Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Pick 'em: It's not easy

Triple Crown Championships
Oklahoma City Bombers (c) @ South Bolton Eazy W's

UNIFICATION MATCH!
Doom (tri) unify vs. both retain vs. @ Warriors (us) unify

DL Collins, send down Mark Grace. Call up Eddie Mathews and Mike Schmidt, new lineup

2B Jackie Robinson
1B Roger Connor
LF Al Kaline
CF Duke Snider / Andre Dawson Platoon
RF Harry Heilmann
3B Eddie Mathews / Mike Schmidt Platoon
C Ted Simmons
SS Robin Yount

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

UNIFICATION MATCH!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Pick'Em: Champs retain.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

UNIFICATION MATCH!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Warriors and Bombers

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Pick them: champs retain.

TKBomber7285
Feb 20, 2011

UNIFICATION MATCH!

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
pickit
champs retain

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Champs retain!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Champs retain.

No unification.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Everyone retains.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Everyone retains.

yeah

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Champs retain

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

champs retain!

Forzelt
Jul 23, 2012

Variance? Fuck that noise.
Champs retain

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

SUPER LEAGUE SEASON XXI 1/3 THROUGH TE SEASON PICK 'EM UPDATE

PLAY THAT FUNKY RESULTS MUSIC

YOU CAN CHECK TO SEE HOW THESE WERE CALCULATED HERE

IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES - PLEASE QUOTE THIS POST AND LET ME KNOW!!! I WILL GO BACK AND CORRECT.

I DID PRE-SEASON AND CURRENT PICK 'EM IN LIKE A DAY I WILL TRY NOT TO PROCRASTINATE IN THE FUTURE.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Guess I should get back to pick'em. Champs retain.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Champs do their thing and retain.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Sub-Par League IX, Week 9darft fdatdy dfraftDRDFTDRAFTDFADRADT

Games of the Weak

Keith Wuncler CXXXIV posted:

Testimony of Tommy "the Glove" Glavine at the Trial for the Murder of Frankie "Freak" Robinson

"Listen, it was a real bad time for the gang. Real loving bad. We ain't landed a real score in weeks, everyone's spirits were in the shitter. The Boss, Da Madman, he gets an idear. A great idear. We was going to hit this old timey place, right? Shoulda been pushovers. Everyone's excited to finally get in on some action. So we heads out to Plimouth, or what the gently caress ever place. The fact it was, like, a fort, shoulda been a warning that we were biting off more than we coulda chew.

"We figger that, well, since we was here and all, may as well case the joint. I gots the job of starting pitcher so it's my 'honor' to test them boys out. Ya think those old timey guys ain't no thing. The rest of the gang had some luck at first. Manny the Man, he came in bats all lit up and got a triple, got a run on the big board, good start, right?

"Wrong. Wes hosed up. I go in and thinking they can't handle my hot poo poo, and gently caress, I got lit the right gently caress up. It happened so fast. That Dutchman drew da walk, then Brouthers doubled, and somehow Delahoonty hit a homer. I still can't believe it. What the gently caress is a weedy little guy like him hitting dingers? Needless to say, we was mightily screwed. Da Madman was looking at me like he was gonna kill me and ain't no blaming him for that. When da pitcher singles off ya and scores another run, you gotta hang your head in shame. No way are the boys gonna let me live that one down.

"And dat was only the first innin'. Those fuckers kept goin' in the second and we looked like chumps standing out dere while they went all over da bases. So's dats another two runs when Brouthers and O'Rourke hit there singles, see? Da boss was angry as hell. 'What are you doing?' he kept sayin' over and over. Cy Young hittin' another ribbie single was the last straw, I got hauled out right fast.

"It's why I'm state's witness, chief. I ain't ashamed of sayin' that if I step in Midway again I'm a dead man. Especially with that business with the Freak. I figgers it must have been somethin' the boss did because he's pushin' up daisies now! No way he survived that.

[Murmuring heard]

"What? Oh right. After I was...retired for the day, Cy Young thought he could continue beating us around. He made a big mistake, that one. Ol' Tomatoeface took a walk, and it's like we got it all figgered out. Eddie Rent took another walk and den everyone just hit singles all over the place. I couldn't quite see, the boss was working me over with the ol' brass knuckles for fuckin' up the game, but it was a good rally, real good. Was only 8-6 by de time we was all done.

"We coulda made it. A little more time. Greggie kept the kibosh on the old timers, he kept them confused. Manny the Man even hit one last homer for the gang in the 9th, but it was too late. Fat Al popped out and we was done. It must have been at that point when Frankie got popped. Ain't no one seen him since the Premods started celebrating their win. I think the boss panicked, and did somethin' rash. He had the gang go out and try to teach 'em a lesson in messing with us guys. They laid hands on 'im and that was that.

"If you ask me, the boss sold him out. I think they wanted someone to whack as a sign of goodwill, ya know, how we used to settle feuds during the days of the Commission.

[More murmuring]

"Whaddya mean Frankie's been found? He's in da hospital? For what?"

"My humblest apologies for the interruption, Lords of the court. I am known as Peter Ladd and I have to confess to a most terrible error on the part of the colony."

"Wait, you're that loser from Plimouth!"

"I do not know what you mean by 'loser' but I am the Lord Proprietor in service of His Majesty's Royal Chartered Company for Plimouth. As these knaves had affronted the colony with their rude speech and rough manners, though the Christ has graced us with the victory deserved of such devout men, we felt it prudent to not let such boors trammel the rights and privileges of good Englishmen. So, ah, we held an open court and put Master Robinson in the stocks. But it was only for a few hours!"

"So you didn't whack him?"

"Good sir, I can state that we had no intentions of harming him. The stocks is a devise for which, upon the shame and opprobrium of the entire town is visited on him, he is free to go the wiser for the experience. Ah, just that, when suffering the just length of punishment, he fell off and tore his ankles. A terrible tragedy!"

"Oh poo poo. poo poo poo poo poo poo. So da boss ain't out to get us killed?! Whaddya mean this is all public record, I can't know the boss know I broke da Omerta. Can't I get witness protection? No? Fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!"

[Transcript ends]

EMENDED NOTES ON A POINTLESS HEARING

- Fat Albert...still is kind of sucking.

- Manny! Went 5-5 and now is purely average in BA. That's Manny for you.

- Pack it up, Delahanty dingered. I couldn't make that up if I wanted to.

- The multiple errors Delahanty is responsible for, is most definitely something I didn't have to make up though. :allears:

Box Score

Frank Gaiman posted:

BERNIE WOULD HAVE WON THE #1 PICK. BERNERS DON'T, THOUGH

Burlington - It's been a tough time for the Berners. From "2nd-best team vs. Kensei's Zephyrs" to "good team that had to make a brief Gauntlet run," and now "team in serious danger of having to appear in every single round of THe Gauntlet.

But hey, it's early, and there's certainly an advantage in getting out to a slow start: a high pick in the Super Draft.

So naturally the Berners went out and beat the Dinosaurs today, finishing May at 22-35 and thus failing to qualify for the #1 pick.

Berner third baseman Joe Sewell undertood the greater context. With a 2-0 lead in the fourth inning, he booted an easy double play ball hit by Edgar Martinez, putting two on with nobody out. That helped extend the inning long enough for Buddy Myer (who's having an incredible season holy poo poo) to wrap a homer around the foul pole for a three-run homer and 4-2 lead.

And it should've stayed that way.

In the dugout, GVOLTT addressed his team. "Folks, it's not important to win every day. If we get that #1 pick, we will win far more games than if we just won today. Let it go."

Alas, the Berners' shortstop is Derek "YEAH JEETS" Jeter, a man who respects the game too much and plays the game too much the right way and really just has such a high baseball IQ. He couldn't abide by this.

Naturally he singled up the middle and then stole a base. He even keyed the rally further, getting another hit as the Berners batted around at his behest, and leaving the inning with a 6-4 lead.

The Dinosaurs, meanwhile, really did want this game, as no team has been able to create separation in their division. But the Berners' bullpen is pretty ok and the Dinosaurs just couldn't get anything going.

The Berners lost the #1 pick but won the game by the score of 7-4.

"GODDAMMIT JEETS," shouted GVOLTT. "IS IT SO HARD TO LOSE ONE SINGLE GAME?"

"Coach, let me tell you about a game I love. A game called baseball," began Jeter.

"Ugh, no thanks," said Forzelt, who abruptly left the podium, not wanting anything to do with this.

"Did you know that a baseball has 108 stitches?" asked Jeter. "It's the perfect number. It's a lucky number in some cultures. Did you know that I've had sex with 108 women?"

GVOLTT raised his eyebrow. "I would've thought the number was higher."

"Oh, it is higher," said Jeter. "But I just meant in 2017 to date. A shame it's so low, but with the imminent demise of the honeybee and thus roughly 60% of the world's produce, I can't just give out gift baskets in good conscience."

"Whatever," said GVOLTT. "What does this have to do with your unwillingness to get the #1 pick?"

Jeter shrugged. "It's pretty clear that the #1 in this draft is Ted Williams. And don't get me wrong, Teddy Ballgame is a fine hitter."

GVOLTT nodded.

"But he's not a winner."

"WHAT?"

"Think about it. What did he ever win? For all his prowess, he never once got a World Series. He seems to always be in the draft, and teams only get into the draft because they died. No, I think it's pretty clear that Ted Williams is just a stat collector, and not that good."

"Buddy, you'd better hope we never get into the Super League because I'm pretty sure SLUG LYFE would kick your rear end for saying that."

But The Captain just smirked. "Oh, I don't think you have to worry about that anytime soon. Enjoy your non-#1 pick, ya dingus."

GAME NOTES

- Good lord, Buddy Myer

- The Worst Dinosaur is Babe Ruth. Raise your hand if you saw that coming.

Box Score

Team Statistics

Analysis

You need to get your defense in order.

Analysis

More bats are always helpful. And/or a true CF.

Analysis

That's a lot of one-run games.

Analysis

Don't you have enough players already? Just skip the draft.

Analysis

Oh no!

Analysis

Oh no!

Analysis

Oh yeah!!!

Analysis

The Premodernists are probably one team where it's worthwhile to play to their weakness, i.e. holding onto the baseball.

Analysis

Every season, I split the championship belts into different leagues, and every season they get unified in interleague play. Just so you know.

Analysis

Apparently you got the bad division this year.

Analysis

Kill the undeserving.

Analysis

Enjoy your new Pedro!

Analysis

I'd say get a shortstop, but other than mid-30s Wagner there isn't really anyone worthy of a top pick. Maybe with your second pick.

Analysis

Your pitching is doing well enough that an upgrade of Lonnie Smith might make a big difference. Wait, you have Ellis Burks! Use Ellis Burks!

Analysis

Given the production you've gotten out of your bat-first positions, I'd look there first in the draft.

Analysis

You did it!

Analysis

If these guys can start hitting, they'll have a chance.

Analysis

Not a lot of options in the draft that fit this gimmick.

Analysis

Nice to see sanity prevail in some places.

Analysis

Meh.

Standings

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Congratulations to Armitage for securing the #5 pick for what amounts to pocket change. On the other hand, apparently my team isn't anywhere near as good as I thought so I'm not sure the pick would've made that much difference for me.

Anyway, roster move now that Gwynn's healthy.

1.) Lonnie Smith to bench, the Griffey/Burks platoon to CF, Gwynn to right field.
2.) Let's see what Paul Molitor can do. Please put him at 2B in all lineups, moving Madlock to the bench.

Thanks.

FairGame fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 23, 2017

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

So, the Super-Draft I believe has officially started. Gabriel Pope is up with the first pick in the draft.

Here's the Google Doc.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
I'm offering my 1918 Babe Ruth for trade as long as one of my draft choices is on the board. If you're interested, PM me or respond in here or on twitter: @cmbatter

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

e: Actually, I'll PM, that'll work.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Is trading still limited to teams in the same league, btw?

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Is trading still limited to teams in the same league, btw?

Yes (ish) you can trade (and receive) picks to other leagues effective immediately but any players on your roster have to be delivered after the season

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Sweep and then get swept. C'est la vie. Replace Simmons with Williams at CF for this week. Can't go having any injuries.

Pick Em:

Champs retain.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Forgettables draft '47 Ted Williams. Berners are on the clock. Draft sheet

Immediate changes:

Send Sam Rice to the minors to make room for Teddy.

Sliders
Stealing Bases: 0
Aggressively Tagging Up: 0
Letting pitchers pitch through trouble: -1
Letting Pitchers rack up high pitch counts: 1

Non-DH Lineup vs. RHP
1. 2B Lou Whitaker
2. 3B David Wright
3. CF Richie Ashburn
4. LF Ted Williams
5. SS Ernie Banks
6. 1B Eddie Murray
7. RF Gary Sheffield
8. C Tony Pena
9. [pitcher]

Non-DH Lineup vs. LHP
1. 2B Lou Whitaker
2. 3B David Wright
3. CF Chet Lemon
4. LF Ted Williams
5. SS Ernie Banks
6. 1B Eddie Murray
7. RF Gary Sheffield
8. C Tony Pena
9. [pitcher]

DH Lineup vs. RHP
1. 2B Lou Whitaker
2. 3B David Wright
3. CF Richie Ashburn
4. LF Ted Williams
5. SS Ernie Banks
6. 1B Eddie Murray
7. RF Gary Sheffield
8. DH Harold Baines
9. C Tony Pena

DH Lineup vs. LHP
1. 2B Lou Whitaker
2. 3B David Wright
3. CF Chet Lemon
4. LF Ted Williams
5. SS Ernie Banks
6. 1B Eddie Murray
7. RF Gary Sheffield
8. DH Ivan Calderon
9. C Tony Pena

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

shepard.shouldgo posted:

Yes (ish) you can trade (and receive) picks to other leagues effective immediately but any players on your roster have to be delivered after the season

Duly noted.

Sadly, FairGame, while Brett is available, you already traded the first-rounder, so... we'll talk after the season!

(don't get murdered)

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

WHAT the HELL happened?

Mark Langston to SP2, Bill Donovan to LR, Lance Johnson to CF, and Bill Dahlen to 2B. DH Lineup for the next week to be:

1. Wee Willie Keeler
2. Lefty O'Doul
3. Bill Terry
4. Mel Ott (DH)
5. Travis Jackson
6. Bill Dahlen
7. Lance Johnson
8. Mike Schmidt (3B)
9. Carlton Fisk

GVOLTT
Dec 27, 2012

Honestly, I don't know what I want to put here, so I'm going with this.

The Burlington Berners are proud to select...Pedro Martinez '99.

To make room for him on the roster, Don Newcombe to LR, Watty Clark to SR, Tyler Clippard back to minors. Pedro Martinez is slotted into SP3.

Since that affects my personal C orders, just make Roy Campanella the personal C for everyone but Bob Gibson, for whom Bill Dickey catches.

mrnoun and the Luna Landers are up!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Pitching: Demote Kline and put Jackson in his spot.

Hitters: Robinson to DL. Call up Edmonds.

New Lineup:

1. 2B Altuve
2. RF Giles
3. LF Manny
4. DH Justice
5. 3B Rolen
6. CF Edmonds
7. C Hartnett
8. 1B Pujols
9. SS Renteria

vs LHP - Mitchell as DH, Grissom as CF.

This may change if I manage to get to draft.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
My trade offer of Ruth for picks on board has been rescinded.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
Luna Landers select '97 Pedro obviously.

GVOLTT! '99 Pedro was on the original Landers, and most of my other teams. Would you be willing to swap him back to me for the '97 version, plus some small compensation?

In the meantime, changes:

SP Whitmore
SP Pedro <---next starter
SP Bryn Smith
SP Saberhagen, Danning PC
SP Soto

CL Lee Smith
SU Dave Smith
SR Harvey
SR Bolin
MR Hooton
LR Scott

Remove the PC order on Hooton, since he's not starting anymore. Lavelle to the minors to make room for Pedro.

Finally, Pick 'em: Champs retain.

Edit: TMMadman on the clock.

mrnoun fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 23, 2017

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Oh yeah. All retain.

GVOLTT
Dec 27, 2012

Honestly, I don't know what I want to put here, so I'm going with this.

mrnoun posted:

Luna Landers select '97 Pedro obviously.

GVOLTT! '99 Pedro was on the original Landers, and most of my other teams. Would you be willing to swap him back to me for the '97 version, plus some small compensation?
I'm inclined to say no, but what sort of compensation do you have in mind? Looking for 3B, SS, RP; probably would only get the latter if it's small compensation.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Please sit down poor sore McGraw for the week with the appropriately named Hardy Richardson.

Make Stenzel the full-time CF.

Thanks.

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!
Hi there! The Rakers' first round pick is on sale - I'd like a 3B or an SS in return.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I was betting on the Warriors to do better when I traded my SD pick to Craig but I could have never expected this much better

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

gingemidget posted:

Hi there! The Rakers' first round pick is on sale - I'd like a 3B or an SS in return.

Depending on what is there, I may be interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Alright, so I've archived the entirety of Super-League XVI, including the EC, Sub-Par and Super-Duper Cup. You can check it out here. My archival method is a lot more "everything and the kitchen sink" than what the others have done, but I prefer it that way. It's more autarkic that way.