Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Gibbering posted:

Good lord, how do you do that with a fracture. I mean, I've busted my ribs and my tailbone and imagining that in my leg while trying to be athletic seems impossible.

Not only do it but it do it beautifully. Brown's program was gorgeous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Pardon the caps, but NATHAN JUST DID FIVE QUADS!

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
The poor announcers were so stunned. One of them said, "I can't," and trailed off.

SelfOM
Jun 15, 2010
Jesus 5 quads, 4 different types.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

SelfOM posted:

Jesus 5 quads, 4 different types.

Worlds is going to be amazing.
For eveyone's information, European Champtionships are next weekend. Javier Fernandez will be trying for his 5th consecutive win. Me, I'll actually be watching the ladies for once.

SelfOM
Jun 15, 2010
Ladies is going to be a blood bath. Can't wait to see Caroline Kostner at Europeans.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I feel like we need a skating megathread. I don't think I'd do an OP justice though.

Chedranian Girl
Sep 15, 2008

IS THAT A WEAPON?
I would LOVE somewhere to follow Actual Skating, if someone did a thread or similar. I have no idea where to start to find these skates, I'm in the UK and don't know how to watch them live or recorded. Any help would be very appreciated!

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Chedranian Girl posted:

I would LOVE somewhere to follow Actual Skating, if someone did a thread or similar. I have no idea where to start to find these skates, I'm in the UK and don't know how to watch them live or recorded. Any help would be very appreciated!

This blog usually tells you how to watch most competitions along with having a TON of other cool stuff about skating.

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong

Maera Sior posted:

Worlds is going to be amazing.

The next season of yoi is going to be amazing. The only question is which character is going to pull off 6 different quads? Not JJ

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The thought suddenly occurs, do skaters get those sort of leg breaks you sometimes see in other sports? They've got to be landing quite heavily and fast off some jumps, and I can't imagine that's good for your bones.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

The_Doctor posted:

The thought suddenly occurs, do skaters get those sort of leg breaks you sometimes see in other sports? They've got to be landing quite heavily and fast off some jumps, and I can't imagine that's good for your bones.

Do you mean Kevin Ware style bone-sticking-out-of-my-leg-in-the-middle-of-a-game injuries? Figure skating events are spaced out like boxing matches so serious injuries tend to be discovered in practice rather than the day of the competition.

Torn ALCs, meniscus tears, dislocated joints, and tendinitis are more common. Skaters also tend to have stress fractures, especially in their ankles. The most serious injuries tend to be in pairs since you have side by side spins and throws with no protective equipment.

A lot of injuries in singles skating come from poor technique and poorly fitted boots than the jumps themselves. Not that repeatedly landing on a thin blade with over four times your body weight is great for you.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

https://twitter.com/JohnnyGWeir/status/823974681875193856

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong

Who's performance will he do? Place your bets now.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

Miss Nomer posted:

Who's performance will he do? Place your bets now.

I'd bet on Agape since he mentioned before that it spoke to him.

Comedy option: he makes Phichit on Ice a reality (hamster emote goes here)

RainbowCake
Apr 1, 2010

Refurbished cats may have scratches, dents or other forms of cosmetic damage which do not affect the performance of the unit.

Adel posted:

This, please

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

Adel posted:

Agape would be wonderful, but this is best option.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I was looking in the comments section of a Youtube video for some song from the soundtrack, and this guy said how Yuri On Ice inspired him to start figure skating. He then said that his coach says he could make it to Nationals after a year or so. Clearly this guy is an uber-prodigy, a demi-god of figure skating who has descended from the heavens to grace us with his unprecedented talent.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

I was looking in the comments section of a Youtube video for some song from the soundtrack, and this guy said how Yuri On Ice inspired him to start figure skating. He then said that his coach says he could make it to Nationals after a year or so. Clearly this guy is an uber-prodigy, a demi-god of figure skating who has descended from the heavens to grace us with his unprecedented talent.

Do you remember his name?

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

Unmature posted:

Do you remember his name?

weedgoku420

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

im permabanned poster niggerstomper58. i first started watching Yuri on Ice when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "figure skating" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "triple lutz" and "JJ STYLE" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "figure skating" style of Yuri on Ice was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" Yuri on Ice to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
A small update on the Eros costume. I got the pattern mostly drafted, and I'll just sort of jam my leggings pattern onto the bottom when I get there.

