Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's also a bit of dunning-kruger in it. Or they see IT as hostile towards letting them "get work done."

Basically they see a need, and think they can implement it on their own. So they do and when the project gets boring or goes tits up, they dump it on IT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The amount of projects I get dragged into where it's pretty clear what the end result needs to be but the path to get there is littered with complete fuckups at every stage is impressive. People sort of jump three steps into a process based on what a client thinks their solution should look like.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

MF_James posted:

I constantly have to ask co-workers and clients what they are ACTUALLY trying to solve, because they will obfuscate their issue with some complex shenanigans rather than telling me what the problem is so that I can tell them how to solve it or give them their options with pros/cons.

I'm dealing with this actually right now. A client emailed saying they had an application issue, where it won't start. I get on the server and see that yesterday they had a critical storage issue where the database unmounted itself for a while and everything fell apart. So instead of telling me this upfront, and that they attempted to rollback the database and probably broke it more, they just tell me two days later it's not starting and give me no context. I ask for more context, and they mail me ten lines c&p from a log, and no information. After an hour of me trying to figure out why the database looks like it was corrupted days ago, but the system worked for a couple days with seemingly no database, they tell me "oh yeah, we did have MASSIVE NETWORK FAILURE last week and the database was corrupted days ago.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Bob Morales posted:

Nothing like going to a remote location and some techie guy there setup his own NAS for backups, their own printer, etc.
I just wish people wouldn't fire up loving dropbox accounts to stuff company data on, not that anyone except myself actually cares about security though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Super Slash posted:

I just wish people wouldn't fire up loving dropbox accounts to stuff company data on, not that anyone except myself actually cares about security though.

Someone here put a ticket in to have their personal dropbox added to their work PC. Nope.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

I felt like ranting, so I'm replying/cross-posting this from the Working in IT thread:

SEKCobra posted:

Does this mean there will be multiple applicants in the same interview? :O

flosofl posted:

If it's this, I have no idea. It seems weird and wrong to do it that way.

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm pretty sure I would walk out on an interview with multiple interviewees. That's just disrespectful.

The Fool posted:

The only times I've ever seen group interviews where group meant more than one applicant were for no-skill positions where they needed bodies with a pulse that could pass a drug test.

The interview for my current job was done in this fashion, but because I didn't know any better at the time, I simply thought it wasn't an uncommon way of hiring employees.

For reference, I am a "Help Desk Technician Level I" at an MSP. I was offered the position an "internship" because I didn't have any prior official IT experience, but my roommate worked there and vouched for me. In reality, I only accepted the offer because I quit my terrible fast-food job on the spot two months before, and my savings were running out. With the exception of graduating from being an "intern," I haven't had a title change in almost two years, or about how long I've been with the company. My salary is still far too low for where I live and the scope of work I'm expected to do (which includes very "help desk" duties such as full server deployments, email service migrations for entire staff rolls, and standardizing onboarding/offboarding procedures for multiple clients with completely different needs). Two particular projects were dumped on my lap when a manager moved on with his career, and both of them have been a shitshow ever since due to some really poor decisions that were made without my involvement (and client-side sunk-cost fallacy means I have a snowball's chance in hell of starting over at this point).

Our boss, the owner of the company, recently became a parent; having to tend to a baby and run not one, but two businesses, means that he's around about 25% of the time... except for right now, because he's on vacation in Mexico. This is after visiting family for a week in New England in November and spending a long time in (actual) England for a wedding last month, by the way.

There's more I'd like to get off my chest, but ironically, I need to leave the office for my therapist appointment.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

MiniFoo posted:

I felt like ranting, so I'm replying/cross-posting this from the Working in IT thread:

The interview for my current job was done in this fashion, but because I didn't know any better at the time, I simply thought it wasn't an uncommon way of hiring employees.

For reference, I am a "Help Desk Technician Level I" at an MSP. I was offered the position an "internship" because I didn't have any prior official IT experience, but my roommate worked there and vouched for me. In reality, I only accepted the offer because I quit my terrible fast-food job on the spot two months before, and my savings were running out. With the exception of graduating from being an "intern," I haven't had a title change in almost two years, or about how long I've been with the company. My salary is still far too low for where I live and the scope of work I'm expected to do (which includes very "help desk" duties such as full server deployments, email service migrations for entire staff rolls, and standardizing onboarding/offboarding procedures for multiple clients with completely different needs). Two particular projects were dumped on my lap when a manager moved on with his career, and both of them have been a shitshow ever since due to some really poor decisions that were made without my involvement (and client-side sunk-cost fallacy means I have a snowball's chance in hell of starting over at this point).

Our boss, the owner of the company, recently became a parent; having to tend to a baby and run not one, but two businesses, means that he's around about 25% of the time... except for right now, because he's on vacation in Mexico. This is after visiting family for a week in New England in November and spending a long time in (actual) England for a wedding last month, by the way.

There's more I'd like to get off my chest, but ironically, I need to leave the office for my therapist appointment.

Sounds like you have enough time and experience to move on. Do so.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Seriously. You've done your time, now you should move out to move up.

You started at the bottom of the totem pole, so a group interview isn't unsurprising. At that level, they're looking for someone who can accurately tie their shoes at least 75% of the time, and not curse at the customers too often.

Now that you're not just looking up at the grass, get out there and find something that doesn't suck. Or at least sucks less. Or at least sucks in a new and exciting way.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Now .. find something that .. sucks in a new and exciting way.

IT career progression in a nutshell.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

MiniFoo posted:

:yotj:!
:yotj:!!!!!
:yotj::yotj::yotj::yotj:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Woogles
Mar 23, 2007

hello
Someone hosed up project estimations big time. The deadline for this is 6th Feb. And so...

Today, on Google Apps:

5.30am my time,

CEO: "Hey Woogles, ping me when you get in"

8.30am

Me: "What's up?"
CEO: "Can experimental, in-house PaaS deploy and run host product v8?"
Me: "I haven't transitioned to that team yet but I reckon so. Ask the actual team, I haven't been fully briefed."
CEO: "Does it only run in GCE?"
Me: "See previous answer."
CEO: "Ok, thanks."

...time passes...

AN EMAIL CHAIN CAME IN:

PM: "we only allocated 10-11 hours of infrastructure setup time on this project but turns out we need more like 80-90. Wat do?"
CEO: "Can we use our PaaS?"
Dev: "Nope."

*much discussion ensues*

PM: "What if we take a personal plan out on a PaaS provider and temporarily use that while we build this up, then move it over once the real backend is ready?"
Dev: "I.. guess that'll work?"
CEO: "Do it." :black101:

Sidechat:

Me: How the chuff did we get that estimate so badly wrong anyway?!
Dev: no idea myself
Dev: I reckon is majorly over egged more than likely driven by client asking for complex stuff when they actually need a simple sink and tap

I love my job.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
An 8x difference in estimation isn't good, but it's common.

Woogles
Mar 23, 2007

hello

Gounads posted:

True, but I still find it hilarious.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Always give Scotty Estimates. Always.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Gounads posted:

I've said this before, but in one of my old jobs it got so bad that the CEO required a tech to sign off on an offer before sales could present it to clients.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

It also could be client changing requirements, that is extremely often a problem and makes things balloon out of control. Our PMs and owner have started taking a stance against additional/changing requirements once the project has started unless they have a re-evaluation meeting for the new reqs and respec/rescope the project.

Woogles
Mar 23, 2007

hello
Good points, but in this case it was someone misreading the client's requirements at the start and talking crap. You know, like sales droids usually do.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

MF_James posted:

It also could be client changing requirements, that is extremely often a problem and makes things balloon out of control. Our PMs and owner have started taking a stance against additional/changing requirements once the project has started unless they have a re-evaluation meeting for the new reqs and respec/rescope the project.

I miss my technical manager from my first job. We did a lot of third party/whitelabel work and he was always very adamant about preventing scope creep & getting deadlines shifted if stuff changed. In the two years I worked there I never had to do crunch time for that project.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Woogles posted:

Good points, but in this case it was someone misreading the client's requirements at the start and talking crap. You know, like sales droids usually do.

