Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Plan Z posted:

The key is there's no video of them doing those types of acts. Your average person generally believes Neo-Nazis are just non-violent slacktavists (I regularly see the fake "BLM has killed more people than the KKK/Neo-Nazis" bullshit line on social media), and in this case they're only seeing one side doing the act of a White Supremacist framing this as "shutting down someone's free speech" with violence. The only thing better than a dead Neo-Nazi is a converted Neo-Nazi, but I'm not going to give them something that at best for us gives him a sense of satisfaction and at best for them gives them social media propaganda. This only benefitted him.

Yes, but also consider Hitler wasn't as big of a figure in politics until his imprisonment increased celebrity and appeal.

Maybe he should have pissed himself and started crying for his mummy, that would have been a real masterstroke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Plan Z posted:

The key is there's no video of them doing those types of acts. Your average person generally believes Neo-Nazis are just non-violent slacktavists (I regularly see the fake "BLM has killed more people than the KKK/Neo-Nazis" bullshit line on social media), and in this case they're only seeing one side doing the act of a White Supremacist framing this as "shutting down someone's free speech" with violence. The only thing better than a dead Neo-Nazi is a converted Neo-Nazi, but I'm not going to give them something that at best for us gives him a sense of satisfaction and at best for them gives them social media propaganda. This only benefitted him.

Yes, but also consider Hitler wasn't as big of a figure in politics until his imprisonment increased celebrity and appeal.

The entirety of Nazi politics is violence. Expressing Nazi beliefs is violence. Bringing violence to them delegitimizes their ability to talk about how strong and tough and alpha they are and keeps their hidden supporters from crawling out of their cesspools to try to recruit others.

There is no situation where you are not justified in assaulting a Nazi.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Plan Z posted:

Right, cause he took it like a man. He served his sentence and wrote his book. He was, for all intents and purposes, stoic in his arrest and imprisonment - they did not make him break.

Imagine if he poo poo himself and cried when he got arrested. Anytime he tried to rally people, anytime he was trying to rise in politics, people would ask "wait, is that the guy who poo poo himself and cried?".

Spencer folded like a cheap lawn chair after one punch and had to run away. That's the key difference. If he had just snapped back and continued talking to the camera as if nothing happened, that would be the propaganda boost as you say. But now after one punch, the guy is scared out of his wits. He didn't just break, he shattered.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

The entirety of Nazi politics is violence. Expressing Nazi beliefs is violence. Bringing violence to them delegitimizes their ability to talk about how strong and tough and alpha they are and keeps their hidden supporters from crawling out of their cesspools to try to recruit others.

There is no situation where you are not justified in assaulting a Nazi.

You're ignoring the context of situations like this. He was there "non-violently demonstrating" and was punched by someone for speaking his mind. Just do me a favor and ignore what a Nazi "deserves" in retribution for violence inherent in their system (which this one likely did not commit in the name of White Supremacy in his lifetime). This only serves to give him propaganda ammo and gives us nothing. Nobody knew who this guy was yesterday, and now there are people willing to fall over themselves defending him. If there was no punch, thousands less people would know his name and even less would be there to sympathize with him.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Plan Z posted:

Nobody knew who this guy was yesterday

Not really true, he was already notorious from the "Hail Trump" video back around the election.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I mean maybe? To people who really want to be afraid of leftists he is now a darling for a while but for other people he's that Nazi guy who got punched and cried on the Internet about it

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Plan Z posted:

You're ignoring the context of situations like this. He was there "non-violently demonstrating" and was punched by someone for speaking his mind. Just do me a favor and ignore what a Nazi "deserves" in retribution for violence inherent in their system (which this one likely did not commit in the name of White Supremacy in his lifetime). This only serves to give him propaganda ammo and gives us nothing. Nobody knew who this guy was yesterday, and now there are people willing to fall over themselves defending him. If there was no punch, thousands less people would know his name and even less would be there to sympathize with him.

People already know who is is, he's been on mainstream news sites. And on the contrary, it's good that its getting out that he is nazi scum. The people who are coming out to defend him are also outing themselves, which is a good thing

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Do y'all really know that many Nazi defenders?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

1stGear posted:

You know who else thought it was a good idea to civilly engage with and appease fascists? That's right, Neville Chamberlain.

Negotiating with Trumpists will help buy time to rebuild the arsenal of democracy. AGP.

(But secretly still a bad post)

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Where are the comics?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Shangri-Law School posted:

There are more than a few on these here boards, friend. The level of irony they espouse is up to you to determine.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Chard posted:

There are more than a few on these here boards, friend. The level of irony they espouse is up to you to determine.

I think they mostly hang out on the gun board.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Plan Z posted:

You're ignoring the context of situations like this. He was there "non-violently demonstrating" and was punched by someone for speaking his mind. Just do me a favor and ignore what a Nazi "deserves" in retribution for violence inherent in their system (which this one likely did not commit in the name of White Supremacy in his lifetime)

such a tragedy when people ignore the context of situations like this. so do me a favor and ignore the context of his beliefs,

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Guys, don't you get it, you can just beat nazis by debating them.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Tardigrade posted:

Dr Seuss. Dr Seuss knew all along.

(Replace "bath tub" with "swamp")

You forgot the one about his promise to put America first.

And to prove it's not edited: http://library.ucsd.edu/speccoll/dswenttowar/index.html#ark:bb0000819h

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Quite a few. Hell, my own grandmother argued to my face that Steve Bannon, who I got her to admit is in fact a Neo-Nazi, is actually A-OK because Obama. Literally, just, Obama probably had bad people on his team too, so it's okay that an actual Neo-Nazi is in the White House, advising Trump on every issue and writing his speeches. Also have at least one "friend" who "ironically" went 100% in on Trump during the election and spouting Reddit bullshit constantly.

Also, we have a Nazi defender as our President now; Trump has been adamant that Bannon's totally a good guy and admirable person and whatnot. I think he has at least one other Neo-Nazi on his team too, maybe more.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 23, 2017

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Ularg posted:

I think they mostly hang out on the gun board.

TFR or GIP?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Who is this? It looks kind of like Rall, but it's saying nice things about Obama, so...

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I've lived in rural Pennsylvania for about 20 years if that answers your question.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Jurgan posted:

Who is this? It looks kind of like Rall
It has humans who look like humans and a sense of perspective, so... no.

Hihohe posted:

Where are the comics?
Here?

But have some Italian WWI political cartoons (less nightmarish / chibi than the usual Italian WWI cartoons)
Italy being courted by both sides of the war before deciding to commit.
Drowning in the sea of neutrality, Italy will only take offers of territory that are rightfully hers. Mixed metaphors ahoy.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 23, 2017

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

duz posted:

TFR or GIP?

TFR, they mostly either shoot at gun ranges or play airsoft. The one I met seemed like he wasn't a white nationalist, just very fond of the look of Nazi Germany. Not sure how far the line blurs but maybe I shouldn't just poo poo talk another goon. Was funny though he never wanted to play anything other than Germany when we LANed Company of Heroes.

He ended up buying me one of these, which took a bit for my brain to make the connection, but maybe I'm reaching:

(I got extremely lucky with google as there was a sticker on the back of this for the item number)

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Ularg posted:

TFR, they mostly either shoot at gun ranges or play airsoft. The one I met seemed like he wasn't a white nationalist, just very fond of the look of Nazi Germany. Not sure how far the line blurs but maybe I shouldn't just poo poo talk another goon. Was funny though he never wanted to play anything other than Germany when we LANed Company of Heroes.

He ended up buying me one of these, which took a bit for my brain to make the connection, but maybe I'm reaching:

(I got extremely lucky with google as there was a sticker on the back of this for the item number)

Nope, that's straight-up a Totenkopf skull. The weirdly short, blunt crossbones behind the skull, the slightly saggy right eye socket, and the 3/4 angle are the giveaway.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Somfin posted:

Nope, that's straight-up a Totenkopf skull. The weirdly short, blunt crossbones behind the skull, the slightly saggy right eye socket, and the 3/4 angle are the giveaway.

I think you'll find that it's actually just a symbol that our Hero Marines use to frighten their enemies, and is in no way related to something (I can't remember what) that America proudly but super reluctantly went to war and loving WON SINGLE HANDEDLY that one time, I can't remember when.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

Also, we have a Nazi defender as our President now; Trump has been adamant that Bannon's totally a good guy and admirable person and whatnot. I think he has at least one other Neo-Nazi on his team too, maybe more.

I still agree with this assessment. Yet with every look into his psyche -- both in and out of the white house -- I can't help shake the feeling that it may be the case that Donald J Trump has a brain functionally no different from a sieve. It is shockingly easy to tell when it's Bannon giving him words and when Trump is speaking his own, garbled thoughts.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Xander77 posted:

It has humans who look like humans and a sense of perspective, so... no.

Well, let's say it's someone with more talent attempting a similar aesthetic.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Jurgan posted:

Well, let's say it's someone with more talent attempting a similar aesthetic.

Uh, I don't see it, dude. I mean, I guess it has that "naive" school of cartooning, but otherwise there's absolutely nothing that suggests it's trying to look like Rall.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

This may be the most accurate caption I have ever seen.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I can't believe we live in a world where we actually have to defend the idea that punching Nazis is Good.

Punching Nazis is Good.

Of course, imagine being so despicable that everyone on the internet is arguing whether you getting sucker punched in the face is good or bad.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

MokBa posted:

I can't believe we live in a world where we actually have to defend the idea that punching Nazis is Good.

Punching Nazis is Good.

Of course, imagine being so despicable that everyone on the internet is arguing whether you getting sucker punched in the face is good or bad.

It's one of those "unpopular opinion puffin" memes that would actually get downvoted and never see the front page, unlike "I think women should know their place" which gets to the front page once a week.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

MokBa posted:

Punching Nazis is Good.

I think we just reached peak mr. internet toughguyism

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Nenonen posted:

I think we just reached peak mr. internet toughguyism

The dam's broken, duder. Someone actually punched an internet tough guy who deserved it, and as a result the guy who got punched ran away crying and trying to make sure his hair was still pretty for the cameras.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

After The War posted:

This may be the most accurate caption I have ever seen.
Are you having trouble processing what the image means?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Improbable Lobster posted:

Assaulting someone who regularly calls for genocide only provides support for them if you're some kind of loving moron idiot clown.

A nice thought. Now look at who you elected president and tell me he's not a loving moron idiot clown. Tell me that the people who voted for him are not loving moron idiot clowns. I'll sleep better.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jedit posted:

A nice thought. Now look at who you elected president and tell me he's not a loving moron idiot clown. Tell me that the people who voted for him are not loving moron idiot clowns. I'll sleep better.

They obviously are and punching a nazi in the face isn't going to make them worse somehow

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It's funny they used a TV action drama as justification for literal torture, but despite cinema's enduring tradition of punching our enemies the right is aghast over decking a neo-nazi.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Jedit posted:

Not all Trump voters are nazis, but all nazis voted for Trump.

Starving Wolf
Apr 2, 2010

MUCH LATER
Yams Fan
My grandfathers didn't live on rationed vodka and gruel made from dirty snow fighting in the great patriotic war for me to live in a world where punching Nazis is not okay. Always punch nazis always. Don't think about it, as soon as you think about whether a nazi getting punched is good or bad for the nazi or for you, you are already over-analyzing the situation. Punch the Nazis. Punch them for grandpop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Starving Wolf posted:

My grandfathers didn't live on rationed vodka and gruel made from dirty snow fighting in the great patriotic war for me to live in a world where punching Nazis is not okay. Always punch nazis always. Don't think about it, as soon as you think about whether a nazi getting punched is good or bad for the nazi or for you, you are already over-analyzing the situation. Punch the Nazis. Punch them for grandpop.

Just wash your hands first, you don't want to leave cheetodust stains.

• Locked thread