Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I don't remember the actual event but there was a time in recent years where he acted completely irrationally.

Recently there were dozens of russian incursions in european airspace. What's the point ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

GaussianCopula posted:

Is he? He knew after observing American inaction in Syria that he could take the Crimea, because Obama would do nothing of consequence to stop him.

Just because he could rationally assess that he could do something with little consequence doesn't mean he's any less insane for it. Granted, I don't think it's a useful descriptor for him. Calling him a selfish, power-hungry autocrat would be more apt. The annexation of Crimea in the manner in which it happened, the continued friction with Ukraine, and the other points of friction he's elected to fan the flames of, satisfy his need for a source of popularity at the long-term cost of peace and harmony among states. I would rather that neither I nor anyone else end up suffering so that Putin can prove to the Russian people that his dick is huge, but that's where we are now, and where we're very likely to continue to be in future.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

unpacked robinhood posted:

I don't remember the actual event but there was a time in recent years where he acted completely irrationally.

Recently there were dozens of russian incursions in european airspace. What's the point ?

To mock Europe.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

YF-23 posted:

Just because he could rationally assess that he could do something with little consequence doesn't mean he's any less insane for it. Granted, I don't think it's a useful descriptor for him. Calling him a selfish, power-hungry autocrat would be more apt. The annexation of Crimea in the manner in which it happened, the continued friction with Ukraine, and the other points of friction he's elected to fan the flames of, satisfy his need for a source of popularity at the long-term cost of peace and harmony among states. I would rather that neither I nor anyone else end up suffering so that Putin can prove to the Russian people that his dick is huge, but that's where we are now, and where we're very likely to continue to be in future.

There is a cynical logic to what he is doing, and while aggressive, it does seem he is essentially playing "chess" with humanity. If anything I think he is stupid or insane is more dangerous than acknowledging he is actually logical and a real threat.

For me, the troubling part is there isn't really any sort of leader or leadership left in the West to challenge him more than relatively nominally. While the West still have an absurd economic and military advantage, there seems very little desire to win the game essentially.

Putin is beatable, but as long as his strategy goes unchallenged he is going to win by default.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
More powerful smaller states (or factions within a state) that keep infighting over petty disputes while blatantly ignoring a (rising) powerful strongman on their borders until it is too late is essentially History 101.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/no-10-covered-up-trident-missile-fiasco-hch3shsrn

lmbo.

I would comment something but reality is funnier than anything I can think of.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Ardennes posted:

While the West still have an absurd economic and military advantage, there seems very little desire to win the game essentially.

Putin is beatable, but as long as his strategy goes unchallenged he is going to win by default.

How do you define "winning" here?

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Russia is a paper tiger but everyone else is just a stack of papers.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Kassad posted:

How do you define "winning" here?

For the Russians, neutralizing the US/NATO as an effective entity that could oppose then while they return to dominance in the former Soviet Union. Ultimately, the hope is probably to probably "Finlandize" the EU not destroy it. Basically, make the EU a neutral entity that is too divided to oppose Russian interests in Eastern Europe but nevertheless is stable enough to sell energy to.

This probably also includes dividing up much of Eurasia with China, with China's sphere including East Asia and Africa while Russia obviously dominates Europe and the Middle East. Latin America would be of "mixed control" between Russia/China/US. Moreover, the Chinese will help essentially bankroll this project in exchange for access to energy from Russia and access to western markets.

At this point Putin's biggest roadblock is Merkel at this point who can see combat considerable influence in the EU, enough to stymie Russian efforts. That said, Italy/France/Netherlands seem to be trending in their favor.

None of this is nuts considering it looks like we smack in the middle of this project as it is.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

YF-23 posted:

There were far more reasons for Crimea happening than just some rally-round-the-flag points, that was but one small benefit. You call 'peace and harmony' a long term cost but it's not at all-- all of this ensured the port in crimea is staying in russian hands for a very long time and the resultant chaos has ensured Ukraine will not be in the EU for a very long time. Win Win. Putin was already popular enough at any rate, getting an additional bump was nice of course but there's not much evidence to support it being one of the primary motivators.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
#French_PS_Primaries
OK in the end I didn't vote because I couldn't bring myself to care. My wife voted for Hamon.

That's my story for today.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I think making sure Valls doesn't win is a worthwhile goal.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

What's the outcome that makes it least likely the run off will be Fillon vs. LePen?

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

I sure as hell didn't vote, I'm visiting the Harry Potter studios in London (they own) and having a great time.

Baron Corbyn posted:

What's the outcome that makes it least likely the run off will be Fillon vs. LePen?

Montebourg winning and stepping behind Mélenchon

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Baron Corbyn posted:

Based on the available polling, that would only happen if the PS ran the farthest left candidate possible so the centrist PS vote all goes for Macron.

e: that was poorly phrased on my part - what I meant was that the only plausible way for Le Pen to be kept out of the second round is for the PS to run a far left candidate.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 22, 2017

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

Based on the available polling, that would only happen if the PS ran the farthest left candidate possible so the centrist PS vote all goes for Macron.

