Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
My only experience with Utawarerumono is the first game/anime which got so hilariously dumb by the end that that's all I'll ever be able to remember about it. Actually I'm not even sure it was funny dumb or just straight up regular dumb, but boy was it dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

PSN Europe has another round of Vita sales.
What is Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth? I don't know Digimon, and all gameplay descriptions I can find are inadequate to say the least.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's a JRPG and plays like a mashup of Pokémon style monster stuff with FFX's combat. It's very good if you like that sort of thing.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

SelenicMartian posted:

What is Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth? I don't know Digimon, and all gameplay descriptions I can find are inadequate to say the least.

After getting hosed up in VR you get a digimon friend and become a detective

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

All you need to know about Digimon is that they are the Champions.

Cyber Sleuth is kind of like Pokémon, except you get your fight monsters by scanning enemies over the course of multiple battles instead of capturing them, and you can evolve or devolve each of them as much as you like. It's also kind of like SMT, except instead of Hell there's the internet, which makes the horror elements a lot more visceral and effective. I thought it was a very good JRPG overall.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

So, it's WoFF, Soul Hackers and a touch Battle Network?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sorry, I don't know anything about those games.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

SelenicMartian posted:

It's essentially just Digimon Persona in the internet. Don't look much further than that.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

SelenicMartian posted:

It's a bit Soul Hackers esque, yeah. Much more modern and anime though. Probably one of the best Vita games.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Digimon, huh.

That's... impressive. At least they're not gods or electrified rodents.

Can I have an army of small bearded dudes?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
lol, digimon has both electric rodents and gods for the record, it just also has a bunch of way more unique designs

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

SelenicMartian posted:

Digimon, huh.

That's... impressive. At least they're not gods or electrified rodents.

Can I have an army of small bearded dudes?

I don't know about those designs, but you do get the poop, and the platinum poop

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

mandatory lesbian posted:

lol, digimon has both electric rodents and gods for the record, it just also has a bunch of way more unique designs

it also has dozens of recolours

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I recognized a few from SMT on the list
http://kotaku.com/all-240-digimon-in-digimon-story-cyber-sleuths-1735370618

And then there's this

skit herre
Mar 24, 2015

Don't do drugs, kids.
Lipstick Apathy
Man another pretty neat sale in Europe. Earth Defense Force, Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme, Digimon. My newfound interest for weird Japanese games is gonna lead to my bankruptcy.

e: also for 5€ I might actually check out a Sword Art Online game

skit herre fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 20, 2017

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SelenicMartian posted:

It's more like WOFF than any other game TBH, but it's more an actual turn based jrpg with no active time that WOFF has. It's more similar to FFX's combat structure including the turn bar.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also I finished WOFF last week but burned on it super hard and kinda got soured on it as a result.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

skit herre posted:

Man another pretty neat sale in Europe. Earth Defense Force, Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme, Digimon. My newfound interest for weird Japanese games is gonna lead to my bankruptcy.
And Handball! 16!

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Extella is pretty fun so far. I like that the second chapter literally has a do not pursue Lu Bu moment.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Extella is a good game and I recommend it to anyone who wants a musou clone with fast movement

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
The FPS is also super solid so far and the graphics are pretty decent from a Vita perspective.

Really happy it ended up that way and not a sloppy port/release.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

i watched a stream and there was a giant woman who made the fox girl sad

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

CrashCat posted:

i watched a stream and there was a giant woman who made the fox girl sad

Does the fox girl cry?
This is important.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yes

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/flash-sale/cid=STORE-MSF77008-FLASHSALE17LP

Some good Vita deals here. Child of Light and Bastion for $5. Also.BL2

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Buying now, thx.

skit herre
Mar 24, 2015

Don't do drugs, kids.
Lipstick Apathy
Wow, US prices are so much lower :mad:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I got Child of Light free via PS+ and have been meaning to play it. Is the $5 sale version with all the DLC worth it?

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

skit herre posted:

Wow, US prices are so much lower :mad:

Oh hi there fellow Canadian.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Atelier Shallie really taxes the Vita. There's general slowdown then the screen actually freezes and goes blank for a moment when using the collect all items on the map option.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

it also has dozens of recolours

the game does pretty good at keeping the recolors down, like theres a few but most of them are unique

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

the game does pretty good at keeping the recolors down, like theres a few but most of them are unique

Yeah but the franchise in general is really bad when it comes to recolours.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I got Child of Light free via PS+ and have been meaning to play it. Is the $5 sale version with all the DLC worth it?

I had more than my fill with the ps+ version, so I will venture to say no.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

What I figured

I see WRC 5 is on sale. I heard 4 was good but 5 was poo poo. Anyone?

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

SelenicMartian posted:

I enjoyed Cyber Sleuth. Knowing Digimon isn't really a barrier to enjoying it. Others have pointed out the general feel of the gameplay so I won't repeat that, but I will add that it does turn in to a pretty grind heavy game. In a typical Pokemon game you level up your dudes and they evolve into other dudes, but Cyber Sleuth has another leveling system on top of that for evolving monsters. It's been a while since I finished it, but from what I recall if you wanted to train up a Digimon to the strongest forms you had to repeatedly evolve them (or farm food items alternatively). So you quickly get in to a loop of leveling up your favourite monsters, evolving them, then turning them back into their starter forms and repeating the process a few times so you could get them to a higher evolution.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Psycho Knight posted:

I enjoyed Cyber Sleuth. Knowing Digimon isn't really a barrier to enjoying it. Others have pointed out the general feel of the gameplay so I won't repeat that, but I will add that it does turn in to a pretty grind heavy game. In a typical Pokemon game you level up your dudes and they evolve into other dudes, but Cyber Sleuth has another leveling system on top of that for evolving monsters. It's been a while since I finished it, but from what I recall if you wanted to train up a Digimon to the strongest forms you had to repeatedly evolve them (or farm food items alternatively). So you quickly get in to a loop of leveling up your favourite monsters, evolving them, then turning them back into their starter forms and repeating the process a few times so you could get them to a higher evolution.
Luckily you can powerlevel pretty easily in the game at some point, so it doesn't have to be painful to raise them up again

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So chapter 6 is when things start changing in Atelier Shallie. Up until then it's the same as on PS3.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dehry posted:

So chapter 6 is when things start changing in Atelier Shallie. Up until then it's the same as on PS3.

How are the changes? I've been utterly swamped with work so I haven't gotten to get to it yet.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I personally couldn't get very far into cyber sleuth. It was a minor wake-up call to me about how much I care about aesthetics in games because that game was mechanically pretty good but I could not get past the hideous environment design, sub-par translation and terrible soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Failboattootoot posted:

I personally couldn't get very far into cyber sleuth. It was a minor wake-up call to me about how much I care about aesthetics in games because that game was mechanically pretty good but I could not get past the hideous environment design, sub-par translation and terrible soundtrack.

same except i didn't like the mechanics either