Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I just had a kiln installed for my wife and when I looked into the permitting process my city told me that you need to pull a permit + get an inspection for any new circuits or drops, however anything with an existing circuit (e.g. replacing a ceiling light in an existing fixture) didn't require anything.

I would imagine most insurance companies would agree with this reasoning, though as was said, I'd expect them to drop you if something happened regardless.

For what its worth my insurance company would not OK me wiring the kiln circuit myself, even with proper permits and inspections, but they were fine covering the kiln install itself as long as a licensed electrician ran the drop. It sucked because my original quote was $1500 and I had to trade some favors to get the job done for ~$500. If I'd done it myself it would have been about half that. I do find it amusing that the company that didn't like my ivy is fine with me having an 11 killowatt kiln in my basement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

revmoo posted:

I just had a kiln installed for my wife and when I looked into the permitting process my city told me that you need to pull a permit + get an inspection for any new circuits or drops, however anything with an existing circuit (e.g. replacing a ceiling light in an existing fixture) didn't require anything.

For what its worth my insurance company would not OK me wiring the kiln circuit myself, even with proper permits and inspections, but they were fine covering the kiln install itself as long as a licensed electrician ran the drop.

If your local authority is OK with you installing the electrical yourself what reason is the insurance company giving for balking at you doing the work? I would be more worried about the kiln itself not being properly installed.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

revmoo posted:

I would imagine most insurance companies would agree with this reasoning, though as was said, I'd expect them to drop you if something happened regardless.

For what its worth my insurance company would not OK me wiring the kiln circuit myself, even with proper permits and inspections, but they were fine covering the kiln install itself as long as a licensed electrician ran the drop. It sucked because my original quote was $1500 and I had to trade some favors to get the job done for ~$500. If I'd done it myself it would have been about half that. I do find it amusing that the company that didn't like my ivy is fine with me having an 11 killowatt kiln in my basement.

Because Ivy can eventually cause structure problems and such. A kiln, professionally installed, is ostensibly as dangerous as any other stove.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

revmoo posted:

Part of the reason they wanted the electrician doing the install is because they can potentially subrogate claims against them. Whereas if you do it, they've got nothing.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Dango Bango posted:

Part of the reason they wanted the electrician doing the install is because they can potentially subrogate claims against them. Whereas if you do it, they've got nothing.

Ah! Thank you.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Dango Bango posted:

Yeah I kind of figured that was the case.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Got rear ended. Nobody hurt. Got the other party's insurance info, took pictures, and filed a claim with my own insurance company. Will send my insurance company pictures tomorrow for their adjuster purposes.

This is not a no-fault state and I do not have collision. I will have to collect from their insurance company so do I contact them directly or does my insurance deal with that?

Can I take my car to the body shop tomorrow? Or do I have to send my insurance company pictures and wait for their decision first?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
You will need to contact the other insurance. It's your property so without collision coverage they don't have a legal right to present a claim on your behalf. Still send your insurance all your photos.

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Don't go to a body shop or get an estimate before talking to the other insurance company. You will need to file a property damage claim through them. Depending on the company they will ask you to go to a location to get an estimate or send someone to you. As long as the other person has coverage this should be an easy one.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

prezbuluskey posted:

Don't go to a body shop or get an estimate before talking to the other insurance company. You will need to file a property damage claim through them. Depending on the company they will ask you to go to a location to get an estimate or send someone to you. As long as the other person has coverage this should be an easy one.

This! If they don't and its a no fault state, grats on your own insurance paying for your loss :(

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

No fault doesn't apply to property damage. If you don't have collision and they don't have coverage you're SOL.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
I called their insurance company and the other party had already filed a claim. Their adjuster is going to contact me today regarding details of the inspection.

Unless there's something egregious, do I just take whatever they offer me? It's not even my company so the really have no incentive to pay out. What if they deny liability or try to lowball me? If I was an insurance company I'd do this all the time and assume that most people won't take the time to sue. Is this something that I have to worry about/watch out for?

Also, what if I can't find a body shop to fix my car for the rewarded amount? I can't just take my car to the shop and have them bill the company directly can I? (Like medical insurance)

This is a huge hassle. That jackass.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

They'll work with your shop. Unless you choose a shop that is a notorious pain in the rear end they'll agree the price with the shop so you don't have to worry about not getting paid enough. Usually it'll just go to the shop directly.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

potatoducks posted:

I called their insurance company and the other party had already filed a claim. Their adjuster is going to contact me today regarding details of the inspection.

Unless there's something egregious, do I just take whatever they offer me? It's not even my company so the really have no incentive to pay out. What if they deny liability or try to lowball me? If I was an insurance company I'd do this all the time and assume that most people won't take the time to sue. Is this something that I have to worry about/watch out for?

Also, what if I can't find a body shop to fix my car for the rewarded amount? I can't just take my car to the shop and have them bill the company directly can I? (Like medical insurance)

Easy, you don't accept it. It is a huge hassle, but here is how to minimize it. Is the other parties insurance a major carrier? Make an appointment at one of their "In network" shops and sign the paper that says "allow disassembly", then ask someone to drive you to pickup your insurance arranged and paid for rental. Make sure it is the same class vehicle you drive (economy, mid-size, full size, truck, etc). If your car isn't safe to drive or undrivable, get your rental right now, ask them to pick you up.

Otherwise be prepared to take a day off work to drive this sucker to three different body shops to get quotes, they will all tell you they can only quote what they can see so you better pray they aren't shady. See if *your* insurance has a network of shops, even if you can't use it. Use that as your list. If you lose income as a result of it, document it and give it to the other carrier. (Is PTO income in your state?)

If you want to further minimize it in the future take out comp & collision + rental coverage. The other carrier in my accident ~9 months ago was shady as hell and simply didn't believe in answering the phone, lying about attempts to contact me, etc. I opened a claim on my collision coverage with state farm and had my car back by the end of the week. I received my deductible back earlier this week from subrogation. I still don't have my car rental & baby seat replacement reimbursed largely because I forgot to give them to state farm.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 20, 2017

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Got a hypothetical car insure question: let's say you have an AWD vehicle that ends up getting towed (could be illegal parking, breakdown, etc.) When you get the car back it's clearly been damaged by the towing company, probably by not using a flatbed. (Or hell, any damage to a car caused by towing.)

Who would you contact first about this? Your insurance company, the towing company, or both?

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 23, 2017

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Both. See if the tow company is willing to own up but if not could be handled as Comp or Collision depending on your carrier then they will try to go after the tow company. Also check to see if they are an approved vendor for your municipality; some places you can make a complaint which they have to address or risk being taken off the list.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Dang. I dunno man. Id probably contact the towing first so no claims are open on your end

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Here's what every tow company will say:

"We didn't damage your car."

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Three-Phase posted:

Got a hypothetical car insure question: let's say you have an AWD vehicle that ends up getting towed (could be illegal parking, breakdown, etc.) When you get the car back it's clearly been damaged by the towing company, probably by not using a flatbed. (Or hell, any damage to a car caused by towing.)

Who would you contact first about this? Your insurance company, the towing company, or both?

Why did you get towed?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

therobit posted:

Why did you get towed?

Parking across two handicapped spots and part of a tree lawn. Didn't even get the drat AirPods.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

What tow companies do when someone claims they damaged their car, choose your favorite option.

-Fail to produce a check in sheet showing any damage on the car already, tell you to prove they damaged it and that the damage wasn't on the car when they got it.
-Produce a check in sheet showing damage was on the car already. This is done either after they damage it towing it or right before you pick it up to encompass everything they may have damaged.
-Claim the damage was unavoidable to remove the car. Sometimes they aren't wrong.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

potatoducks posted:

Update to the story. I took my car to the body shop of my choosing. Their insurance company has accepted 100% liability and are paying for repairs and rental. They are sending their adjuster to the body shop tomorrow to look it over and then I assume I will authorize them to get my car fixed. The guy at the body shop today estimated 2 weeks and 8-9k. Even after I get fixed up, that's going to significantly decrease the value of my car when I go sell it right? Do I get reimbursed for that in any way? Or is it typically just "tough luck".

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Tough luck on any depriciation in most cases

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

potatoducks posted:

Update to the story. I took my car to the body shop of my choosing. Their insurance company has accepted 100% liability and are paying for repairs and rental. They are sending their adjuster to the body shop tomorrow to look it over and then I assume I will authorize them to get my car fixed. The guy at the body shop today estimated 2 weeks and 8-9k. Even after I get fixed up, that's going to significantly decrease the value of my car when I go sell it right? Do I get reimbursed for that in any way? Or is it typically just "tough luck".

Assuming you don't live in Georgia the burden of proof for diminished value is on you as the vehicle owner. How you do that is up to you, but good luck. Glad to hear everything else worked out.

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Ive mentioned it before I think, but when I worked at a big 3 retail auto insurance company our goal was to deny 100% of diminished value claims, and we succeed every year.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
So, where should we start looking for life insurance on a 61 year old smoker with a mess of (mostly minor, ie bad back, hypothyroidism etc) health problems? We have a 7 month old, he's a stay at home dad due to his back, and my work doesn't offer life insurance for spouses of the employee.

Auto/renters is through progressive, but when I was calling to try and change my auto policy (and finding out its actually cheaper to just keep a car that is in the scrap heap on the policy than change to a policy where there's no car on it) I got told they don't do life...

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

AA is for Quitters posted:

So, where should we start looking for life insurance on a 61 year old smoker with a mess of (mostly minor, ie bad back, hypothyroidism etc) health problems? We have a 7 month old, he's a stay at home dad due to his back, and my work doesn't offer life insurance for spouses of the employee.

