Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Eej posted:

More of a mild Mussolini really

Pfft. Like Spencer ever had the brains to alter train schedules so they looked like they ran on time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Did Spencer really write that passage about black genocide? I can't get my head around it, from what I've seen he dances around his racism more than that.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
No, he's the editor that published it.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
He published and edited it, and endorses the message. He's a fuckin nazi.

Seriously.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Did you miss the clip I posted where he's screaming 'Hail victory!", unironically using the Nazi term for the "lying press", and casually speculating that his political enemies aren't really people, they're just "soulless gollums animated by dark magic"?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ah, I thought people were representing that as something he wrote. I haven't seen anyone show that screencap and say that he was the editor.

I don't doubt that he is a terrible racist, nor am I defending him in any way. I just felt that the presentation was misleading, and I don't know why people would need to exaggerate anything about him.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 23, 2017

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Helsing posted:

soulless gollums animated by dark magic?

Wait, are you not?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
What do you think are the odds that Hal is grotesquely overweight

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Subjunctive posted:

I don't doubt that he is a terrible racist, nor am I defending him in any way. I just felt that the presentation was misleading, and I don't know why people would need to exaggerate anything about him.

It's a lot easier to get someone to read a short paragraph that he published and summarizes what he stands for than to get someone to watch even a short 3 minute video of a guy being a nazi.

Case in point: you.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

infernal machines posted:

Wait, are you not?

Actually I'm a shop steward for the International Brotherhood of Warlocks, Necromancers and Haruspices Local 666, we're the guys who animate the gollums.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

namaste faggots posted:

What do you think are the odds that Hal is grotesquely overweight

Careful my man, he's gonna call Vancouver SWAT on yohahahahaha

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ChairMaster posted:

It's a lot easier to get someone to read a short paragraph that he published and summarizes what he stands for than to get someone to watch even a short 3 minute video of a guy being a nazi.

Case in point: you.

What are you talking about? I watched the "hail victory" video, long ago. It's not as explicitly racist as the wayback passage, which is why I asked what I did. Why not post a short paragraph he actually wrote? Wouldn't that be more damning?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You're all being literally hitler right now.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Powershift posted:

You're all being literally hitler right now.

That's good because reading this thread is a punch to the face

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Subjunctive posted:

Why not post a short paragraph he actually wrote? Wouldn't that be more damning?

Subjunctive posted:

from what I've seen he dances around his racism more than that.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A Typical Goon posted:

That's good because reading this thread is a punch to the face

It really is pathetic how little this thread is doing for the middle class, and those working hard to join the middle class.

These must be the uncanadian values Leitch wants to screen for, and and this point i have no choice but to support her, for the good of the middle class.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Then why not be honest and say "this is something he edited" when sharing it rather than implying-or-more that he wrote it? Because you wish he'd written it? Because he's not terrible enough on his own?

Is this another time I'm the case in point? I'm trying to keep up.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

What are you talking about? I watched the "hail victory" video, long ago. It's not as explicitly racist as the wayback passage, which is why I asked what I did. Why not post a short paragraph he actually wrote? Wouldn't that be more damning?

You do know what 'Sieg Heil" means right? You do understand who he is referring to when he says "We were not meant to beg for moral validation from some of the most despicable creatures to ever populate the planet. We were meant to overcome. To overcome all of it, because that is natural and normal for us."

I mean, these aren't even dogwhistles. He's screaming Nazi slogans to a crowd of Nazis and then encouraging them to "overcome" their subhuman enemies because it's the natural order of things (hint: when a Nazi describes the "natural" way of overcoming they don't mean scoring points against you in a debate). In what way is this "dancing around" racism? He's openly calling for a race war.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Subjunctive posted:

Then why not be honest and say "this is something he edited" when sharing it rather than implying-or-more that he wrote it? Because you wish he'd written it? Because he's not terrible enough on his own?

Where are you going with this dude

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Subjunctive posted:

The white moderate, everybody.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Helsing posted:

You do know what 'Sieg Heil" means right? You do understand who he is referring to when he says "We were not meant to beg for moral validation from some of the most despicable creatures to ever populate the planet. We were meant to overcome. To overcome all of it, because that is natural and normal for us."

I mean, these aren't even dogwhistles. He's screaming Nazi slogans to a crowd of Nazis and then encouraging them to "overcome" their subhuman enemies because it's the natural order of things (hint: when a Nazi describes the "natural" way of overcoming they don't mean scoring points against you in a debate). In what way is this "dancing around" racism? He's openly calling for a race war.

I know what it means, yes. I know that he is a despicable racist who incites violence and hate. "overcome" is different from explicitly calling for black genocide, which is why they use the more "acceptable"/deniable language. If he is just as explicit in his own words, why are people circulating someone else's that he edited?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

I'm also not clear on why it's better to be the editor of a white nationalist text vs. the author. If anything it seems worse.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

I know what it means, yes. I know that he is a despicable racist who incites violence and hate. "overcome" is different from explicitly calling for black genocide, which is why they use the more "acceptable"/deniable language. If he is just as explicit in his own words, why are people circulating someone else's that he edited?

Because the quoted text and the speech he gave are calling for the exact same thing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Eej posted:

Where are you going with this dude

I think it's pointlessly intellectually dishonest to present it that way, and I think it weakens the legitimate criticisms of him. The case against Spencer is strong enough to not need exaggeration.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

Is it possible to be more explicit than standing on a stage shouting "Hail Trump, hail victory, hail our leader" while people give you the Nazi salute?

You know what Heil Hitler, sieg heil, and heil fuhrer translate to in English, right?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Helsing posted:

I'm also not clear on why it's better to be the editor of a white nationalist text vs. the author. If anything it seems worse.

If it's worse, why aren't people labeling it as edited when sharing it? I've seen it all over the place and I don't think that was mentioned a single time.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
guys, it's taken like, tons snarkey replies and i can't take it any more

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

vyelkin posted:

You know what Heil Hitler, sieg heil, and heil fuhrer translate to in English, right?

Didn't I answer that in the post you quoted?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Didn't I answer that in the post you quoted?

You are dancing around what you are trying to say/defend and its not clear if you actually understand the significance of what youre implying.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Subjunctive posted:

I think it's pointlessly intellectually dishonest to present it that way, and I think it weakens the legitimate criticisms of him. The case against Spencer is strong enough to not need exaggeration.

Wow we mentioned that he was the editor of that passage not the author truly we must discuss how this minor inaccuracy is going to plague our criticisms of a literal Neo Nazi

Can we stop hand wringing about just how accurately racist the racist is? You're literally getting nowhere with this.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

I don't care if people punch him and I don't give a poo poo if people are slightly intellectually dishonest when addressing this nazi scum.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Furnaceface posted:

You are dancing around what you are trying to say/defend and its not clear if you actually understand the significance of what youre implying.

I'm saying "don't present that as though he wrote it, because it's misleading". I've been quite explicit about it. I'm not defending anything. I am not implying that Spencer is anything other than a dangerous racist. I've been explicit about that too.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

If it's worse, why aren't people labeling it as edited when sharing it? I've seen it all over the place and I don't think that was mentioned a single time.

Because it's a meme not a peer reviewed article being published by a scholarly press, and because it makes absolutely no difference since the point isn't "he wrote these exact words" but rather "he believes and actively helps spreads calls for race war".

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I'm going to run for NDP leadership on a platform of Keg subsidies, equal park loving rights and legal nazi face punching.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DariusLikewise posted:

I'm going to run for NDP leadership on a platform of Keg subsidies, equal park loving rights and legal nazi face punching.

Mandatory nazi face punching. The second tuesday of every month is mandatory punch a nazi in the face day.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

I'm saying "don't present that as though he wrote it, because it's misleading". I've been quite explicit about it. I'm not defending anything. I am not implying that Spencer is anything other than a dangerous racist. I've been explicit about that too.

Nuance is dead. Someone bought you a hell of an av for your trouble though.

DariusLikewise posted:

Well, you've got my vote.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm gonna go with keg loving and park punching, but only with carefully cited bibliography.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nuance is dead. Someone bought you a hell of an av for your trouble though.

I had a good run.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

I'm gonna go with keg loving and park punching, but only with carefully cited bibliography.

Working class Canadians can't afford to gently caress at the Keg you elitist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Working class Canadians can't afford to gently caress at the Keg you elitist.

Check your capitalization privilege.