Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serf
May 5, 2011

D&D is really a bad choice if every player wants to have equal creative input and narrative control unless you either have a good GM (which Griffin is) or you do this:

Waffleman_ posted:

Keep it D&D but make it all wizards. Wizard quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
There's a lot more Travis actually could be doing but he seems completely unaware of it.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I'm not familiar enough with D&D 5e in particular but assuming they went druid/cleric/wizard (i.e. different spell lists) I could see this working quite well, as a compromise.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Then you're just playing Ars Magica :v:

or Unknown Armies if you really wanna get weird

Alaois fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 20, 2017

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Wizards and Wyverns.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Wizards are for nerds.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Or do all martial. My Ranger, My Rogue, and My Barbarian

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The Hogsbottom Three are Bard, Druid, and Fighter. That seems to work out pretty alright for balance since the druid is usually drunk and they talk their way through most encounters.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Kenny Logins posted:

I'm not familiar enough with D&D 5e in particular but assuming they went druid/cleric/wizard (i.e. different spell lists) I could see this working quite well, as a compromise.

Druid is fun times and does give you access to spells so you have something to do. Moon druid is pretty fun at in your face fighting too so could still satisfy the Magnus rushes in type character.

Personally now that I've started playing spellcasters in D&D 5e I don't think I'll ever go back to a non-caster class. They have so much fun. I'm playing a warlock in my current game which is the closest to do the same thing every round problem that fighters and rogues have since you have a cantrip that is going to outdamage any other thing you could do, but you still have lots of great crowd control combat options and out of combat magic options that there's no reason to feel limited by your skillset.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

greatn posted:

The Hogsbottom Three are Bard, Druid, and Fighter. That seems to work out pretty alright for balance since the druid is usually drunk and they talk their way through most encounters.

Is the class of Zhubin's character ever actually mentioned? I was wondering about that.

Also, it's worth noting that the Flophouse episodes have had a total of two fights across five hours of podcast. They're even more story-oriented and combat-light than the McElroys.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

inthesto posted:

Is the class of Zhubin's character ever actually mentioned? I was wondering about that.

Also, it's worth noting that the Flophouse episodes have had a total of two fights across five hours of podcast. They're even more story-oriented and combat-light than the McElroys.

Yeah Tanzer is a fighter, but his weapons are a rapier and a whip which aren't quite what you'd call standard fighter gear.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

greatn posted:

There's a lot more Travis actually could be doing but he seems completely unaware of it.

Travis seems to have totally forgotten that Magnus is now a dual-class fighter/rogue

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Guess what, rogues don't get to do anything in combat either.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Am I the only one who wonders if the classical music added to the mammoth area was for them from a Car Boys viewer

Alaois posted:

or Unknown Armies if you really wanna get weird
I feel like UA does the "Batman ranks" thing pretty well, and it's considerably simpler than D&D.

They'd definitely have to remove the sanity meters, though. That gets a little too dark for what they usually go for.

I'm on the side of "changing the system would be more trouble than it's worth for them, but a very simple system would facilitate the story better".

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Art Boys

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

showbiz_liz posted:

Travis seems to have totally forgotten that Magnus is now a dual-class fighter/rogue

Well it did allow him to get the Thieve's Cant messages in the newest episode so it's not as if it's gone completely unnoticed so far.

The one time I played D&D 5th edition (most of a campaign, about 10 sessions) I played a rogue and I was sort of frustrated by how ineffective I was in combat. One of my character choices was something to the effect of "my character's family got ambushed when he was a kid so now he's super cautious and careful at all times" but then I would get sneak attacked on by goblins and roll a 3 for my initiative which made no sense. Looking back now, I think I really just needed to wait until I leveled up a bit.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm constantly amazed by Car Boys completely accidental yet utterly breathtaking art. Like the bridge flying in the wind last week. I don't know how they consistently find and create these bespoke, unintentional moments out of a halfway finished driving game.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

purple death ray posted:

I'm constantly amazed by Car Boys completely accidental yet utterly breathtaking art. Like the bridge flying in the wind last week. I don't know how they consistently find and create these bespoke, unintentional moments out of a halfway finished driving game.

That whole episode I kept thinking "I wish I could paint so that I could do a whole series of that ship flying over the mountains." Deepart.io seemed like the next best thing.

(I hope they go to the Utah map at some point. I bought the game and it's my favorite place to just drive around in - it's huge and you can drive up every mountain in it, and it's got some ~breathtaking vistas~.)

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS5Q6CaJ4oI

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

holy poo poo that ending

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Yeah, that was a wild ride all the way through right up to the very last second.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
The elf husband coming in for the kiss was terrifying.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Asiina posted:

The elf husband coming in for the kiss was terrifying.

I have seen the kiss mod in action and every time it goes to black the player and NPC are supposed to change pose, so all the dead NPCs made it so much funnier. Bone Dogg 4 life, but I hope they pick a vanilla race for 2.0, so they really can gently caress it up with all the awful mod outfits.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Psychedelicatessen posted:

I have seen the kiss mod in action and every time it goes to black the player and NPC are supposed to change pose, so all the dead NPCs made it so much funnier. Bone Dogg 4 life, but I hope they pick a vanilla race for 2.0, so they really can gently caress it up with all the awful mod outfits.

They virtually confirmed at the end of this video that that's the plan for the next playthrough. I'm glad, too!

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

I'm very happy that Nick made a QPU alignment joke. Everything feels right about it

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Reformed Pissboy posted:

I'm very happy that Nick made a QPU alignment joke. Everything feels right about it

I dunno, I thought it felt slightly off.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
I can't express how much I love the Chumbawamba discussion on the latest CGI

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I really like that Touch The Skyrim is gonna be divided up into versions, it keeps it fresh. The 'ticking clock' of precariously stacking mods on top of each other hopefully will stop them from dwelling on stuff too long, like Car Boys used to do with Busto.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Glad to see the Sky Galleon plan fall afoul of the simple fact that an airborne sail-ship will turn over from the wind. Because the sails are on top.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006

Stroop There It Is posted:

Am I the only one who wonders if the classical music added to the mammoth area was for them from a Car Boys viewer

If 90% of the new mods aren't made with the intention of getting Nick's attention because he knows Griffin will think it's funny, they're doing the whole thing wrong.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Oh god I've started watching The Bachelor

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Oh god I've started watching The Bachelor

I kinda watch it, but it's often too painful so I watch it while doing other things, lest my skeleton launch itself into orbit Iron Giant style

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Spaced God posted:

I kinda watch it, but it's often too painful so I watch it while doing other things, lest my skeleton launch itself into orbit Iron Giant style

The Canadian one they just finished was good and not at all cringey so I thought I could watch this one as well, but man it's so awkward. I have to distract myself or I too lose my skeleton.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Lotta bonedawgs up in this piece.. Starting to feel like da sharez0ne

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I finally got around to the live episode of TAZ and god drat what a good episode that was. The John Cena joke was kind of predictable, but it still killed me.

But doesn't Travis work full time for MaxFun? How little do they pay him that Clint still has to claim him as a dependent?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Cmon man

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

inthesto posted:

I finally got around to the live episode of TAZ and god drat what a good episode that was. The John Cena joke was kind of predictable, but it still killed me.

But doesn't Travis work full time for MaxFun? How little do they pay him that Clint still has to claim him as a dependent?

Less than $4050 unless he's disabled.

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

Spaced God posted:

There's a new season of Terrace House starting soon, so you could watch that and have the cringe mitigated by the language barrier, while also puzzling at the bizarre social pressures these cute japanese 20somethings enforce on each other for some reason :confused:

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

this last one fully captures the essence of car boys. it's perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I finally caught up on TAZ and even though I like the guest episodes, I can see why people were frustrated with month-long breaks because god drat this is a good arc.

I don't know how Griffin keeps making up better and better premises for each arc. It's incredible.