That's why we have an architecture review with the SMEs before the Statement of Work is signed and settled.

Or as we like to call it: The Hour of Denial.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

flosofl posted:

That's why we have an architecture review with the SMEs before the Statement of Work is signed and settled.

Or as we like to call it: The Hour of Denial.

Yeah, our architect reviews everything prior to SoW gets signed.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Just found out that the Dynamics NAV we use has a hard-coded limit of 20 characters for a contract number, which when you consider the fact that this whole loving installation was geared for this corporation, is asinine.

Why is this? That field must contain, per policy, the contract number, the salesperson's initials, and the customer name, i.e. 1234-FU-DUMBASS. So there's a minimum overhead of 7 characters. MINIMUM. And one of my customers has a last name that's 14 letters long. It's not like I can't abbreviate or something, but a hard-coded limit of (essentially) 13 characters at MAX is ridiculous.

Better hope none of your customers have a not-easily-abbreviated company name! :suicide:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I just spent most of today scouring servers looking for critical outlook pst file for CFO. I want people to play guess at home.

Issue: CFO needs 5 year old email newest archive ends in 2012 that's strange I know I got you a new computer last year and made drat sure all the pst files were remapped and that they were on the server backed up as well as on your computer locally for speed.

I get a hint about an hour ago she also can't find something from January 15th 2016 so I must have helped her archive it then this is all my fault not the last guy

Oh actual issue clicks loving outlook only downloads the last year by default, loving cache I should have started with that but 5 years and missing achieve seemed very plausible,

bonus we did actually have a missing one, it was mapping to a flash drive, that is in a bank safe that I told her I want backed up if it's that important, I should have it next week to see if it still works, hasn't been plugged in in 4 years

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

D34THROW posted:

Just found out that the Dynamics NAV we use has a hard-coded limit of 20 characters for a contract number, which when you consider the fact that this whole loving installation was geared for this corporation, is asinine.

Why is this? That field must contain, per policy, the contract number, the salesperson's initials, and the customer name, i.e. 1234-FU-DUMBASS. So there's a minimum overhead of 7 characters. MINIMUM. And one of my customers has a last name that's 14 letters long. It's not like I can't abbreviate or something, but a hard-coded limit of (essentially) 13 characters at MAX is ridiculous.

Better hope none of your customers have a not-easily-abbreviated company name! :suicide:

That sounds like your company doing things oddly and then expecting software to just work. Most things are setup with 1-3 character prefix and numbers IE SI000980438 for sales invoice 980,438, you run out? you switch to SIA or anything else you want. I mean it doesn't help you but if I remember correctly you are still in classic mode which was originally a 16bit application released in 1987. Most of these headaches are fixed by switching over to an SQL version, which 2009 R2 does support SQL but migrating from classic -> SQL is a big enough pain that you might as well just upgrade to 2016 (is there a 2017 version of Nav?)

Just remind yourself that the limitations are there because it was coded for a computer from the 80s, and has been built upon since which means any limitations are there as well. I've heard very nice things about new versions.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

D34THROW posted:

We have similar issues but it comes down to people trying to store a bunch of different data in 1 field. Separate it out. Usually dates, customer numbers, etc.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
It's NAV 2013 with multiple hundreds of thousands worth of custom plugins to make it work for our field...which it doesn't very well. If I could separate, I would, but the overlords would smack me around.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

MiniFoo posted:

Eject

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I hate java, we have only 2 people that need java. One hates everything and a constant complainer. I made a note about Tuesday and was going to push Java out this weekend. Of course I get a call "I can't do the bank! Java isn't updated!" Okay I'll push the update out for you do something else for 15 minutes. Now she's complaining that the bank site stopped working because she figured a way around it using the old version.

Well PDQ just updated java so log back into the website?

I would have pushed it out on Tuesday but if you update too soon the bank website doesn't work either, first weekend of it being available is usually a safe bet. The bank also has other terrible things I don't like, and I have expressed my concerns (such as password restrictions being crazy specific, and not in a good way like you need a special character but only ! # count and a really narrow length range).

