Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
It's Troper-speak for what's basically a female Chad.

Don't ask me why I know this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

It's Troper-speak for what's basically a female Chad.

Don't ask me why I know this.

The gently caress is a "Chad"?

Garrand has a new favorite as of 05:37 on Jan 21, 2017

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Garrand posted:

A male Libby

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Garrand posted:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

walrusman posted:

I thought it was going to be some hip slang for a "liberal" but from the context of the story I guess it's just a...mean...girl? :confused:

I'm sure it's a super-trenchant commentary on a character from a Sonic-themed dating sim that somehow has ten times as many trope references as Othello, though.

It's surely a reference to Sabrina the Teenage Witch?

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Baron Corbyn posted:

It's surely a reference to Sabrina the Teenage Witch?

It is, yeah. They have since changed the name of the trope from "The Libby" to "Alpha Bitch" as part of the effort to make the trope names less in-jokey

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

We, as a culture, really gotta start reigning in use of the term PTSD.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LanceHunter posted:

We, as a culture, really gotta start reigning in use of the term PTSD.

Agreed.

See someone die in front of you? Probably PTSD

Someone forgot to call you by your preferred pronoun? Not PTSD

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

flosofl posted:

Agreed.

See someone die in front of you? Probably PTSD

Someone forgot to call you by your preferred pronoun? Not PTSD

Time for a swing at those pesky transsexuals I see. What lead up to this?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Garrand posted:

Vintaga post from November 2000 right here.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dejawesp posted:

Time for a swing at those pesky transsexuals I see. What lead up to this?

I was referring to the Tumblr posters who say they're "literally shaking" because their dragon-kin status isn't recognized by everyone. Which obviously causes Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

But you read it however you want.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

flosofl posted:

I was referring to the Tumblr posters who say they're "literally shaking" because their dragon-kin status isn't recognized by everyone. Which obviously causes Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

But you read it however you want.

I think you're referring to the mountain of posts complaining about those posts. Rather than the insignificantly few people actually claiming PTSD on the web over pronouns.

Edit: Something something attack helicopter.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Lol this person has body dismorphic disorder , BUT IM AN ATTACK HELICOPTER!

LOL guys! Im so edgy and funny.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Dejawesp posted:

I think you're referring to the mountain of posts complaining about those posts. Rather than the insignificantly few people actually claiming PTSD on the web over pronouns.

Edit: Something something attack helicopter.

Welcome to the shit_that_didnt_happen.txt thread. This is where we gather posts from the "insignificantly few people" who talk about their fake PTSD on the internet.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

LanceHunter posted:

Welcome to the shit_that_didnt_happen.txt thread. This is where we gather posts from the "insignificantly few people" who talk about their fake PTSD on the internet.

But his outrage that we're making fun of weird internet people on the Something Awful forums must be expressed!!!!!!!!!!!!! He's been registered for literally 2 weeks and he has an avatar and is posting lovely opinions in a PYF thread. It's just a trolly re-reg, not worth your effort.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

More like people just use PTSD as a throwaway term and not for its actual meaning.

Like, "I just got PTSD from almost being in a car crash" the person saying it doesn't actually mean they think they really have PTSD, just that it was scary and annoying over-exaggeration is apparently a thing.

Contrast with, (trigger warning) "He has PTSD from being in a car crash and seeing someone burn to death" or She has PTSD because she was sexually assaulted" which is probably not exaggeration because you could actually get PTSD from those things.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

People use it trivially just like they use ADHD or OCD.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Edit: Ignore me I need to learn to read.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Quote written by a guy. The picture is literally page 1 on google for "female police" and he loses points for picking Canadian police officers.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'd rather not feel equal to people who are getting shot and stabbed and such-like.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Hihohe posted:

Lol this person has body dismorphic disorder , BUT IM AN ATTACK HELICOPTER!

LOL guys! Im so edgy and funny.

Well, attack helicopters do have triggers.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
I like how the writer misses the point of what protests are for (hint: it's not about feeling equal to men, it's about voicing your disagreement with government, which gets a little sketchy if you try to do it with guns and vests)

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
True feminists shoot policemen. A good stdh.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

This one is a bit on the cheap side but I'll post it anyway since activity has been low.

quote:

I get lumped in with a lot of these extremist anti-CIS, anti-men, anti-white SJWs whenever I talk about my struggles and my activism. I don't hate cis people, or white people, or straight people, or anyone for that matter. But I do think the majority of hatred these days is directed toward the wrong people. We should be fighting our oppressors and enemies and anyone else who means to do us harm... not our allies. Generalizing anyone by the colour of their skin, gender, sexuality, or how they identify sexually is no better than any other racist, sexist, genderist, bigot. That's not fighting for equality, it's just a toxic distraction.

