Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

the yeti posted:

I have lots of steel silverware my parents gave me when I left home that I'd like to use more of, but I'm realizing that the reason this stuff was ever in storage is that it's pretty grimy. I'm not sure if these stains are hard water or what but they don't come off in the dish washer or in a vinegar soak. Is there something else I could try besides an abrasive?

Scotchbrite pad is minorly abrasive but it will get that off. You could also try CLR, though I've seen some goons recoil at the thought of using a (comparatively) strong chemical cleaner in their home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I bought an electric deep fryer because I hate dealing with oil and used oil containers and funnels and poo poo. I bought a tfal for a hundred bucks that has an oil container and a filter built in. Worth it.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

I bought a cookbook with a couple hundred recipes for pressure cookers. I thought I had a pressure cooker. I do not have a pressure cooker. So now I want to get one.

My stove's cooktop is induction, and from what I read that creates some challenges when pressure cooking, and I don't want challenges, so I'm leaning very heavily toward an electric cooker.

I read the OP in the equipment thread, and it suggests that I shouldn't get an electric. So I'm torn.

But two questions:

1. The recipes are set for 6 qt. cookers, and it is pretty emphatic about being very careful going smaller, but doesn't say anything about going larger. What effect would cooking a recipe designed for 6 quarts have if cooked in an 8 quart cooker?

2. Can anyone recommend a good 6- or 8- quart pressure cooker (depending on the answer to question 1 above)?

TIA

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

LongSack posted:

I bought a cookbook with a couple hundred recipes for pressure cookers. I thought I had a pressure cooker. I do not have a pressure cooker. So now I want to get one.

My stove's cooktop is induction, and from what I read that creates some challenges when pressure cooking, and I don't want challenges, so I'm leaning very heavily toward an electric cooker.

I read the OP in the equipment thread, and it suggests that I shouldn't get an electric. So I'm torn.

But two questions:

1. The recipes are set for 6 qt. cookers, and it is pretty emphatic about being very careful going smaller, but doesn't say anything about going larger. What effect would cooking a recipe designed for 6 quarts have if cooked in an 8 quart cooker?

2. Can anyone recommend a good 6- or 8- quart pressure cooker (depending on the answer to question 1 above)?

TIA

The go to electric pressure cooker is the instant pot. Electric pressure cookers don't reach the pressure levels of stovetop ones and are therefore slower but are more convenient to use and can double as a rice cooker or slow cooker. You should be able to use the same recipes with an 8qt model as a 6qt, you don't want to over fill a pressure cooker so that is probably what the warning was about.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Thanks!

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
Is there a thread for kitchen remodels and which hilariously overelaborate range top to spend thousands on?

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

BraveUlysses posted:

Barkeeper's friend

This poo poo is the bomb. I think it may technically be an abrasive (I consider it to be "Liquid Gumption"). It shouldn't gently caress up your spoons or w/e.

While we're on topic - if you ever need to clean chrome or SS but don't have a cutting compound like Gumption, toothpaste and SHITLOADS of elbow grease will work in a pinch.

Base Emitter posted:

Is there a thread for kitchen remodels and which hilariously overelaborate range top to spend thousands on?

I am also interested in this.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Anyone have any experience with Air Fryers? My wife wants one because a friend got one and loves it. I think its another "kitchen gadget" that will not be used in 2 months but the wife wants it so...

Anyways I would prefer to get a good one but also not spend a ton of money on it. Anyone have any recommendations for inexpensive ones that are still good?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Base Emitter posted:

DumbparameciuM posted:

I am also interested in this.

Same. 2004 goon me would not have been but 2017 approaching middle age goon me is.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I brought some good linguica back from California, can anyone recommend a side to this sausage that would go well? I'm thinking some kind of bean salad or something to work with the vinegary flavor.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Lol I like it on cheesy grits. Or with collard greens. Idk why it makes me want southern food.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Hed posted:

I brought some good linguica back from California, can anyone recommend a side to this sausage that would go well? I'm thinking some kind of bean salad or something to work with the vinegary flavor.

Eggs in a breakfast burrito

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Caldo Verde.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Ranter posted:

Same. 2004 goon me would not have been but 2017 approaching middle age goon me is.

Fourthing this. In the past year I've already had to replace my refrigerator and stove (they were 14 years old, so not too mad about it plus it gave me the opportunity to replace my hated side-by-side with a French door over/under).

Now I'm looking at replacing the countertops (with engineered quartz) and sink.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
okay guys, I"m a big dummy. Still learning to cook/meal prep etc. I tried to make a chicken brown rice and turkey sausage sort of thing. A lot of the recipes I google had a lot of extra poo poo than what I currently had so I just decided to wing it a bit. Most of the recipies involved putting some milk in with the rice, and I could have swore it said to dump it in there at the beginning. It's been about 3 hours, and I'm not sure if the milk is technically curdled, but theres some really small white blobs floating around, although some of it is just pieces of the chicken. It smells fine and tastes fine to me, the rice still needs a bit longer to soften up. When it's done I'll drain what I can of the gross looking liquid, but it definitely should be safe to eat, right? Was also planning on freezing a bit of it. I still don't really know about the meal prep side of things but from what I understand you can freeze about anything you make in the crock pot. I still need to do more research, I was just trying to get the next 11 days of work meals out of the way with what I had tonight.

e: I'm broke until payday and don't want to throw 2.5 lbs of chicken breast out unless it's for sure ruined

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Well, it probably* won't kill you since you cooked it. 3 hours is a long time to cook rice (it's still hard somehow?) and FWIW I've never put milk in with it while cooking, but it should be edible if a bit weird. If it's truly awful pull out the chicken and whatever else you want to salvage and get rid of the curdled milk/liquid.

e: how high was the heat while cooking?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
It's in a slow cooker on low, sorry forgot to mention that

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I want to see this recipe you used.

