Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

I love when these videos get posted on this forum of deranged drunken grognards because nobody here can resist a how it's made video

imagine how you would smell after working in a sardine factory the whole day.

God forbid that you would have any cats at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

etalian posted:

If you didn't before the job, you would after.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

etalian posted:

Agree with this part.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything" is good. No pretty pictures but tons of good Alton Brown :science: stuff

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Keith Atherton posted:

Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything" is good. No pretty pictures but tons of good Alton Brown :science: stuff

Ruhlman's "Ratios" is great as well. No pictures and it's not a recipe book per se but for anyone who is an ok cook it can really help get to the next level by understanding the why behind basic things.

gwarm01
Apr 27, 2010

My haiku has earned me a King Oscar tasting kit. More sardines for my doomsday stockpile. I hope they throw some mackerel in there.

dreadspork
Jun 25, 2005

Perseverance does not equal worthiness. Next time you want to get my attention, wear something fun. Low-riding jeans are hot.

gwarm01 posted:

My haiku has earned me a King Oscar tasting kit. More sardines for my doomsday stockpile. I hope they throw some mackerel in there.

I'm getting a sardine fork and an apron, pretty stoked!

bengy81
May 8, 2010

gwarm01 posted:

They notified me that I won for two of my haiku? So I have some combination of forks and t-shirts and aprons coming, was hoping for some fishes, but an apron will be very dadly come the summer BBQs.

RE: Cookbooks
I like cookbooks that actually teach you how to cook, so I believe the Joy of Cooking does that, but I haven't seen a recent edition so I can't say for sure if it's actually good.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Next time one you should write a haiku about how I should get some stuff too because I'm op of the fish thread

dreadspork
Jun 25, 2005

Perseverance does not equal worthiness. Next time you want to get my attention, wear something fun. Low-riding jeans are hot.
Sheep-Goats made a thread
Worthy of the great sea king
Give him a fish fork

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

dreadspork posted:

Sheep-Goats made a thread
Worthy of the great sea king
Give him a fish fork

See

You guys can do it

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I will give half my fork to FaradayCage

Turtle Blogger
Mar 16, 2006

My Angel

I won an apron. I'm really envious of the 'dine fork winners, that's what I really wanted. But also I'm glad to have won something. I'm thinking that I'll write some holiday KO 'dine haikus throughout the year in preparation for next year. Gotta win that fork.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Do you just have to check the KO Facebook page regularly or is there a way to get notified about their promotions/contests?

Aside from this thread of course

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Keith Atherton posted:

Do you just have to check the KO Facebook page regularly or is there a way to get notified about their promotions/contests?

Aside from this thread of course

They commented on my post to tell me I could pick from a shirt, apron, or water bottle.

If it was a metal water bottle, I would do that, but it seems like apron is the choice of fish eating dads?

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

I chose a KO t-shirt for my haiku prize. Just yesterday I ate a can from the Royal Taster Kit I won last month.

My friends think sardines are "weird" but I think they're actually just jealous.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
Last year I got I won a sardine fork and vintage sardines as a grand prize winner in the haiku contest. This time I got a first prize win and I'm going to get the apron!!

Turtle Blogger
Mar 16, 2006

My Angel

Male Tears posted:

Last year I got I won a sardine fork and vintage sardines as a grand prize winner in the haiku contest. This time I got a first prize win and I'm going to get the apron!!

What was your winning entry? I'm trying to study so that I too can have a 'dine fork

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

Turtle Blogger posted:

What was your winning entry? I'm trying to study so that I too can have a 'dine fork

I'll PM it to you so people don't stalk my Facebook.

dreadspork
Jun 25, 2005

Male Tears posted:

I'll PM it to you so people don't stalk my Facebook.

Yeah that's a good idea, goons are crazy. I'm super excited about my apron and sardine fork, especially the fork. My forks are just too big and tear the sardines up.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
HOT HAIKU WRITING TIP:

Both of my winning entries had a reference to either KO or a specific product, i.e. Kippers, Harissa, or something like that.

Make it sound like something a marketing intern would be really proud to contribute to a campaign, but that you know would just get dumped the minute he leaves the room.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

What do you all think of The Joy of Cooking? If someone was only going to own one cookbook, especially a college student or someone moving into their first apartment, who has little to no cooking experience, I think it's about as simple, versatile, and GOOD as you can get.