I'm sure you are OP.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Dejawesp posted:

This one is a bit on the cheap side but I'll post it anyway since activity has been low.

I'm sure you are OP.

I love/hate how every single one of these cookie cutter "As a (strawman imgur hates), I think (bigoted thing Imgur loves)" is so glaringly obviously fake but Imgur still puts every single one to the front page :cripes: It's like when people kept looking into the post history of "As a black person, I love donald trump!" people on reddit and lo and behold, every time there'd be personal selfies of a very clearly white dude.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Danaru posted:

I love/hate how every single one of these cookie cutter "As a (strawman imgur hates), I think (bigoted thing Imgur loves)" is so glaringly obviously fake but Imgur still puts every single one to the front page :cripes: It's like when people kept looking into the post history of "As a black person, I love donald trump!" people on reddit and lo and behold, every time there'd be personal selfies of a very clearly white dude.

If you read it in reverse it essentially says "You SJWs. Stay clear of the straight, white, cis males. Because those are the things that the OP makes a clear point that they are certainly not against.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

didn't know forums poster Noyemi posts on Imgur :iamafag:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Is no one else questioning the censorship of "wom*n"? Is this something people do that I don't know about?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Is no one else questioning the censorship of "wom*n"? Is this something people do that I don't know about?

Deliberate changes in spelling. I'm thinking it has to do with feminism and followers of some of the various feminist movements changing the spelling to womyn or some such to denote their relationship with said movements.

Also something about not assuming someone's gender identity I guess.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Some feminists started intentionally misspelling or censoring "woman" as they found even the English word sexist, claiming that it assumes that males are the norm and females are simply a variation on men.

It's actually a glaring lack of research into the etymology: originally "man" was what denoted that you were a human being. Males were wermenn and females were wifmenn. Over time the language evolved so that males got the prefix removed, but intentionally misspelling "womyn" is ironically removing the part of the noun that makes them people.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

chitoryu12 posted:

It's actually a glaring lack of research into the etymology: originally "man" was what denoted that you were a human being. Males were wermenn and females were wifmenn. Over time the language evolved so that males got the prefix removed, but intentionally misspelling "womyn" is ironically removing the part of the noun that makes them people.
:goonsay:

Yeah but your etymological explanation only really matters to the few people who know it and give a poo poo about it.

I guess to them it's more about the symbolic gesture of removing the "man" in it, not some fine point about English etymology. Most people are going to see man and woman and figure the same thing as they did.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fathis Munk posted:

:goonsay:

Yeah but your etymological explanation only really matters to the few people who know it and give a poo poo about it.

I guess to them it's more about the symbolic gesture of removing the "man" in it, not some fine point about English etymology. Most people are going to see man and woman and figure the same thing as they did.

I'm just wondering what the reaction would be if you presented someone who did the "womyn" thing with the explanation that they're accidentally removing the part that makes them people rather than the part that compares them to males.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm just wondering what the reaction would be if you presented someone who did the "womyn" thing with the explanation that they're accidentally removing the part that makes them people rather than the part that compares them to males.

Mansplaining

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
They probs wouldn't care cause language is a flexible construct and the meaning of that move is pretty obvious in the modern context. :shrug:

Anyways this is a stupid derail, let's leave it at that, sorry for bringing it up.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

probably the response you just got.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

chitoryu12 posted:

i wonder what the reaction would be if you presented someone who calls a clothing-protecting garment worn during cooking "apron" with the explanation that they're accidentally removing the part that makes the word mean anything

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Since you have a fetish for explaining things I'm sure you'll get off regardless of the reaction you'll get

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Dejawesp posted:

Quote written by a guy. The picture is literally page 1 on google for "female police" and he loses points for picking Canadian police officers.

These are my local police, so I decided to look up where the image
originally came from.

And of course, the entire article is about treating people with respect and courtesy, helping your community, and being supportive of other women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Low Desert Punk posted:

an all-time classic

It's funny because the Beatles are just the Justin Bieber of the 60's.