Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

FamDav posted:

Is US policy towards Israel heavily influenced by our own feelings on the treatment of Native Americans?

...As in, we're for it? :v:

Edit: dammit :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

So if i understand correctly, hakimashou is saying that if the Palestinians achieved meaningful goals with their violence it would be fine. He's basically saying they should start blowing up more important things, take a few cues from the IRA. That's a pretty bold opinion to have.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

hakimashou posted:

People always say that Gaza got bombed to rubble in Protective Edge, did Israel get rocketed to rubble?

I think if we're honest we can agree there was a winner and a loser in that fight.

So. Genocide is morally right, when it's performed by the winners, against the losers?

Is there ever any other sort of genocide?

If the situation was reversed and the Palestinians were the ones in a position of strength, with Israel reduced to a tiny enclave of rubble, would you support the Palestinians' right to keep besieging and bombing the Israeli?

hakimashou posted:

The script changes but the narrative arc remains exactly the same, and I'm glad Israel pays it absolutely no mind. After what was done to the Jews, I don't blame them or hold it against them even a little bit for their own survival to be their absolute overriding priority to which all other considerations are subordinated.

So practicing ethnic cleansing is justified because it's a survival strategy.

hakimashou posted:

The Palestinians should make their own survival their overriding priority. If they did, they'd never launch another terrorist attack against Israel.

So, survival strategy for Israel is to practice ethnic cleansing, collective punishment, mass expropriation, and carpet bombings; survival strategy for Palestinians is to meekly lay their neck on the chopping block. Got it.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jan 22, 2017

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/823191676491624453

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/donald-trump-us-embassy-israel-tel-aviv-jerusalem-reports-israeli-media-a7540476.html

quote:

The White House will on Monday announce that the US embassy in Israel is to move from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, according to an unconfirmed report by an Israeli news outlet.

Channel 2 cited an anonymous source as saying a member of the Trump administration would announce the highly controversial move on the President’s first full working day in office.

The news channel said it had received no confirmation of the claim and there has been no public statement on the move since Friday's inauguration of the new US President. 

Relocating the US embassy to Jerusalem would represent a major break with US policy.

Donald Trump has said repeatedly that he intends to relocate the US embassy to Jerusalem, despite warnings the move would violate international law and destroy the peace process.  

Earlier in January, US officials and Israeli Foreign Ministry sources said the incoming US ambassador to Israel could be based in Jerusalem, while the official embassy building remains in Tel Aviv.

Relocating the embassy to Jerusalem would be seen as a provocative move by Mr Trump's critics as the city is claimed by both the Israelis and Palestinians as their capital.

Israel annexed east Jerusalem in the 1967 Six Day War. The move has not been recognised by the international community. 

Mr Trump has also appointed a new US ambassador to Israel, David Friedman, who is considered a supporter of settlements.

Meanwhile, Israel has approved building permits for hundreds of homes in three East Jerusalem settlements.

Israel expects Mr Trump to end the US government’s criticism of building projects on disputed land.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is expected to speak with Mr Trump by telephone on Sunday.

"We strongly condemn the Israeli decision to approve the construction," Nabil Abu Rdainah, spokesman for Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, told Reuters. 

:yikes:

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
Why would the US want to do this? besides start the end times?

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Honestly confused how anyone can justify the genocide and subjugation of Palestinians "because of the Holocaust"

Wouldn't that same logic then apply to justifying Palestinian genocide of Isrealis? How many of your people need to be murdered before you get Carte Blanche to commit your own genocidal atrocities?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Milosh posted:

Given the sort of people whispering into Trump's ear, the contents of the inaugural speech, and the evangelical madness that has become largely fundamental to large parts of the Republican party, I am honestly wondering if this is not the aim pursued by elements of this administration.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Milosh posted:

Well, for one, Trump's proposed ambassador to Israel is a hardliner's hardliner and he is very much supportive of that. That and it seems like he has other advisors telling him to do this since he has brought it up before. He's also very close with Bibi.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Milosh posted:

Probably mostly for the purpose of proving the US's commitment to Israel as an ally, since doesn't the Israeli government say Jerusalem is the capitol of Israel?