Like the fleece jacket, it's unfortunately drawn really inconsistently, and with seams where no normal person would put them. (I know they worked with a designer for the costumes, but their drawings are radically different, and make more sense sewing-wise. But I'm trying to be accurate to the show, so you get a weird pattern like...that.) The applique at least looks pretty easy. Honestly, the glove hands and zipper are what I'm looking forward to least. You can see me starting to pattern out the gems (?) and I have to make a decision on how I'm going to attach them (basically, before or after construction) soon, before I start cutting. Might make some samples this week to test.

Also made the image for my jacket patch. I'm going to print this on t-shirt transfer paper, iron it onto some white fabric, and satin stitch it to the jacket, It would be nice to embroider it, but with Katsu just over two weeks away, it's not happening.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Incoming meta:

This is why I'm at peace with Episode 12: Katsuki Yuuri's journey, Victor Nikiforov's journey

I thought the first part was better than the second, as it's backed up with more substance, and Victor's section doesn't mention the Eros and Agape routines at all (a rather large hole IMO). There's also the caveat that these were working with the Crunchyroll subs and thus there may be some nuances missing (or just bad translations, as we're still waiting on the post about the translation for episodes 7-12). But if you like meta, you should still read these.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://twitter.com/blau678/status/825386246625120257

Chedranian Girl
Sep 15, 2008

IS THAT A WEAPON?

Maera Sior posted:

Incoming meta:

This is why I'm at peace with Episode 12: Katsuki Yuuri's journey, Victor Nikiforov's journey

I thought the first part was better than the second, as it's backed up with more substance, and Victor's section doesn't mention the Eros and Agape routines at all (a rather large hole IMO). There's also the caveat that these were working with the Crunchyroll subs and thus there may be some nuances missing (or just bad translations, as we're still waiting on the post about the translation for episodes 7-12). But if you like meta, you should still read these.

These are really, really good. I'll forgive the 'headcanonny' stuff because it all seems pretty accurate with the evidence we have so far, really! I personally was at peace with (and really loved) the ending of S1 anyway and this only re-enforces my thoughts, really. Really nice reads, thanks for sharing!

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky
This is going to come out of freaking nowhere but I got the soundtrack and even though I still think JJ is a jerk and wish he'd break his legs, his theme is majestic and I've been blasting it in my car. I played it for my husband, but he just didn't understand.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Cheese Pain posted:

This is going to come out of freaking nowhere but I got the soundtrack and even though I still think JJ is a jerk and wish he'd break his legs, his theme is majestic and I've been blasting it in my car. I played it for my husband, but he just didn't understand.

You're probably a monster if you're not clapping your hands and singing during the chorus

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Troll Bridgington posted:

You're probably a monster if you're not clapping your hands and singing during the chorus

And crying.

"I'm the King JJ, no one can stop me"...

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

my ost playlist purposely doesn't have the JJ songs or the Yurio exhibition skate song :twisted:

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

dogsicle posted:

my ost playlist purposely doesn't have the JJ songs or the Yurio exhibition skate song :twisted:

What's it like being a monster?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Only song I don't have in my playlist is Anastasis.

SelfOM
Jun 15, 2010
YoI t-shirt on Russia's late night talk show:

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

dogsicle posted:

I always skip "Shall We Skate". :shrug:

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

Cheese Pain posted:

I always skip "Shall We Skate". :shrug:

You monster.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
Popping in with progress!

All that's left is to put the hook and eye on the collar (why it looks floppy right now) remove the basting stitches from the flounce (making it hang a bit awkward here) and add all the gems. I totally put the sleeves in backwards, but I don't have enough fabric or fortitude to recut so I'm just Going With It.

Don't try and make sleeve gloves out of mesh folks, it sucks real bad!

In other news I'm not a figure person really, but look at this precious little thing!

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Wow, that's loving fantastic!
Gonna be the most fabulous figure skater cosplayer at the con! :3:

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

Goldaline posted:

In other news I'm not a figure person really, but look at this precious little thing!

If anyone is interested this opened up for preorders yesterday, at Goodsmile and AmiAmi.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I preordered from cdjapan last night: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/aff/click.cgi/PytJTGW7Lok/4785/A520529/product%2FNEOGDS-223722

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

I like Figmas over Nendoroids but you bet your rear end I'm going to preorder this adorable little guy. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Yah I'm not a big nendoroid fan (though they were well suited for osomastsu-san and lol I have a dmmd one) but yuuri looks awfully cute

• Locked thread