Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Opulent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyanEyed
Mar 3, 2015
Posting for discord, Name is Cyan.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I'm also in the discord, same name as here, might pop on one of these days.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
I've been completely engrossed in this game. They clearly need to optimize it at some point.. But the fun is off the charts.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

forge posted:

I've been completely engrossed in this game. They clearly need to optimize it at some point.. But the fun is off the charts.

thats good to hear, friend :peanut:

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

forge posted:

Agreed game is alot of fun just needs a couple gameplay tweaks as well

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
glad you guys are liking it

I played it a bunch in a past playtest or two and it doesn't seem to be too different from what I heard, so I didn't bother much this time

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
Any chance someone could toss a key my way? I'm in discord under the name Spriggly but dont have PM's cause I'm a cheapskate.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Uncle Spriggly posted:

Any chance someone could toss a key my way? I'm in discord under the name Spriggly but dont have PM's cause I'm a cheapskate.

I just sent you a steam key on Discord.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Hra Mormo posted:

It's our cunning new design, the external engine is just for distraction while the hull hides the 2 inaccessible main engines. We already had some guy try to grapple onto the ship and wreck the cores/engine, they seemed perplexed when no matter how much they salvaged the two cores on the bottom the ship would not sink.

Sadly because I'm a dumbass I then made the 3 wings out of SOLID GOLD so the drat thing would only reach like 10-15 knots. We eventually did some upgrades and slapped another 2 jets to the sides. You also can't see the rest of the guns but it had 3 in that iteration and we added a 4th.

ya i was there and it was hilarious

he latched on because I stole a bunch of metal from his crate box, i broke the box with the salvage tool and grabbed about 3k worth of metal out of them and he was shooting me so I was shouting at Moikii to bring the ship down so I could latch onto it. Lag made me over shoot but I had still latched to it, jumped in, dumped the metal then we realized the guy who was shooting had enough grapple range to latch onto the ship, i simply glided to it so i didnt think it was grappable from land so we kicked the engine into overdrive and he hung on for a solid couple of minutes trying to destroy the fake engines and cores then got whipped off eventually, we were all hanging onto for dear life on the ship trying to kick him off by stamping on his parasitic face with our boots offa the ship. It was pretty hilarious. He and his friends were accusing us of hacking because we blew up their ship still in construction and they were upset.

It was a fun afternoon :sun:

forge
Feb 26, 2006
LG remember those 2 [XBD] guys we found on the island cluster and pulled their ship off the side..

So me, Derrio, and Moikki are on Arrakis yesterday. We are building a ship and this dude named Dan shows up.

Exact interaction..
A random wing falls out the sky and crashes about 100 yards away, no idea why.

2 minutes later

*Dan runs up to us from some distance
Dan: So you are Forge..
Forge: Hi
Dan: Some people are looking for you
Forge: why
Dan: They said you attacked them and their looking to kill you
Dan: They blew up my ship because they thought I was you
Dan: What did you do to them
Forge: No idea
Forge: Who were they?
Dan: XBD something
Dan: What does your ship look like because they thought I was you for some reason
Forge: It's a viking ship
Dan: Hmm mine looks like a speed boat
:Worlds Adrift:

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm in the discord, same name.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good

forge posted:

LG remember those 2 [XBD] guys we found on the island cluster and pulled their ship off the side..

So me, Derrio, and Moikki are on Arrakis yesterday. We are building a ship and this dude named Dan shows up.

Exact interaction..

2 minutes later

Dan: What does your ship look like because they thought I was you for some reason

Dan's cool. He gave derrio, tolly, and me stone metal or whatever when they were trying to extract me from arrakis.

I love this game. Yeah, it's janky and hosed up and the netcode is garbage, but I haven't had this much fun doing absolutely nothing and failing at it in a long time.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Dimo ArKacho posted:

I love this game. Yeah, it's janky and hosed up and the netcode is garbage, but I haven't had this much fun doing absolutely nothing and failing at it in a long time.

This about sums up my trip report, too. Grappling around just feels SO GOOD.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the grappling stuff is a lot of fun for sure

CyanEyed
Mar 3, 2015
Any chance I could get a key and get in on this flying shipgame? I'm in the Discord as Cyan.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good

TheRagamuffin posted:

This about sums up my trip report, too. Grappling around just feels SO GOOD.