I don't think it really does that any more than the aid and favorable trade agreements that are already in place do, but it's a symbolic gesture.

I don't believe it's really meant to be a "gently caress YOU PALESTINIANS!" move, although it can be read as that.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It's super hilarious though, there's also a bill for the the United States to withdraw from the UN, which means Israel becomes even more of an international pariah because they will soon follow behind

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Milosh posted:

Because Trump's son-in-law and very close adviser, who will also bring peace to the Middle East according to Trump, is an orthodox Jew who, from the few sources available on his stance on the conflict, is pro settlements?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Milosh posted:

The right and the US pro-Israel lobby has wanted it for quite some time, as Israel has consistently insisted that Jerusalem is their capital. US Israel policy has long been constrained by the contradiction between "Israel is our ally and we support them fully" and "we'd really like actual peace in the Middle East". Besides, this was a long time coming. The Jerusalem Embassy Act of 1995 required the US government to relocate the embassy to Jerusalem by 1999. The only reason it hasn't happened yet is because there were doubts about whether the law was actually constitutional, and therefore it included a provision allowing the president to waive the requirement for six months if they deem it necessary - a provision that has been exercised every six months for the last twelve years because the last three presidents have all considered the move to be very dangerous to US foreign policy. It's not like Trump cares about starting another intifada or ruining our standing in the world, though.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
I think it's conceptually wrong to look for reasons behind Trump's action. The man is clueless and policy is driven by whatever advisor has managed to grease him over the years.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Given how fiercely the PA has protested the embassy move, promising all that the region will explode in nuclear chaos (and certainly a lot of their recent claims in the past few years about imminent conflict have proven to be overblown, and just for domestic consumption to let off steam), what are the chances this either blows over entirely, or registers at the level of another stabbing intifada?

I mean poo poo, just say we're putting the embassy in West Jerusalem, this changes nothing with respect to the final status of East Jerusalem which is subject to negotiations. If you want to try to compromise, build the PA their own embassy in East Jerusalem.

Miftan posted:

So if i understand correctly, hakimashou is saying that if the Palestinians achieved meaningful goals with their violence it would be fine. He's basically saying they should start blowing up more important things, take a few cues from the IRA. That's a pretty bold opinion to have.

Well are we talking IRA or real IRA here, and what era. If Hamas was calling hours in advance to avoid casualties, that's very different from randomly blowing up pizza parlors.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Yeah the worst thing about trump isn't that he's a scummy corrupt piece of poo poo, it's that other scummy pieces of poo poo who'd never have a chance holding the degree of power he has are quite chummy with him and since he has literally no idea what he's doing he's open to suggestions.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Main Paineframe posted:

If the Palestinians stopped fighting back, Israel wouldn't be "fighting a peaceful people", they'd just be taking everything they want with no meaningful resistance, and no one would care since it would be "peaceful". In any case, the big - and rather obvious - flaw in the "terrorism doesn't work" argument is that peaceful negotiations haven't worked either, and in fact the current Prime Minister of Israel has been known to brag about sabotaging and undermining the outcome of peaceful negotiations.

Besides, I wouldn't be so quick to declare that violence hasn't accomplished anything for the Palestinians. Israeli policies have often been constrained by a desire to avoid potentially provoking violent mass action from the Palestinians, as well as the need to act in a way that generally keeps the security situation manageable. It's restrained and limited Israeli actions in a lot of ways.

If the status quo is fine for the Palestinians then keep at it I guess...

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Miftan posted:

It would at least not just be a complete waste of human life then.

There's a difference between a struggle you can win, where the ends might somehow justify the means, and mindless violence.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

hakimashou posted:

If the status quo is fine for the Palestinians then keep at it I guess...

You have yet to suggest an alternative beyond "Palestinians stop using violent action and then everything magically gets better"

hakimashou posted:

It would at least not just be a complete waste of human life then.

There's a difference between a struggle you can win, where the ends might somehow justify the means, and mindless violence.

