Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I guess that 'distressed tattooing' might be a thing?

I want my tattoos pre-ripped by the factory and with bleach marks on it like I made a mistake

sleppy posted:

It is weird how faded that guy's pieces are, even ones with what look like vibrant colors. How important is the quality/cost of ink for that?

At least he helped this guy out a little. I can't imagine it looks very good at natural head position, though...

I'm the huge upper lip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Kwyndig posted:

Actually palm and sole tattoos wearing off have less to do with constant use and more to do with the body's adaptations to the underlying skin because of humanity's constant use of them over their evolution. The skin of your palms isn't anchored the same way as the skin on say your arms or legs is, and your palm has no hair follicles, no tanning response, and a few other structural differences from regular skin. The soles of your feet are similar.

Basically the way that palm/sole skin works and replenishes itself will tend to fade and eventually destroy a tattoo as it forces the ink away from where the artist originally put it. It doesn't all come out with shed skin, it gets broken apart and then dissolved by the body as well from the immune response.

Normal tattoo fading from sun exposure is actually a tint caused by your melanocytes, but since palm skin doesn't tan it's literally your tattoo breaking down!

Speaking as someone who just got a tattoo (not on his palms or fingers) this is really useful information, thank you.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Yeah, shaving wouldn't affect it at all. Shaving can exfoliate the top skin layer, but that layer doesn't actually even contain the tattoo ink. Exfoliating off that layer actually makes your tattoo look brighter so if anything, regular shaving would make it look better, not worse.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

rockcity posted:

Yeah, shaving wouldn't affect it at all. Shaving can exfoliate the top skin layer, but that layer doesn't actually even contain the tattoo ink. Exfoliating off that layer actually makes your tattoo look brighter so if anything, regular shaving would make it look better, not worse.

Yep, your tattoo ink sits just below the layer of your skin that houses melanocytes, the special cells that create melanin, your body's pigment. Which is also why white ink doesn't work on black skin, because their higher melanin content just washes it out instead of providing high contrast like you'd normally expect.

Edit: Technically, the ink is housed in a kind of scar tissue at that layer, which is why it even stays in place at all. Your skin kind of forms a shell of proteins around it (since it is a foreign body) that are somewhat transparent. Like I mentioned earlier, palm/sole skin differs structurally in that it can break that shell down over time and this moves the ink. Your body is otherwise really bad at expelling foreign matter it can't dissolve once it gets past the first few layers of skin.

Kwyndig has a new favorite as of 03:40 on Jan 23, 2017

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The rainbow probably tastes of sweat and stale beer.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I'm the z.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

His tribute to bad teeth, stink, and pnuemonia.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

rockcity posted:

Yup. I'm a lady with lots of colorful leg tattoos who shaves regularly. They all look great.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Instagram recommended this one to me from that link:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPeVgfXgZiO/

I kind of like it.

Guess he's never heard of Weapon Brown. That the concept and artwork are miles better would probably destroy him.

bummer dude
Jun 20, 2004

duuuude
This is kind of a pre-distressed tattoo.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNpMNHsjUqc/?taken-by=jesse_rix

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

:aaaaa: that's impressive

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

Chichevache posted:

:aaaaa: that's impressive

Yeah, that's pretty drat cool looking.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

lmao

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

:swoon:
Daaaaaaaamn

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Hooooooooooly poo poo

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
That's baller as gently caress

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LingcodKilla posted:

The rainbow probably tastes of sweat and stale beer.

I'm ok with that

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

That's super cool.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

sleppy posted:

It is weird how faded that guy's pieces are, even ones with what look like vibrant colors. How important is the quality/cost of ink for that?

At least he helped this guy out a little. I can't imagine it looks very good at natural head position, though...

Empire of the Rising Son

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.
I am a member of a Facebook group that's mostly about makeup but people go off topic a lot. And today's off topic post was about tattoos. I saved ~80 tattoos to share, too bad imgur only allows 50 in an album.

Here's the album of my "top" 50 terrible tattoos so far

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

ilysespieces posted:

I am a member of a Facebook group that's mostly about makeup but people go off topic a lot. And today's off topic post was about tattoos. I saved ~80 tattoos to share, too bad imgur only allows 50 in an album.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

RheaConfused posted:

Yup. I'm a lady with lots of colorful leg tattoos who shaves regularly. They all look great.

Yup. I'm a dude with lots of colorful leg tattoos who also now shaves regularly.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

ilysespieces posted:

Copy/paste "gently caress you" 80 times

Can't imagine shaving my legs on the reg, does obscure the work though :(

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

WAaaaaaaaitaminute.

Is that a selfie, or a mirror, or is it designed to only be readable as a selfie, or in a mirror, or.... how the gently caress?

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I'm telling you, it's true. People grow from spores.

ilysespieces posted:

Bottom right: but still, like air, i'll mist (?)
Fake Edit: rise

Jennifer Aubrey
Took me way too long to figure that out.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
I honestly can't tell if this is an ambigram or not.

Family Fabluer?

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I think it's meant to be "forever" when it's flipped over

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

SatansOnion posted:

I think it's meant to be "forever" when it's flipped over

This. Although at best it says "Farever", no way that's an o...

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

I dig Goodbye Kitty as a concept, if not execution.

I'd have probably rolled with Farewell Cat though.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

RickVoid posted:

I dig Goodbye Kitty as a concept, if not execution.

I'd have probably rolled with Farewell Cat though.

Just get 'aloha kitty' if you can't make up your mind.

Autechresaint has a new favorite as of 14:15 on Jan 24, 2017

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

hyperhazard posted:

I honestly can't tell if this is an ambigram or not.

Family Fabluer?

Yup, they said it's family one way and forever the other.

I have a goon friend who I insisted join that group to make fun of posts with me and she said that "family [is] forever" is a Mormon thing and we got wondering if any of the many "family forever" tattoos in that thread knew.

Then we got talking if any of them know how bad their tattoos are and if they can recognize when tattoos are just plain old better.

The thread's since doubled in length and is now over 1k comments, so obviously I've saved some more.

I don't think she knows what the word "vagina" means, but what if she's actually using it 100% accurately?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
It's like those inside-mouth tattoos

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

ilysespieces posted:

My only knowledge of sex comes from Wikipedia

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
This is the first time a comment of mine has been a thread title. I stand by my original statement!

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

treiz01 posted:

This is the first time a comment of mine has been a thread title. I stand by my original statement!

I provide the crappy material, you do the humor. :hfive:

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS has a new favorite as of 23:35 on Jan 24, 2017

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Guys check out the darkest and most brutal shop in Rhode Island: https://instagram.com/p/BOqvjVfBmvL/

"[I] like al you tattoos"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
I checked out the Facebook page for a tattoo shop down the street from me and was pleasantly surprised that the tattoos weren't horrible (I guess the lines are wonky). Now I just gotta be on the lookout for the guy in my neighborhood with this tattoo: