Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should it be legal for other people to assault you if they disagree with you?
This poll is closed.
Yes 183 49.06%
No 190 50.94%
Total: 328 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
The idea that we need to treat all political perspectives as mere discourse, protected by the norms of civil conversation is a fine and good idea when the radical right isn't taking over the government and threatening to overturn all political norms. White nationalist ethnic cleansing has an extremely real threat of becoming an accepted view, and that cannot happen. The previous norms of politics are being upended, and it is our responsibility to force Nazis back into their hidey holes and bed sheets and let it be known that their views cannot be on the table for mainstream political discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

Are you saying that being a Nazi is an intrinsic and inseparable aspect of a person's identity? That they have no choice in the matter and will simply always be Nazis?

I'm also OK with silencing Nazi speech. It's the whole "Racist Tree" thing.

how's the racist tree thing work, is that like when you cut down the tree, dig up the stump, burn all the seeds, dig out a twelve-foot pit where the stump once stood and dump all the dirt into a blast furnace, then salt an ever-widening ring of soil around where the tree once stood in a kind of paranoid weekly ceremony until the county tells you to stop before you destroy every piece of property in the area because they're nazi sympathizers who don't understand

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Doorknob Slobber posted:

hate speech isn't mere speech

Hate Speech isn't real, friend.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
Arguing against the analogy is embarrassingly sophomoric drivel.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure we all agree that if you were living in a Nazi-occupied country, it would be moral to murder Nazis. That means there's some kind of moral continuum here that has to do with the political context you live in.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
The handwringers itt are exactly the kind of people who will ensure that fascism comes to power, not because they voted for them but because they treat it as a continuity of normalcy because you'd rather tacitly approve what should never be approved.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

AARO posted:

Arguing against the analogy is embarrassingly sophomoric drivel.

You are embarassingly sophomoric drivel.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

how's the racist tree thing work, is that like when you cut down the tree, dig up the stump, burn all the seeds, dig out a twelve-foot pit where the stump once stood and dump all the dirt into a blast furnace, then salt an ever-widening ring of soil around where the tree once stood in a kind of paranoid weekly ceremony until the county tells you to stop before you destroy every piece of property in the area because they're nazi sympathizers who don't understand

I'd be cool with something like that. It's obviously something that needs doing. Maybe we can inter the ashes in some kind of yucca mountain site type thing so dumb basement dwelling nerds with deep-seated sexual issues don't dig up and rediscover it.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

how's the racist tree thing work

quote:

The Racist Tree

By Alexander Blechman

Once upon a time, there was a racist tree. Seriously, you are going to hate this tree. High on a hill overlooking the town, the racist tree grew where the grass was half clover. Children would visit during the sunlit hours and ask for apples, and the racist tree would shake its branches and drop the delicious red fruit that gleamed without being polished. The children ate many of the racist tree's apples and played games beneath the shade of its racist branches. One day the children brought Sam, a boy who had just moved to town, to play around the racist tree.

"Let Sam have an apple," asked a little girl.

"I don't think so. He's black," said the tree. This shocked the children and they spoke to the tree angrily, but it would not shake its branches to give Sam an apple, and it called him a friend of the family.

"I can't believe the racist tree is such a racist," said one child. The children momentarily reflected that perhaps this kind of behavior was how the racist tree got its name.

It was decided that if the tree was going to deny apples to Sam then nobody would take its apples. The children stopped visiting the racist tree.

The racist tree grew quite lonely. After many solitary weeks it saw a child flying a kite across the clover field.

"Can I offer you some apples?" asked the tree eagerly.

"gently caress off, you goddamn Nazi," said the child.

The racist tree was upset, because while it was very racist, it did not personally subscribe to Hitler's fascist ideology. The racist tree decided that it would have to give apples to black children, not because it was tolerant, but because otherwise it would face ostracism from white children.

And so, social progress was made.

Ideally, you'd make the racist tree not racist, but simply shaming the racist tree so it can no longer act on its racism is positive social progress.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

AARO posted:

You people make the stupidest arguments.

An analogy is obviously not the exact same thing as the situation it is analogous to. Otherwise you would just be repeating the same scenario twice.

In my analogy the man said he was gay. Don't you understand that the I, by my act of presenting the analogy, get to set up the parameters for this nonexistent situation?

are you really trying to argue that your hypothetical gay man wouldn't be punched for being gay without outing himself because he's your hypothetical gay man and you set the rules for what happens to him?

cause in your question you asked if he would be punched if he did not speak. and i listed a few that still fit with your scenario but disproved your supposition

Condiv fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 22, 2017

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

Condiv posted:

are you really trying to argue that your hypothetical gay man wouldn't be punched for being gay without outing himself because he's your hypothetical gay man and you set the rules for what happens to him?

cause in your question you asked if he would be punched if he did not speak. and i listed a few that still fit with your scenario but disproved your supposition

In the situation I set forth the reason he was punched was for stating that he was gay. It was not his being gay that triggered the punch, it was that he had spoken such.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Christ alive.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Punch the Nazi

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

AARO posted:

In the situation I set forth the reason he was punched was for stating that he was gay. It was not his being gay that triggered the punch, it was that he had spoken such.

In the situation you set forth he was punched for saying that he was gay, thus marking him as a member of the human category "gay", thus establishing that he is indeed gay. He wasn't punched for an idea, he was punched for who he was.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I will punch AARO

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Calibanibal posted:

I will punch AARO

I'll hold him you hit him.
:hfive:

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

Calibanibal posted:

I will punch AARO

here

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I think a fallacy in US society that a lot of people(especially white liberals and conservatives) have bought into is this notion that all acts of violence are equally wrong. This idea is something you often see on TV and in movies.

Punching a person because they're gay and punching a person because they're a nazi are not the same thing. The reasons why you're doing something are just as important as the thing you're doing.

The fallacy is that all opinions are valid. That's what's being argued in the thread. That people are entitled to want to tear down the pillars of our society while hiding behind them.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The fallacy is that all opinions are valid. That's what's being argued in the thread. That people are entitled to want to tear down the pillars of our society while hiding behind them.

Not an empty quote.

This is why Rust Belters love the idea of "Coastal Elites in their Ivory Towers" or "Starbucks/Limosine Liberals".

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Did you know it was illegal to help slaves escape?

committing a crime :ohdear:

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
You can't punch Nazis, you'll be setting a poor example that will lead to more Nazi punching! :ohdear:

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Did you know it was illegal to help slaves escape?

committing a crime :ohdear:

didn't you know? if you help slaves escape it sets a precedent for stealing property, then you're embracing the norm of a lawless society. geez people, there's a reason we have these social and legal norms.
<:mad:>

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
You'll be tearing apart the social and political norms that Nazis themselves are diligently working to tear apart, even as a write this, if you punch Nazis!

Better to let them do their work out in the open and in peace :allears:

After they're finished we can have a nice chat with them, if they're up for it.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

yellowyams posted:

didn't you know? if you help slaves escape it sets a precedent for stealing property, then you're embracing the norm of a lawless society. geez people, there's a reason we have these social and legal norms.
<:mad:>
I could get behind helping slaves escape if I wasn't so sure it would lead to people thinking they could steal my horse and buggy with impunity :colbert:

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
Did you know if you post a bunch of straw man arguments you're a loving idiot?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

AARO posted:

Slippery slope arguments are okay though?

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

Kilroy posted:

Slippery slope arguments are okay though?

All the arguments I have presented in this thread are iron clad and no one has even made a serious attempt to refute a single thing I've said.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

AARO posted:

All the arguments I have presented in this thread are iron clad and no one has even made a serious attempt to refute a single thing I've said.

Nice meltdown.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

AARO posted:

Did you know modern events have a historical context? It's a secret, don't tell anyone.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

AARO posted:

laffo

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

AARO posted:

Would this be when you implied that punching Nazis is tantamount to imposing thoughtcrime (it isn't)? Or was it when you asserted that it is never okay punch people except out of self-defense, which is also hilariously wrong?

Or do you just mean that thinking a thing is true really hard ought to count for something when making an argument?

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

AARO posted:

it's your fault for assuming people wanted to discuss the issue rather than live out violent fantasies

it makes more sense if you think of debate & discussion as being like dungeons & dragons except with nazis instead of orcs

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

it's your fault for assuming people wanted to discuss the issue rather than live out violent fantasies

it makes more sense if you think of debate & discussion as being like dungeons & dragons except with nazis instead of orcs

you have been consistently wrong on everything you've posted here, and every time you're gracefully retreated, saying "i don't know enough about this, i haven't read up on that". yet at no point of the discussion you've managed to make the mental connection to realize that, holy poo poo, maybe you should read some loving books before you dump your sophomoric mental ejaculations all over us. and now you actually post some smug "people here just don't think" poo poo.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

Seriously? If that's all this is I can totally respect that.

It really does explain the lack of cogent responses.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

Hi, quick question, did you see the cartoon I posted earlier in the thread? Which side do you think you would have been on when that came out?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Mainly you've both made the mistake of thinking that whether to tolerate literal loving Nazis who want to literally commit literal genocide, is a question with no obvious answer and lots of nuance. In fact, the answer is obvious and blunt: "No, of course we don't tolerate that - what the gently caress is the matter with you?"

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
As someone living in a comfortable white suburb calling for peace and nonviolence, unlike Antifa and BLM protesters, I'm pretty sure I would have marched with MLK and fought against Hitler had I been living in those eras.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

yellowyams posted:

Hi, quick question, did you see the cartoon I posted earlier in the thread? Which side do you think you would have been on when that came out?

nope

i mean i don't like nazis but i like violence even less, and posters in the thread got kinda weird and tinfoil-ish about trump and the impending trump disasters, so it all just seems kind of silly from outsider's perspective to see people advocating fisticuffs and rebellion against the white supremacist capitalist patriarchy or w/e i'm supposed to call it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesus Horse
Feb 24, 2004

• Locked thread