit of a food issue, so we have to give him set meals. He has a tendency to forage and eat absolutely anything he can find, and this will probably be an issue when our cat decides to eat all of the cat and dog food. Their cat is also an indoor/outdoor cat. whereas ours is strictly indoors

The second option is to find a boarding place for him for a week. I'm not sure how this works, but we have plenty of time to look ahead for it.

The last option is to hire someone to catsit for the week, but our landlord is notoriously unworkable regarding things like this (he'd go crazy if we let a stranger or a hired person or family member do this for a week) and we don't feel like dealing with the possible issues here, as we have an incredible rent rate in one of the most expensive rental markets in the USA and he doesn't raise our rent, so we don't want to even dare gently caress with this. We're in a somewhat not-so-legal situation with our rental, so... we want to protect that. To give an example of how unworkable he is, I gave my visiting buddy a key so he could go smoke real quick, and about ten minutes after my buddy returned our landlord texted us asking who the stranger with the key was. If we have anyone stay over for a day or two, we have to explicitly let him know, and any stay longer than a weekend he considers subletting. I don't loving know, but we are paying something like $2000 BMR for a big apartment, so... not gonna push it.

What do the cat experts of this thread think?

Our cat is a friendly guy, very vocal, but we don't know how he is with other cats or animals yet. We were thinking of taking up him to my girlfriend's parents house for a weekend and seeing how things go, but I'm not even sure if this will do anything useful with regards to familiarizing the animals or making it less stressful for them.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Can her parents visit your house? You usually have to have someone visit every couple of days to make sure your house insurance is valid anyway.

It sounds like it might be a bit of a trip though?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Since the landlord has nothing better to do other than spy on your house all day see if they'll take $100 to take care of the cat.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I would say board him, it's the least complicated and least dramatic issue. Find a place where it's not just the cat in a tiny cage. I've seen places with cat trees and stuff. (Also some places fill up quick so do it asap, and obviously look at reviews.)

I definitely wouldn't put him at the parents house with the dogs and other stuff, that is going to be WAY too stressful for the cat. And if your landlord is crazy and you have a good deal, I really wouldn't push your luck.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Boogalo posted:

Since the landlord has nothing better to do other than spy on your house all day see if they'll take $100 to take care of the cat.

This isn't a bad idea either, if you can get the landlord to come in every 2 days to change litter & feed (you'll have to leave a ton of food and water out while you're gone). But you really have to trust him/her because obviously if they don't hold up their end that's quite bad.

So I still say board the cat because then you know for sure cat will be fed and looked after.

E: I go to the hospital a lot so I have someone I know well come in every other day, but one of my cats loves to splash water and unfortunately the person put out a BIG dish of water instead of the little ones, so when I got back my floor was ruined and the water bowl was empty. Stupid cat. So yeah it's tricky to have someone else watch the cats.

Moron in question

(The reason I don't board them is money, I had 8 cats at the time so $$$$$)

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 24, 2017

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
If you're going to have somebody else visit occasionally I'd suggest setting up a camera you can view remotely. That way you can make sure the cat is OK. I'd be very worried they'd miss a day or two :(

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

loving loving gently caress I had something delivered early in the morning and I was so half asleep that it didn't occur to me to lock the cats away while the door was open and Peridot escaped. If it were Pepper I wouldn't worry at all because she'd come straight back but Peridot is dumb as hell and terrified of everything except Pepper.

I found her holed up in a kennel in my neighbour's back yard and he and I and my housemate then made things worse by trying to get her to go into her cat carrier so I could carry her home, instead we just succeeded in scaring her more and now we don't know where she is.

I've shut Pepper in a room with all her things so we can open as many doors and windows as possible in case she comes back :( it's really hot today though so I doubt she's going anywhere before evening.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Organza Quiz posted:

loving loving gently caress I had something delivered early in the morning and I was so half asleep that it didn't occur to me to lock the cats away while the door was open and Peridot escaped. If it were Pepper I wouldn't worry at all because she'd come straight back but Peridot is dumb as hell and terrified of everything except Pepper.

I found her holed up in a kennel in my neighbour's back yard and he and I and my housemate then made things worse by trying to get her to go into her cat carrier so I could carry her home, instead we just succeeded in scaring her more and now we don't know where she is.

I've shut Pepper in a room with all her things so we can open as many doors and windows as possible in case she comes back :( it's really hot today though so I doubt she's going anywhere before evening.

When I was younger we had cats who were allowed out in the day and had to come in at night. Had to go out and call them most evenings when it was getting dark. Try just standing there yelling her name and shaking a box of cat food, is what I'm getting at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Organza Quiz posted:

She'll come back when she's hungry. 99% of the time they're not far away. Usually they come back within 24 hours. She knows where the food/hugs/warms are.