Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The thing that gets me is how viciously spiteful a lot of right-wing people are. They legitimately hate anyone who isn't them, and physically abhor the idea of helping less fortunate people. It's really shameful.

edit: and of course they all call themselves christians. That poo poo's hosed up.

If you haven't read it, read Bob Altemayer's "The Authoritarians". It's basically about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Like, what did jesus say? gently caress the poor? That sounds right. (I know that this is like, literally the oldest complaint ever, but c'mon.)

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Like, what did jesus say? gently caress the poor? That sounds right. (I know that this is like, literally the oldest complaint ever, but c'mon.)

The book gets into the mindset of right wing authoritarians and the guy involved has been surveying people for like 30 years over this stuff. It's far more insightful than anything I could write about it. The idea of a logical inconsistency doesn't really mean anything in this context and that it has far more to do with a specific personality set than actual logic, that these are the same people who are executing people in Nazi Germany, starving people in the USSR, burning down churches in America.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Haha this ipsy.com ad at the top of thepage is magenta colored and it keeps making me think I've been probed haha

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 221 days!
I'm all about allowing non-violent resistance to Nazis.

You can be like my maternal grandfather who was a pacifist who built bridges so that other people could kill the Nazis.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Update: I did not die in a horrible snowy mountain carcrash

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

glam rock hamhock posted:

Update: I did not die in a horrible snowy mountain carcrash

Is kaiju Anne Hathaway good?

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

K. Waste posted:

I had the sever with a friend after he started tweeting about Sandy Hook conspiracy theories - not because he authentically believed them, but because he was already pre-disposed to the position that, regardless of what the facts were, they were being twisted to support gun control, so he might as well proliferate the conspiracy simply to undermine the credibility of the government.

But that's just par of the course in the ecosystem of the alt-right. It can't even be called an 'echo chamber,' because deliberate falsity is cherished as the only way to conform the 'useful idiots' to the correct ideology. These are people who un-ironically share videos of interviews with (self-proclaimed) ex-KGB agents discussing counter-intelligence and cultural Marxism and say, "Hey, we can do that!"

The problem I think the alt-right are going to run into, and conservatives too since they have swallowed to a degree the same red pill, is that they have embraced this sort of "post-truth" / postmodern prism into which they filter, perceive, and project information through. The issue is that this is completely counter to the very core being of reactionary ideology, which not only needs certainty, but demands it.

They've made a huge short term gain in using it as a strategy to get the white house, but I think there's going to be a lot of backfire. Reactionaries arent cut out for relativism and "post-truth." They're like Wile E Coyote right now, they've run off the cliff and they're only still going because they haven't looked down, yet.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

They've made a huge short term gain in using it as a strategy to get the white house

I don't think they have. I think the explanation for this election is not "alt right sophistry resonated with a lot of people" and the belief that this philosophy is a critical part of Trump's success, if it is indeed shared by Trump/his campaigners, is going to lead to a lot of hurt for them in future elections where they aren't faced by a grossly incompetent and unappealing opponent.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

K. Waste posted:

I had the sever with a friend after he started tweeting about Sandy Hook conspiracy theories - not because he authentically believed them, but because he was already pre-disposed to the position that, regardless of what the facts were, they were being twisted to support gun control, so he might as well proliferate the conspiracy simply to undermine the credibility of the government.

this is legitimately one of the most disgusting things I've ever read. How do you manage to be an even shittier person than the ones who are propagating this hurtful conspiracy theory? Propagate it despite the fact that you don't believe it. At least the schizoid assholes who believe it have their dumb broken brains to blame for being a fuckwad.

Also, I'm gonna start using the word "fuckwad' more in honor of John Larroquette, who said in an interview it's his favorite curse word, because he's totally right. It's a great "one-size-fits-all" insult. Anyone can be a fuckwad!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

RandallODim posted:

Is kaiju Anne Hathaway good?

Hasn't started yet

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

K. Waste posted:

But that's just par of the course in the ecosystem of the alt-right. It can't even be called an 'echo chamber,' because deliberate falsity is cherished as the only way to conform the 'useful idiots' to the correct ideology. These are people who un-ironically share videos of interviews with (self-proclaimed) ex-KGB agents discussing counter-intelligence and cultural Marxism and say, "Hey, we can do that!"

My dad is/was kinda like that, I vividly remember him once randomly suggesting that 9/11 was an inside job and said something about being able to see "explosions" at the base of the tower. I think he's gotten a little better since I've moved up here and spent more time with him, I try to gently counteract questionable things he says. He's entrenched in this idea that it's him against the world and he has to fight tooth and nail for every little thing, and everyone's always trying to take it away from him, which I think is common in the alt-right and general conservative set.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Just as Canada looks like a good country because everyone compares it to the US, Trudeau will look like a good prime minister because everyone is going to compare him to Trump.

He already looks good because he's being compared to Stephen Harper. The best the conservatives can do to attack him is to be like HE IS GOING ON VACATIONS!!!!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Yo, the GBS Inaguration Candid Camera thread is great. CNN has a gigapixel image up that you can zoom in on.
http://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2017/01/politics/trump-inauguration-gigapixel/

I found Don Fanucci:

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Lurdiak posted:

He already looks good because he's being compared to Stephen Harper. The best the conservatives can do to attack him is to be like HE IS GOING ON VACATIONS!!!!

I have it on good authority he threw an elbow off the top rope at a lady PM

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Batman 89 is good but Batman Returns is better.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

mugrim posted:

The book gets into the mindset of right wing authoritarians and the guy involved has been surveying people for like 30 years over this stuff. It's far more insightful than anything I could write about it. The idea of a logical inconsistency doesn't really mean anything in this context and that it has far more to do with a specific personality set than actual logic, that these are the same people who are executing people in Nazi Germany, starving people in the USSR, burning down churches in America.

I take your word 100% on this because not only did you mention a book, but your avatar is the kind where it's like...drat this guy reads the books.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

CelticPredator posted:

So I've been talking to my trump supporter friends and found common ground. That's good right? We have had pleasant discussions so far. But they don't live in rural Colorado and or work on a farm.

Those people I feel are not gonna be helped.

Good if you were looking to be converted by them, I suppose.
A good thing would to not be friends with someone that's racist and sexist.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Maggie Roche died.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA-U5H4VoX8

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Oh, dammit. My Mom loves their Christmas album.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I'm mostly only familiar with Suzzy Roche, from my love of Loudon Wainwright III.
But the Roches had really clever lyrics and beautiful voices, bummed I didn't listen to them more before.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

wyoming posted:

Good if you were looking to be converted by them, I suppose.
A good thing would to not be friends with someone that's racist and sexist.

The common ground is they are not. And we see eye to eye on these things. They just like guns and are in or have family in the army.

Anyway, uh....I did say holy poo poo on loud at the end of split. I'm sorry but holy loving poo poo.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Colossal loving ruled extremely hard

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
I watched two different dystopian sci-fi movies today and enjoyed both of them! Black Road just had a bunch of stuff that I love to see in movies/books, it felt like something taking place in the background of a Neal Stephenson novel. I believe I saw someone recommend The Call Up in this thread, I had sort of low expectations but I really liked it. Switching between the warscape of the game to the bright white of the real world was used very well.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Punch Maiden is a fan of the New Yoak Fewtbawgh Giantz. This one is from the archives, obviously.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
is any1 watching snl?? whats goin on over there
https://twitter.com/BecketAdams/status/823055522748370945

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

My favorite line read in that whole movie is "You set me up over a woman. A WOMAN! You must be insane."

Same.

I Before E posted:

Yeah. Returns has the greatest comic book movie performance of all-time.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
DeVito's whole character arc in that movie is basically DESIGNED to make small children cry it's awesome

like when the Penguins drop him into the water Jesus Christ :(

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Possible cover idea? Whatever saves me from drawing the full regalia lol

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Needs a case of beer in hand.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I had a great one of her drinking a beer relaxing on a giant severed monster head but it's like two years old and it's extremely bad so I'm not gonna show you, just let you know, that exists.... that... yeah

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Yo, Dickeye/not-Dickeye, you're using "retarded" a lot again. Please don't.

PS for the record, I'm glad that axleblaze survived, and emotionally I'm fully in favour of Nazis getting punched.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mugrim posted:

If you haven't read it, read Bob Altemayer's "The Authoritarians". It's basically about this.

Thanks for this.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

Yo, the GBS Inaguration Candid Camera thread is great. CNN has a gigapixel image up that you can zoom in on.
http://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2017/01/politics/trump-inauguration-gigapixel/

I found Don Fanucci:

Is that regular 1985 Biff behind him, seeing what his alternate timeline self is up to in 2017?

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

DeimosRising posted:

I don't think they have. I think the explanation for this election is not "alt right sophistry resonated with a lot of people" and the belief that this philosophy is a critical part of Trump's success, if it is indeed shared by Trump/his campaigners, is going to lead to a lot of hurt for them in future elections where they aren't faced by a grossly incompetent and unappealing opponent.

I worded that part wrong, I meant the conservatives and especially the religious right. The alt-right aint poo poo but I still like to mention them because theyre so fuckin dumb.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

this is legitimately one of the most disgusting things I've ever read.

really? cuz like just a page or two ago we were just talking about a dude who in 2016 advocated for exterminating the black race. hell, if you read the news over the past year, I would figure you'd have read something considerably more disgusting daily.

I Before E posted:

Yes.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jan 23, 2017

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI, I rescind my stance towards Spencer:
https://www.wesearchr.com/bounties/expose-the-antifa-who-sucker-punched-richard-spencer

gently caress these guys, they deserve whatever's coming to them.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Egbert Souse posted:

It's not. We're better than that. Our weapons are ideas, reason, and truth.

"When they go low, we go high" is an ideology that cost Democrats the Presidency and a shitton of down-ballot positions. You can't use ideas, reason, or truth against a 38-year-old Macklemore lookalike who thinks Black people should literally be wiped from the face of the earth.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Side note, I rewatched Batman '89 the other night and gently caress is it good.

I rewatched it about a year ago on a hungover Sunday, and it's absolutely a perfect movie for that state of being. It's a lot of fun but just slow enough that your booze-drained brain isn't going to spin.

CPL593H posted:

Did you see the one with X Gon Give it To Ya?

This one is my favorite so far
https://twitter.com/prttybadtweeter/status/822620848897069056

I Before E posted:

Easily, Batman '89 doesn't have Frank Reynolds as The Penguin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

CPL593H posted:

When The Dark Knight came out I remember the internet all came together to declare Heath Ledger as the ultimate portrayal of that character and that Jack Nicholson and that whole movie were total crap. I think it's died down since, but I still can't believe people ever thought that. Heath Ledger was interesting in the role for sure, but come the gently caress on. Jack Nicholson completely outclasses him in every way and the Tim Burton movies are just so much more fun than the Christopher Nolan series.
Could Ebert have swayed internet opinion like that back then? He loved the Nolan Batmans and was generally mixed on previous Batman blockbusters.

• Locked thread