There is another annoying piece of software they use to verify you don't have a virus are running AV and who knows what else, but it also restricts browser versions only supports firefox and chrome, but will often not be tested against the newest update so you have to lag to a 2 month old version until someone complains the bank isn't working and figure out what versions they support and pus that one out to the group.

Okay I actually hate this bank and their instence of only supporting 1 version of java at a time and 1 version of a browser. 1 version grace period for a week or two would be nice, and support newer for browsers goddamn it. Like right now it only supports chrome 52-54.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

pixaal posted:

I hate java, we have only 2 people that need java. One hates everything and a constant complainer. I made a note about Tuesday and was going to push Java out this weekend. Of course I get a call "I can't do the bank! Java isn't updated!" Okay I'll push the update out for you do something else for 15 minutes. Now she's complaining that the bank site stopped working because she figured a way around it using the old version.

Well PDQ just updated java so log back into the website?

I would have pushed it out on Tuesday but if you update too soon the bank website doesn't work either, first weekend of it being available is usually a safe bet. The bank also has other terrible things I don't like, and I have expressed my concerns (such as password restrictions being crazy specific, and not in a good way like you need a special character but only ! # count and a really narrow length range).

There is another annoying piece of software they use to verify you don't have a virus are running AV and who knows what else, but it also restricts browser versions only supports firefox and chrome, but will often not be tested against the newest update so you have to lag to a 2 month old version until someone complains the bank isn't working and figure out what versions they support and pus that one out to the group.

Okay I actually hate this bank and their instence of only supporting 1 version of java at a time and 1 version of a browser. 1 version grace period for a week or two would be nice, and support newer for browsers goddamn it. Like right now it only supports chrome 52-54.

Why do you not have some kind of dedicated "Do The Bank" computer / VM that only allows network connections to said bank and always has updates disabled?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Volmarias posted:

Why do you not have some kind of dedicated "Do The Bank" computer / VM that only allows network connections to said bank and always has updates disabled?

Added expense for single user. Their computer is the do the bank computer. They get updates separate, but they need to have them in a set range. Which results in this, unless you are saying give them admin on this bank only computer, which is not something I want to do. It's more just the way the user always yells about everything. gently caress being abused, person does 2 jobs and is also HR, so I can't even complain to someone about hostile work environment.

It's once a quarter, I plan on looking in the Summer after I finish up some projects I want on my resume anyway.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

devmd01 posted:

Always give Scotty Estimates. Always.

Scotty Estimates? I go with the formula I learned working in civil service: double the number and increase the unit by one.

1 hour becomes two days, six months becomes twelve years, etc.

You laugh but...

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Agrikk posted:

Scotty Estimates?

Star Trek

Take original estimate, multiply by 4

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Fool posted:

Star Trek

Take original estimate, multiply by 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xRqXYsksFg

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Thank you for sharing your opinion on feminism, female doctors, and suicide, boss. I, too, think that my mom should be assaulted because she went to medical school and later decided to start a family. I'm glad I'm the only one around at this hour so there's no one else to talk to but me.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

CEO replaces her travel laptop with one she bought herself at Costco. Brings it in for IT to 'work on' 2 days before she leaves for the biggest sales conference for our industry.

Takes her special clicker thingy to control the presentation, she gives it back to our COO and says "it doesn't work, I even tried new batteries"

He brings it back to us, "xxx said this doesn't work, why didn't you guys test it before she left...she's pissed."

I showed him within a minute that it did work. Maybe she didn't turn the power button on? Maybe she could have called us to troubleshoot?

These are the people who will not hesitate to call you on Christmas eve because their new Kindle can't get on the wifi at their house, but they won't call you for something work related. So now she's going to stop at Staples in whatever city she's in, buy some new presentation remote thing, call us for help with it...

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Bob Morales posted:

CEO replaces her travel laptop with one she bought herself at Costco. Brings it in for IT to 'work on' 2 days before she leaves for the biggest sales conference for our industry.

Takes her special clicker thingy to control the presentation, she gives it back to our COO and says "it doesn't work, I even tried new batteries"

He brings it back to us, "xxx said this doesn't work, why didn't you guys test it before she left...she's pissed."

I showed him within a minute that it did work. Maybe she didn't turn the power button on? Maybe she could have called us to troubleshoot?

These are the people who will not hesitate to call you on Christmas eve because their new Kindle can't get on the wifi at their house, but they won't call you for something work related. So now she's going to stop at Staples in whatever city she's in, buy some new presentation remote thing, call us for help with it...

My company did one of their largest demos for a new vertical last Friday. Thursday morning they tested everything, it all worked. Thursday night, the AWS operations team made a firewall change that broken access to the server for the demo. Friday morning, the sales team called me and asked for help. Because we have a real help desk with ticketing and a functioning support system I was able to call that team's onsite person, get the issue fixed and resolved in plenty of time for the demo. It was a critical issue resolved quickly and efficiently. After the demo, the CFO and marketing director emailed us all thanking us for the work and for making sure the went well.

Thank you for listening to my story. I really like my job.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Jerk McJerkface posted:

My company did one of their largest demos for a new vertical last Friday. Thursday morning they tested everything, it all worked. Thursday night, the AWS operations team made a firewall change that broken access to the server for the demo. Friday morning, the sales team called me and asked for help. Because we have a real help desk with ticketing and a functioning support system I was able to call that team's onsite person, get the issue fixed and resolved in plenty of time for the demo. It was a critical issue resolved quickly and efficiently. After the demo, the CFO and marketing director emailed us all thanking us for the work and for making sure the went well.

And then you woke up.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Bob Morales posted:

Last week a senior on the service delivery team came to me regarding a heavily damaged iPhone asking if we had a spare she should use temporarily, I say we have a few old busted up ones that could be usable for time being.

So she brings along her phone, it's a bent up iPhone 6S that was slammed in a barn door or something. I mention all I'll be doing is adding her exchange account to the temp phone for all E-mails and contacts will get copied across, to which she says "Oh no no, this is my personal phone"... wait what.

Her manager and another ok'd it so whatever, I did say I won't be adding anything to it and not to add any iCloud accounts to it since someone did that once and locked the phone out and couldn't remember the password.

Maybe I should just lay claim the box of old hard disks and some Ethernet switches we have lying around... free poo poo for everyone!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

So we're switching over from AS/400 software from the 80's to "The #1 Cloud ERP". We've done 6 of the 7 companies we have, and we ran into an accounting feature that doesn't come with the base package. So we had our integrator get us a quote on the ADVANCED PROCUREMENT package, and it's like 2% of the total system cost per year.

CFO: They want to charge us extra? Baloney!
Me: Well we never used it and you guys never mentioned this feature before
CFO: It should come with it! I can't believe it doesn't! All accounting software does
Me: Except it's extra with this one and this one and this other one
CFO: I don't want to pay for it!
Me: Do you want to spend $4k or not? We can debate all day if they should have it as a free feature but it's not
CFO: I don't know! Find out if we really need it or not!
Me: Purchasing wants it...you want to buy or not?
CFO: Let me drag my feet for a month and get back to you

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Boss: I don't want you to get burnt out! You don't need to do everything!
Me: Cool, get me 4 more engineers.
Boss: We can't afford that right now.
Me: Cool, then I am moving the project deadline back 3 months.
Boss: No, it needs to be on time.

Thanks for the pep talk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ratbert90 posted:

Boss: I don't want you to get burnt out! You don't need to do everything!
Me: Cool, get me 4 more engineers.
Boss: We can't afford that right now.
Me: Cool, then I am moving the project deadline back 3 months.
Boss: No, it needs to be on time.

Thanks for the pep talk!

At $AWFUL_JOB my best friend and fellow engineer was going through an awful divorce, like his wife was trying to take everything (including the house my friend grew up in and bought from his parents before they were even married, and was just being awful).

The owner of the company who was his out of work real good friend, told him to best way to deal with this was to just work constantly, don't go home, work weekends, nights, just stay at work and bury himself in it.

The guy was basically :psyduck: and told him he was crazy.