Seriously, they're onto something really good with this. They just need to polish and expand.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
It's not really polish this needs, but tuning. A lot of what's wrong right now is the crunchy infrastructure stuff, like making the graphics and physics engine work right, fixing memory leaks and loading times and database issues.

The game's never going to feel fully polished because it leans so heavily on user content and interaction. What it needs is a solid foundation so all the silly weirdness doesn't get frustrating. If they can nail that though the game will be great.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Hey, posting for Discord. Discord name is Cheapshot.

When they fix bugs and smooth out the game this will be the only thing I ever play again. I'm in love.

Cheap Shot fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jan 24, 2017

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
https://www.worldsadrift.com/forums/topic/a-peek-at-upcoming-changes-in-alpha-5-3-and-beyond/

:jerry:

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Cool, devs aware of the problems and actively fixing them

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Sounds like we'll actually get to use cannons and bombs next patch

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

forge posted:

Exact interaction..

2 minutes later

ahahaha! I do oh no way

thats awesome

ya thats like a good sign for pvp if there's bitter grudges already, i really have been enjoying this game. Just need to optimize. I've always wanted a game where you could actually grapple actively for once instead of all the hyper realism.

Good to know. Cautiously optimistic :beerpal:

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
I'm in the Discord now as Polly-hime, I'm real interested in this game. A key would be swell but I've waited for MMOs before.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Posting for Discord. Same name as here.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Sorry for double post, but tonight we found a bit of a "workaround" for the frozen-in-spawn problem.

http://www.hitbox.tv/video/1254113

e: In case of confusion: I forgot to record my own voice on the stream, so you'll just be hearing the others in Discord at the time.

TheRagamuffin fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jan 25, 2017

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

TheRagamuffin posted:

Sorry for double post, but tonight we found a bit of a "workaround" for the frozen-in-spawn problem.

http://www.hitbox.tv/video/1254113

e: In case of confusion, I forgot to record my own voice on the stream, so you'll just be hearing the others in Discord at the time.

Rag dolling is my solution to everything, but I didn't expect it to actually work. I dub this method, "Ragadolling".

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Bonus footage of the shenanigans that led to me being stuck in the spawn chamber: http://www.hitbox.tv/video/1254118

forge
Feb 26, 2006
After reading that update, WOW. That is probably the exact list of what currently plagues us when we play the game. If they can manage to fix those then the game will be pretty solid. It's also interesting that they are just removing the salvaging of parts currently but it will be put back in after it gets tuned. So at least they are sticking to the sandbox guns and not giving in to everyone complaining about griefing. On the flip side at least we'll get some use out of cannons.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Maybe add some kind of territory claim system to encourage air battles

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

alpha~

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Keegers posted:

Maybe add some kind of territory claim system to encourage air battles

thats what im hoping in later updates. I figure they're just fleshing out the bread and butter atm then add features that allow us to transport to armadas and fly in formation somehow

bonuses to territorial claims, better mats etc.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
they've definitely been adding basic functionality still

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Actually I wouldn't be surprised if they don't add territory claims. They seem to be encouraging nomadism, and having home islands like that might contradict that.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Pavlov posted:

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if they don't add territory claims. They seem to be encouraging nomadism, and having home islands like that might contradict that.

My only problem is if it's supposed to be procedurally generated, that means that players will be pretty spread out and air battles will be very rare. If they throw some incentive like in the middle of the world you can claim islands, it lets pvpers flock to the middle while nomads explore the outside.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Keegers posted:

My only problem is if it's supposed to be procedurally generated, that means that players will be pretty spread out and air battles will be very rare. If they throw some incentive like in the middle of the world you can claim islands, it lets pvpers flock to the middle while nomads explore the outside.

So like a not in space EVE.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

EdEddnEddy posted:

So like a not in space EVE.

Well doesn't have to be like eve at all just some kind of way to easily find air battles. Because so far most people just run away I've noticed

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I doubt they'll add any sort of autopilot either, formations or otherwise

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

I'd settle for them just making it so crossing a loading boundary doesn't launch me off my ship at high speed, so I can safely leave the helm with the throttle up...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forge
Feb 26, 2006
I auto piloted through a wind wall last night. Autopilot is basically already in the game. Formations are dumb and they should never be. Just drive your boat. Really the only people who need formations are pubbies so they can be screaming at other pubbies about what to do and how to fly.

I'm telling you now after seeing the poo poo posted on the public forums.. Each pubbie ship will require the "captain" position. Someone said the other day they were posting about starting their own in game government.