Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

botany posted:

so.

plague, huh.

Hospital beds, full strength medicine, and a good doctor with 1 on his doctoring skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Teikanmi posted:

Hospital beds, full strength medicine, and a good doctor with 1 on his doctoring skill.

hm cool i've so far researched one single thing since it's pretty much the start of the game (wasn't hospital beds)

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
i think I'm good though, i've barely managed to get all 3 infected colonists to the immunity stage.

edit: is it safe to let the newly immune people walk around and work even though they still have the plague?

botany fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 22, 2017

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Zhentar posted:

The first 50% of protection reduces damage taken from each hit. Each percentage point between 51% and 100% adds a 1% chance to deflect, eliminating all damage taken. So "100%" protection armor offers a 50% chance of taking 0 damage from a hit, and the hits you do take will do 50% damage. Past 100%, each percentage point adds 0.25% damage reduction and 0.25% deflection chance. So a 102% protection armor has a 50.5% chance of deflection and 50.5% damage reduction.

ah I knew it wasn't going to be that big of a deal. :sigh:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

botany posted:

i think I'm good though, i've barely managed to get all 3 infected colonists to the immunity stage.

edit: is it safe to let the newly immune people walk around and work even though they still have the plague?

Yeah they are neither in danger nor infectious at that point

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

They're never infectious AFAIK. But if they were, they still would be while immune to it.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Google Butt posted:

I bought this last night. Is it generally best to learn the game without any mods first, or are there some necessary QOL types mods I should pick up?

Play it, get annoyed, mod it. This may take only a few minutes or multiple days!

Edit: Didn't refresh the page whoops.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

botany posted:

The disease stuff isn't really detailed at all. Pawns aren't infectious, they just got infected by the RNG at some point and the game didn't tell you until the disease had developed a bit.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Slime posted:

The disease stuff isn't really detailed at all. Pawns aren't infectious, they just got infected by the RNG at some point and the game didn't tell you until the disease had developed a bit.

oh really! i saw some advice on the internet to wall off infected pawns so as not to spread the infection...

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Also a daily reminder that Penoxycyline will immediately jack immunity of most diseases to 60% on taking a dose. The item description makes it sound like it's preventative only, making it go from marginally useful to a miracle cure. The only part that sucks is it doesn't help with the flu.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Need to learn how to just get all my pawns to take penoxalyne every week and stock it in the dinning room.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!
Does anyone have some free newbie advice that can save me effort early on?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dejawesp posted:

Does anyone have some free newbie advice that can save me effort early on?

build a table and a couple of stools early, save yourself the dumbest -5 mood penalty

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Azhais posted:

build a table and a couple of stools early, save yourself the dumbest -5 mood penalty

Hey thanks.

What should I research first and why?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Uh, whichever one lets you use the electric cooking stoves. I tend to beeline microelectronics basics after that to get communications gear for trading, then defensive stuff.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Heironomous Alloy wrote a pretty good guide. Bit of a read though, but skimming some of the initial stuff (colonist selection, where to settle as a beginner, etc) would be useful.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=813720217

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Heironomous Alloy wrote a pretty good guide. Bit of a read though, but skimming some of the initial stuff (colonist selection, where to settle as a beginner, etc) would be useful.

Holy poo poo the book mod. That's a good pedigree. I'm going to read the whole thing.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I meant to say a couple of days ago, I read this through and it's Top Quality. Even as someone with a bit of time in the game it's good to brush up on the fundamentals, and this helped with that in a clear way.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Is it better to build a bunch of separate buildings for your base or just one big one?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Are your individual buildings/rooms fire proof? Cause a gigantic blaze turning everything, and everyone, you've worked on to cinders in front of your eyes is definitely a thing. Though I do tend to try to stick with one roofed in compound for winter time cold snaps and toxic fallout events and the like.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

prom candy posted:

Is it better to build a bunch of separate buildings for your base or just one big one?

Depends on where you are

If you're building in an easy temperature biome you basically have to do separate buildings that enclose geothermal vents/growing areas/building areas until you get decent clothes that prevent heat stroke or hypothermia.