The polls I've seen suggest Hamon might win the primary so that could happen?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Not sure what the story is now or if means much but turnout was around 450k at lunchtime whereas it was over 1m at the same time in the LR primary.
Think it was harder/less easy to register for the PS one though. Makes for poo poo headlines though

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I don't see how it could have been easier to vote for the FGOP primaries. Here it was just tell which locality you're from, give one euro, sign the register, and put a ballot in the urn.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 22, 2017

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oh I was probably thinking for the online method for expats. My wife tried last week and said the cut off for online registration as 4th Jan

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i wanted to vote 20 mins ago but it was closed :(

wanted to vote Hamon for his very Jojo name

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

Cat Mattress posted:

I don't see how it could have been easier to vote for the FGOP primaries. Here it was just tell which locality you're from, give one euro, sign the register, and put a ballot in the urn.

You need to pay to vote?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Eezee posted:

You need to pay to vote?

For the Primaries yes. It's to provide a disincentive for your political opponents to try and rig your primary.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Eezee posted:

You need to pay to vote?

It was cheaper than for the Républicain primary, too.

Hamon beating Valls fills me with joy in the short term, but I fear it might hurt Mélenchon's numbers. On the other hand, his name recognition is much lower, so who knows.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
here's a video of the results of the primaries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqc_27cpQ80

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
First results are in, Hamon in the lead at 35%, Valls behind with 31%, Montebourg in third with 18% and everyone else with comedy numbers.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
gently caress off Valls

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Well I'm voting Hamon next sunday.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kurtofan posted:

wanted to vote Hamon for his very Jojo name

Toutank Hamon for Pharaoh

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Peillon is so loving boring Jesus Christ

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

julian assflange posted:

He's a philosophy teacher.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

julian assflange posted:

Understatement of the decade.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
I'm not sure "exciting" is a quality we necessarily need in heads of state guys.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I'm not sure "exciting" is a quality we necessarily need in heads of state guys.

His hands are so goddamn tiny. It's freaking me out.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Lord of the Llamas posted:

For the Primaries yes. It's to provide a disincentive for your political opponents to try and rig your primary.

How is having to pay €1 going to stop that

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Phlegmish posted:

How is having to pay €1 going to stop that
Even trivial barriers can be enough to stop large numbers of people from doing something stupid/obnoxious just for the lols.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Since the opponents are the right wing, they could write "caisse de solidarité des fonctionnaires en grève" on the money box to make sure there's no attempt at sabotage.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Cat Mattress posted:

Since the opponents are the right wing, they could write "caisse de solidarité des fonctionnaires en grève" on the money box to make sure there's no attempt at sabotage.

Or "Help me finance my interracial gay marriage!"

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

tsa posted:

There were far more reasons for Crimea happening than just some rally-round-the-flag points, that was but one small benefit. You call 'peace and harmony' a long term cost but it's not at all-- all of this ensured the port in crimea is staying in russian hands for a very long time and the resultant chaos has ensured Ukraine will not be in the EU for a very long time. Win Win. Putin was already popular enough at any rate, getting an additional bump was nice of course but there's not much evidence to support it being one of the primary motivators.

By far the most generous interpretation you can have for Putin's foreign policy is that he's an ideologue nationalist that believes in putting his country first. But that is still selfishly putting what he believes is important over the welfare of everyone else. By that interpretation, he is trying to satisfy his need for what he perceives to be good leadership, and in that quest he's sacrificed the lives of ordinary people who had to suffer through the Ukrainian conflict and the livelihoods of people affected by his antagonising the west. Perhaps then I should retract my statement on this being a more generous view; in this case, where he's not looking for popular approval, he's not trying to prove to the Russian people that his dick is huge, but to himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

YF-23 posted:

By far the most generous interpretation you can have for Putin's foreign policy is that he's an ideologue nationalist that believes in putting his country first. But that is still selfishly putting what he believes is important over the welfare of everyone else. By that interpretation, he is trying to satisfy his need for what he perceives to be good leadership, and in that quest he's sacrificed the lives of ordinary people who had to suffer through the Ukrainian conflict and the livelihoods of people affected by his antagonising the west. Perhaps then I should retract my statement on this being a more generous view; in this case, where he's not looking for popular approval, he's not trying to prove to the Russian people that his dick is huge, but to himself.

He is looking for popular approval because he knows that revolutions do happen time to time in Russia and that in order to keep on leeching from the country, he needs to control it completely. Part of that control is coming up with schemes to both distract the population and expands Russia's interest abroad.

If should know anything about Putin, is that he was doing all types of shady poo poo in St.Petersburg during the 1990s and his reputation for corruption is well deserved.