Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Khazar-khum posted:

You know what's really unnerving?

There are Roman dams still in use.

If it's lasted this long, it's probably going to last a lot longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Cat Potency posted:

The truly unnerving thing is that you get the impression that she would have starved/dehydrated herself to death if 60 minutes hadn't decided to end their surveillance of her. It seems like they set out to expose a fraud and quickly realized that they were dealing with a dangerously mentally ill person who was willing to die in order to keep up the charade. Of course, she has some garbage excuses about being poisoned by the city air to explain away her deteriorating health. The segment is worth a watch. Last I heard, Jasmuheen is still an outspoken champion of "breatharianism".

Reminds me of the AIDs denial magazine that ceased publication after every single person involved with it died of AIDs.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Khazar-khum posted:

Hell yeah

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Less unnerving and more goofy, but a weird way they apprehended a serial killer in NYC in 1946:
this is loving hilarious

AlbieQuirky posted:

More unnerving when you know that Heirens was probably innocent, had cognitive disabilities, and confessed possibly as a result of police brutality.
you ruined the illusion :( I guess you did make me more unnerved than my funny mental image reading that post though, so thread mission accomplished

WickedHate posted:

Reminds me of the AIDs denial magazine that ceased publication after every single person involved with it died of AIDs.
was just about to post this. guess I'm not the only one to associate breatharians with the AIDS denial guys.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuum_(magazine)

quote:

Continuum was created in December 1992 by Jody Wells (March 12, 1947 – August 26, 1995) in London, United Kingdom. It ceased publication in 2001, after all the editors died from AIDS-defining clinical conditions,[2] leaving debts of over £14,000.

this whole article is pretty unnerving. goddammit Foo Fighters.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIV/AIDS_denialism

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Khazar-khum posted:

This is what happens when you accidentally discover really strong concrete in ancient times.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

El Estrago Bonito posted:

This is what happens when you accidentally discover really strong concrete in ancient times.

And it was a total mystery to everyone until they realized Romans were just throwing dirt into it....well ash, but still.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Netflix has a show called Curious And Unusual Deaths. They're equal parts funny and unnerving to me, like a fisherman who took a nap under his truck only to have the tide come in extra high so he first got crushed by the truck and then drowned.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Then you ned togo watch 1000 Ways to Die. It's the same basic show only they make everyone who died an rear end in a top hat of some sort so you don't feel bad. Also theres like a million more terrible puns.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

Then you ned togo watch 1000 Ways to Die. It's the same basic show only they make everyone who died an rear end in a top hat of some sort so you don't feel bad. Also theres like a million more terrible puns.
They used to run that back to back with MXC on Spike late nights. The best just-got-home-from-the-bar programming.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

flosofl posted:

They used to run that back to back with MXC on Spike late nights. The best just-got-home-from-the-bar programming.

MXC is one of my favorite late night drunk shows of all time. Just something about the non-sequiturs and overly excited announcers fit perfectly with blackout drunk. You woke up hungover, but happy.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
MXC has a ton of episodes if not all of them on youtube

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sponge Baathist posted:

MXC has a ton of episodes if not all of them on youtube

Back when I still used it, Hulu had every single episode

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

Also to read the Fortean Times, which is to some degree Unnerving Articles And Stories Monthly. Their oldest regular feature, running for at least 30 years, is the Strange Deaths column, which also has its own thread on their forums that is well worth reading. The current OP is a Pennsylvania man who apparently committed suicide by cop; he called 911 saying he was having a heart attack, but when state troopers arrived along with the ambulance he attacked them with a chainsaw.

Something more on topic for this thread from page 1: A man who was released on an insanity plea after beating his disabled sister to death with a dumbbell goes on to kill his six year old brother.

quote:

SAN ANTONIO - A man who smothered a 6-year-old and stuffed his body in an oven seemed irrational after the killing and told a detective he knew how to scatter himself across the earth so police couldn't catch him.

"If he was playing us, he was doing a good job because I didn't think he was rational," Beaumont police Detective Jason Hughes testified today in the murder trial of Kenneth Pierott.

Hughes and another detective tried for hours to get Pierott, 28, to talk about what had happened the night Tre-Devin Odoms was killed, Hughes testified.

Pierott instead wanted to talk about the earth and the sun and wasn't making much sense, the officer testified.

"It was like I couldn't get a common ground with him," Hughes told jurors. "He would change the subject and move to something else."

Prosecutor Ed Shettle suggested Pierott was using the tactic to avoid detectives' questions.

Pierott, 28, is charged with murder for the killing of his girlfriend's son from another relationship. Kathy Odoms and Pierott also had a son of their own. Pierott has pleaded innocent by reason of insanity and already confessed to the crime.

Pierott was previously found innocent by reason of insanity in the 1996 fatal beating of his sister, who suffered from cerebral palsy. However, jurors will not hear of the acquittal.

Hughes told jurors that Pierott insisted Tre-Devin was alive and at one point began shuffling his feet across the floor like a child and saying the boy was in the room.

Later that day, when Hughes and another detective transported Pierott back to Jefferson County from Harris County, where he was found, Pierott began screaming. Hughes said Pierott accused officers of trying to get him to confess and yelled out that "he was sanctified by the blood of Jesus Christ."

"It was really tense," Hughes said. "He did get real loud in the back of the car to the point where we were concerned for our safety."

Prosecutors contend Pierott knew it was wrong to kill Tre-Devin Odoms. They say he waited until the boy's mother fell asleep before smothering him quietly in April 2004 and left the house when Odoms awoke and began looking for her older son.

Defense attorneys, however, claim the killing came at the hands of an insane man who killed the 6-year-old in an effort to protect his then-2-year-old son with Odoms.

To prove insanity, a defendant must convince a jury he suffered from a severe mental disease or defect and did not know his actions were wrong.

Dr. Tommy J. Brown, the pathologist who autopsied the boy, testified there were bruises and scrapes on Tre-Devin's head and hands as he showed jurors pictures from the boy's autopsy. The child had a swollen lower lip, a bruise covering his entire nose, bruises on his forehead and a large scrape beneath his chin.

"In my opinion he was most likely dead when he was placed in the oven," Brown testified, adding the injuries likely came when the child was smothered. "If you shut off a person's airway, they are going to struggle."

Pierott, who has shown no emotion during the trial but sometimes stared at the oven prosecutors brought to the courtroom as evidence, fidgeted with his hands during Brown's testimony and blankly stared at the autopsy photos.

Kenneth Pierott's father told jurors his son arrived at his east Houston house and "had a glaze like in his eyes and a smile on his face."

"He acted like he had done a good thing," Kenneth Pierott Sr. testified.

In the 1996 case, Stephanie Pierott, 25, weighed only 43 pounds when Pierott beat her with a dumbbell so severely that he displaced her eyeballs and crushed her skull. He spent about four months in a state mental hospital in 1998 before he was released.

The prosecution rested Wednesday in the current case, which was moved was moved from Beaumont to San Antonio because of media attention.

If jurors find Pierott was insane when he killed Tre-Devin, he will spend at least 30 days in a mental hospital. If convicted, he faces up to 99 years in prison.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
MXC is on YouTube? Hell yeah

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Jedit posted:

Also to read the Fortean Times, which is to some degree Unnerving Articles And Stories Monthly. Their oldest regular feature, running for at least 30 years, is the Strange Deaths column, which also has its own thread on their forums that is well worth reading. The current OP is a Pennsylvania man who apparently committed suicide by cop; he called 911 saying he was having a heart attack, but when state troopers arrived along with the ambulance he attacked them with a chainsaw.

Something more on topic for this thread from page 1: A man who was released on an insanity plea after beating his disabled sister to death with a dumbbell goes on to kill his six year old brother.

That's hosed up, if he is crazy, how was 2 months remotely enough to assess him, let alone rehab him?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Looks like it was 4 months not 2. And, besides which, the conditions for release are adjusted state-by-state -- so they just required you to be at least as sane as your average Texan. Dumbbell murders and strangling children don't quite make the bell curve in that part of the world, you've got some stiff competition and only a few spots in the sanatorium

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Has something happened regarding Dyatlov Pass? It is coming up a lot in searches. I guess there has been some podcast or article that has mentioned it. Anyone know?

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
http://www.thomas-morris.uk/evacuated-with-a-spoon/

quote:

On Thursday, the 8th instant, I was sent for to visit John Leary, aged 35, living at Toames, three miles from hence, a steward in charge of a farm belonging to a gentleman of the name of Penrose. I found the man in bed, labouring under the most agonizing pains, which he referred to the anus, rectum, and loins. He was bathed in sweat; his countenance expressed the greatest anxiety, but he suffered no headache nor delirium.

On making an examination per anum, I found its verge considerably swollen and inflamed, with great contraction of the sphincters, and so tender and irritable, that it was with much difficulty that the patient would allow me to proceed with the examination. He said he had been ill during the last three days; that during the first and second days of his attack, he only felt occasional fits of pain in the anus and loins, but that for the last sixteen hours, or thereabouts, he was in extreme agony, with but occasional slight intermissions. He had not had an anal evacuation for the last four days, and from ten o’clock pm. on the previous evening had not passed any urine up to the time when I saw him, which was one o’clock pm on the following day.

He said to me, that being for some time previous to his illness superintending the thrashing out of a large quantity of Mr. Penrose’s wheat, he had, as was often his habit, eaten some of the grain as he proceeded, and to that he attributed his illness.

He went on the second day of his illness to the Macroom Dispensary, where he was ordered a dose of castor oil, but no effect followed its exhibition.

Having by mistake omitted to bring at catheter with me, I sent home for one, and in the meantime proceeded to examine the rectum internally. With considerable difficulty I introduced my little-finger, well oiled, into that cavity, and found it extremely distended. It was, in fact, completely blocked up with a hard mass of undigested wheat. The agony which the patient suffered from this exploration, forced me to desist for a short time, when I determined on attempting to extract some of the wheat from the bowel.

I accordingly procured a small eggspoon, and having well oiled the handle, introduced it into the rectum, and detached and brought away from the mass about two ounces of semi-masticated wheat. By this means I obtained a little more room, so that I was enabled to force into the rectum a few small pieces of mutton suet, which I allowed to remain until they had melted.

This had the effect of lubricating the part and softening the contents of the cavity; so that on a second attempt with the spoon-handle I succeeded in clearing out about ten ounces more of the wheat, the patient all this time complaining of almost intolerable suffering. Having desisted for a time in order to allow him some rest, he felt an urgent desire to go to stool, but the attempt was unsuccessful, owing to the tenderness and constriction of the anus. He was, however, able to urinate, and voided about two and a half pounds of fluid.

On making my next examination, I found that the attempts to evacuate the bowels had brought down more of the wheat into the rectum, which was again filled to distention, but the mass was not so hard as in the first instance; and on again operating, I succeeded in removing about twenty ounces more. The patient now expressed himself as much relieved. I had by this time in all brought away about two pounds of wheat.

As I found his pulse full, quick, and bounding, I bled him to ℥xxv, when he became faint.

I then had the rectum stuped for about an hour, and gave him a draught containing an ounce of Castor Oil, fifty drops of tincture of Henbane, and an ounce of Cinnamon water.

Half an hour afterwards an enema was administered, followed by a purgative draught. Six hours afterwards I found him free from pain, and in a sound sleep. His bowels had been much affected by the enema and medicines, and an immense quantity of wheat, with some white starchy stuff, had passed from his bowels. The anus continued tender for a few days, but by keeping the bowels soluble with small doses of the Magnesian salts, he perfectly recovered.

That's a lot of wheat.

Nckdictator has a new favorite as of 01:57 on Jan 23, 2017

turntabler
Sep 10, 2011

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Has something happened regarding Dyatlov Pass? It is coming up a lot in searches. I guess there has been some podcast or article that has mentioned it. Anyone know?

Maybe just do a google search and use the search tools to only bring up sites from the last week or month? Maybe you'll find something. I had a quick look but didn't see anything exciting.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Does the journal continue "and two weeks later the same dumbfuck ate two more pounds of raw wheat, and here I am again up his arse up to my elbow with an egg-spoon" ?

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Does the journal continue "and two weeks later the same dumbfuck ate two more pounds of raw wheat, and here I am again up his arse up to my elbow with an egg-spoon" ?

Oh he wasn't eating it

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
it was up there with an unnamed white substance -- dude clearly got rawed by the harvest god

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

So there's a bit of scary stuff about bad cladding in apartments in Melbourne, they're being ordered to remove the bad stuff which is incredibly flammable and the builders are crying that all it needs is moar sprinklers. Crossposting this quote from the auspol thread:

Gorilla Salad posted:

Let's just take a moment to remind ourselves what a cladding fire looks like and ponder how much a few extra sprinklers would do to help:

:stonk:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

nocal posted:

Oh he wasn't eating it

He probably was.

Raw wheat is unusual, but people still get impacted bowels from eating sunflower seeds whole.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

The article said it was partially chewed so yeah he was munching it and the munching a whole lot more. Unless he had anal dentata but I am sure that would have been noted by the doctor.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Holy poo poo

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...25.cms?from=mdr

quote:

LUDHIANA: A 16-year-old boy from Ludhiana has been detained for killing a nine-year-old boy, chopping his body into six pieces, eating the flesh and drinking the blood. Deepu Kumar had gone missing on Monday. His beheaded body was found the next day, dumped in a vacant plot in the city's Dugri area.

:stonk:

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

turntabler posted:

Maybe just do a google search and use the search tools to only bring up sites from the last week or month? Maybe you'll find something. I had a quick look but didn't see anything exciting.

Thanks. I had a look but couldn't see anything. Guess the topic much have come up on a forum somewhere and that sent people searching.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Kids are growing up so fast these days.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

Must be their diet.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

Not all of them. :(

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Here's a weird and unnerving one that happened right when I first moved to Austin back in 2005: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Jennifer_Cave

Jennifer Cave was a 21yr old from Corpus Christi who'd bounced around to a few schools working on her degree, had some issues with drugs, but was just getting her life back on track and landed a job as a legal assistant in Austin. Colton Pitonyak was a friend of hers with a strong academic record and scholarship to UT, who'd fallen apart after getting busted for cocaine and prescription drugs.

One night Jennifer and Colton went down to Sixth Street to go drinking to celebrate her new job, ended up back at his apartment, and for reasons that I think are still unclear, he shot her to death. He called up his ex-girlfriend Laura Hall, she came by to help out and as soon as the local hardware store opened they went and bought a hacksaw, garbage, bags, and other tools and started dismembering her in the bathtub. They later claimed that they did it with a plan to obscure her identity and ditch the body, but they ended up just giving up partway through and just left all the body parts there and fled to Mexico. Parents notice she's missing, cops find the body in the bathtub, the fugitive couple are arrested in Mexico five days later.

Colton ended up getting 55 years for murder, Hall went in and out of prison a couple times for procedural reasons, but ended up with ten years for evidence tampering and hindering an investigation.

There are two particularly unnerving things about this case:

- Even after two lengthy trials, nobody is quite clear *why* the murder happened. Jennifer and Colton were getting along fine, no money involved, but for whatever reason he shot her, and for whatever reason an ex-gf was totally fine showing up in the dead of night to help (vaguely attempt to) get rid of a body.

- Laura Hall's summary of her involvement, which I'm torn as to whether it's impressive bravado or just idiocy: when asked why she tried to help hide a murder victim and enable an escape to Mexico, she replied "that's just how I roll".

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

a fisherman who took a nap under his truck only to have the tide come in extra high so he first got crushed by the truck and then drowned.

What? I don't see how any of that is possible?

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Drunk Nerds posted:

I know, I can never nap under automobiles.

e: s/map/nap/

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Drunk Nerds posted:

I'm assuming here "nap" really means "passed the gently caress out."

