Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I missed the news until late in the day, :rip: Yordano. He was a hothead and never really figured things out as much as he should have but goddamn did he have a lot of talent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Grittybeard posted:

I missed the news until late in the day, :rip: Yordano. He was a hothead and never really figured things out as much as he should have but goddamn did he have a lot of talent.

Dude was also still only 25. You're not exactly wrong, but 25 and three seasons under his belt. I had never really given up on him figuring poo poo out.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
Is it too early to ponder what this means for the team's chances in 2017?

I mean, the rotation was already pretty shaky with Ventura - without him it's sort of a dumpster fire. Duffy, Kennedy, Vargas, ???, ????

Duffy has never pitched more than 179 innings in a single season. Vargas is returning from Tommy John surgery. And we saw last year what happens when you don't have a fifth starter - now we don't even have a fourth.

Does David Glass give GMDM the go-ahead to spend the money that would have gone to Ventura on another SP? And if so, who - it's not like there are a glut of quality SP free agents out there. Ventura was only set to make ~$3.5M so it doesn't free up a lot of money this year.

I was hoping for one more chance at the post season before free agency breaks up this core. :sigh:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Exodor posted:

Yes.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Baseball players need to report to padded cells between seasons from this point forward

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Goodpancakes posted:

Baseball players need to report to padded cells between seasons from this point forward

Or, because it's very clearly a pretty widespread problem, the league could develop an actual rehabilitation program for players struggling with substance abuse.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Ball players should just live in the stadium's janitorial closet from now on

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

They should stop driving in the Dominican Republic. Or stop driving drunk

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Exodor posted:

I mean, the rotation was already pretty shaky with Ventura - without him it's sort of a dumpster fire. Duffy, Kennedy, Vargas, ???, ????

Matt Strahm and Nate Karns will probably get a thorough audition during spring training, so if all goes well enough, they seem the most likely, with Chris Young as backup. Alec Mills could have an outside shot as well.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
There was a really good article written back in 2014 about Oscar Taveras that goes into the uniquely dangerous and challenging position young Latin American ballplayers are in. It's easy to say "well yeah, don't drink/smoke/snort coke while driving/boating/ever" from an outsiders perspective. It turns out though that when you're a kid in his early 20's coming from a background of complete and abject poverty and suddenly have millions of dollars burning a hole in your pocket it fucks with rational decision making a bit. There's also the added bonus that in a lot of these countries law enforcement and just overall conditions of safety are bordering on nonexistent. The Dominican Republic in particular is apparently one of the most deadly nations in the world in terms of traffic related deaths, and despite having stronger BAC level limits for legal driving than the US the police functionally never enforce them. It doesn't make it any less stupid and pointless, but it does add much needed context and I think the MLB as a whole could do a lot more to try and address it.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

What the gently caress did the Tigers even do this offseason

They didn't firesale and they didn't get any better

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Ugh Ventura will be missed. I really loved watching him pitch.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Neodoomium posted:

Other than trade Maybin nothing of note.

Sounds like they discussed players with other teams but they were probably wanting too much in return.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Neodoomium posted:

I'm still befuddled by the Twins' lack of moves other than signing Jason Castro. Sure, they can get better by way of prospects and young players improving but that pitching staff is still a hot mess.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Senf posted:

Or, because it's very clearly a pretty widespread problem, the league could develop an actual rehabilitation program for players struggling with substance abuse.

Pretty Much, but it's much easier to slap a fine on someone and suspend them then actually trying real solutions. This is not a problem unique to baseball either.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

YeahTubaMike posted:

Everyone on the boat was wasted and/or coked up, and I don't believe it was ever determined who was actually driving the boat.

Fair enough-I'd heard the initial reporting and not much else.

tadashi posted:

I'm still befuddled by the Twins' lack of moves other than signing Jason Castro. Sure, they can get better by way of prospects and young players improving but that pitching staff is still a hot mess.

B-b-b-but Framing! I'm assuming it's a combination of the new baseball staff wanting more time to evaluate what they have (8 pitchers with a legitimate shot at the rotation out of camp), the Dodgers choosing to center Dozier discussion around a prospect with injury flags, and expectations that the bullpen drafts of the last few years will finally start paying off. Team probably looks very different at the deadline.

Neodoomium posted:

Walker returning to the Mets and the Pirates deciding to try and sell instead of buy really screwed the market for Kinsler. Y'all are another team I'll be interested to see at the deadline. Really the whole Central outside of Cleveland seems to be at a point of transition but the Sox are the only ones moving. Maybe this will be the time position prospects work out for them!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tadashi posted:

Catcher was probably really their only "hole" on offense and there wasn't much pitching in their price range available in the offseason. Also what Paracaidas said.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Sydin posted:

There was a really good article written back in 2014 about Oscar Taveras that goes into the uniquely dangerous and challenging position young Latin American ballplayers are in. It's easy to say "well yeah, don't drink/smoke/snort coke while driving/boating/ever" from an outsiders perspective. It turns out though that when you're a kid in his early 20's coming from a background of complete and abject poverty and suddenly have millions of dollars burning a hole in your pocket it fucks with rational decision making a bit. There's also the added bonus that in a lot of these countries law enforcement and just overall conditions of safety are bordering on nonexistent. The Dominican Republic in particular is apparently one of the most deadly nations in the world in terms of traffic related deaths, and despite having stronger BAC level limits for legal driving than the US the police functionally never enforce them. It doesn't make it any less stupid and pointless, but it does add much needed context and I think the MLB as a whole could do a lot more to try and address it.

I live in Orlando, we have a ton of Dominican transplants. They are the worst drivers, but in particular it's like they flat out don't care if they get in an accident. Almost like it's a thing. When i talk to my Dominican friends, they just say its a different culture, you wouldn't understand!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Twins didn't even end up dealing Dozier despite badly needing pitching

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Twins didn't even end up dealing Dozier despite badly needing pitching

I don't blame them for holding out on Dozier. He's their best sales pitch to fans, their best player (unless Buxton continues to break-out), and their ticket toward a big payday via MLB ready prospects.

I expected more movement when it came to pitching. I can buy that their offense can be respectable now or very soon. Signing Castro gave me a huge sigh of relief because it's a sign they are willing to at least do the obvious things to make the franchise better.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

tadashi posted:

jfc what a dumb year already

Clearly the 2016 Death Curse applies to the fiscal year or something?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Inspector_666 posted:

Clearly the 2016 Death Curse applies to the fiscal year or something?

Baseball only being a year behind the trend is probably an improvement tbh.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I haven't seen anything that said Ventura was drunk?

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Seems like a weird way to punctuate that sentence

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
The Astros are apparently done making any major moves. Could've used one more pitcher, the rotation is pretty.... eh

Keuchel - Can he round back into form? Looked pretty bad most of last season
McCullers - Oh god can he stay healthy? He's a monster if he can
McHugh - JAG
Fiers - JAG
Morton - lol
Musgrove - Wild card, has tremendous stuff, can he put it together in his second year? Hopefully

I'm also sad to see Luis Valbuena go :smith: Especially to the Angels

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Exodor posted:

Duffy has never pitched more than 179 innings in a single season. Vargas is returning from Tommy John surgery. And we saw last year what happens when you don't have a fifth starter - now we don't even have a fourth.

Does David Glass give GMDM the go-ahead to spend the money that would have gone to Ventura on another SP? And if so, who - it's not like there are a glut of quality SP free agents out there. Ventura was only set to make ~$3.5M so it doesn't free up a lot of money this year.

I was hoping for one more chance at the post season before free agency breaks up this core. :sigh:
I have it on good authority that Duffy is the best LHSP in the game today so the Royals will be just fine

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bawfuls posted:

I have it on good authority that Duffy is the best LHSP in the game today so the Royals will be just fine

Only when he's on though

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

Only when he's on though
Good point. They could use another quality starter/longman to pick up the slack on days Duffy is starting but isn't on.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

The Dominican Republic in particular is apparently one of the most deadly nations in the world in terms of traffic related deaths, and despite having stronger BAC level limits for legal driving than the US the police functionally never enforce them.

The DR is also infamously and publicly corrupt, and if you have money you can get away with anything (which tends to be the case in ridiculously impoverished countries like that). Five or six years ago, Alfredo Simon got in an argument with a guy and his brother during a New Year's Eve party, one wound up dead and the other seriously injured. Simon was indicted for involuntary manslaughterfor his role in the shooting, and while under indictment and awaiting trial, the Dominican authorities allowed him to return to the United States for spring training (and his trial was delayed until the end of the regular season).

Senf posted:

It's not like WWE should be held as an example of a model company (independent contractors lol) and they do it solely as a PR move, but to their credit they do pay the full cost of inpatient or outpatient treatment for any current or former talent who needs help, no questions asked. I'm surprised the major North American sports leagues haven't followed that example.

Timby fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 23, 2017

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I don't blame the Twins for holding out for a second premium Dodger prospect, but they might be disappointed what they end up with in the end. Second base seems like a tough position to trade for whatever reason, and how many contending teams even have a prospect like JDL they would trade for a 2nd baseman.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Hand Row posted:

I don't blame the Twins for holding out for a second premium Dodger prospect, but they might be disappointed what they end up with in the end. Second base seems like a tough position to trade for whatever reason, and how many contending teams even have a prospect like JDL they would trade for a 2nd baseman.
essentially none, which is why no other team has swooped in to pick up Dozier

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sydin posted:

Driving in Saudi Arabia was legitimately terrifying and it has like half the rate of fatal accidents the DR does. I find that hard to even fathom. By 2008 your chances of surviving a year in Iraq were better than they are driving today in the DR.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Hand Row posted:

how many contending teams even have a prospect like JDL they would trade for a 2nd baseman.

The same amount of non-contending teams that have a 2nd baseman like Dozier, which is why no other team has swooped in to pick up JDL

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
N: Giants sign Korean 3B Jae-Gyun Hwang

V:
https://twitter.com/MyKBO/status/616969664837464064

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

He needs to keep that bat flip.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Explosionface posted:

He needs to keep that bat flip.

In before he does that in the bigs and someone (read: old dude) gets all :qq: over UNWRITTEN RULES OF BASEBALL :qq:

Bautista's bat flip was the most awesome thing in the 2015 playoffs :colbert:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

The same amount of non-contending teams that have a 2nd baseman like Dozier, which is why no other team has swooped in to pick up JDL
only one of these two players is a quickly depreciating asset

How will Madison handle this?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

bawfuls posted:

only one of these two players is a quickly depreciating asset

Koreans are some of "the good ones." He'll be okay.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

Skin isn't brown so it should be fine.

e:f,b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair