Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

For me, UT3 sucked because on harder difficulties it upped the AI of the enemy team and lowered the AI of your team. As a result, the 'single player' was literally impossible to complete due to your idiot teammates feeding kills to the crack shot enemy team during the team deathmatch levels.

they were just preparing you for years of online team shooters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Yea I've been goofing around in UT04 and I'm kinda flip flopping on whether I like it or not now. I absolutely loved the thing as a kid. I had the special edition that came with the extra disc with map editing tools and I played that thing for hours and hours. Just constantly those operation maps where you do a bunch of unique objectives in an order. But now that I'm playing it now I'm just kinda eh, mainly about the weapons. None of them stand out besides the rocket launcher and flak gone, they either don't really do that great, especially against AI with snipers, or they just don't feel that great to use, like the link gun. It also doesn't help that I'm just not a sniping kinda guy. I like shotguns, grenade launchers, fast firing rifles like the chaingun. I don't really do snipers and the railgun.

I still have some fun playing Onslaught and just farming AI in a vehicle, but the AI gets kinda dull after awhile since they just instantly prioritize you out of the rest of my team of AI.

Also, I've been playing a ton of Doom mods. My favorites right now are Dead.Air, and Winter's Fury. They're great campaigns, maps and have their own custom set of weapons. And are pretty difficult to boot. Dead.Air is legit terrifying, too.

I'm wondering how I get started in playing Half Life mods, and what mods out there are worth my time. I'm just looking for new campaigns and experiences to have. Not really down for cinematic experiences, I just want great gameplay above all else.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

Ularg posted:

I'm wondering how I get started in playing Half Life mods, and what mods out there are worth my time. I'm just looking for new campaigns and experiences to have. Not really down for cinematic experiences, I just want great gameplay above all else.

Poke646 is great for more classic Half-Life style action, and I'll take any opportunity to recommend the Halfquake series, brutal puzzle games a little more along the lines of Portal and Antichamber.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

RiffRaff1138 posted:

I'll take any opportunity to recommend the Halfquake series, brutal puzzle games a little more along the lines of Portal and Antichamber.
I installed these, but how do I run them? Everything indicates having a subfolder in my Steam Half-Life installation folder would create a listing in Steam's game library for me once I reboot Steam, but I did all that and don't see anything of the sort.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Halfquake Sunrise was meant to be auto-added, but Amen you have to add a non-steam game to your list. i forget the instructions off the top of my head though.

Be forwarned. HalfQuake is NOT nice to you in the slightest, and all three do whatever they can to mess with you and kill you at a moment's notice. Halfquake Sunrise is probably the most fair, and Amen being absolutely brutal at times. Amen has a part where you literally need to wait for ten minutes called 'patience' and you may as well go do something else because it's quite a bit on the boring side despite the little things to watch and do in the train station.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 21, 2017

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

Shadow Hog posted:

I installed these, but how do I run them? Everything indicates having a subfolder in my Steam Half-Life installation folder would create a listing in Steam's game library for me once I reboot Steam, but I did all that and don't see anything of the sort.

That should be all. I just tried deleting and reinstalling them myself, and everything seems fine for me, all three are listed.

Are you sure they're installed in the right place? Each Halfquake has its own subfolder, (hquake, hquake2, hquake3) and they should all be in steamapps/common/Half-Life

If that's all right, open the mods' liblist.gam files in Notepad or something, and check whether the "gamedir" lines match the folder names. I didn't need to do this, but it's the only other thing I can think of.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
USS Darkstar and the They Hunger series are classics.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Ularg posted:

ETC2 and Edge of Darkness are great single-player mods that stick close to the vanilla gameplay. I remember Half-Life: Visitors being a lot of fun as well, but it's been a while since I've actually played it.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

RiffRaff1138 posted:

Poke646 is great for more classic Half-Life style action, and I'll take any opportunity to recommend the Halfquake series, brutal puzzle games a little more along the lines of Portal and Antichamber.

Poke646 is one of the best mods ever imo

Darkstar is a good HL1 mod too. I got that on a PCGamer demo disc back in the day. Got one that had all 3 They Hunger on it as well.

Afraid of Monsters is a good horror mod for HL1 imo. I cant play it unless I have my bro around because it still scares me.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

verbal enema posted:

Darkstar is a good HL1 mod too. I got that on a PCGamer demo disc back in the day. Got one that had all 3 They Hunger on it as well.

Same here. I've played through USS Darkstar at least as many times as I've played through vanilla HL. Maybe more.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Maybe I should go back and actually finish They Hunger. As much as I like source mods, they can be a little cheap when it comes to some enemies.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Maybe I should go back and actually finish They Hunger. As much as I like source mods, they can be a little cheap when it comes to some enemies.

Play it in Sven Coop with 12 other people

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Sven Co-op so good so much fun

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

RiffRaff1138 posted:

That should be all. I just tried deleting and reinstalling them myself, and everything seems fine for me, all three are listed.

Are you sure they're installed in the right place? Each Halfquake has its own subfolder, (hquake, hquake2, hquake3) and they should all be in steamapps/common/Half-Life

If that's all right, open the mods' liblist.gam files in Notepad or something, and check whether the "gamedir" lines match the folder names. I didn't need to do this, but it's the only other thing I can think of.
Turns out it just doesn't show up under "Recent". Switch to "Games", they're right there. Derp.

Beat the first of the three, at least. Don't really get where the "Quake" part of the name's coming from - it's really nothing like Quake - but it's pretty fun all the same. (That voice-acting is pretty bad, though.)

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I really wish my mom never tossed our old ancient stack of PCGamers.

Anyone remember the issue that had tons and tons of HL1 mod highlights?

I remember a mod "Todendenganst"? or something and I never got to play it. Anyone get a bell ring with that?

Also omg the first Team Fortress previews goddamn that was some poo poo. Mods used to get loving multi page articles on them.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

verbal enema posted:

I remember a mod "Todendenganst"? or something and I never got to play it. Anyone get a bell ring with that?

http://www.moddb.com/mods/todesangst

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

I really need to get my comp back up and running

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Was re-reading an old Kindle book I had and noticed it covered a decent amount of early FPS games so far:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Freeman was 27?!?!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

verbal enema posted:

Freeman was 27?!?!

And I think I missed the part where he makes scientific critiques and observations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That book thinks the opening quip of Duke 3D is his opening line from Episode 3! What a sham!

Why don't I remember a massive metal embossed Jesus in Quake? I've heard about the huge Jesus in Brazil, maybe I just forgot about the one in Quake. Could be in there though. (googling it apparently its in there)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 23, 2017

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

verbal enema posted:

Freeman was 27?!?!

According to the Half-Life manual, Freeman was offered a position at Black Mesa straight after getting his PhD at the University of Innsbruck, so it makes sense that he would still be relatively young. It also explains why he seemed to be the only person in the research team who didn't know about the whole "portal to another world" project.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Another dumb nitpick: Quake didn't start the "brown" trend. It was brown, but it was immediately followed by an explosion of color as hardware acceleration took over and brought with it colored lighting and 16/32-bit textures. The late 2000s brown trend we all know and love came from the rise of postprocessing effects in general and Gears of War specifically.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Heavy Metal posted:

Why don't I remember a massive metal embossed Jesus in Quake? I've heard about the huge Jesus in Brazil, maybe I just forgot about the one in Quake. Could be in there though. (googling it apparently its in there)

The texture shows up a few times, but the one I remember most is in Ziggurat Vertigo (E1M8).

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

haveblue posted:

Another dumb nitpick: Quake didn't start the "brown" trend. It was brown, but it was immediately followed by an explosion of color as hardware acceleration took over and brought with it colored lighting and 16/32-bit textures. The late 2000s brown trend we all know and love came from the rise of postprocessing effects in general and Gears of War specifically.

Did you never actually play quake or quake 2

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Quake 2 was orange

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I kind of love (hate) how the Doom 2 part opens with gushing about the Berserk Pack (as if that wasn't present in the first game too), and the last paragraph opens with a sentence about the seeds of id's destruction that frankly belongs at the end of the preceding paragraph.

site posted:

Did you never actually play quake or quake 2
I mean, they were brown (well, Quake 2 was more orange), but they still feel more colorful than the "real is brown" games do, if that makes any sense? Quake's fault is that the textures themselves were really brown a lot of the time, but the palette at least allowed for walls with some fairly saturated greens, blues, reds and purples were applicable, whereas later games applied shaders of sorts to make the entire screen the same desaturated hue.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I feel like there's something to nerd rage about in every paragraph of that book.

I didn't know that about Quake 2's name though. For some reason I thought it was self published by id again but nope it was always Activision apparently. Does anyone know what some rejected names were?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Yodzilla posted:

I feel like there's something to nerd rage about in every paragraph of that book.