The white blobs are likely bits of the chicken juice that have denatured and turned into solids. Not super appetizing, but not going to kill you.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
that's the thing, I didn't really use one because it called for a lot of poo poo I didn't have. I just got an idea of the cooking times, etc Unless you mean one I saw that told you to put the milk and rice in first(er, I mean at the beginning, it all went in at the same time). Could have easily been mistaken but I'll go through my history in a minute. Either way, the chicken and sausge looks and tastes good. I may just salvage it and dump the rest. I'll take a photo for you guys to laugh at as well. I really suck, but a lot of it was laziness as well. I probably could have found out a better way to do it with what I had.

http://imgur.com/lsMlWL2 My phone and kitchen lighting are terrible. I didn't use a whole lot of the milk to begin with so that may be why it's not that bad. I guess I'm just wondering if I should let the rice soften up and finish, or just pull the chicken and sausage out to eat on their own.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 23, 2017

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Well at a minimum you have an excellent attitude! I hosed up a *lot* of perfectly good food when I was first (and still am) learning, so don't get discouraged. I'm wondering now if your recipe called for coconut milk, since I have heard of cooking rice with that? One tip for the future would be to try smaller batches if you're both counting on and trying out a new recipe, so you can refine and improve the next batch. Chicken freezes pretty well.

e: I'd eat it.

Chard fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 23, 2017

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Yeah, that's true. Like I said I knew it might not go right. I work a fuckload of hours and go back to work 10s for the next 11 days so I was just trying to whip some poo poo up really fast so I wouldn't need to eat out so much. My pork shoulder turned out pretty good at least, and I still have beef stew stuff which I've done successfully in the past(although basic as hell, need to spice it up)

While I'm here talking about food prep, how do you store your freezer stuff? My pork shoulder made about 3 big(going for high protein) servings after I ate a bit, so I put each serving in it's own small ziploc with the air squeezed out, then those 3 in another big ziploc, then put it in a plastic walmart bag.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 23, 2017

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Looks better than I was picturing it. If the rice is still hard I'd pull the meat and just cook it longer. Brown rice is kind of stubborn. Helps if you soak it first like dry beans. But since you're this far I'd just let it cook. You've got plenty of liquid.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Alrighty. The chicken and sausage don't seem to be overdone at all, so I'll let the whole thing go another hour and check on it. I don't know if I have a good way to separate it all Thanks!

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Cooking rice in coconut milk is a legit and very tasty way to prepare it. Tins of coconut milk are usually 400ml so you would use one of those to about 350g of rice. You bring the coconut milk up to the boil, tip in the rice (you can also add some chopped chili and grated ginger if you want) and about 200ml of water, cover and cook on low for as long as the instructions on the rice say it needs. It's one of those where you want all the liquid to be absorbed so you may need less water depending on what rice you use.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

okay guys, I"m a big dummy. Still learning to cook/meal prep etc. I tried to make a chicken brown rice and turkey sausage sort of thing. A lot of the recipes I google had a lot of extra poo poo than what I currently had so I just decided to wing it a bit. Most of the recipies involved putting some milk in with the rice, and I could have swore it said to dump it in there at the beginning. It's been about 3 hours, and I'm not sure if the milk is technically curdled, but theres some really small white blobs floating around, although some of it is just pieces of the chicken. It smells fine and tastes fine to me, the rice still needs a bit longer to soften up. When it's done I'll drain what I can of the gross looking liquid, but it definitely should be safe to eat, right? Was also planning on freezing a bit of it. I still don't really know about the meal prep side of things but from what I understand you can freeze about anything you make in the crock pot. I still need to do more research, I was just trying to get the next 11 days of work meals out of the way with what I had tonight.

e: I'm broke until payday and don't want to throw 2.5 lbs of chicken breast out unless it's for sure ruined

Coconut Rice is fuckin' delicious. Nothing about this is ruined. That gross looking liquid is totally fine to consume as well. If the rice is still hard just let it keep cooking. I'd suggest you cook rice separately, since all the other ingredients add a LOT more liquid and rice to turn out well needs a somewhat specific amount (with wiggle room).

Don't throw anything away, just keep letting it cook in the slow cooker for another few hours. With all the extra chicken liquid you may end up with soggy rice, but them's the breaks.

You could also crack the lid and let some moisture evaporate right now.