Auto/renters is through progressive, but when I was calling to try and change my auto policy (and finding out its actually cheaper to just keep a car that is in the scrap heap on the policy than change to a policy where there's no car on it) I got told they don't do life...

Hey may have to g to a specialty carrier that has smaller policies they can write without extensive background checks and the like. Stuff like hypothyroidism isn't really a huge deal breaker though, you can probably get it at a major carrier if that is the worst of it.
Metlife, Prudential, etc.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
What's the best way to look for supplemental Medicare insurance? My parents are both going on Medicare in about 11 months, eligible for USAA if they're considered good. My mom mentioned that people seem to like AARP, but I'm not sure if that's because they're good, or because they're known.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Med supps tend to be extremely similar with the main difference being price. Find a company yiu trust for a price on the budget and go. Dont super overthink it

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Health insurance question: I just left a new job less than a month ago, started a new one, and just got on their insurance on the first. Due to a misunderstanding in which formulary the plan used, I now have 1600/mo in prescriptions that aren't covered. Do those changes within the last month still count as qualifying life events to get on a marketplace plan? I'm also going to try to get in touch with an advisor from the state's marketplace for a more thoroughly informed opinion.

If not I basically have to find a new job.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Health insurance question: I just left a new job less than a month ago, started a new one, and just got on their insurance on the first. Due to a misunderstanding in which formulary the plan used, I now have 1600/mo in prescriptions that aren't covered. Do those changes within the last month still count as qualifying life events to get on a marketplace plan? I'm also going to try to get in touch with an advisor from the state's marketplace for a more thoroughly informed opinion.

If not I basically have to find a new job.

Do you have it in exact writing that your prescription would be covered? ("I need drug X." "You are on Formulary Y which includes Drug X at $Z/month.") If so try to get them to honor that while you deal with the other stuff. You relied on this information to make a decision.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

No, all I did was ask for the formulary. It was my fault for not making him be more specific than linking a page with a dozen formularies.

On the other hand, it's also partly his fault for thinking that linking a page full of a dozen formularies and not specifying was good enough.

The lady with my company (they contract to a benefits provider) is going to call Anthem and see if anything can be done. She does seem to think it's possible to drop the coverage if it's necessary, though.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Call a state navigator and they should help withthe marketplace eligibility.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
I have 3 vehicles (one is a business vehicle with a business policy) and 2 homeowners policies. Currently with state farm, but I'm wanting to shop around a bit. My main worry is right now, my credit is kind of lovely due to high balances. Should I expect to get killed on rates? No tickets, no accidents in the last 7+ years.

Edit: Oh, Jastiger, last May I asked about the landlord dwelling policy since one of the homes my parents live in, but I do not. When I bought it, they said just do a regular homeowners policy.

During an insurance review they got pissy about it and were telling me I'd need to refinance, because it's not legit. Eventually they backed down and just wanted to do the landlord policy. But it still seemed lovely.

Sperg Victorious fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 9, 2017

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
You should still do landlord if youre not there imo.

For credit itll still count for most companies, its just part of the deal. Just find the company that has the best appetite for you.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Yeah, I have no problem with the landlord policy. I was just annoyed how much they told me I didn't need it, then doing a 180 and telling me to refinance. The whole thing was purchased and financed with it not even being owner occupied. I'd switch agents before I refinanced.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Sperg Victorious posted:

Yeah, I have no problem with the landlord policy. I was just annoyed how much they told me I didn't need it, then doing a 180 and telling me to refinance. The whole thing was purchased and financed with it not even being owner occupied. I'd switch agents before I refinanced.

WTF is wrong with your agent that he thinks he has a say in your loan? If the bank knew it was NOO when you bought or refinanced, or if you bought it as a primary residence and waited three years before moving, then no fraud has been committed. Even if that is not the case, why does your insurance agent care what sort of loan you have? I would get a new agent on principle.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Just moved to the US so not that great with health insurance.

Anyways, my wife has a health insurance which essentially covers 80% and I guess it is "decent." If I was added on to her insurance, it would be basically $75/month. The individual deductible is $500 and the family deductible is $1500.

The insurance card says Office visit copay $35, emergency room $250, Retail RX $10/$40/$80/30%. Mail Order RX $25/$100/$200/40%

I am currently on a HSA plan with my current company, and the personal deductible is $1500/$5000. I pay $230/month for premiums. On my insurance card it says Deductible $1500\5000m Fam Ded: $3000\$10000 and Coins: 90%\60%

Is there ANY reason why I shouldn't cancel my insurance and get added to hers?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Make sure your doctors are in network and then...nope. that sounds way better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Jastiger posted:

Make sure your doctors are in network and then...nope. that sounds way better

And if they aren't then consider new doctors.