Cat Potency
Aug 13, 2006

Chairman Meow

Drunk Nerds posted:

he had his big pickup truck parked right on the sand. tide came up, saturated the sand under the truck, and the weight of the truck pushed it down onto the "napping" (read: passed out) fisherman. hopefully he went in his sleep.

there's another episode of that show where a Finnish couple accidentally get trapped inside a sauna that the man built by himself in his own backyard. he died of heat exposure, his wife did not. her neighbor eventually heard her distressed cries and let her out, but man oh man.... how horrible it must be to be trapped in a tiny sauna with your dead spouse for ANY amount of time.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cat Potency posted:

he had his big pickup truck parked right on the sand. tide came up, saturated the sand under the truck, and the weight of the truck pushed it down onto the "napping" (read: passed out) fisherman. hopefully he went in his sleep.

there's another episode of that show where a Finnish couple accidentally get trapped inside a sauna that the man built by himself in his own backyard. he died of heat exposure, his wife did not. her neighbor eventually heard her distressed cries and let her out, but man oh man.... how horrible it must be to be trapped in a tiny sauna with your dead spouse for ANY amount of time.

See, and people look at me like I'm crazy when I bring an axe into the sauna.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Here's an interesting mystery--the yacht Joyita.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Joyita

quote:

About 5:00 AM on October 3, 1955, the Joyita left Samoa's Apia harbor bound for the Tokelau Islands, about 270 miles (430 km) away. The boat had been scheduled to leave on the noon tide the previous day but her departure was delayed because her port engine clutch failed. The Joyita eventually left Samoa on one engine. She was carrying sixteen crew members and nine passengers, including a government official, a doctor (Alfred "Andy" Denis Parsons, a World War II surgeon on his way to perform an amputation), a copra buyer, and two children. Her cargo consisted of medical supplies, timber, 80 empty 45 gallon (200 l) oil drums and various foodstuffs.[6]

The voyage was expected to take between 41 and 48 hours. She was scheduled to return with a cargo of copra. The Joyita was scheduled to arrive in the Tokelau Islands on October 5.

On October 6 a message from Fakaofo port reported that the ship was overdue. No ship or land-based operator reported receiving a distress signal from the crew. A search and rescue mission was launched and, from 6 to 12 October, Sunderlands of the Royal New Zealand Air Force covered a probability area of nearly 100,000 square miles (260,000 km²) of ocean during the search. But no sign of the Joyita nor any of her passengers or crew was found.

Five weeks later, on November 10, Gerald Douglas, captain of the merchant ship Tuvalu, en route from Suva to Funafuti, sighted the Joyita more than 600 miles (1,000 km) west from her scheduled route, drifting north of Vanua Levu.[7] The ship was partially submerged and listing heavily (her port deck rail was awash) and there was no trace of any of the passengers or crew; four tons of cargo were also missing. The recovery party noted that the radio was discovered tuned to 2182 kHz, the international marine radiotelephone distress channel.

Wreck seen from port side.
Barnacle growth high above the usual waterline on the port side showed that the Joyita had been listing heavily for some time.
There was some damage to the superstructure. Her flying bridge had been smashed away and the deckhouse had light damage and broken windows. A canvas awning had been rigged on top of the deckhouse behind the bridge.
The Joyita carried a dinghy and three Carley liferafts,[3] but all were missing. She did not carry enough lifejackets for everyone on board.[7]
The starboard engine was found to be covered by mattresses, while the port engine's clutch was still partially disassembled, showing that the vessel was still running on only one engine.
An auxiliary pump had been rigged in the engine room, mounted on a plank of wood slung between the main engines. However, it had not been connected.
The radio on board was tuned to the international distress channel, but when the equipment was inspected, a break was found in the cable between the set and the aerial. The cable had been painted over, obscuring the break. This would have limited the range of the radio to about 2 miles (3.2 km).
The electric clocks on board (wired into the vessel's generator) had stopped at 10:25 and the switches for the cabin lighting and navigation lights were on, implying that whatever had occurred happened at night. The ships' logbook, sextant, mechanical chronometer and other navigational equipment, as well as the firearms Miller kept in the boat,[7] were missing.
A doctor's bag was found on deck, containing a stethoscope, a scalpel, and four lengths of blood-stained bandages.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

As an American, I don't really care about being naked in front of people but if I was in a Scandinavian country in a sauna and someone came in with an axe I'd probably just shrug and consider myself murdered

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I too am an American. I think the Scandinavian's are usually just glad I'm not walking into the sauna with a Burger King value meal and a rifle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Solice Kirsk posted:

You should be able to assuage their concerns by telling them you're Finnish.