Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I finished The Wire this weekend, and I really like how it ended. A fitting wrap-up for a great show. My ranking is officially 2>4>3>5>1.

I started Fargo season 2 yesterday, and it's really funny that its biggest influence is obviously DePalma, not the Coen Bros. Still enjoying it, and the cast is loving loaded between Dunst, Wilson, Offerman, my dude Donovan, and that neo-Nazi from Breaking Bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

X-Ray Pecs posted:

"When they go low, we go high" is an ideology that cost Democrats the Presidency and a shitton of down-ballot positions. You can't use ideas, reason, or truth against a 38-year-old Macklemore lookalike who thinks Black people should literally be wiped from the face of the earth.

Yeah the high ground is fine when everyone agrees it's where you should be but clearly the right doesn't give a poo poo so the democrats positioning themselves to be "morally superior" (whatever that means) is just walking into a trap. That poo poo failed and has been failing for years. It's time to fight and get active not tut tut about mores and decency.

oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh mmmmmmmyyyyyyyyyyyu gaaaaawd

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Coaaab posted:

Could Ebert have swayed internet opinion like that back then? He loved the Nolan Batmans and was generally mixed on previous Batman blockbusters.

Ebert gave Batman '89 a 2-star rating, but gave Batman Begins and The Dark Knight 4-star ratings. I think Rises got 2 1/2 stars.

Rises is a mess. Even in IMAX, which I think makes any movie better, I had the feeling I was watching a rough cut of a movie that never went through final editing stages.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the Ceremony one is pretty perfect:

https://twitter.com/noimjory/status/822630772326694912

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

I need more metal/hardcore videos of this dickweed getting clocked in the jaw. Hell, even one set to Angel of Death.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

X-Ray Pecs posted:

"When they go low, we go high" is an ideology that cost Democrats the Presidency and a shitton of down-ballot positions. You can't use ideas, reason, or truth against a 38-year-old Macklemore lookalike who thinks Black people should literally be wiped from the face of the earth.
In the case of Nazis like this dude, as much as pain me to admit, Woody Allen was right.
But did the dems do that even? I mean, they certainly focused their sights on the higher strata of society.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Honest Thief posted:

In the case of Nazis like this dude, as much as pain me to admit, Woody Allen was right.
But did the dems do that even? I mean, they certainly focused their sights on the higher strata of society.

They didn't. "Where they campaign, we don't" cost them their party.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
"if you punch a nazi, don't u sort of become a nazi? and if you burn a limo, don't u sort of become a limo?"

"I burned a limo once and now, since then, rich men are inside me all the time"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Hat Thoughts posted:

I take your word 100% on this because not only did you mention a book, but your avatar is the kind where it's like...drat this guy reads the books.

If you weren't aware it's abolitionist and martyr John Brown

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Egbert Souse posted:

Yo, the GBS Inaguration Candid Camera thread is great. CNN has a gigapixel image up that you can zoom in on.
http://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2017/01/politics/trump-inauguration-gigapixel/

I found Don Fanucci:

I found the only person in the entire crowd with the correct expression on her face:

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
A scream of terror or a yawn of boredom

or maybe a yawn of terror

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Spatulater bro! posted:

I found the only person in the entire crowd with the correct expression on her face:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

"if you punch a nazi, don't u sort of become a nazi? and if you burn a limo, don't u sort of become a limo?"

"I burned a limo once and now, since then, rich men are inside me all the time"

not emptyquoting to show my appreciation of this joke

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

not emptyquoting to show my appreciation of this joke

New episode of Chapo baby

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Patriot's Day is loving incredible.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I enjoy this punch video myself.
https://twitter.com/donswaynos/status/822806687207870464

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Reading Senator Pettigrew's 1898 speech against the annexation of Hawaii and it's loving badass cause in the beginning dude is just railing hard against imperialism and plutocracy. It's crazy to read poo poo that's over 100 years old, that's prophetic in its warnings against corporate oligarchy and the consequences of becoming an empire. It totally turns into a turd tho once he simultaneously speaks in defense of the indigenous peoples autonomy while scare-mongering the senate with bizarre race science and praise of Japan's homogenous population.

Fun fact: dude got charged with the Espionage Act in 1917 for speaking out against corporate interests leading us into WWI. He's a really strange anomaly of anti-corporate proto-libertarianism.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I think I prefer Deepwater Horizon, but, yeah, it's a pretty raw experience. What would you say was your favorite scene?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

now that's a movie I'm guaranteed never to see.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://twitter.com/aklingus/status/823272900568305664

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Elaborate

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

wyoming posted:

Good if you were looking to be converted by them, I suppose.
A good thing would to not be friends with someone that's racist and sexist.

I disagree. Like Catfish pointed out, peer pressure is a major factor in changing opinions, especially for people who haven't really examined their own perspectives critically before. I'm not saying join the young republicans or something, but minds can be changed.

FishBulb posted:

Elaborate

Peter Berg has never made bad movie, unless Deepwater or The Kingdom are bad I haven't seen them. His pedigree is enough that I'm interested despite a premise I couldn't give a poo poo about.