If you're in an easy biome there's really no point to making separate bases unless you want the pawns to walk more for some reason

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's always worth having an enclosed base, if for no other reason than to mitigate toxic fallout and making heating more efficient

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

you needn't have an enclosed base to mitigate toxic fallout, you only need a rooftop. an entirely enclosed compound doesn't make a ton of sense in hotter biomes, but it's a requirement in colder ones. that's the basic rundown.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Any map that has more predators than prey, or if you're farming in unenclosed spaces and don't want assholes to come eat up all your crops, you pretty much have to wall up at least somewhat.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

I like to wall off a large 'castle' and build a smaller enclosed base within it. Though I might try moving to a cold biome and doing some sort of super sperglord fort.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah, i guess the question touches a couple different concepts. it makes sense to wall in a rather large area most times to keep your farming safe in basically every situation. even if it is a fairly half-hearted walled area with a door and everything, it'll at least keep people safe from manhunter packs and casual animal attack. a place that is climate-controlled, however, is a largely different matter. warm biomes generally don't get heatstroke-inducing hot and therefore it doesn't make sense to cool most of the place; the freezer, the bedrooms, and the workshops are basically it. furthermore, due to how coolers work, it gets more complicated to work out cooling in a larger compound. it makes more sense to just have a half-dozen smaller buildings that just so happen to have rooftops between them.

colder biomes, however, EASILY get cold enough to induce hypothermia with many different kinds of clothing, and heating a place is relatively simple because you can just throw more heaters at the design until it's comfortable. at that point, it makes sense to fully enclose the living areas.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Keep in mind that if sappers show up with raids they can and will make a mess of whatever walls you're using to enclose your space. Keep some defensive emplacements near your outer walls just in case someone breaks through.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Coolguye posted:

colder biomes, however, EASILY get cold enough to induce hypothermia with many different kinds of clothing, and heating a place is relatively simple because you can just throw more heaters at the design until it's comfortable. at that point, it makes sense to fully enclose the living areas.

Even if you don't necessarily enclose it all, in cold maps it's very useful to built a lot of roofs between everything so you can keep the ground clear of snow.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

This sword got made in my game last night and I had a good laugh at the expense of the guy on it.

Someone on reddit pointed out that the one that made the sword is the mom of the female colonist on the sword, which I missed before. Also great.

My only regret is that those two are basically my best shooters and I can't give either the sword (though I think one of them has decent melee so I could switch if I really wanted to).

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Wow this game is tough.

I followed the guide and built the growing fields, the stockpile, the turbine, the walk in freezer but all of it was just half way done before two pawns collapsed of severe illness. The third pawn is supposed to save them but has no beds to put them in.

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 23, 2017

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Beds should really be a number one priority, sleeping outside on the ground is a one way ticket to mental breaks. That said you were screwed either way, it happens. Just have to restart sometimes.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dejawesp posted:

Wow this game is tough.

I followed the guide and built the growing fields, the stockpile, the turbine, the walk in freezer but all of it was just half way done before two pawns collapsed of severe illness. The third pawn is supposed to save them but has no beds to put them in.

Sleeping spots count as beds. They suck but it will allow rescue and capture. You might have to have them set to medical to rescue, can't remember. Also placing them inside as just regular colonist "beds" will ensure your colonists are sleeping where you want them to instead of where they just decide to collapse.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Second try. All three pawns ran out of food even though there are still 9 packaged survival meals left. 3 synchronized cases of severe illness in their beds. I think all three will die.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
"Hey Stace, did you know there's an injured, bleeding boomrat wandering around outside?"
"Yeah, I shot him! Just, y'know, cause!"

"...ok well he just exploded and is burning up our potato fields. Do you think we should put the fire out? I have this strange feeling like fighting fires is the number one priority of everyone here, but no one is fighting the fire..."
"Can't talk, building a walk-in fridge!"

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I sent my first raiding party. I brought enough steel to build a little bunker, a bunch of assault rifles, two snipers, and a fast-walker bionic legs guy to run around wearing a power shield to draw aggro. The raid went great and the enemies started to flee, but shortly after the fight a bunch of my guys came down with the flu. I had them rest in the former enemy base and gave them some meds, but the looting timer is up now and we're kicked back to the overworld map. Will the disease progress while travelling, or is pawn health status frozen while in a caravan? I don't want these guys to die while travelling. It's about a 3 day trip back to base.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'd imagine so. RimWorld goes overboard tracking pawns, even if they are not actively on your loaded map. I can't imagine the same doesn't go for your pawns. See the last few pages for a discussion about it.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Praise the lord a ship exploded in the atmosphere and 110 bloody rabbit chunks rained down from the sky. We will eat like kings tonight.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Dejawesp posted:

Praise the lord a ship exploded in the atmosphere and 110 bloody rabbit chunks rained down from the sky. We will eat like kings tonight.

The Good Randy Giveth, The Good Randy Taketh Away.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Okay my colony is currently doing pretty okay which is a sure sign that everything is about to go tits up. How do I prepare for it. I have a rifle and a pistol and a pacifist doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
I had about 50 mechanoids littering my map from poison ship attacks.

I didn't shut them down and left them out there to twitch, realized last night you can disassemble them for components. :shepface: