Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Stormgale posted:

It slightly ruined the emotional tone of this scene but all I could think of the final panel (with the eye effects) was: Multi-Psychopomp Drifting

i went immediately to jojo

awaken, my masters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Surprise! Psychopomps are actually assholes!

(Please pretend to be surprised, everyone.)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Well, I'm glad that that's settled.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
One of them is going to point to Kat and say, "Well, she's not bound by the Laws yet, so ask her to fix it then, ye feckin' eejit!"

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

And now Kat will do a Robo Jesus and turn Smitty into a tech priest. Praise the Omnissiah.

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

I mean, they're right. They don't owe her jack, that's not how the system works

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Daius posted:

That kind of makes them even worse though, because they were basically pushing her to risk her life and the lives of her friends because... Well, because they wanted her to. "Fix this for us, then gently caress off. We're busy doing things other than taking care of our own problems."

I mean, I'm not surprised that Sachiel there's being a jerk, but this is really disappointing from Muut.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
They've been jerks since the beginning. We've seen them literally fighting over the souls of children.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I mean, their refusal might seem cold but this is probably one of *the* big no-nos for a psycho pomp here.

If you stop someone from dying in the fullness of time then they don't pass into the ether and since dead people "ensure the world keeps spinning", you can see how doing it once would set a bad precedent.

Reminder that there was a Psychopomp who died at Jeanne's hand and they did nothing.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Three pages later, Annie is the only psychopomp left in the world.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I'm starting to get annoyed about the lack of teleporting.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I suppose this is going to be a lesson in how doing the right thing won't always end well for you.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Set them on fire Annie

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Seriously. You can't even argue that she's not thinking clearly, since "Get him to the hospital" is the gut reaction response.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I mean, they're not wrong.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

THE GRUMPIEST GOBLIN EVER

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I guess that's why Annie was in such a hurry to get the ghosts outta here, she probably thought they'd help her out for solving that problem.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Daius posted:

Agreed

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Stormgale posted:

I suppose this is going to be a lesson in how doing the right thing won't always end well for you.

i'm still not clear on why they involved zero adults, or even jones.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

A big flaming stink posted:

You are an adult. A group of plucky teens approches you with their janky plan to mess with an horrifically dangerous being.
You:
A) Help them.
B)loving try to prevent them from being murdered.

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left
Ehhh, the whole "we don't owe you anything" spiel would work better if Smitty hadn't been mortally wounded helping Annie do the psychopomp's job for them.

I mean, the entire reason this was necessary was because Jeanne would've murdered any psychopomp that got close. So Annie and her friends are the only ones with balls big enough to even try, they do it, one of them gets stabbed in the process, and the psychopomps go "nah, we won't save him because reasons, also lol thanks for doing our job for us."

The point is, gently caress you, Muut.

Arthur Crackpot fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jan 23, 2017

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

He's obviously not going to help, and there's no point in arguing about it. It's a Muut point.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Scholtz posted:

He's obviously not going to help, and there's no point in arguing about it. It's a Muut point.

Boooo!

A sound Smitty will soon make for he will be dead and possibly a ghost soon.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

A big flaming stink posted:

Any good parents who were told about this would have kicked up

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Arthur Crackpot posted:

Ehhh, the whole "we don't owe you anything" spiel would work better if Smitty hadn't been mortally wounded helping Annie do the psychopomp's job for them.

I mean, the entire reason this was necessary was because Jeanne would've murdered any psychopomp that got close. So Annie and her friends are the only ones with balls big enough to even try, they do it, one of them gets stabbed in the process, and the psychopomps go "nah, we won't save him because reasons, also lol thanks for doing our job for us."

The point is, gently caress you, Muut.

Well, their reasoning is probably that Annie being acting as a Psychopomp herself, she did her job and shouldn't expect any reward for it. That and probably not being allowed to interfer with actual deaths.

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left

Iceclaw posted:

Well, their reasoning is probably that Annie being acting as a Psychopomp herself, she did her job and shouldn't expect any reward for it. That and probably not being allowed to interfer with actual deaths.

But by that same reasoning, isn't anyone helping Annie acting as a Psychopomp as well? This was a group effort, after all. Annie couldn't have done it on her own. So either there's a rule that states Psychopomps aren't allowed to help their own, or they're just being assholes.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
In short, hopefully this results in Annie killing a lot more psychopomps than Jeanne ever could. Burn them all, Annie.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Arthur Crackpot posted:

But by that same reasoning, isn't anyone helping Annie acting as a Psychopomp as well? This was a group effort, after all. Annie couldn't have done it on her own. So either there's a rule that states Psychopomps aren't allowed to help their own, or they're just being assholes.

Psychopomp is obviously something of a status, judging by Annie being "marked" as a Psychopomp when she went to the RotD. The whole guiding into the ether aspect (which is the key aspect, from the psychopomp point of view) is done by Annie, who is the only one we've ever been told is a psychopomp.

Of course, this does create an interesting paradox of why Annie doesn't get railed on "interfering with the living" considering her Psychopomp status, but who knows, maybe being a alive, "human" Psychopomps is one of those neat loopholes.

e: Also, its unclear from Parley's glance but I'm really hoping none of them can see Muut & Co so to everyone else it just looks like Annie is shouting at empty air while her friend bleeds out.

Arianya fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jan 23, 2017

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
Personally I'm hoping that they're refusing to help because they're, you know, psychopomps. They know when it's someone's time to die and Smitty isn't due to die now. So they're fine making a big show of being impartial jerks and refusing to help because they don't actually need to do anything anyway.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
And now, powered by this reminder of why she hates the psychopomps, Annie uses her flames to jetpack everyone up to the court.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
There actually aren't any rules against Psychopomps helping; Muut is just really pissed about that one time Kat punched him and this is how he's getting revenge.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

None of them will remember Parley can teleport until it's too late.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
*points at Kat* "Honestly we just don't want to get any closer to that thing"

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah
Do you want barbequed 'pomps? because this is how you get barbequed 'pomps.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

EmmyOk posted:

Any good parents who were told about this

Ah, then it would have been fine to ask Annie's dad.

Muut will probably change his mind once he sees Kat's True Form™ and decides he doesn't want to get punched by that.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

amishjosh posted:

Do you want barbequed 'pomps? because this is how you get barbequed 'pomps.

About to go Pompeii in here

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

LashLightning posted:

Ah, then it would have been fine to ask Annie's dad.

Muut will probably change his mind once he sees Kat's True Form™ and decides he doesn't want to get punched by that.

Maybe he already did. We didn't see that scene from Muut's point of view. Maybe back then, he barely survived that unprovoked assault. Ever since then he has a deep grudge and he was actually hoping that Annie and Kat would die trying to release Jeanne.

"Oh by the way Antimony, now that you guys are done here, over there in Finnland there is an army of frost giants who are in a really similar situation. I bet you want to help them out too. No need to plan anything. Just be confident in yourselves."

Would be a weird twist.

Now that I think about it, we always assumed that Jeannes job was to keep forest dwellers out. What if her true purpose was to get rid of all the upcomming Psychopomps. Maybe they want to steal the souls of the forest expats, which are stored in totems nearby.
The dead one did say that he wanted to claim his stuff.
Come to think of it, who exactly did all the final recordings for Jeannes clients? How deep does this go?

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 23, 2017

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!
I don't think the psychopomps necessarily see Kat's angel form. She only appears that way when entering the ether. Do etheric beings see the physical world as physical, or do they see the etheric version of things too? If you are in the ether, do you get to see etheric projects of people not currently in the ether? Even when they entered the RotD, Kat and Annie entered as physical beings and not as etheric beings. I think Kat's angel form has been completely hidden from other characters until now, except Zimmy, but that is a special case since her perceptions/powers blend the real and etheric. I'd be interested in seeing any counter examples to this theory.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
What if Smitty dies, Annie claims his spirit ... then she refuses to take him into the ether? Maybe that would clog up the psychopomps somehow and give her leverage.

Or end the world. Either or.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!
Lol at this page: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1320