I didn't know that about Quake 2's name though. For some reason I thought it was self published by id again but nope it was always Activision apparently. Does anyone know what some rejected names were?

The only one I've heard is WOR.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Yodzilla posted:

For some reason I thought it was self published by id again but nope it was always Activision apparently.
Id worked with Activision from Quake 2 through to Wolfenstein 2009, after which they decided they weren't getting enough attention due to CoD and briefly buddied up with EA before Zenimax swooped in.

Yodzilla posted:

Does anyone know what some rejected names were?
The ones that have been mentioned in public were "Wor", "Strogg", "Lock and Load" and just "Load". 💩

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Those are all terrible names so yeah good job choosing Quake 2.

Ball Cupper
Sep 10, 2011

~beautiful in my own way~
I'm trying to get Hexen 2 working on my computer (for some reason) - I've got the Steam version, and there's a patch being talked about on there that looks okay. Lots of people saying it's got a virus in it though, and my antivirus keeps picking up on it - anyone used this patch before? Is it safe?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
You could download the Hexen 2 Anniversary Edition (check on Hexenworld for it) which includes the full game packaged with a source port and the soundtrack. That's worked fine for me. You might want to edit QeffectsGL64.ini in the install directory and set Bloom to 0 though as it looks awful switched on.

Ball Cupper
Sep 10, 2011

~beautiful in my own way~
For some reason it wasn't working for me? I think I bodged something up. I've sorted it out anyway - I've just decided to get the sourceport by itself and it's running swimmingly. Gotta say, I much prefer Hexen 2 over the first one.

Thanks for the help!

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Speaking of the Quake series, what ever happened with Enemy Territory: Quake Wars?

I remember being really excited when it was announced, but having to skip on it due to being stuck with dial up internet at the time.

By the time I got highspeed I had completely forgotten it even existed, which seems to put me in the same group as the rest of the human race.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
It was fine. Not amazing, not terrible, just kind of fine.

I think people didn't like that it was a full-price multiplayer only game in an era where there weren't a whole lot of those not called Battlefield. I personally just didn't have as much fun with it as I did with Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. It was also the first MEGATEXTURE game.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Vakal posted:

Speaking of the Quake series, what ever happened with Enemy Territory: Quake Wars?

I remember being really excited when it was announced, but having to skip on it due to being stuck with dial up internet at the time.

By the time I got highspeed I had completely forgotten it even existed, which seems to put me in the same group as the rest of the human race.

I actually had found my disc for qw a couple months ago and gave it another try and while mechanically and map wise the game still seems to be alright, i thought it was kinda hard to play with bots cuz when on your team since they defer objectives to you, so you can get rolled over fast if unlucky with respawns

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I liked Quake Wars a lot, but I was a big fan of the Quake 2/4 setting to begin with. I put in a bunch of hours but eventually got bored with the small pool of missions. I thought those missions that did come with the game were pretty well done though.

I liked the "campaign" setup where unlocks only lasted the length of the full set of 3 missions so you didn't have to deal with getting rolled by people who had more unlocks than you (well, as long as you didn't join later in the set at least.) The differentiation between GDF and Strogg was kind of interesting too, with the GDF generally having faster and lower-duration abilities while the Strogg had slower abilities with more tricks.

I also liked the aesthetic; the GDF were pixel-cammo near-future soldiers before that aesthetic really caught on and the Strogg as usual were like more horrifying and low-tech borg, although more human-like than the other games because they had to be players comparable to the GDF. I'm a big fan of alien invasion stuff so I liked fighting creepy aliens in ruined near-future locales and I thought there was a neat story that you could piece together from the missions.

Not that it was without problems. I think it suffered from being solid but in the end unremarkable to most people who aren't weirdos like me who both like alien invasion stuff and the Quake 2 setting. The balance wasn't perfect either, and lack of post - release additional content was unfortunate.

I was kind of hoping it would do well enough for an expansion or sequel taking place in the Quake 2/4 era on Stroggos but it ended up being a commercial wet fart.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Megatextures are stupid, for an online shooter. They basically make it impossible for fans to make new maps. You'd think id of all people would understand why that's a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I picked up a copy of Quake Wars and tried to get it running on my main desktop. I didn't encounter any show stopper issues, aside from what seemed like a bug with the animations running at a really low framerate. There's full bot support but I didn't play enough to get a sense of how much of a fight they put up.