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 23, 2017

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hat Thoughts posted:

is any1 watching snl??

The answer to this has been "no" for at least 10 years.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

Peter Berg has never made bad movie, unless Deepwater or The Kingdom are bad I haven't seen them. His pedigree is enough that I'm interested despite a premise I couldn't give a poo poo about.

He didn't direct it, but watching Peter Berg act in Great White Hype is great. I like him in Wes Craven's Shocker too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8UgLWn9LHY

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 23, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I finished The Wire this weekend, and I really like how it ended. A fitting wrap-up for a great show. My ranking is officially 2>4>3>5>1.

People who hate season 2 Just Don't Get It.

You ever Watch Homicide? I kinda love that show.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Lurdiak posted:

People who hate season 2 Just Don't Get It.

You ever Watch Homicide? I kinda love that show.

I thought season 2 was often considered as the best/second best season. People hate that season? I loved it because it was the most focused, it just tackled two sides of one crime, and the efforts to get one over on the other guys.

I have not seen Homicide, it was also a Simon show, right?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

DeimosRising posted:

Peter Berg has never made bad movie

Is Hancock considered not bad now? I'm like 1/4 on actually liking Peter Berg movies..

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Hancock is okay. It's not perfect, and suffers a lot for trying to have its cake and eat it too, but it's a fairly enjoyable movie.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I thought season 2 was often considered as the best/second best season. People hate that season? I loved it because it was the most focused, it just tackled two sides of one crime, and the efforts to get one over on the other guys.

He had a hand in it and it's what got him into television but his biggest contribution was writing the book it was based off of. A lot of little bits in The Wire also came from Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets. I read it shortly after finishing The Wire a couple years ago, which was fun.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh man, you guys all probably already knew this, but the Magnificent Seven remake suuuuuuucks.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

now that's a movie I'm guaranteed never to see.

It's wonderfully pure capitalism - a bunch of people die and some producer's eyeballs turn into big $$ signs.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Lonesome Rhodes screamin' "SAY YOURE GONNA LOVE ME LOVE ME LOVE ME"

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's wonderfully pure capitalism - a bunch of people die and some producer's eyeballs turn into big $$ signs.

I just know there's no way a movie by Peter Berg of all people is going to be more interesting than actually being at the marathon when the bombing happened and subsequently being stuck in my girlfriend's apartment during the lockdown & manhunt. poo poo was pretty wild.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Hancock is good because Eddie Marsan is in it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Going to a 20th anniversary screening of Gummo. Not sure if there's even a point in seeing this movie in 35mm but let's find out! I feel like the print could be all kinds of hosed up.

This actually ended up being the best quality 35mm print of an old movie I've ever seen. Presumably because nobody ever wants to show it.

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 23, 2017

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I just know there's no way a movie by Peter Berg of all people is going to be more interesting than actually being at the marathon when the bombing happened and subsequently being stuck in my girlfriend's apartment during the lockdown & manhunt. poo poo was pretty wild.

Well, it's not supposed to be very wild. Stylistically and thematically, it's much closer to Spotlight.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'm imagining the bombers as looking like the Libyans from Back to the Future rubbing their hands together and cackling while a brace American jogger gasps and yells, you dirty muslims will never get away with hurting America!" while she clutches a crucifix hung around her neck and flies buzz around the bombers, whose complexions get darker in every shot and whose noses get bigger and more hooked on every close-up.

Also a scene where angel-faced white cherubic child Martin Richard asks his parents why people hurt each other. And one where people finishing the race run past the finish line directly into blood donation booths that are already set up, and one where a gutless federal bureaucrat in a bunker, his face hidden by shadows and lighting, refuses a request to send in the marines to get those dirty terrorists.

Also a scene where the one bomber guy hits his wife for wanting to go to community college, and one where the MIT cop who died sits down for dinner with his girlfriend and reflects on how happy he is, right before his shift begins. "Don't worry, honey," he says, "I definitely won't be killed by terrorists."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Yes and no. It was based upon Simon's book, Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets (which is essential reading, and several cases in the first two seasons are drawn from it), but Simon wasn't as directly involved in it as he was with The Wire. Simon spent a lot of time on the set, wrote maybe a half-dozen scripts and consulted on stories (and I think he had a producer credit during the last season or two), but Homicide was much more a Tom Fontana and Paul Attanasio show. The Wire is Simon's baby from cradle to grave.

That said, Homicide is the best television show of the 1990s, full stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
The bombers are actually portrayed basically as more competent versions of Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold.

The movie really isn't hawkish at all, even though it necessarily portrays hawkish characters. But it's incredibly poetic in its un-packaging the question of 'radicalization' - how there really is no consistency with the superficial content of Islam and the more banal conspiracy theories that the brothers also espouse, such as 9/11 being an inside job, despite their ultimate plot still pertaining to taking their mission to New York City. The two guys playing the brothers are just so loving good. This may be the best depiction of radicalized young men since Paradise Now.

• Locked thread