Cooking in the '50s and '60s was pretty bad. From what I've seen of the joy of cooking it's pretty much a novelty now. Maybe some of the baking stuff still makes sense.

Seconding How to Cook Everything as a decent starting point if you must have a book.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
won a taster kit. really wanted an apron & fork but i'll live.

my greatest accomplishment in life

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

theres a will theres moe posted:

Cooking in the '50s and '60s was pretty bad. From what I've seen of the joy of cooking it's pretty much a novelty now. Maybe some of the baking stuff still makes sense.

Seconding How to Cook Everything as a decent starting point if you must have a book.

There are newer editions of the joy and they are good.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Both are good books.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I got a notification that my haiku won a prize, too.

Also, to call back to the gadget discussion earlier, one kitchen item I consider indispensable is a good electric kettle. Think my current one is 1.5L and it gets used almost daily.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I got a notification that my haiku won a prize, too.

Also, to call back to the gadget discussion earlier, one kitchen item I consider indispensable is a good electric kettle. Think my current one is 1.5L and it gets used almost daily.

I hear people say this online a lot and I once had one and never used it.

I guess it's Commonwealth people making tea all the time but IDK

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sheep-Goats posted:

I hear people say this online a lot and I once had one and never used it.

I guess it's Commonwealth people making tea all the time but IDK

I'm an American. And I think the only using it for tea is a common misconception. Anything you're cooking that requires boiling water is seriously accelerated by using an electric kettle. Having a quick and efficient means of boiling water is so handy that I consider it a necessity.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Mine is like 95% used for making coffee, but if I'm making pasta, I'll boil a kettle full, also its pretty handy for making baby bottles quickly.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm an American. And I think the only using it for tea is a common misconception. Anything you're cooking that requires boiling water is seriously accelerated by using an electric kettle. Having a quick and efficient means of boiling water is so handy that I consider it a necessity.

So you boil water in the thing and then dump it into a pot all the time?

I can imagine it's faster I guess.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sheep-Goats posted:

So you boil water in the thing and then dump it into a pot all the time?

I can imagine it's faster I guess.

It's way faster - especially with things like making a large pot of pasta. I can get two kettles boiled and be cooking pasta in a fraction of the time as compared to just letting the water boil on the stove.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's also more efficient, boiling a pot of water over an open flame wastes a lot of energy.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The Better Homes and Gardens cookbook has recipes for a lot of basic/classic things, done simply and concisely without 5 paragraphs of mommy-blogger bullshit about how "my family loves cookies but who has time to blah blah" on each recipe.

It's also in 3-ring binder format which means it lies open really easily.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

For less than ~24 oz of water my microwave can boil water faster than the kettle, so tea is actually the one thing I don't use it for much. It's still the most efficient and convenient way for larger quantities though.

I've heard that our US electric kettles are relatively poo poo because of the whole 120 VAC thing.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

My Man Shran posted:

The How it's Made dine video makes me loving hungry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaKgs4BKajs

I love me some how its made but what the gently caress is that awful calliope music?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

pr0k posted:

I love me some how its made but what the gently caress is that awful calliope music?

Where dismemberment and white people go the calliope follows.

It follows.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

etalian posted:

Steinbeck's Cannery Row is a good read, but every time I look at copy of it my brain reflexively wonders what an entire town of sardine canneries would smell like.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Mushika posted:

Steinbeck's Cannery Row is a good read, but every time I look at copy of it my brain reflexively wonders what an entire town of sardine canneries would smell like.

The 1970s Cannery Row with Nick Nolte is my IRL dad's favorite movie.

The sets are all throwbacks with gorgeous painted backdrops. It's pretty cool.

Woodstock
Sep 28, 2005
Bought the 6Pack of Season @ Costco last week. Big & meaty dines. ~$10?

I'm eating a tin right now. I added some hot sauce. Feeling pretty good right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Sheep-Goats posted:

The 1970s Cannery Row with Nick Nolte is my IRL dad's favorite movie.

The sets are all throwbacks with gorgeous painted backdrops. It's pretty cool.

Do you have an internet dad?