Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

bump_fn posted:

wtf is a monopsony

a monopoly is a market with a single seller
a monopsony is a market with a single buyer

if an employer has total control over a particular labor market, they are a monopsony, because they buy labor rather than sell it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the "market," such as it is, is itself a creature of the negotiations between the union and the single buyer, the MLB

if the MLB wished to end all competition for players once and for all, they could lock out the players and begin again without the union.

You are wrong. The MLB does not employ a single baseball player.

It's okay to admit you're wrong when you're called on it. Just admit that you don't know what you're talking about and move on.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i dont believe thats a real word

its sounds like the freemium currency you need to buy in a playstation game

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Citizen Tayne posted:

You are wrong. The MLB does not employ a single baseball player.

It's okay to admit you're wrong when you're called on it. Just admit that you don't know what you're talking about and move on.

the MLB does not sign any paychecks, it's true. nevertheless, all professional baseball players in the united states are employed by MLB franchises, and MLB performs all labor negotiations on the behalf of their franchisees.

they literally have an anti-trust exemption written into law for this poo poo dude.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
so are unions good or bad now??

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

bump_fn posted:

i dont believe thats a real word

its sounds like the freemium currency you need to buy in a playstation game

it's not really a situation that comes up very often unless you study either labor economics or colonialism

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

big scary monsters posted:

unions are good

monopsonies arent a real word

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

big scary monsters posted:

unions are mostly good but the pittsburg pee rat doesn't seem to understand how and why unions are formed

Apr 7, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the MLB does not sign any paychecks, it's true. nevertheless, all professional baseball players in the united states are employed by MLB franchises, and MLB performs all labor negotiations on the behalf of their franchisees.

they literally have an anti-trust exemption written into law for this poo poo dude.

No, the loving MLB doesn't negotiate contracts. They negotiate the CBA. The individual teams negotiate contracts.

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/los-angeles-dodgers/clayton-kershaw-5273/

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Apr 7, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

unions are mostly good but the pittsburg pee rat doesn't seem to understand how and why unions are formed

You're really mad about being wrong.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
wait, how is union formed?

...i'm asking for a friend

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
re: america's sport

are there any contractual differences between the divisions?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

infernal machines posted:

re: america's sport

are there any contractual differences between the divisions?

NL plays like this
AL plays like this

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

You watched it, you can't unwatch it.
Hey guys, does MLB or the individual teams have IT unions?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
they have a monogamy

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
today i learned yospos is afraid of words you have to look up in a dictionary

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Citizen Tayne posted:

No, the loving MLB doesn't negotiate contracts. They negotiate the CBA. The individual teams negotiate contracts.

the cba determines the terms of all contracts, just like the franchise agreement determines in extraordinary detail how the franchisees will behave

it's also worth noting the cba is, itself, a contract

a master contract, negotiated by a union and the mlb, determines the possible terms in all individual contracts

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

today i learned yospos is afraid of words you have to look up in a dictionary

i saw it in dictionaries and I'm still not convinced it's a word

Apr 7, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the cba determines the terms of all contracts, just like the franchise agreement determines in extraordinary detail how the franchisees will behave

it's also worth noting the cba is, itself, a contract

a master contract, negotiated by a union and the mlb, determines the possible terms in all individual contracts

Holy poo poo, look at those goalposts fly.

You are wrong.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

bump_fn posted:

i saw it in dictionaries and I'm still not convinced it's a word

you have a good ear for backformations

as with a lot of greek-sounding academic terms it is a modern invention. someone took the (actual greek word) monopoly and created monopsony after the same pattern, in order to describe an analogous situation for a buyer instead of a seller

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Citizen Tayne posted:

You are wrong.

i don't think you understand how a corporation works. the "competition" between the pittsburgh pirates and the new york mets would be little different from "competition" between a pontiac plant and a chevrolet plant.

the important difference is that the mlb is a monopsony, so the artificial "competition" between franchises, enforced by a union contract, creates real benefits for the employees. it's a sham, but it's a valuable sham.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

we must do way instain sportsmans

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i don't think you understand how a corporation works. the "competition" between the pittsburgh pirates and the new york mets would be little different from "competition" between a pontiac plant and a chevrolet plant.

the important difference is that the mlb is a monopsony, so the artificial "competition" between franchises, enforced by a union contract, creates real benefits for the employees. it's a sham, but it's a valuable sham.

lol you think tori is arguing in good faith

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

benefit of the doubt

Apr 7, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

You do not seem to understand that the Pirates and the Mets are completely different companies that are not associated in any way beyond membership in the MLB.

The MLB does not employ a single baseball player.

Apr 7, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

He's completely wrong and he can't admit it.

Apr 7, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

I'm quoting this again because it's incredible how wrong it is.

Pontiac and Chevrolet are trademarks owned by one corporation.

The Mets and the Pirates are entirely separate companies.

You are, and continue to be, wrong.

Apr 7, 2003

"all mlb teams are one corporation adurr durrrrr" - Guy who lives in a world where pitchers are getting $250M+ contracts due to competition that he claims doesn't exist.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Citizen Tayne posted:

He's completely wrong and he can't admit it.

nbsd's 'tism is quite strong

Apr 7, 2003

mishaq posted:

nbsd's 'tism is quite strong

It's the most internet thing possible in that he made a simple mistake when talking about something he doesn't know anything about ("MLB is a monopsony"), and instead of saying "oh, okay, thanks for the correction" he argues for two hours about it because he's terrified of ever being seen to be wrong about anything.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
when is the op coming back to tell us more about their it union?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
shitposters union local 219

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
lol @ tori getting owned by nbsd of all people

Apr 7, 2003

A Pinball Wizard posted:

lol @ tori getting owned by nbsd of all people

Being dumb and wrong isn't owning anyone.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah I remember my childhood of going down to the gm plant and cheering for my favorite line shift

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
we're straying away from the major point here that computer touchers aren't real workers and do not deserve to be in a union

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

do my fingers not ache after a long day of coding?

is my carpal tunnel not real?

are my obesity and diabetes from a sedentary work environment fueled by free sodas provided by my employer not job hazards?

stand up and unite fellow laborers, only together can we improve our conditions!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
my union rep told me that standing desks cause varicose veins so that's why we have motorized adjustable stand/sit desks now

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Citizen Tayne posted:

You are wrong.

there aren't any goal posts in baseball :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

:gas:

• Locked thread