Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ladron posted:

more like upset that he now has to take the stairs

If think this is most likely actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

The Great Autismo! posted:

Macau and Hong Kong are super cool and very beautiful and you should visit there if you're in Asia. Highly recommend both.

Tell me about Macau Autismo. I have heard only tiny bits about it but people talk about like they do Vegas (a city I think is actually decent): Boring after a weekend, bizzaro land.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Beijing is 3rd tier?? I mean, it ain't HK but dang

I always wanted to visit the 3 Islands (Hong Kong, Taiwan and Macau) tbh, but yanno, other side of planet, hard to get someone to come with, et cetera

wanna meet some of ya fo sho

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I always wanted to visit the 3 Islands (Hong Kong, Taiwan and Macau) tbh, but yanno, other side of planet, hard to get someone to come with, et cetera

Deffo not 1st tier, that's a small group

2nd is a larger list I think but can't include smog so thick you can't see the end of your block and 20 million Mainland Chinese.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

most of the goons here, you will note, are not dead yet. just get a good respirator for you and your family while you're still in Canada and things will probably work out fine

There's a huge difference in how pollution affects a child compared to a fully grown adult. There is no upside to this goon going to China. His career is going to be worse off than if he were to remain in Canada, his kid is definitely going to be worse off health wise and psychologically, and all for what? A chance for some Eat, Pray, Love bullshit?

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Hong Kong is a great city with nature nearby.
Taiwan is a great country.
Macau, good for a day trip :shrug:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

if you go to Hong Kong meet up with the Hong Kong goons they are some of the sweetest and most beautiful people i have ever met. i went for Beertopia this past November and met caberham and Imperialist Dog (i think??) and simplefish and a few other lurkers and rental sting and zakrello and they were just so awesome

forums user fart simpson was also there, unfortunately

Sheep-Goats posted:

Tell me about Macau Autismo. I have heard only tiny bits about it but people talk about like they do Vegas (a city I think is actually decent): Boring after a weekend, bizzaro land.

i went for what, two days? i really liked it. was super chill, beautiful, had some cool portugese architecture, gambling was just alright, we took the ferry from HK to Macao. it was great. would love to go back at some point

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

imagine a child growing up not breathing free american air, how horrific

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

BONGHITZ posted:

the_upcoming_chinese_century.mp4

https://my.mixtape.moe/ddzwwv.mp4

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

BONGHITZ posted:

I know right?

Viva la Mexico!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

BONGHITZ posted:

As a child I only breathed bong hits and look at me now

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

if you go to Hong Kong meet up with the Hong Kong goons they are some of the sweetest and most beautiful people i have ever met. i went for Beertopia this past November and met caberham and Imperialist Dog (i think??) and simplefish and a few other lurkers and rental sting and zakrello and they were just so awesome

forums user fart simpson was also there, unfortunately

I hope to someday meet the Hong Kong goons and hope that most of them don't hate me on account of my posts in this thread.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

lol out of the entire world the US and canada are best set up to weather climate change, while China, India, and most of africa are utterly hosed.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sheep-Goats posted:

I hope to someday meet the Hong Kong goons and hope that most of them don't hate me on account of my posts in this thread.

they are wonderful humans and we had an awesome goonmeet, highly recommend HK and meeting any of them if they are around

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

they are wonderful humans and we had an awesome goonmeet, highly recommend HK and meeting any of them if they are around

The NYC goons are a good crew too IMO

I hope that most of them do not hate me on account of my posts in this thread.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

lol out of the entire world the US and canada are best set up to weather climate change, while China, India, and most of africa are utterly hosed.

actually the best countries are norway, sweden, finland, iceland, canada, usa, russia and the UK i think?? i read the book "the world in 2050" and it spent like half hte book talking about climate change.

ya china is super hosed moving forward, they have like 1/6th of the world's population and like 3% of the world's natural resources or something insane like that. can't remember the actual numbers but it doesn't really matter what they are, because they are screwed

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Here is what a 7 meter rise in sea-level does to the US's most vulnerable coastal areas.

Now check out the Chinese coastline after a 2m rise.

Also keep in mind this map of China's population density.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 23, 2017

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Hey goons I have a small child and an advanced degree that is a good money earner but my wife pulled a sweet gig in China making an enormous 3k monthly should I uproot everything and go there as a house husband??????

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Glenn Quebec posted:

Hey goons I have a small child and an advanced degree that is a good money earner but my wife pulled a sweet gig in China making an enormous 3k monthly should I uproot everything and go there as a house husband??????

Have you considered changing spouses instead of hotels cities?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Glenn Quebec posted:

If that's 3k RMB you're an idiot, if its 3k not denominated in USD backed by a non-Chinese company you're an idiot, and if its 3k USD and you plan to live in any major city in China and don't plan to live inside a room the size of your child's soon to be filth encrusted lungs you're just not seeing a pattern here.

Now, if you do end up in a non Tier-1 city and get 3k in USD each month, prepare to be useless because she can hire all the house husbanding she'll ever need for pennies a day and you'll be stuck doing nothing all day long.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Sheep-Goats posted:

Tae Kwon Do is one of the most worthless martial arts as far as self defense goes though. No punching generally and definitely never no punching to the head. If you don't know how to fight I guess you could lose to a TKD guy but 95 times out of a hundred anyone who is a competent boxer or has had any other sort of actual martial art that allows punching to the head is going to make a mess out of them.

#1 source of KOs in MMA? Right cross to the head.
#1 source of KOs in boxing? Right cross to the head.
#1 source of KOs in kickboxing, including Muay Thai? Right cross to the head.
#1 thing that gets you a penalty in TKD? Right cross to the head.

Punching someone in the head is absolutely our number one offensive capacity as unarmed humans and building a martial art that ignores it is absolutely moronic.

If you're talking a Korean judoka or whatever that's a different issue, of course.

I'm not saying that every guy in Korea is an MMA champ, but that they have more experience in fighting techniques, they are proportionally larger/more physically fit, and from the fights I have seen in Korea, they actually throw punches instead of slapping, flailing, and doing their best impression of a Ukrainian folk dance like the ones I have seen in China.

The Whoreax
Sep 7, 2008
I speak for the wood.

Glenn Quebec posted:

this is par for the course for goons though

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Do chinese people still have trouble walking in straight lines and instead just stagger around and stop randomly?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Pirate Radar posted:

Have you considered changing spouses instead of hotels cities?

I wanted to post this initially but my brain is so sodden and sorry that it couldn't work its way to a postable solution.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Blistex posted:

I'm not saying that every guy in Korea is an MMA champ, but that they have more experience in fighting techniques, they are proportionally larger/more physically fit, and from the fights I have seen in Korea, they actually throw punches instead of slapping, flailing, and doing their best impression of a Ukrainian folk dance like the ones I have seen in China.

fair

I only got into one fight the time I lived in NYC and it was with a Korean who was in my usual Mexican place calling all the workers spics over and over. I was a lot bigger than him and did judo and kickboxing all through highschool so "fight" isn't really the right word and I also smashed his glasses under my foot when I left so maybe I was behaving poorly that day.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

you broke his glasses after you won?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

hakimashou posted:

Do chinese people still have trouble walking in straight lines and instead just stagger around and stop randomly?

Still? They have been doing that non-stop for 5000 years!

Sheep-Goats posted:

fair

I only got into one fight the time I lived in NYC and it was with a Korean who was in my usual Mexican place calling all the workers spics over and over. I was a lot bigger than him and did judo and kickboxing all through highschool so "fight" isn't really the right word and I also smashed his glasses under my foot when I left so maybe I was behaving poorly that day.

Doesn't count. From your description he was obviously born in the US.

BONGHITZ posted:

Well he was cussing, and Sheep Goats doesn't take kindly to that.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

BONGHITZ posted:

They had fallen into my path out and yes

Sorry racist Korean rear end in a top hat, that was probably a bit much

Blistex posted:

Still? They have been doing that non-stop for 5000 years!

Doesn't count. From your description he was obviously born in the US.

Maybe but he had a really thick accent.

Blistex posted:

Well he was cussing, and Sheep Goats doesn't take kindly to that.

He was being a world class rear end in a top hat to these Mexican people I saw a few times a week because I usually ate in their place after bartending, and they were sitting there just miserably kind of taking it and I got a little peeved about it.

raton fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 23, 2017

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Sheep-Goats posted:

Maybe but he had a really thick accent.

So, from New York?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Blistex posted:

So, from New York?

They had one of those dick touching saunas two stops from my apartment on the R.

MEN'S SAUANA
24 HR

(Bunch of Korean letters)

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Sheep-Goats posted:

They had one of those dick touching saunas two stops from my apartment on the R.

<triggered>

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
https://np.reddit.com/r/news/comments/5phjg9/kellyanne_conway_spicer_gave_alternative_facts_on/dcrdfgn/?st=iy99x3xr&sh=83b411f1

So, reading this comment about Trump was funny to me after understanding China because Trump is about 1000% a modern Chinese politician. Maybe in the future we can just team up with China instead of being enemies, because the whole "cultural differences" thing won't be a thing.

hakimashou posted:

They do not know any other way.

Now I reminded of the last time I went out.
A few days ago I was riding my skateboard in the park, trying to stick to the designated bike lane (LOL, "designated") and this family of 5 or 6 had some sort of tidal effect where they would pull together and drift apart, and do this over and over. I was watching from a distance, and as I approached I had tried to swerve to where there should have been open space (they were hogging the entire path). At the last moment one of the drifters got right in front of me and I had to stop, and she began screaming at the top of her lungs from half a meter away about how I scared her and whatever else her mushmouth was letting fly. I completely ignored her and kept going, which may have won me some face.

Further ahead, two teenage kids on rented bikes had decided to stop to talk to each other and parked their bikes sideways tire to tire, making a barrier that took up that part of the path. People were just walking/riding through the grass around them not saying anything. I didn't feel like getting off my skateboard, so I rode right into the middle of them. I was going to also say nothing, but I figured they were learning English in school, so I said "Move these loving bikes out of the way!" to which one of the kids said "I am sorry" in English.
About five minutes later I was riding on the path and the two kids showed up next to me on their bikes and tried to box me in, so I foot braked and they didn't realize I could do that, and then they got all swervy and started shouting in Chinese and sped off.

And finally, I was again in the designated bike area, riding in the flow of the bikes all moving one direction. People were mostly segregated on the proper sides of the path, so traffic was moving smoothly in either direction. A family of four were all on rented bikes coming towards us, with one of the kids riding against traffic. There was plenty of space for the kid to get out of the way, but instead the kid chose to go forward while the parents said nothing. She forced an old woman on a bike off the path, a mom with a stroller, and one more person on a bike. I decided to play chicken and the kid had huge eyes when she saw it was a foreigner coming at her. I stopped first and her tire hit my board, and I stood there with my arms up saying "What are you doing?" Her mom just started laughing. This kid actually also said "sorry" in English. I don't get it. Like, somewhere in their minds they all know what they are doing is stupid and inconveniences others, but who cares, right?

LentThem posted:

I love it that drunk chinese dudes are filled with impotent rage and lash out by violently kicking inanimate objects like doors, walls, and parked cars

like in some countries when youre drunk maybe you want an excuse to gently caress someone up, but in china you risk getting hurt so its better to fight something that can't hit back

by the way that's also why fights in china are almost entirely push-kicks and jumping kicks - you have the most distance and the least likely chance of hurting yourself while doing it
In my opinion/theory, think it's hilarious and sad the way self-preservation is the only thing in Mainland Chinese culture where human life suddenly becomes sacred (and only to the one person that matters). Everyone else can get hosed or go die, but when it personally affects me then it is going too far! Beyond this, the fear of the seasons, temperatures, weather, water, air, and so on are built into the collective self-preservation agreement that Chinese have with the universe. "Let me destroy everything as long as I am ok." So we get to see people get into hilarious fights where they do those idiotic kicks and nut-shots because it seems like they are the safest option to self-preservation (if you can't get everyone to gang up on the other, that is). I can imagine the amount of gun deaths here if guns were legal, and I don't mean all the ones where they were looking down the barrel to see if they could see the bullet in the chamber.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
One of the only fights i saw in China was at an open air beer/bbq grill place with a tent over it, and two drunks were yelling and throwing plastic chairs at eachother.

I also saw a big fat chinese dude cold cock a gong'an cop once in the street and then get dragged off by like 10 scrawny little gongan jingshas

I think the only other violence I saw was an unmarked van knock someone on a moped over then plainclothes guys handcuff him and drag him in and drive off. I remember there was a chick in a suit sitting in the van when the door was opened. Chinese girl I was with said 'maybe he has done a driving crime.'

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
China sounds like the perfect place for psychos to go pick street fights for a few months.

How often do foreigners get arrested for fighting?

^^: Getting black bagged into a van by several policemen sounds like a reasonable way to deal with a traffic violation.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
One of the most chinese things I ever saw was in Zhuhai along the waterfront road green belt thing. There were two groups of chinese people, maybe 8-10 to a group, and one group had a german shepard on a leash, the other a saint bernard, and the dogs were barking at eachother and jumping around at the ends of their leashes while all the chinese people were literally falling onto the ground laughing about it.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Outrail posted:

China sounds like the perfect place for psychos to go pick street fights for a few months.

How often do foreigners get arrested for fighting?

^^: Getting black bagged into a van by several policemen sounds like a reasonable way to deal with a traffic violation.

I was told it was a very bad idea to get into fights with Chinese people. It's their Chinar.

China has a humongous chip on its shoulder and a foreenah beating up a Chinese wouldn't go down well I don't think, at all.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Look at their loving basketball fights. Any questions?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Thinking about it the only time I ever came close to a physical altercation with a Chinese person was when I took a gal to Nanjing and some dirty bum guy accosted her and wouldn't let go of her arm and tore her shirt. He claimed she was his sister and owed him money. I was in his face and a police dude broke it up and just told us to zou ba.

Nanjing I later learned was China's Safest City.

I saw a foreigner lose his poo poo on a Chinese guy in macau once during CNY. They had a spot somewhere by the water where you could stick huge giant bottle rocket firework things into tubes welded to a railing and shoot them out over the water. A chinese dude had wedged his rocket under the tube or some poo poo and it was stuck there and shot a bunch of fire and sparks out the back and then exploded.

Some middle aged business expat dude started screaming at him for almost blowing up his kids.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
For the guy thinking about Beijing: don't, that's not enough money to support a family. I'm single and don't have any expenses other than food/drinks and I get by fine but with your degree you'd be much better off at home even if it's not as adventurous.

Blistex posted:

Did you see only like 2 fights or something? Vast majority of fights I've seen in Korea literally were just slapping and flailing around and hoping the other person would accidentally leave a mark so that they can get blood money.

That said, Korean dudes probably would win in a real fight vs a lot of other countries simply because as you say they're fairly fit, big, and despite how worthless the army conscription is they still learn how to fight.

I've went out a lot in Shanghai but the only fights I've seen so far have always been two foreigners fighting each other or people fighting over soccer matches in bars then buying each other drinks afterward. Then again I admit that Shanghai is fake China so I cannot comment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Sheep-Goats posted:

He was being a world class rear end in a top hat to these Mexican people I saw a few times a week because I usually ate in their place after bartending, and they were sitting there just miserably kind of taking it and I got a little peeved about it.

Out of curiosity, were you rewarded or banned for your chivalry?

• Locked thread