Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

no bones about it posted:

Suck it up I was DCPO of my division when I was AD for almost 3 years and I probably can still perform most of the maintenance on a WTD in my sleep.

I know this is a thing for most Army and MC guys and gun tear downs after they get out, but I guarantee I could still troubleshoot NSSMS, CIWS, and (not that it needs it) RAM in my sleep.

That poo poo is burned into my brain bad. Should have been a CASREP guy, but instead got a BS in Civil Engineering instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Sir Lucius posted:

the navy feels the same under the reign of commander and chief god emperor trump.

Wait until the pictures change on the wall.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Grad program I applied to isn't sending out results... I feel like I got denied.

Now that it's post deployment time there's a sudden urge to stay in.

I keep hearing in my mind "three years is nothing" to stay in for DH ride.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Howard Phillips posted:

Grad program I applied to isn't sending out results... I feel like I got denied.

Now that it's post deployment time there's a sudden urge to stay in.

I keep hearing in my mind "three years is nothing" to stay in for DH ride.

You applied to just one?

Do not sign that bonus, at the most go to shore tour because its a day job and 'free' money and then apply to more than one grad program.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Does anyone serve on the Zumwalt?
Looking forward to wrecking some poor head tomorrow. Gah I ate too much pizza.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Boon posted:

You applied to just one?

Do not sign that bonus, at the most go to shore tour because its a day job and 'free' money and then apply to more than one grad program.

Applied to two. Was limited due to being on deployment. Got rejected from one and waiting for the other.

Already dropped papers, so if I decide to go to shore duty I will have to do the dance and beg to remove resignation papers. Little embarrassing.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Got to crank! This reserve unit is fun! Much better than sitting in scif!

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

It might be one of those selective memory things, but cranking was actually not that bad. There's the indignity of "I signed up to be an elite naval warfighter with the most advanced equipment" and newwwp, you're gonna wash dishes in a paper hat, sucker. Then you get to crawl through the sphere access tunnel hoping that the shipyard bubba actually checked it gas free, wrench on stuff in ballast tanks covered in barnacles, and basically spend life covered in 2190-TEP, and suddenly going back to cranking sounds like a pretty sweet gig. Plus cranks always get to snag the best cookies before they go out to the line.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
There were cookies on your ship?

Edit: We had a CS2 that could make some bomb cinnamon rolls, unfortunately, WEPS decided that since he was on mids all deployment to he should have fresh cinnamon rolls every morning. So after about a month of awesome rolls, they started tasting like onions. After a week of onion flavored rolls they went away forever.
Similar thing happened with anything decent that came out of the galley though.

bengy81 fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 22, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Jusy weekly ice cream nights

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Carrier: Cookie day is any day if you're good with the mafia

I saw some surprisingly jolly dude handing out chicken wheels wearing second class crows for forever. Not sure if his chief hated him or if he just got lost in the shuffle of all those boat chucks.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Yep, we had cookies. Muffins for breakfast pretty much daily, but field day lunch was always sliders, fries, and chocolate chip cookies.

I also cranked with a first class. He was an ELT and after nuke school stayed on to do training or something. Showed up to the boat and had to qualify on the sanitizer and TDU like everyone else.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I guess cookies did show up for meals in port. Most of the time underway I only ate breakfast and MIDRATS. Breakfast could be ok if you got in line quick enough, but lol, gently caress you if you have to eat MIDRATS.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

LingcodKilla posted:

Had four reservists show up to observe an ET2 Full Time Support perform maintenance on an UPS this week. Gave them the full training experience by freaking out because I thought they were going to cut power for the check but then it turns out they weren't and then watched them sit cross-legged as ET2 made them read the MRC aloud and she pressed a button that showed how much battery was left.

Wish they stuck around to learn how to sweep rain, but there's always next month.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Midrats were fine if there were decent leftovers from dinner. If not, stand in a line all the way back to the yeomans' shack to claim your reward of burned canned ravioli.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

hogmartin posted:

Midrats were fine if there were decent leftovers from dinner. If not, stand in a line all the way back to the yeomans' shack to claim your reward of stale bread and a spoonful of peanut butter, no jelly.

Ftfy

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

piL posted:

Had four reservists show up to observe an ET2 Full Time Support perform maintenance on an UPS this week. Gave them the full training experience by freaking out because I thought they were going to cut power for the check but then it turns out they weren't and then watched them sit cross-legged as ET2 made them read the MRC aloud and she pressed a button that showed how much battery was left.

Wish they stuck around to learn how to sweep rain, but there's always next month.

I volunteered to mop and fix up a bunch of hosed up small lines that needed to be back-spliced but the petty officer in charge of us just looked at me funny and was like "why don't you just sit in the galley and drink coffee".

Boo.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

hogmartin posted:

Midrats were fine if there were decent leftovers from dinner. If not, stand in a line all the way back to the yeomans' shack to claim your reward of burned canned ravioli.

Were we the only boat to call them death pillows? (They 75% resulted in awful gas)

Also hamsters. Delicious hamsters with the most disgusting cheese

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

Were we the only boat to call them death pillows? (They 75% resulted in awful gas)

Nope, probably universal. We called them death pillows, or vitamin R. I never want to see canned ravioli again. We had a rice pot and soup pot though, so at least there was an alternative.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Maybe rats was the one meal where the nobles get different food than the peasants, but it was always pretty good on a carrier. Usually dinner leftovers + breakfast stuff. Make a sandwich out of french toast, burger patty, and a cheese omelette and you have the whole rest of the night to regret it.

And hamsters are awesome, I'm pretty sure that cheese is deposited directly onto your arterial lining.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Are hamsters chicken cordon bleu or something? I don't remember hearing that one.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Maybe rats was the one meal where the nobles get different food than the peasants, but it was always pretty good on a carrier. Usually dinner leftovers + breakfast stuff. Make a sandwich out of french toast, burger patty, and a cheese omelette and you have the whole rest of the night to regret it.

And hamsters are awesome, I'm pretty sure that cheese is deposited directly onto your arterial lining.

We had only an untouched full pan of canned beats for 3 nights in a row until i scooped the entire pan onto my tray and threw it out in protest.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Hearing your guys horror stories puts things into perspective because I felt we were pretty drat spoiled on deployment

Didn't stop everyone from constantly bitching about the food. It was pretty good all things considered

Although it was mostly out of service because I'm sure they didn't want to tend to it there was soft serve too

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

hogmartin posted:

Are hamsters chicken cordon bleu or something? I don't remember hearing that one.

Yes!

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Hearing your guys horror stories puts things into perspective because I felt we were pretty drat spoiled on deployment

Hey, buddy, I'm just here to bitch about canned ravioli.

When we had a galley watch captain who knew what he was doing and cared enough to do it well, we got some pretty good stuff. Just very rarely for midrats.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 22, 2017

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
One time we went for a whole month without flour.

Flour you say? You mean that stuff you need for almost all baking? Why yes!

Luckily we had absurd quantities of two life saving ingredients: canned cornbread mix and honey. We made very clear that our four cooks ability to make acceptable cornbread was the kinda important, and surprisingly they rose to the challenge. We had good cornbread, and warm cornbread and honey is delicious, this was good for the first two weeks. Then someone had the bright idea to mix it up, they tried making jalapeno cornbread and other nefarious concoctions. Those didn't work well.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

One time we went for a whole month without flour.

Flour you say? You mean that stuff you need for almost all baking? Why yes!

Luckily we had absurd quantities of two life saving ingredients: canned cornbread mix and honey. We made very clear that our four cooks ability to make acceptable cornbread was the kinda important, and surprisingly they rose to the challenge. We had good cornbread, and warm cornbread and honey is delicious, this was good for the first two weeks. Then someone had the bright idea to mix it up, they tried making jalapeno cornbread and other nefarious concoctions. Those didn't work well.

Cornbread is good and makes me happy.

Jalapeno cornbread is poo poo and I hate it.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
On one deployment they accidentally ordered way too many hamsters and nothing else. We had hamsters for lunch and dinner for an entire month.

I am not exaggerating.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

PneumonicBook posted:

On one deployment they accidentally ordered way too many hamsters and nothing else. We had hamsters for lunch and dinner for an entire month.

I am not exaggerating.

I remember that!

It was alright for about three days

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Try green beans and waffles for dinner because we missed 3x unreps in a row due to poo poo weather and scheduling.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
On my last ship the captain loved watermelon, so Supply ordered some to get picked up during our BSF in the Azores. What they thought was 80 watermelons turned out to be 80 "units" of watermelon which was not discovered until the flatbed truck full of them pulled up to the pier.

We had watermelon breakfast, lunch, and dinner for months. Eventually they started cutting them up to garnish every table onboard for meals too.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is there anyone one could talk to about depression/suicide prevention on a ship without any repercussions like rehab poo poo or getting kicked out? You know, asking for a friend.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
In port, a chaplain (even for people who aren't religious). On a ship underway, someone else here probably has some suggestions.

Rehab or separation (if those are possibilities) beats the alternative though.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Anita Dickinme posted:

Is there anyone one could talk to about depression/suicide prevention on a ship without any repercussions like rehab poo poo or getting kicked out? You know, asking for a friend.

Big Decks have actual real Psychologists and therapists on board. If you're on one. Honestly though, talk to anyone. A Navy career isn't worth being horribly depressed.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Of course there's so many variables to consider--the repercussions stigma for mental health issues in the Military is largely overblown. I've seen a ton of guys stay in diagnosed with mental issues, taking psych meds, having gone to a 30 day impatient treatment rehab for alcohol.

Maybe once upon a time that sort of thing was a "career ender," or w/e. It really shouldn't disuade you from talking to someone.

As said, the larger ships will have a psychologist and behavioral health Corpsman while underway. In port you gave a slew of options.

For the sake of continuity of care all your health issues should be taken care of within your command/MTF/etc. So on a ship an IDC or whatever there is. Commands like to bully junior enlisted and convince them they can't get medically treated outside of their immediate command even though they're on a large loving Naval base with a huge hospital with ER. That said, mental health is kind of the thing you can completely jump and negate all that.

Woh, that's a lot of words. But yeah not sure if you're underway or what. If you have the slightest inclination that you want to "just talk to someone," or something is up, you really should do just that and who knows what deeper issues there might be.

Oh yeah sorry and of course the chaplain if you're spiritual. Try to find an RP

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
We got some kind of psych boss dude but I wasn't sure if they had a confidentiality thing. I didn't think of the chaplain but he's super creepy. I'll figure it out.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Anita Dickinme posted:

I wasn't sure if they had a confidentiality thing.

They do.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Maybe once upon a time that sort of thing was a "career ender," or w/e. It really shouldn't disuade you from talking to someone.

A little clarification here but while it may not be a career ender it is possible it can be the end of your having certain ratings should you stay in. Obviously if you are going 'sad panda' you shouldn't be concerned with that, but it can be a consequence after you will have to live with so whenever I see someone say 'the stigma is gone' I need to point out that isn't true if your rating requires any kind of special physical.

If your command can guilt someone into staying silent and just knuckling under vs. them maybe becoming a pumpkin for possibly 2 years (1 year treatment, +6 months off, plus a year application process for waiver/reinstatement) that you can't free up the billet because they might legally come back, would they? Well maybe you had a better command than any of the ones I'd been in.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah you're right, it was a bit exaggerated it's just people get spooked by anything mental health related

I mean I've known dudes actively under treatment that were still allowed to carry their rifle and do their regular duties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Fleet and Family also has counselors available that are confidential to help, plus if your stress is related to other, non-Navy, life issues they're in the same office as the folks who help you get that stuff straightened out too.

Also, from the perspective of a sitting CO, let me tell you that I want you, and every one who needs it, to come forward and get the help that you need. You trying to "power through it" is not just dangerous for you, but it can be dangerous to everyone onboard depending on what your responsibilities are. Provided that your prognosis is good from your medical evaluations you getting help shouldn't impact your career in the slightest. Obviously if you have some pernicious and deep seated mental health issues it may require an early roll ashore or something just like any other medical condition which may have some career implications but it's still much, much preferable to the alternative of you hurting yourself.