Please stop being a war crime apologist. There is no set of circumstances where war crimes are justifiable.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I don't know much about the embassy issue apart from the obvious bit that it'd be a symbolic gesture in favour of Israel done over the protest of the Palestinians, but there's been plenty of gestures like that before and I'm not sure what the obvious tit-for-tat response is that leads to some sort of chain reaction. If anything, if the Palestinians are provoked to respond aggressively to the news that would probably be Israel's perfect opportunity to test out how much more leeway the Trump administration will give them compared to Obama.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Kim Jong Il posted:

If you want to try to compromise, build the PA their own embassy in East Jerusalem.

Funny! As if the United States (""the honest broker") would ever dignify Palestine ("an equal partner in negotiations") with their own embassy. And as if the Israelis (another "equal partner") would ever allow it in the first place. Palestinian relations are handled from the consulate in Jerusalem ("the eternal capital of Israel").

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
So is anything going to happen to Netanyahu? I'm not super informed but I recall reading about multiple cases of corruption where he's involved (submarines, cigar gifts and that favorable news thing) but I haven't heard of any consequences. What's going on?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
To this point no charges have been filed as of yet, the chief of police (a personal appointment of one Mr. Benjamin Netanyahu) stated yesterday that the police is in the final plateau and that its recommendations will be forwarded to the state attorney in the next few weeks.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He's going to be charged soon. Which I think requires him to resign by Israeli law?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Nope.

He is only obligated to resign after he's convicted and after his appeals have been addressed by the high court.

Olmert resigned, Bibi won't.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
Maybe we've at last arrived at that breaking point so many have been talking about where Israel falls out of favour in the liberal circles of the world.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
If we're banking on Trump making just enough guffaws to unite the world against Israel but not so many guffaws that the whole world descends into complete chaos then well, good luck to us all I guess.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

If we're banking on Trump making just enough guffaws to unite the world against Israel but not so many guffaws that the whole world descends into complete chaos then well, good luck to us all I guess.

If the US pulls out of the UN then israel loses that veto

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
edit: whoops, wrong thread, sorry

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Nevvy Z posted:

Now that would be funny.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Nevvy Z posted:

I'm not 100% convinced Boris wouldn't carry the flame.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Obama administration sent $221 million to the PA in it's last hours.

https://apnews.com/b8446cbf5b504b1abaf49eb0d646367b/US-sent-$221-million-to-Palestinians-in-Obama's-last-hours

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

That page doesn't exist.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Ultramega posted:

That page doesn't exist.

It does if you believe!

quote:

Congress had initially approved the Palestinian funding in budget years 2015 and 2016, but at least two GOP lawmakers — Ed Royce of California, the chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, and Kay Granger of Texas, who sits on the House Appropriations Committee — had placed holds on it over moves the Palestinian Authority had taken to seek membership in international organizations. Congressional holds are generally respected by the executive branch but are not legally binding after funds have been allocated.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Why are the palestinians so upset about moving the embassy anyway?

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

hakimashou posted:

I think it's not the embassy per se, but the recent attitude of "there's a new sheriff in town and from now on we'll do whatever we want and you can go gently caress yourself".

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

hakimashou posted:

Because it legitimises the ethnic cleansing and other war crimes Israel commits against them including, you know, the attempted annexation of East Jerusalem.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Freezer posted:

I think it's not the embassy per se, but the recent attitude of "there's a new sheriff in town and from now on we'll do whatever we want and you can go gently caress yourself".

But it's been a controversial thing for literally decades as far as I can tell. It looks like presidents have been claiming they're going to move the US embassy since like the 70s?

From what I gathered it looks like our congress passed a law requiring it to be moved, but presidents have refused because congress doesnt have that kind of say in foreign policy.

I suppose its probably about moving closer to Jerusalem being the capital of Israel.

Anyway I hope people dont fight over it its a dumb reason to fight.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

hakimashou posted:

Which is why presidents kept delaying the move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

hakimashou posted:

*Ethnically cleanses the Palestinian*

"u mad??"