For future reference a good rule of thumb is to add 1:1 ratio between liquid and rice if you're cooking it with other stuff in the slow cooker. Normal ratio of rice to water usually bounces between 1:1.25-1.5.

Unfortunately, the best way to freeze stuff is with this type of glassware, but it is cheaper in the short term to just do the ziploc bag method. It's just so bad for the environment to throw away all of that plastic every day.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 23, 2017

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I used regular milk though. The rice is still fairly hard and it's probably been going on low 4 hours. Should it keep going, or should I bump it to high? There's no way to get the other stuff out without uncooked rice sticking to it. Good news is the chicken and sausage don't seem to be anywhere near overcooked yet

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Honestly I'd take the proteins out since they seem to be good already, and you can let the rice go until it turns into porridge if need be.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

*Joke about how if it's still hard after 4 hours call a doctor*

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Yeah but if I pull any chicken or sausage out it has rice stuck to it. I could wash off whatever is stuck but I'm not sure if that is a good idea or not. If it's not done soon I might have to.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Scrape it off? Most of the rice will remain in your cooker, and it's better to have a few hard nugs that clang(?) to your chicken than all overcooked protein and uniform rice.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I used regular milk though. The rice is still fairly hard and it's probably been going on low 4 hours. Should it keep going, or should I bump it to high? There's no way to get the other stuff out without uncooked rice sticking to it. Good news is the chicken and sausage don't seem to be anywhere near overcooked yet

If you can't pull out the chicken then (you should if it's done, though - don't worry about the tiny bit of rice on it you can't brush off):
Put it on high for an hour.
Keep the lid on.
Mix in some sour cream if necessary to help offset the slightly dry(er) chicken. It probably won't be that bad.

In the future, unless someone else says otherwise, cook your stuff without the rice. Cook the rice in another pot - only takes a20-30 minutes to an hour (depending on the rice). Stir them together. If you want to cook it all together you're going to have to eyeball the liquid amounts to keep it from getting the consistency of porridge and that can be tough unless you've done it often.

You can freeze rice, or refrigerate it for many days at a time.

Most places say you can cook rice in a slow cooker in about two and a half hours, so I'm not sure why yours hasn't.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 23, 2017

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

What kind of rice are you using Drunk Driver Dad? I'm honestly intrigued as to why yours is still uncooked after 4 hours. Maybe the heat in a slow cooker is too low? I've never used one so I don't really know what temps they get to.
White rice usually takes 15 minutes, brown 25-30 and wild rice up to an hour at a boil in a pot.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
Maybe there just plain wasn't enough liquid so the rice absorbed all it could and then stopped? 3 hours is a bit abnormal and I too am curious.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Yeah that was exactly it. I added about 3/4 cup of water and put it on high for the past hour and it's basically done now and it's long grain brown rice. I guess I got paranoid because it tastes pretty good. A lot like chicken and dumplings but with rice instead of dumplings. I almost wonder if I should just do it the same way next time, at least with the milk. Should probably get the rice a head start on the stove though.

e: also if anyone is curious another goofy thing I did was pour the liquid from a can of chicken noodle soup in there at the start because I didn't have chicken broth.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jan 23, 2017

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If I'm seasoning some white rice, about how much powdered garlic should I add per cup of rice?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

If I'm seasoning some white rice, about how much powdered garlic should I add per cup of rice?

Start out with 1 teaspoon per uncooked cup and go from there?

It's really going to be up to you, tastewise. I think it's generally agreed upon that 1/4 teaspoon is about equal to 1 medium sized clove. I love garlic, so I'd always throw more in, but just add the amount, stir and taste, and then add some more and repeat the process.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

LongSack posted:

But two questions:

TIA

I have a stainless steel 8 quart Presto pressure cooker and it has become literally my favorite cooking vessel. It's stainless steel so it'll work on your induction range (cheaper aluminum will not), it's 8 quarts so it has plenty of capacity, and it's faster than the electric ones that don't come up to as high of a pressure. Not insanely faster, but still, faster. Going larger than a 6 quart size means it may take slightly longer to come up to full pressure, but 15 PSI is 15 PSI and the cook time should be the same. In fact, with the additional capacity, you can make larger portions of whatever recipe you're working from.

Basically, I love my pressure cooker and want to marry it and think everyone should too.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Yeah that was exactly it. I added about 3/4 cup of water and put it on high for the past hour and it's basically done now and it's long grain brown rice. I guess I got paranoid because it tastes pretty good. A lot like chicken and dumplings but with rice instead of dumplings. I almost wonder if I should just do it the same way next time, at least with the milk. Should probably get the rice a head start on the stove though.

e: also if anyone is curious another goofy thing I did was pour the liquid from a can of chicken noodle soup in there at the start because I didn't have chicken broth.

The soup thing is hilarious, and I honestly have no idea if that's a decent substitute. Get yourself a jar of Better than Buillon, though, and you'll always have broth available.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I would subscribe to your YouTube cooking show.

You mentioned in a previous post wanting to pump up your beef stew. I made some last night and half of the liquid was Guinness and it was delicious and I highly recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

The Midniter posted:

Basically, I love my pressure cooker and want to marry it and think everyone should too.

Qtifyd